• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Zapdos926's fakemon and fusions

do you like these?

• yes! theyre awsome!

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • yea, theyre ok.

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • not really...

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • aagghhh! I'm blind!!!!!

Votes: 21 58.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

zapdos926

I'm secretly a typhlosion, shh
Years
  • hello peoples! i know i'm not very good at fakemon, but please dont be to critical about them. i will get better as i go along. i'm much better at making pokemon fusions, so expect those to be better. these go from left to right.

wheelklops-tire pokemon-tends to live in junkyards-ghost/steel

octfintry-octopus pokemon- lives deep under the ocean and are very rare-water

hybrid-this one is a Hybrid of my three fav. pokemon, Typhlosion, Latias, and Latios.

ryoxys-this one i just decided to make a strange combo.

ultimate water pokemon- i combined every stage two water starter for this... i think it came out pretty well.

Years
    • Seen Aug 23, 2010
    They aren't that bad, except you need to save as .png! Otherwise the quality of the image gets ruined. Apart from that they aren't too bad. :)
    My favourite one would be the water pokemon one. Just remember, save as .png. :)

Sora247_2009

Will Sprite for food!!
    Years
  • They are VERY C+P. Try scratching parts on instead of just copying them.

~Obligatory SAVE AS PNG statement~

zapdos926

Years
  • ok, here are a few more. i saved them as png this time. again from left to right...

Cacturnity-cacti pokemon-lives in deserts and like playing practical jokes on travelers-grass/dark

Plaquatic-thunder-squid pokemon-one of the rarest pokemon in the world. it guards the under water temples.-water/elec.

Snome-ice drill pokemon-its large drill-like hands are used to dig out caves in frozen mountain sides-ice

tytresoudon- i think this one is really cool, but thats my opinion

regitops- i was bored and just chose to random pokemon to fuse...

= GPR =

Birding Extraordinaire
    Years
  • It is impossible to truly critique your works because you are still saving them as .jpeg

From what I can make out, your scratches have excessively thick outlines. The outlines only need to be 1 pixel in width... or else you get a bunch of "clumpies" (random globs of unnecessary pixels)

also, the poses are very strait foward, and rigid.

To be honest, the scratches are less spriting and more general pixel art... (remember that spriting is a specific style of pixel art... such as motown is a style of blues) You need to thin out the outlines, and give the poses a bit more angle and depth... otherwise, they are very flat and strait looking...

i really can't crit the shading because the .jpegyness destroyed it...

as for the fusions, they're a mess... you haven't cleaned them up that well where you pasted them. I know part of the messy look comes from the jpeg blur... but i can still see rigid points of connection. For example, groudon's wings are sticking strait out and have different looking lenghts... (his) left wing looks like a spine coming out of his back while the other wing appears more like a horn... they are kinda just dropped behind there...

I'm sorry that my crits can't be more detailed, but the jpeg really ruined your images... repost or put some new stuff up!

Keep Spriting!

Poison Master

Poison'd You.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2010
    It is impossible to truly critique your works because you are still saving them as .jpeg

From what I can make out, your scratches have excessively thick outlines. The outlines only need to be 1 pixel in width... or else you get a bunch of "clumpies" (random globs of unnecessary pixels)

also, the poses are very strait foward, and rigid.

To be honest, the scratches are less spriting and more general pixel art... (remember that spriting is a specific style of pixel art... such as motown is a style of blues) You need to thin out the outlines, and give the poses a bit more angle and depth... otherwise, they are very flat and strait looking...

i really can't crit the shading because the .jpegyness destroyed it...

as for the fusions, they're a mess... you haven't cleaned them up that well where you pasted them. I know part of the messy look comes from the jpeg blur... but i can still see rigid points of connection. For example, groudon's wings are sticking strait out and have different looking lenghts... (his) left wing looks like a spine coming out of his back while the other wing appears more like a horn... they are kinda just dropped behind there...

