• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Would you count THEM as legendary? / What makes a Pokemon Legendary?

Legendary or not? Select the Pokemon you consider Legendary

• Phione

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • Unown

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Rotom

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Dratini/Dragonair/Dragonite

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Arcanine

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Spiritomb

Votes: 7 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Colbex

Cobalt Black Creator
Years
  • I don't count any of them as legendaries.

Rotom-You can breed it

Phione-You get it from an egg

Unown- no comment

Spiritomb- Male and Female

Lucario- Just because it aired in its own movie doesn't make it a legendary.

Rotom - Agreed

Phione - Disagreed - You got Manaphy from the egg. x_X Plus Mewtwo was Mew's offspring, so whose to say we should take a less naturally gifted baby, and call it a loser and say he's normal. o_O

Unown - Basically, unown is like residue left behind from other legendaries. I dunno, maybe Arceus poops em out by the bucket loads. x_X The only time Unown has been shown to be a decent legendary (in a massive group) was in the third movie starring entei... but he doesn't count, I mean come on... he, raikou, and suicune died! (a fire and water type died in a fire. X.X) And Ho-oh and to bring them back to life...

Spiritomb - Disagreed - Spiritomb has great stats, has no weaknesses, and 3 immunities. It can also sweep or play support. Not to mention how difficult it is to obtain him. PLUS you can't say he's not legendary because of gender, because the Legendary PokeMon Heatran can be male or female.

Lucario - Agreed - If only they hadn't made Riolu...

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • I agree that unown is associated with legends but it can't be called a legend. And @ rnstyip you are correct that togekiss can learn aura sphere. Now one thing that you didn't mention is that Ash can also use aura and there are other trainers too who use aura. The question is: Should they be called legendary trainers? xD

rnstyip

"Next please!"
    Years
  • I agree that unown is associated with legends but it can't be called a legend. And @ rnstyip you are correct that togekiss can learn aura sphere. Now one thing that you didn't mention is that Ash can also use aura and there are other trainers too who use aura. The question is: Should they be called legendary trainers? xD

Should Togekiss be called a legendary then? Jk. XD

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    The only actual legendary you listed is Phione which is the offspring of Manaphy despite Phione not being able to evolve into Manaphy.

Rotom is sort of legendary even I am in between on it's status.

Although Unown technically isn't legendary it has some the mythical attributes of a legendary.

Here are the requirements to be legendary, a Pokemon may break only one of these to still be considered legendary:
    -Only one must be obtainable by legitimate means in the games
    -It cannot breed
    -It does not evolve
    -It does not have a gender
    -Usually near the end of it's regional Pokedex

GoldvsRed

Geodude is a pretty cool guy.
    Years
  • I'd definitely count Rotom, there are so many things about it are legendary. Y'know, because it can only be obtained after the National Dex (in D/P), it gains new, event-exclusive forms, and it even plays the legendary theme during its encounter. Spiritomb could sorta' count, and Phione has been stated by Nintendo to be a legendary.

rnstyip

"Next please!"
    Years
  • Phione is a Legend, but it is the weakest by far. Even a Starly can do better.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • fenyx4;4813437[SPOILER said:
    ]OK, how can you not consider LUCARIO legendary? :cer_disbelief: I mean, it's the only Pokemon that can explicitly control Aura/Ki/Chi/Chakra! Here are my other reasons:

• Lucario is frequently seen with other Legendary Pokemon:

• Mew in the Pokemon: Advanced Battles opening and in the Pokemon movie Lucario and the Mystery of Mew.
    • Dialga and Palkia in the Pokemon: Diamond and Pearl opening.
    • Rayquaza in the opening scenes of the Pokemon movie The Rise of Darkrai.
    • Heatran, Cresselia, and Darkrai on the box cover of Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia/Vatonnage.
    • Lucario is the only Pokemon that is exceptional enough to garner its own rank in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Red/Blue Rescue Team.

• Lucario is thought to be a spiritual successor to Mewtwo in the Super Smash Bros. Brawl (and it wouldn't be quite right to have a non-Legendary Pokemon do the job of a Legendary Pokemon. I know SSB isn't necessarily canon with Pokemon and Mewtwo was lower-tiered in SSB Melee, but still!)

• Lucario is associated with the Aura Guardians, a legendary group of Trainers.

• "Lucario" reversed is revealed to be "OIRACUL", which could be said to be a corruption of the word oracle. While nothing of the sort is evident in Lucario's Japanese name Rukario, it is still an occurrence worth noting.

