• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Your Favorite Mega Evolution

Years
  • In terms of looks, my favourite is MegaMewTwo (I forgrt which one)
    least favourite is Mega Alakazam for looks...
    Now for competitive play
    Favourites: Mega Gengar, Mega Mawile, Mega Lucario, MRGa Alkazam

Least favourite is probally TTar as he doesn't need the Mega evo and can just run AV or whatever else he runs.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    Mega-Gengar takes the cake for me. They're all pretty awesome in terms of design though. I think the only ones that disappoint me are Venusaur's (not enough "newness") and Heracross', which I think looks completely ridiculous... I feel like they strayed too far from the original Heracross design and it just ended up looking awkward and unrecognizable.

Years
  • I have two tied for my favourite. They are Mega Houndoom and Mega Garchomp. Houndoom is just so cool looking, on top of already being on of my favourite pokemon already, and Garchomp just looks down right menacing.

Aminta

past the point of no return
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2013
    It's really hard for me to pick just one in either category!

My favorites include Mega Charizard Y, Mega Mawile, Mega Absol, and Mega Garchomp. Mawile and Absol's Mega forms give them that extra "oomph" I think was missing from their designs before. I liked both of them prior to them receiving Mega forms, but I like them even more now. I think they did something great with Mega Kangaskhan as well.

I prefer Mega Charizard Y many times over Charizard X. Charizard Y keeps Charizard's iconic color scheme intact while freshening up the design and making it a little more fierce-looking.
    I have Pokemon X, so I ended up with Charizard X. I think I'd like Charizard X a lot more if it wasn't stuck with those blue flames spewing perpetually out of the sides of its mouth - The effect wasn't rendered very well and it just looks like two massive tufts of blue fur are growing there. It looks silly. I'm also a little bothered that despite being shown with blue flames emitting from its mouth, all Fire-type attacks used by Charizard X still use the normal red/orange flames.

Unfortunately I dislike a lot of the Megas.
    I think Mega Gengar looks absolutely atrocious. Gengar is a very cool and simple Pokemon and I have no idea what they were going for with Mega Gengar... it's just ridiculous.
    Mega Pinsir and Gyarados are also pretty laughable, Pinsir looks like an 8-year-old drew it and Gyarados lost its long, snakelike body and tuned into a massive pissed-off koi fish.
    Mega Aerodactyl is a joke, it's like they had no idea what to do with it so the designers drew some spikes on a regular Aerodactyl with a permanent marker and called it a day.
    The spikes on Mega Tyranitar are far too over-the-top as well, it makes the poor thing look completely unbalanced, like it could topple over at any moment.

I think they made the mistake of creating Mega forms for some already well-designed or fairly complex Pokemon.... Honestly the Mega forms would be better put to use to make some of the weaker and less interesting Pokemon stronger and more fascinating, like they did with Mawile and Absol. I mean, did Garchomp really need a Mega form? It's awesome, but Garchomp is already unusually powerful. Some poor Pokemon have been neglected for generations and could use a stat boost and a form upgrade - for example, I think those odd evolution-less Pokemon like Tauros, Zangoose, Seviper, Snorlax, and Audino have great potential for awesome Mega forms.

Years
  • Mega Venasaur, based mostly on usage. It's really the only Mega I've fiddled with a lot in game, the others not quite as much. I just like it's ability and it's capability to heal off a lot of damage. I tend to gravitate to the tougher pokes, the ones that can take a lot of punishment and just sit there like nothing's bothering them while the opponent is firing waves and waves of fireballs at their face. Mega Venasaur's added protection to 2 common attack types is pretty good, is basically what I'm saying. Absol is neat too, but I haven't personally used it for anything. It looks cool, but I don't know if I can use it quite as effectively with timing magic bounce and all of that. If your opponent isn't set for laying down hazards in their teams, it's ability doesn't really do much for you other than it's stat boosts.. in which case, I'd just default to venasaur, who's much less fragile.

The one that I really want to use next would probably be Kangaskhan, even though it doesn't really change all that much.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    In terms of battling, I love Mega Garchomp. It's got gargantuan Attack stat, allowing it to take out almost any Pokémon in sight; it doesn't even need a boost! It may be a little slower than an ordinary Garchomp, but still—it makes a fantastic sweeper. Give it a Life Orb or Choice Band, and you're good to go! If you're not a fan of those items, then you could make it hold onto an Expert Belt instead. With Expert Belt, the power of all its moves will be increased if they're super-effective to the opponent. I like Mega Blastoise as well. Its defenses are heavy, and can stall your opponent for many, many turns. I was once in a battle with it against one of my friends, and it was able to endure three Thunderbolt attacks in a row. Isn't that amazing? Not only that, but Mega Blastoise also has a decent Special Attack. Thanks to that, it should be able to take full advantage of all special-based moves it's got in its arsenal. (:

Design-wise, I really like Mega Charizard Y. It's a lot slimmer than its original form, and its wings are quite bigger. Its eyes are pretty fierce—if you stare into them for more than a second, you would immediately want to look away. I also like the design of Mega Mewtwo X, Mega Aerodactyl, Mega Tyranitar, and Mega Absol.

