• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Your Tate and Liza Team

SkyAttack

Bird Trainer
    Years
    I just came across the infamous Tate and Liza this morning, and I was suprised that my team kind of slaughtered theirs. Maybe I was lucky, maybe I chose wisely in setting up my team...I'm not sure. I wanted to post this to see what you guys think about what worked for me and what didn't. I'd also like to know what worked for you, which Pokemon you used and how you did it!

My team was:

Lairon lvl. 40-using mainly Metal Claw and Iron Tail
    Xatu lvl. 26(just caught him, wanted to level him up) using Peck and Night Shade
    Swellow lvl. 34 using Fly, Aerial Ace, and Steel Wing
    ^^These three fainted during battle, but not before dealing a surprising amount of damage

Swampert lvl. 36 using Surf(he took out Claydoll)
    Magneton lvl. 34 using Thunderbolt(only had to use him once)
    Flygon lvl. 47 using Dragonbreath, Faint Attack, and Crunch
    ^^These guys never fainted. In fact, I never had to use any items on them at all! I know all but the Flygon were fairly under-leveled, but they did really well against the opponents' team. :)

Darkjagwar

lollerskates now available
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2014
    team dynamix

Yea that sounds good. in my games, i try to train so I rarely have to use items except for maybe pkmn league.

u basically need a strong ice type because that has an advantage over everything they use.
    don;t use a ground for obvious reasons.
    Grass will work except make sure u can defend it from Xatu.
    Electric is only good for xatu and it will get KO'd early by Claydol
    Ghost is rly good and it will come in handy if ur ice is messed up by Solrock.

so mine for my emerald now is

Glalie, Swampert (Muddy Water), Dusclops, Smeargle (Ice Beam and Shadow Ball), Walrein, and Banette. all between lv 39 and 44.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Actually, Cacturne and Shiftry are the best to use against the weak Liza & Tate since they resist all of the attacks that their Pokes use, not to mention that they both pack two attacks that all the Pokes are weak to.

Personally, all I used was Swampert and Gardevoir. Swampert took out Claydol with Surf and Gardevoir finished off Xatu with Thunderbolt. From there a combined Surf + Thunderbolt turned Lunatone and Solrock into smoldering piles of mooncrap.

BTW - Don't use Muddy Water on Swampert. Surf is 100% accurate and has 5 more PP. Muddy Water is absolutely worthless, unless the Poke cannot learn Surf.

Rinji

srsly.
    Years
    Tate and Liza are always terribly hard for me to beat >_< I usually just bring a lot of items with me and hope for the best lol. At the moment I can't remember what my team was last I beat them.

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
    Swampert was all I needed for that battle. I had a Magneton to make quick work of Xatu.

Be careful with Magneton, though... Claydol packs Earthquake, which will usually OHKO Maggie, even with his mediocre Attack stat.

I always liked double battles more than single battles, so I never had a problem with these twins... but really all you need is Swampert. He takes care of Claydol, Lunatone and Solrock with Surf; jack him up with Ice Beam, and watch Xatu turn into a frozen loaf of poop.

Jim

Dinner
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 25, 2011
    Who are whose guys ?? I have the Spanish version, so I have the Trainers' names changed ^^U

The Gym Leaders that you have a double battle with. They have Solrock and Lunatune.

Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2012
    I had my lvl 60 swellow and lv 59 sceptile (i didnt want to do the gym stuff)

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Wow. Did you really spend time leveling up your Pokes that high or did you trade them in? Hopefully the latter because to me that is wasted training, but to each their own.

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
    well my blaziken crushed tate&liza (surfrisingly) but the most help when battling the duo was grumpig (uses mainly psychic) and altaria w/ dragonbreath. xatu didnt knock out grumpig w/ one blow like the rest.and claydol had a hard time fighting my altaria, but when i battle solrock and luna tone i sent out grumpig and blaziken, only uses firepunch and blaze kick and psychic 4 grumpihg

Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2008
    at this time the only pokemon i had dat i cared about was my nuzleaf lvl 25-34 (shiftry now) and my breloom 36-42 dnt remember their movsets but they pwned em

elric331

Kurosaki Ichigo
    Years
    lv 50 swampert killed em all, used strength on Xatu and my other pokemon just fainted.
    I just wanted to get throught the game quickly so my rest was lv10-31 range

Myzou

Lost and Confused xD
    Years
    Soloed them with a lvl 42 Blaziken, VERY fun battle (as you can probably tell xD) Other pokes fainted throughout gym and I forgot to heal -.-

Back