• Lucario's name is similar to the word orichalcum, a metal that is considered to be valuable in reality and fantasy.
    • Lucario is the bearer of the titular role in the Pokemon movie Lucario and the Mystery of Mew. Such a prominent role in a Pokemon movie is usually reserved for Legendary Pokemon only. Furthermore, its view of humans was similar to that of Mewtwo in the Pokemon movie Mewtwo Strikes Back.

• Lucario's title of 'Wave Guiding Hero' also suggests that it may be viewed as a type of savior to some people.
    • Lucario has notably been shown under the ownership of skilled or exceptional Trainers (Veilstone Gym Leader Maylene, Sinnoh League Champion Cynthia, Aura-user Riley, and Aura Guardian Aaron, for example).

• Lucario is said to be based off of Anubis, a figure prominent in Egyptian mythology.

• Lucario is one of few Pokemon that can communicate in human language, a trait that is usually often observed in Legendary Pokemon.

• Dragon Pulse, a move relating to the legendary-like Dragon-type, can be learned by the non-draconic Lucario.

• Lucario is the only non-Legendary Pokemon to be a Gem Guardian in Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia/Vatonnage.

• Lucario's signature moves, Aura Sphere (Pokemon move) and Aura Storm (Final Smash in Super Smash Bros. series) are said to resemble the Hadouken of the Street Fighter series and the Kamehameha of the Dragon Ball series, respectively. Such attacks not only use a great deal of aura/ki/chi/chakra, they are also said to require exceptional skill to perform, and very few have perfected them or their variants.

• IMO, Riolu seems like an afterthought, simply added to the Pokedex in order to make a baby/cute form of the "Legendary" Lucario. It looks way too similar to Lucario with barely any effort used for differentiation, as opposed to the stark contrast between Mew and Mewtwo, whom are related.

• You have to admit, Aura-using dark wolves/jackals look awesome!

UNOWN :t201-a: - I'd term them as Legendary Pokemon because:

• They're one of the few Pokemon almost completely shrouded in mystery. As a result, much research is done to study them. Unown also appear frequently in strange tablets and writings.

• Also, Unown's relation to hieroglyphics marks them as supposedly ancient beings.

• Unown is currently the only Pokemon species that received its own Pokedex for classification. This was the Unown Dex in the Johto region.

• In Pokemon The Movie: 3, Unown are shown to have the ability to create illusory worlds, Pokemon, and alter the landscape considerably. In other scenes, they can warp reality greatly as well, similar to the effects of the Legendary Pokemon Dialga and Palkia.

• Unown also make cameos whenever Legendary Pokemon arise. Examples include when Dialga and Palkia emerged in the real world, or when other Legendary Pokemon like Giratina employ certain abilties.

• Unown are shown to exist in their own dimension/world/plane/universe, a habitat that is unheard of with "common/non-Legendary" Pokemon. However, such a habitat can be attributed to the Legendary Dimensional/Dragon Trio members, whom are frequently depicted to reside in alternate dimensions.

• In the Pokemon world, Unown are usually shown living in different ruins, such as the Ruins of Alph and the Tanoby Ruins.
    • Unown co-starred with an illusory, legendary Entei in Pokemon The Movie 3: Spell of the Unown. Again, starring movie roles usually surround Legendary Pokemon.

• Molly Hayes saw entries of Unown while browsing through a book of Legendary Pokemon in the same movie.
    • They have 26 28 unique designs based off of the Latin alphabet and punctuation! :t201-f:

---------

ROTOM doesn't seem that legendary; it seems too mischieviousand out-of-place to be legendary, and doesn't really look like a "Sinnoh "Mew"-like Pokemon. Plus, it can breed...

SPIRITOMB doesn't seem like a Legendary Pokemon either; its own 'frightful story' can be likened to those of Gengar or Ninetales.

PHIONE, IMO, is as legendary as a piece of poop. Its only purpose is to show that its far-superior, Manaphy, can breed a pseudo pre-evolution. Take Phione out of the Pokedex, and nothing would freaking happen. Manaphy, however, has a much more notable presence in the Pokemon world. Lucario and Unown both serve as much better Legendary Pokemon than Phione ever has, and they're also much more cooler and mysterious than Phione. Don't know why a Legendary Pokemon had to be w asted on Phione when 2 perfectly good candidates are available.

