• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

You are being made homeless - what do you do?

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
    Years
    This is the question I am facing now.

Yeah, it's my own stupid fault really. Actually I blame the council, because they messed up my housing details. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I wasn't getting enough hours at work to pay my rent, although the housing people though I was earning more. Over time, this accumulated to quite a large amount.

So, I gotta pay that back. The rent isn't increasing thanks to Housing Benefit, but I have to be out of the place in a few weeks. Which gives me little time to find somewhere to stay.

I dunno what you would do, but here is what I plan to do.

1. Buy a tent, and lots of camping equipment
    2. Sell all non-essential items that I have (pretty much everything).
    3. Live out of said tent until I find a place.

I'll have to find someone to look after my cat, but I know a couple of people who are willing, so that's ok.

Moral of the story: Always pay your rent, kids.

Anyway, if you were faced with this situation, what would you do?

Squeegee Beckenheim

SB - The Hunk (Since 2005)
    Years
    If it came to this, I'd go live with relatives or friends. I would still pay rent in living with them, but I would pay a reduced amount. I'd pay the reduced amount until I could budget my money to pay the average rent in the area. Now, I would only do this if my friends or relatives saw fit. I am blessed to have kind relatives and friends that would take me in if ever the situation dawned upon me. However, I am not an adult yet, and my opinion is not exactly as surefire as say someone who already is an adult.

My mom wanted me to throw in a tip, if you have the ability, stop some habits. Example being, fast food every night or buying such things as canned drinks (alcohol, cokes, ect). You can always live off water. She also suggests that you set up a budget. Set down with a calculator, and use your clever math skills to make a budget. If you need any help, let me know. I have made a budget for school projects about 15 times.

Natsuki

.bluefang.
    Years
    *pats Toothache* Dang, I hope everything works out for you, that's seriously gotta suck. ;;~

Well, if I was on the verge of becoming homeless, I think I would first try and contact my family members and explain the situation and see if I could stay with them for a while. I would get the best paying job I was able to find and hopefully work my way back up to getting my own place again or something.

...Or I could book it as a classic hobo and wrap all my meaningless belongings in a little polka-dot handkerchief and tie it to a stick and go walk around the city holding signs made out of cardboard that read grammatically incorrect stuff like, "help asking" or something...XD

~Kelsey

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2015
    Sorry to hear Toothy I would probably contact my family, tell them the situation and see if they could help me or if they could lend me some money to help me get back on track, I would go camping in a tent though, you actually could get another job ;(

That's just my advice, but I'm 11, I wouldn't know anything about this kinda stuff

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
    Years
    I'm actually trying to make the best of a bad situation. It might be fun. I've done some camping before, did a lot of walking around the Lake District and places like that so I pretty much know what I'm doing. It'll be an adventure. Besides, I'll still get online every so often since I still have library access, and let you all know how I'm doing.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2015
    Toothache said:
    I'm actually trying to make the best of a bad situation. It might be fun. I've done some camping before, did a lot of walking around the Lake District and places like that so I pretty much know what I'm doing. It'll be an adventure. Besides, I'll still get online every so often since I still have library access, and let you all know how I'm doing.

I suppose you could go camping, it would be kinda fun but I think you couldn't stay camping forever. Some of these decisions have to be made yourself, you can always get Library access and let me us know what you're doing. If you decide to go camping for some time then you could have some fun and enjoy it, if it was me I wouldn't enjoy camping forever.

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
    Years
    I don't plan to do it forever, just a few months, until I found myself a proper place to stay. Besides, the tent I'm looking at is more of a summery type, it wouldn't really last for winter time.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2015
    Toothache said:
    I don't plan to do it forever, just a few months, until I found myself a proper place to stay. Besides, the tent I'm looking at is more of a summery type, it wouldn't really last for winter time.
    Yeah, I never thought about what you could do at Winter Time, You could probably go to a B&B for the Winter, if you go camping I hope you enjoy it

TwinScythe

-Fighting and Traveling-
    Years
    Well I don't have much of a family but I do have a storage facility so I'd stay there for the while, I've seen some rented solely for that purpose =0

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
    Years
    Actually, there is a possibility of saving myself. Apparently if I am able to get the full amount before the eviction date, I can stop the proceedings and I won't get kicked out. Now, I just have to find a way to generate about £300 with no job. Hhm, I got a few things I could sell, there is a way...

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2015
    ωєℓℓ, αт тнє ѕαмє тιмє ιт ωσυℓ∂ ∂єρєи∂ σи ωнαт уσυ'яє ѕєℓℓιиg...

Last edited:

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
    Years
    Well, I've got a fair bit I could sell. A whole slew of books, a PC, my GameCube if it came to that. I could probably get a fair bit for my PC though, it's a mid-ranging one nowadays cos I've upgraded it so much, so you never know.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2015
    αн ωєℓℓ, gσσ∂ ℓυ¢к

ιт'ѕ єитιяℓу уσυя ¢нσι¢є

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
    Years
    Well, if I'm gonna lose my house I'm gonna lose all the stuff inside it as well, so I may as well sell it all and make some money from it. Makes sense, right?

Yoko-Chan

Weirdo <.<
    Years
    joine the people who live on the streets? nah, f*ck them!! XD
    i guess i'll bye the most important stuff, and try to do the best out of my new life.
    it would have been kinda sad though :(

Drummershuff

Ultimate Blargification
    Years
    Toothache said:
    This is the question I am facing now.

Yeah, it's my own stupid fault really. Actually I blame the council, because they messed up my housing details. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I wasn't getting enough hours at work to pay my rent, although the housing people though I was earning more. Over time, this accumulated to quite a large amount.

So, I gotta pay that back. The rent isn't increasing thanks to Housing Benefit, but I have to be out of the place in a few weeks. Which gives me little time to find somewhere to stay.

I dunno what you would do, but here is what I plan to do.

1. Buy a tent, and lots of camping equipment
    2. Sell all non-essential items that I have (pretty much everything).
    3. Live out of said tent until I find a place.

I'll have to find someone to look after my cat, but I know a couple of people who are willing, so that's ok.

Moral of the story: Always pay your rent, kids.

Anyway, if you were faced with this situation, what would you do?

I'm sorry to hear that Toothy. D:

Is it possible for you to go and live with your parents until you have everything payed and sorted out and you're ready to live in another place?

-------------------
    *read futher on*
    If you sell some of your stuff you might be able to rase the £300. What about if you get a part time job at like a shop or something. I know it's not the best thing but at least it would pay the £300 then you can give it up.

Anyway, hope it get all sorted out, if you need anything just contact me. ^^

-Matt

Back