• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

(YGO) Your opinions on the March 2009 Banlist

Captain Blue

Blue the Justice
    Years
    Personally, the new list nerfs zombie decks. With Goyo Guardian, Mezuki, and Plaguespreader allset to limited, that makes my main strategy for my zombie deck much harder to pull off because there is only one copy of the monsters in question. In addition, they've limited Card of Safe Return, making it once again harder to take advantage of zombies because there is only one in the deck...but that's probably just me, seeing as I really don't know Duel Monsters as well as most of the other members here. Anyway, please give your opinions on the new list, which comes into effect this monday.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen yesterday
    I know that this is an old change I'm about to say, but only 1 Cyber Dragon? They could change that! I know of Proto-Cyber Dragon, but it is way harder to summon things with it, as it needs to be on the field. Bye bye C.E.D...

As for the 3 Zombies you have mentioned. Goyo Guardian seems a little fitting, but the other 2 were a bit mean. Card of Safe Return too was a little... yeah. They obviously don't like reviving tactics. But hey, lots of good cards have been moved up in my absence from the game. Monster Reborn being an example. That was Forbidden, last I checked. But Reinforcement of the Army... That had no reason to be Limited.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    Actually, I believe that the main target of this banlist was supposed to be TeleDAD. Dark Armed Dragon was finally Limited, as well as Emergency Teleport & Reinforcement of the Army being Limited and Destiny Hero - Malicious & Destiny Draw being Semi-Limited. Plaguespreader and Card of Safe Return were honestly to be expected, with the potential summon loop caused by those two cards and Imperial Iron Wall.

Honestly, if the banlist that I have seen is the correct one, the change that surprised me the most was the return of Chaos Sorcerer. While I realize that it might not be as strong in competitive play as it once was, the idea that any of the Chaos monsters could return was far from what I was expecting.

charizard_maa

Queen Chair
    Years
    Chaos Sorcerer was a surprise to me on the new banned list. It kind of made me ask why too. I mean out of all times to bring the guy back they chose now? He isn't much to be scared of as he was before but it is just strange and surprising. Be nice to see how his arrival would effect deck building but really I doubt anybody besides the old players would have a copy of him.

The limits on DAD and the whole teleporting situation I kind of saw coming.

Now excuse me as I try to find a way to get Chaos Sorcerer back in my deck. haha

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
    Yeah, Tele-DaD was definitely the target. Every last card in their central combos save for Dark Grepher got parred down. And personally I applaud the limitations of Safe Return, Mezuki, and Plaguespreader. Iron Wall loop is really nothing but a footnote in that, however; as was proven in the last shonen jump, zombie is quite capable of creating an indomitable swarm purely through recycling Mezuki and Plaguespreader, no infinite loop required. Putting a damper on that was certainly a good call.

That being said, I disapprove of the fact that Lightsworn took basically no hit whatsoever. Sure, they lost their extra copies of splashed Plaguespreader, but their central win condition is still right where we left it, save for the fact that its biggest rivals have both been crippled. Not to mention, Lightsworn got a new toy in Chaos Sorceror, quite feasibly splashable since they run Phantom of Chaos, Necro Gardna, and Plaguespreader anyway. The overall re-introduction of the Sorceror I don't mind, though. For a special summonable beatstick, it's rather tame these days since it's only 2300 Atk and loses its attack for the turn on the monster removal. It's a nice counterbalance for the Stardust whoring too.

But yeah...would have wanted to see Judgment Dragon take a hit as well, not to mention Honest, and they should seriously have brought Confiscation back. With the Black Feather/Blackwing archetype looming on the horizon, we seriously need more control in this format.

As it currently stands, I'm betting this will lead to Blackwing and Lightsworn duking it out for the title of top deck, Blackwing most likely coming out ahead simply on account of ridiculous special summon shenanigans and having all that very abusable dark support to lean on. (Dark Creator? Splashed Dark Armed? Allure? Sure; go crazy. ~~)

Ehh...yeah, I'm all for tearing down DaD, but they should have done a proper job at it and wrecked the entire established meta when they already went this far.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    Lightsworn doesn't need Judgment Dragon to win. You can take away the dragon, and Lightsworn is still as strong as ever. The dragon is pure icing and rarely "necessary." Lightsworn's main power lies in its speed and charge of the light brigade almost always ensures that Garoth/Lumina sets off on turn 1. Lightsworn is in the most bind against Royal Oppression in which the dragon can't come out, or staring at too much synchro from TeleDaD which really don't exist anymore.

I personally am confident that Lightsworn is just as strong if you do throw Judgment Dragon to 1 with TeleDAD. Which, while I'm on TeleDAD, I think that being at 1 for DAD just makes it more of a lucksack card now >>;

And since when do we not know Konami to go overboard every single time? I like Malicious at 2 again but not sure if D-Draw was needed at 2. DAD at 1 is certainly fine though i prefer 0. Emergency Teleport at 1 is difficult to say if I like it or not... it's not an original OCG card, so the "problems" in Japan weren't as crazy as we had it.

Mind Crush does counter Honest a bit if you're worried about Honest. Personally, I wouldn't really unless you're GB player. We always destroy stuff with effects anyway ><; or we get out Colossal fighter to eat the honest :P

Back