• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Would it be better to...

Voodoo Shaman

The Shaman of Voodoo
    Years
    ... Buy Fire Red/Leaf Green or Emerald while I'm waiting for the US release of D/P? I want to get cracking on a collection that I can transfer over and I'm wondering which is more worth while....

Thank You

Ichida

The Zealous Blue Partizan
    Years
    ... Buy Fire Red/Leaf Green or Emerald while I'm waiting for the US release of D/P? I want to get cracking on a collection that I can transfer over and I'm wondering which is more worth while....

Thank You

Well, if you're aiming for perfect collection and think you can collect 380 Pokemon before April 22. *already has* But it couldn't hurt even if you're not aiming for perfect collection. You'd have a battle team all ready and raring to go. You'll need to have FR/LG to get Buuburn and/or Electivire anyways.

Years
    I would recommend getting both Fire Red/Leaf Green and Emerald because both are good games in their own right. You need Emerald to obtain Regigigas anyway.

Voodoo Shaman

The Shaman of Voodoo
    Years
    I already did Emerald once, but it was an emulator. Anyhow, it took me about 2 days, so it was pretty easy and I won't mind doing it again. The only reason I don't really want FireRed/LeafGreen is because its the same boring story that I've done a hundred times before, but if there are Pokemon that are REALLY worth getting in it, then maybe I'll consider it...

Ichida

The Zealous Blue Partizan
    Years
    I already did Emerald once, but it was an emulator. Anyhow, it took me about 2 days, so it was pretty easy and I won't mind doing it again. The only reason I don't really want FireRed/LeafGreen is because its the same boring story that I've done a hundred times before, but if there are Pokemon that are REALLY worth getting in it, then maybe I'll consider it...

FR/LG do have some extras to the story, you know. That's why the Sevii Islands are there. If you're that bored, then play through it as the female character for a change. If you're that dead-set against buying them, then at least rent them so you can use them to get Buuburn and Electivire in D/P.

Samson

no, i don't know milk drink
    Years
    emerald is still rediculously overpriced for how long it's been out... i'd suggest getting either LF or FR for a simple 20 bucks. if you get far enough (to the sevii islands), you can easily EV train your pokes there. there are trainer's with +3 attack evs, +3 sp attack evs, +3 speed evs, +3 sp defense evs and only +2 defense evs. my togepi has been pimped out ;)

Voodoo Shaman

The Shaman of Voodoo
    Years
    emerald is still rediculously overpriced for how long it's been out... i'd suggest getting either LF or FR for a simple 20 bucks. if you get far enough (to the sevii islands), you can easily EV train your pokes there. there are trainer's with +3 attack evs, +3 sp attack evs, +3 speed evs, +3 sp defense evs and only +2 defense evs. my togepi has been pimped out ;)

Can you get any sort of Hoenn or Johto pokemon in FR/LG?

Voodoo Shaman

The Shaman of Voodoo
    Years
    Well, thank you all for your input but I think I'm gonna get Emerald. I like it's Pokedex much more and I could easily just get all the pokemond I'm missing over Wi-Fi from some generous people...

ck1109

Mew Rules!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2009
    emerald has battle frontier..............perfect if you waqnt to enhance your battling skills due to its many facilities....

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    Defenitly Pokemon Emerald, not only there are alot of Houen Pokemon there are also some Johto Pokemon as well and you don't have to waste your time in Pokemon Colossuem to get those Johto Pokemon

:t354:~*!*~Queen Boo~*!*~

ChrisG14

I'm back baby!
    Years
    I already got Emerald, and I'll restart to get the other 2 starters and the Latis siblings. Then after I get a job this summer, I'll get FireRed and/or LeafGreen to straighten things out. But since I really don't want the perfect team, I'll just trade the one's I've got in Emerald to Diamond.

Bkue

(Ba-Kooo)
    Years
    emerald has battle frontier..............perfect if you waqnt to enhance your battling skills due to its many facilities....

Yes but they wont gain levels in there, I have many hours on my emerald, But my pokemon are only lvl 47ish. I dont want to go over 50 with them though (I bet d/p has a barrier where you can only allow lvl 50 in a battle if you want)

Prof.Redwood

Researcher
    Years
    It has the 'wont listen to you till you have [this] badge' thing in it.. but its not really an issue from the previous generations, I'm pretty sure they don't let you use the palpark until you've got the national dex

btw: get fr or lg.. its a lot more useful.. 3 starters, 9 legendaries, item needed for magmar or electabuzz evo, alot from johto.. need anything else?

Obelisk

Toad Sage
    Years
    I think Emerald would be better to get its got alot more pokemon not just hoen and kanto but Johto aswell.i also think the legendaries are better aswell.

ck1109

Mew Rules!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2009
    Yes but they wont gain levels in there, I have many hours on my emerald, But my pokemon are only lvl 47ish. I dont want to go over 50 with them though (I bet d/p has a barrier where you can only allow lvl 50 in a battle if you want)

thats why it tests ur skills. it restricts u to certain levels forcing u to think up new strategies and stuff

Bliksem

The Author Pokemon
    Years
    D/P's Battle Tower, and PBR's random WiFi, auto-level/reset your Pokemon to level 50, regardless of their actual level. So a newborn level 1 Pokemon and a newly caught level 80 Arceus (hacked if you see one) will both be level 50 in battle.

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
    I would have definetly got FR/LG it's more fun and challenging (except for the battle frontier). Plus, like many other people have said, they are absolutely neccessary in obtaining the items required to evolve magmar to magmorter and electabuzz to electivire, unless you count WiFi which is sometimes a pain to deal with....

Back