I'm sorry that my crits can't be more detailed, but the jpeg really ruined your images... repost or put some new stuff up!

Keep Spriting!

I would really have to agree with this man.

Always remeber .PNG is the best for saving your images, and will give your work the best looks.

I have A tip for you.. Recoloring is your friend, you can get youtube videos on how to do it, it can help make your pokemon look more natural, than just randomly slapped together.

- Ryan

zapdos926

Years
  • Recoloring for what? The fusions or fakes? I do it on both...(I forgot on fthe water pokemon fusion, but it still came out pretty good.)

gol

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2010
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! the Jpgyness is horrible, but once i get by that they are descent.... try reshading them after you copy and paste at least.... the splices have like 5 different light sources! The concepts are good, but the execution not so much...

Nicolas

O c t o j a R e j s t r o m
    Years
  • I agree with gol, the main issue(s) about your splices are:
    : your splices are too copy-pastish (you just copied a part from a Pokemon and pasted it into another and BOOM, you've got a not so good-looking splice)
    :copy-pastish sprites leads to awkward light sources. . .
    . . . and finally;
    : they're not saved as PNG (do not forget that, EVER!) because JPEG artifacts makes the sprites look blurry which distorts the whole sprite :\

zapdos926

Years
  • ok here are more. i cant save them as (place saving preference other than JPEG here) because MS paint wont let me for some reason. left-right.

Deoxyquaza- i think this came out ok. i can see the fuzziness in it,but i think its ok.

Flyprasius- a combo between lapras, shiny flygon and tropius.

shiny latiquaza- two of my favs, mixed and shiny.

Years
  • MS Paint has been able to save PNG files for at least 5 years now. Before that, us spriters used to stick with BMP or GIF (though GIFs have limited palettes). Also, opening a JPG file and re-saving it as a PNG isn't going to help. It has to be saved as a BMP or PNG from the very start.

And I'm sorry people have jumped down your throat so much on this thread. They seem to forget that there is a learning curve when you first start doing stuff like this. I sprited from 1998-2004 (SNES-based sprites for hacks and such), and there is a HUGE difference between my first works and my later works.

zapdos926

Years
  • Thanks for being so un-jerkish(?) about it. For some reason whenever I go to "file, save as" the only things MS paint on my PC let's me save as is JPEG, 24-bitmap, and other btm files. No PNG. I don't know why.

Raibutai

Pixels and Pikachus. Bliss.
    Years
  • Then use .bmp; at least it's better than .jpg for spriting.

Also, trying to fusion more than two Pokemon when you're starting is just asking for trouble. When you can make official-looking fusions of two Pokemon, then you should think about moving onto three. It's just simple logic.

Years
  • If you're having trouble saving as .png files then perhaps you should look into a new program. I know GIMP can save in .png (as well as do a hundred other things MSPaint can't) and there are probably a handful of other free image programs out there that you can try.

Now, about your sprites. This legendary Onix feels very much like a rough draft to me. There are areas where lines cut off short (such as next to the right flame-ball-thing), and where lines overshoot and stick out a couple of pixels. It's a very simple drawing when you get down to it. There are large, solid blocks of colors and little shading. When you're working on pixel art it seems (to me at least) that if you're going to work in such a large area there should be a large amount of detail. That's what working pixel by pixel is supposed to help you achieve - a certain level of detail. Right now you don't have that.

What you want to do is go back to this and do some pixel-by-pixel work to clean up spots, add detail - lots of little adjustments to give it a more finished look. It's hard to do that when you've saved it as a .jpg. Once you do that you're stuck with what you have unless you have a backup .bmp file. Try using more color so you don't have to put a black outline around every piece of it. Look at the official Onix sprites to see how they give it a rocky, chiseled look without making it seem so angular.

Oh, and this is general enough advice that you could apply it to smaller things as well. Don't be afraid to zoom in and do the nitty-gritty work.

Back