As for my least favorite… it would probably have to be Mega Aggron. To me, it looks like a copy of Black Kyurem, but only with a different color. xD When it came to battling, haven't found it to be very useful either. If it had better offensive stats, maybe, then I probably would have liked it better.

TheGr8

lovely pair<3
    Years
  • My favorite mega evolution is Abomasnow, I've always loved it and the design is pretty awesome on it, my least favorite would have to be Ampharos, I really just dislike it's design and just it in general.

Years
  • I caught my first ever shiny this gen and it was an Electrike. Needless to say I now absolutely love Manectric. It is my favourite mega and I love the hit and run strategy you can abuse with intimidate volt switch. Some people hate it's design but I think it's badass.

I was really excited that two of my old favourites, Houndoom and Heracross were getting megas. Houndoom looks amazing, Heracross? Not so much.

Years
  • In terms of battling, I love Mega Garchomp. It's got gargantuan Attack stat, allowing it to take out almost any Pokémon in sight; it doesn't even need a boost! It may be a little slower than an ordinary Garchomp, but still—it makes a fantastic sweeper. Give it a Life Orb or Choice Band, and you're good to go! If you're not a fan of those items, then you could make it hold onto an Expert Belt instead. With Expert Belt, the power of all its moves will be increased if they're super-effective to the opponent.

Agree that Mega Garchomp is a pretty good sweeper but its lack of speed hurts sometimes. Too bad that to hold on to the megastone for mega evolution, it's unable to use any of the held items you listed.

Years
  • I think so far, my favourite Mega has been Kangaskhan. I KNOW it's just the same but with the baby out of the pouch, but I like the simplicity of it's design.... Plus, it rocks in battle!

Gogoat Rocks!

The Hype is Real
    Years
  • All your opinions are awesome. :)
    honestly I forgot some of the megas so I've updated my likes and dislikes.

My likes: Mega Charizard X, Mega Absol, Mega Aerodactyl, Mega Houndoom, Mega Garchomp, Mega Lucario & Mega Blaziken.
    I love the designs and their all awesome when it comes to battling. :)

My dislikes(I'm just being honest): Mega Gengar. He has a bad design and reminds me to much of Gigalith(and I hate Gigaliths).
    Mega Heracross. It looks just dumb from my point of view.
    Mega Mawile. I've never been a fan of Mawile and I don't like the Design much.
    Mega Medicham. I've never been a fan of Medicham ether. when I saw it's mega evolution, I was hoping against hope that that this mega was fake. It looked so dumb.

Well I'm just being honest. but anyway. that's my update. :)

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    For anyone who frequents Serebii, he's posted some images of the official art for some of the new Pokemon and Mega's. I must say, looking at Mega-Heracross' official art makes it look a bit more acceptable in my eyes, and I like it a bit more now...
    Spoiler:

I always thought it should be part Steel type too, shame they didn't try that with the mega.

Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2013
    Favorite would have to be Mega Absol.... just looks so awesome with the wings and the... erm..... emo flip. :)

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
    Years
  • My two favorites are Blaziken and Charizard X. I love a mega-evo with a complete color change, and these are two of them. I also like Mewtwo-X, that bodybuilder shape just looks badass!

Years
  • The majority of them look pretty weird, so I'm not really a big fan of them... I do, however, really like Mega Gengar and Mega Heracross, I think they look really cool.

Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2013
    Mega Gengar is my all time favorite, with Mega Charizard X and Mewtwo X comin in at a close second because design wise, they're really awesome...I hate Alakazam's mega evolution because it's just simply ugly to me...Why have two pairs of arms like that? And Absol's mega evolution is too...I'm not sure how to put it. Too much anime pretty boy type deal? It's cool if your Absol is a female, but not if it's boy in my opinion. Why? The wings mainly, and the fur covering one eye...Does he turn into a flying duel type? If so, ok, but if not then that's just pointless to me.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    Mega Gengar is my all time favorite, with Mega Charizard X and Mewtwo X comin in at a close second because design wise, they're really awesome...I hate Alakazam's mega evolution because it's just simply ugly to me...Why have two pairs of arms like that? And Absol's mega evolution is too...I'm not sure how to put it. Too much anime pretty boy type deal? It's cool if your Absol is a female, but not if it's boy in my opinion. Why? The wings mainly, and the fur covering one eye...Does he turn into a flying duel type? If so, ok, but if not then that's just pointless to me.

Yeah, I actually agree with you on MegaAbsol's wings. They seem completely pointless, added just for the sake of a new design. It didn't gain a secondary Flying typing, so why bother adding wings to the design? Unless there's some sort of mythological basis I'm missing here, they just shouldn't be there.

Back