I also think ABSOL :t359: and ARCANINE :t059: should be full-fledged Legendary Pokemon as well. Absol'sability to foretell ominous disasters should count for something, along with its head design that looks zen-like. Arcanine is designated as the Legendary Pokemon (sheesh!), and is pretty powerful in some regards as well. Furthermore, it has been depicted with the Legendary Birds of Kanto as well, which may bear some indication as to its potent power.
    Spoiler:

My qualifications for a Pokemon to be Legendary are that it has to have either:

• played a large role in shaping the Pokemon world (pretty much all existing Legendaries save for a few),

• appear alongside other Legendary Pokemon or by their effects (Arcanine, Unown, Lucario),

• have power that approaches that of a Legendary Pokemon (Arcanine, Lucario, pseudo-Legendaries don't count),

• bear a very powerful or unique ability which is or is similar to the Psychic-type in origin (Mew, Mewtwo, Celebi, Jirachi, Manaphy, Shaymin, Lucario, Absol), or

• have 'Legendary Pokemon' status delegated to it by Game Freak. 'Phione' is the only exception to this; the only thing Legendary about it is that it was able to convince some people that even though it's a blatant Manaphy ripoff, it should become a Legendary. :cer_cry:
    Those are pretty much my views on the matter. Too bad Absol, Arcanine, Lucario, and Unown won't become official Legendary Pokemon until Game Freak says so! :cer_no: Here's hoping for future announcements of their updated status as Legendary Pokemon! :cer_nod: :cer_wink: :rambo:

Darn stupid Phione... :cer_pissed:​
    [/SPOILER]
    INDENT]

The anime cannot be used for proof, as it is not a part of the game universe.

IcyArceusRider

Nyaaaaa <3
    Years
  • Out of the pokemon you posted, I consider Rotom and Phione to be legendaries.

Unown aren't legendaries because there's so many different kinds of them, and they can't learn anything other than Hidden Power. Lucario is definitely not a legendary because it's got a pre-evolved stage. And Spiritomb is just sort of...there. It doesn't really fit into categories that I think make a pokemon "legendary."

--------------

I think a pokemon is considered legendary if it has its own battle theme when you're fighting it, or if it has the same battle theme as other legendary pokemon in its same region. Legendaries CAN have genders (Latios, Latias, Heatran). And usually, legendary pokemon will be placed at the very end of the PokeDex listing for their particular region (in National mode). I also might consider a pokemon to be legendary if it is a challenge to capture, and if there is only one and I won't get another chance to catch it elsewhere (having to save the game before you face it, in other words). Also, legendaries typically don't evolve or have pre-evolved forms, and they typically are unable to breed (exception: Manaphy/Phione).

^_^

rnstyip

"Next please!"
    Years
  • Unown is just up there cuz it being in the same section as the Kanto birds and Mewtwo in the Kanto Pokedex.

magical umbreon

Umbreon
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    nintendo makes it a legendary. if they say its a legendary, then its a legendary.we have freedom of speech and can say its a legendary but in the end whatever nintendo says goes

Heiheipig

- This is Madness? -
    Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2009
    Phione's sort of a legendary... you need Manaphy and that's a legendary. It's a legendary if it has good stats/ a signature move/ if you see it on wifi as a shiny and suspect it's hacked. -.-

Roxasabridged

Lucariowner
    Years
  • Rotom - I don't think it's a legendary... Just exceedingly rare, seeing as your character is pretty much the only person who has one. (Excluding Charon/whoever befriended it)

Phione - Maybe a semi - legendary...

Unown - If they are, they are the worst legendaries ever.

Spiritomb - Again, exceedingly rare, but not really legendary.

Lucario - I only thought of him as a legendry because I hadn't watched the anime/played the games in years, so the movie confused me a bit. I learned quickly though. Didn't stop me from thinking he is the most badass Pokemon ever.

Too bad his uniqueness is stolen by Aura - sphering wannabe's...

rnstyip

"Next please!"
    Years
  • Phione's sort of a legendary... you need Manaphy and that's a legendary. It's a legendary if it has good stats/ a signature move/ if you see it on wifi as a shiny and suspect it's hacked. -.-

There is a way to get it shiny...if you wanna know:

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2009
    Only Rotom out of that list is Legendary. Phione is a pretty much a baby pokemon(which means it's useless), Unknown aren't, Lucario isn't, and neither is Spiritomb. They're just rare, not Legendary.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2012
    Rotom - Maybe
    Phione - Yes (Offspring of a legendary)
    Spiritomb - No (Cynthia has one)
    Unown - No (Too many of them, too crappy stats, bleh)
    Lucario - No (Cynthia, Maylene and that other dude had one)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back