• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your parents reaction?

ShadowStriatonTriad

Shadow Triad Elite
Years
  • Pokemon is all I used to watch when I was a teeny-bopper. Eventually, I stopped watching it when I hit the double digits (at the time generation 3 and generation 4 were being released and I HATED it) until just recently at the end of 2011 I got back into Pokemon because I admired generation 5 and how the anime actually looked like anime, I thought Cilan was sexy, and Team Rocket are bad*** now. x3 So, my dad jokes about it, but he doesn't mind. He probably isn't surprised, either. XD

Years
  • We~ell.. my mother thinks that I should grow out of it, since I've been watching/playing/reading Pokemon for the better half of my life. My grandmother on my father's side scoffed when I told her a while back that I wanted the new (at that time) Pokemon Diamond game, and my dad doesn't care what I do.

Cute

I don't even.
    Years
  • Well if you must know, I've just celebrated my 21st birthday last month and guess what the theme was? No special points for getting it right haha!

My parents were okay with it and some of my closer friends were super spontaneous as to dressing up for the theme as well.

And of course, the incriminating evidences for my 21st party were all posted up on my Facebook wall too!

Here's a photograph of some of the people that came:

Your parents reaction?

P.S. Check out the decoration HAHA.

Years
  • Well, I don't really watch Pokémon.

I do play every once in a while, on my DS and I often play in the living room with my parents and sister/nephew around. They all know and they don't mind I guess.

I remember when I went to buy Pokémon Black last year, and my father was like 'Pokémon? Aren't you a little old for that?' but it was more in a teasing manner, no big deal.

Then again, when I was like 16 and not into Pokémon at all, my father randomly downloaded a Pokémon episode for me. :p So I don't think he cares. It's funny because at that time I had kind of grown out of it, but I grew back into it later.

Also, some of my closest friends know I still play pokémon regularly, and I got them to buy Black and White as well. We sometimes play a drinking game with TCG cards, loads of fun. They're not as much into it as I am, but hey.
    On my birthday party (for my 19th birthday) they got me a few booster packs (just for jokes, I don't really play the TCG), a toy Pichu and they got me a Charmander birthday cake! So the rest of my friends must have an idea I'm into pokémon but they never really asked me about it. Because, awkward. I wonder if they think I'm actually into pokémon and like, how much, lol.

Last edited:

Mewtwo#150

Caught Them All
    Years
    • Seen May 18, 2012
    They really don't care. My Dad has always like his own things without giving a damn what anyone thinks. Liking this franchise is better than doing anything harmful to myself or anyone else, doing drugs or skipping school.

I have my own friends that are into it too. I'm in high school by the way. I remember going to see the first two or three movies with my Mom and Dad when they were still married. Fun times.

Years
  • Im 25 and still play Pokemon :D They are my children. I enjoy watching it as well. My mom knows. She doesn't care. She plays games on facebook all the time. She's very open minded. I don't live with my mom, but with my partner. And we enjoy Pokemon to the MAX !!! :D

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
  • I'm not quite sure if my mother is even aware, but it's not like I try to hide it. My interest for Pokémon pretty much goes to this site exclusively, and the only times I really get to play it is over the Wii, so chances are she hasn't even noticed. Though if she does, I don't really think she minds it.

Saucy Fish Boi

Music is my girlfriend
    Years
  • Well my parents recently found out I was a brony and they both gave me a speech about how I need to grow up. So I think they would react similarly if they found out I still like Pokémon. D: I play it in front of them and all but I don't think they really notice since they can't see the screen of my DS or anything.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Nan and Pop know. Nan makes fun of me for it, I pretend it's not true. :3 As for anyone else, yeah, nobody else knows at all. Also what's disappointing is iirc my half bros prefer Digimon over Pokemon. :( /just came to mind

Seiren

Playing the Spirit's Tune~
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2013
    Well, I don't really watch the anime anymore - or I don't go out of my way to - so I don't get any comments if I happen to be watching it when it's on TV; we usually have the kid's channels on in the morning, and Pokemon is on, so it's just on because it's on.

My parents are both aware that I play the Pokemon games, and when they see the adverts on TV, they'll actually ask me if I have that version yet, whether or not I intend on buying it or, if it's close to my birthday or Christmas, whether or not I'd like them to buy it for me. Whilst my parents disapprove of a lot of things I do, thankfully they're content to leave me to my hobbies. I like what I like, and when both of them like things which would be considered far more "childish" by conventional standards, if they did bring it up, I'd have more than sufficient ammunition to defeat their argument entirely.

My mother's reaction is actually usually "which one am I buying?" because we've been playing them together since the third generation; she'll get the opposite of whichever version I'm getting, so we can trade between ourselves, and because she enjoys it almost as much as I do; I got her hooked on Red after I got Yellow, and since then she's been playing them, so she's been a fan for almost as long as I have. In the case of the spinoffs like the Ranger series, she'll wait for me to finish playing it and then pick it up herself, and usually put more hours into it. My Mystery Dungeon Blue file racked up about sixty hours, and hers was three-hundred and twenty seven hours! xD

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    Dad's reaction: Why do you still play pokémon ... it's [naughty word] Go play Call of Duty like a real man.

-_-

Mum's reaction: Aww, it's so cute to see you playing with all the pikachus and that one little yellow mouse.

.__. err yeeaahh...

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2014
    They are okay with it, they never say anything about it though. I am rather surprised that they don't mind me watching pokemon on the computer. Must be because they are both rather old, both in their 50s, and they have hardly got to know what pokémon is. The older the parents, the less they mind about their children playing pokémon, I guess :D Would be rather agonizing to have parents, who have played the game, commenting your doings. Perhaps they think that this is a good alternative to using drugs or alcohol.. Who knows.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    My parents don't care that I still play Pokemon! They bought me Pokemon White for Christmas to go with my Pokemon Black xD They know that I'm just a big kid, anyway :P

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • Pretty much everyone in my family knows that I LOVE Pokemon, I have it everywhere in my room, I write it a lot and share video clips I find online on my Facebook page. No one in my family likes Pokemon or dont care.

I have even shown my grandma a few episodes in Spanish (Latin American versian), she finds the anime weird.

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
  • My dad doesn't really care. He's fine with me being fan of whatever. It's not like my anime addiction is harmful or anything. I know when to put it aside for my studies and such.

My mom, on the other hand, doesn't really approve of me liking animated ugly drawn people and creatures. : < I'm a fan of series like D.Gray-man, Seirei no Moribito and Fushigi Yuugi Genbu Kaiden, series (specially the latter two) meant for an older, more mature public. But my mom doesn't know that, nor does she care (it's all childish), she always comes back to that I still draw and play Pokémon, including sighs, groans, mentioning of that I need to grow up and what not. I just shrug it off and continue doing what I really like. :B Sometimes I wish my Mom would be more open to Manga and Anime... so that she could see that not everything is for children and immature. >3< (and that Pokémon can be enjoyed by all ages and experienced in a way that goes beyond what the animated series put down as a standard where I live.)

But I also get that reaction when I'm doing things too much, or too long (gaming, drawing, watching, you name it (except reading real books.)

Years
    • Seen Feb 28, 2014
    My parents know it, or at least knew since I used to watch alot of Pokémon, but yet again it isn't something that my parents ban or anything.
    As for school, I have a few friends that also enjoy pokémon, but it isn't a regular subject.

Back