• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your Personal Boundaries on "CHEATING" and "LEGITAMACY"

Years
  • Hi guys,

I was just wondering what everyone's personal boundaries are in regards to whether a Pokémon is legit or not.

If one were to use an Action Replay or similar device to activate an in-game event, such as the Darkrai, Arceus, Victini events etc. would you count these caught Pokémon to be a fake/not legit, even though they were caught in the correct place and weren't modified. The thing is, some of us who don't have the means to travel to large events have no other way of obtaining these Pokémon other than trading, whereby we'd like our own.

I'm just curious on everyone's opinion. Where do your boundaries lie? :)

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • It's your game, so you can do whatever you like with it. However, if you try and pass off Pokemon you obtained through AR or other such devices as genuine Pokemon in things like trading, then that's a no-no. At least in my book. I've had bad experiences obtaining those sorts of critters when my brother got an AR for Silver version and sent me a bad Lugia. So... yeah. If it's for personal use, then go ahead; if you're bringing other into the mix, you should let them know. (Wow, this sounds like a drugs seminar!)

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Like Jon said, do what you want in your game. I could care less. I just dislike when people hack in a ton of Pokemon. I don't think it's that hard to catch things on your own, and if you can't get a certain Pokemon and can't trade, then I guess hacking it in is fine. It doesn't bother me much, unless you give it illegal movesets, abilities, EVs, etc. Even worse is if you try to pass it off as legit and trade it.

With events, it's tricky. I know people can't get certain events or missed a lot in the past. I missed nearly all gen IV events. The only wifi gen IV event I got was the Mew, and that was probably the last one. So I totally understand. But even if you hack in the appropriate method for some of the event Pokemon, well idk...it's still hacking. So I would rather get a Pokemon that was obtained legitimately by its respective event.

Items aren't a big deal. I'd hack in items if I could, just because it'd be more efficient and I could help others since trade evolution items are sometimes tricky to get a hold of.

Infernova

Simple Philosopher
    Years
  • In my rule book, only a trainer who is foolish and lazy will use cheats. I've used cheats to obtain pokemon before and it only made me feel like a lazy slob. I think you should have to catch and train apokemon the fair way. At least, that's only my opinion. Items are okay. But like Sydian said, once you start to bend the physics of battle, then it is definatley not legit.

Last edited:

lovebear

Pokémon Professor in training
    Years
  • As long as a Pokémon doesn't exceed its natural stats or have illegal moves (ie. Pikachu with 999 in all stats and knows the move Roar of Time) then it's fine with me. I wouldn't mind battling someone with hacked 'perfect' legal Pokémon.

But in my eyes someone who breeds a team with great Pokémon in a legit manner deserves a lot of respect.

I tip my hat off to those dedicated breeders and trainers out there. Sadly, I don't have half the dedication you guys have.

Years
  • I have an action replay, and I use it only after I have defeated the main game. If I complete the main game storyline and all that, I dont see it as cheating at all.

I do not try to pass my hacked pokemon as being legit though, like trading online and stuff. Thats cheating in my eyes. I only really use my Action Replay to activate events (like the Victini one I missed) and maybe get some cool items. Thats it. Im not cheating because im not using these things to help me defeat the game. Its for pure entertainment.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    For me, something only becomes cheating when it is achieved by means that are like, not already implemented in the game. For instance, I triggered the Mew glitch encounter thing in Pokémon Blue, but I consider that Mew 100% legit because I didn't use any third-party programs to get it, it was already there. Simply "creating" a Mew with AR would be cheating.

voltianqueen

WITH SEAWATER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • TN
    • Seen Feb 9, 2018
    It's all fine to me. But one thing I don't believe in is hacking Pokemon for battling. In my opinion it's more rewarding and much more fair to use Pokemon that have been caught/bred for stats legitimately than hacked for perfect stats. Hacked Pokemon with random illegal moves and 999 stats are weird, but okay as long as they aren't used against other people.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • IMO.

Cheating > Using an external device (AR etc) to obtain certain Pokemon and items. Or to modify Pokemon or the game's save file.

Anything else is fine tbh.

katiekun11

I ♥ Ghost & Ice Type Pokemon!
    Years
  • I only use my Action Replay for berries & some items (healing items, however I will delete most of them). I don't agree with making an 'uber' Pokemon, or using rare candies, or using the 2x, 4x exp codes etc. I also don't agree with hacking Pokemon in there! The fun of Pokemon is to catch them all, really!

Years
    • Seen Jun 18, 2012
    Getting something obtainable the easy way instead of spending hours of gameplay to get it is fine for me,be it rng abuse or simply editing a pokemon to get perfect legal stats.Now then,I would never use my vw/bb pokemon vs some1 who does not have these hacks.

Seriously tho,considering editing a pokemon via AR/pokegen/etc cheating and not rng abusing is just...not right.

Back