• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[PKMN FULL] Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Haven [T/OOC]

Years
  • Age 29
  • home
  • Seen Aug 16, 2023

POKÉMON MYSTERY DUNGEON
Explorers of Haven

Fr58fVw.jpg
Welcome. This is the portal that leads you to the world of Pokémon. Beyond this gateway, many new adventures and fresh experiences await your arrival. Only Pokémon inhabit this world. There are no trainers, nor will there be in the course of this roleplay. Be strong, stay smart. And be victorious!

You are a Pokémon that has just arrived in the village of Haven, with the goal of joining its renowned Exploring Guild and starting your training as one of their Explorers. The guild is led by its founder, an imposing Steel/Psychic type Pokémon called Bronzong, and his right-hand and secretary, Snubbull. The guild aims to educate and train young Pokémon into becoming full-fledged Explorers; Pokémon that are fit to go into Mystery Dungeons, carry out quests and rescues and sometimes even explore completely new areas.

Guild Regulations:
1. Follow all PC and RPC rules.
2. This RP is rated T, meaning you will have to restrict violence, gore and romance to a mild level.
3. Be fair, nice and respectful towards other players. This also implies no godmodding, bunnying without permission, or anything of the sort.
4. Please try to stay active, and consult the GM if anything is amiss.
5. Have fun!​

Haven

Haven is the town you will arrive in in your first post. Below is a map of the town with all its facilities. You may control any of the NPCs (except Bronzong) at your leisure, but try to keep their character as described below.

Spoiler:

2EAH7qP.png

Mystery Dungeons:

From the beginning, there will be 5 dungeons available for your to explore, of various difficulty levels. Guide levels regarding which dungeons are safe to enter are stated for your convenience.

Spoiler:

moLfbFp.png

Mechanics:

As opposed to joining the guild and forming a rescue team, in this RP you join the guild as a solo Pokémon Explorer. Every IC day, new missions will be posted to the Bulletin Board that you can take on with up to 4 others. Form groups in the OOC thread and go on missions - if you so please. This will be a sandbox RP, meaning you can explore the town of Haven and the Dungeons as much as you like. Do take care not to go into a dungeon that is above your level, though. The more Pokémon in your group, the higher level dungeons you will be able to challenge.
Every member of the guild will receive a Warp Crystal, which can be used to return to Haven from any Dungeon in the country. It is a fragment of the large crystal in town, and through its resonation allows you to teleport back to the Square within mere seconds.

Leveling up is done by acquiring experience. This can be done through going on missions, exploring Mystery Dungeons, training at the dojo, or battling another Pokémon. I will leave you to decide your own leveling, but if you consistently overestimate your experience gained, I may tell you to take it down a peg. You are welcome to include an EXP bar or percentage somewhere in each IC post, to keep track of experience gained in a more detailed manner, but it's not required.

If you would like to take on a mission, take a look at the Bulletin Board in the IC thread. Once you've chosen one, mention it in the OOC thread and it will be marked in red on the Bulletin Board, so others cannot take the same one. After taking one on, you will first have to go see your client to get the details of the mission. Finally, you can go get some last-minute supplies, or just head out to the dungeon. When you've finished your mission, you can report back to your client, or if you catch an Outlaw, you can bring them to the Guild, and Officer Watchog will take them off your hands.

Signup:

Name: (unless you want everyone to call you by your species...)
Pokémon Species:

Appearance: (if deviant from regular)

History: (what led them to wanting to apprentice at the guild?)

Personality: (general demeanor, strengths and weaknesses - and i don't mean type-wise!)

Moveset: (up to 6 moves - no TM/HM moves to start with, and keep it to the ORAS game canon for your level. one egg move is allowed)

Guild Apprentices: click for SU!

Last edited:

Xilfer

Just won't die.
Years
How convenient, an RP that popped up half an hour before I decided to come back here. And looks fun too. Sign me up.

I should be able to get an SU up some time today or tomorrow.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years
oooh this looks amusing, and the CSS is very well done. c:

two comments:
  • gaining 3-5 levels for clearing a mission seems like a bit much. The rest seems like it could work for the beginning, but you may want to refine the experience system as the roleplay continues, otherwise players may become incredibly high leveled unrealistically fast. d:
  • can we name the NPC townsfolk? haha It would just feel wrong constantly calling them Snubbull and Musharna and whatnot

Years
  • Age 29
  • home
  • Seen Aug 16, 2023
two comments:
  • gaining 3-5 levels for clearing a mission seems like a bit much. The rest seems like it could work for the beginning, but you may want to refine the experience system as the roleplay continues, otherwise players may become incredibly high leveled unrealistically fast. d:
  • can we name the NPC townsfolk? haha It would just feel wrong constantly calling them Snubbull and Musharna and whatnot

Mm, I see your point with regard to the level system. I was still trying to figure that out a little. But since a mission would surely require several posts, I thought it should at least be significantly more than a battle. Also I wanted to avoid the need for players to visit the same dungeon more than twice, because I can imagine that would get old quite fast. Still, 5 is probably too much indeed ( ´ ▽ ` )ゞ If you have any specific suggestions for improvement of the level system, I'd very much like to hear them.
With regard to the unnamed townsfolk; I basically went with this because in the Mystery Dungeon games, none of the NPCs actually have names. I did make sure to choose Pokémon that would be unlikely to be chosen by players, to avoid any confusion with similar species. Still, if you (and others) think they are better off with names, I wouldn't mind adding them either.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years
Mm, I see your point with regard to the level system. I was still trying to figure that out a little. But since a mission would surely require several posts, I thought it should at least be significantly more than a battle. Also I wanted to avoid the need for players to visit the same dungeon more than twice, because I can imagine that would get old quite fast. Still, 5 is probably too much indeed ( ´ ▽ ` )ゞ If you have any specific suggestions for improvement of the level system, I'd very much like to hear them.
With regard to the unnamed townsfolk; I basically went with this because in the Mystery Dungeon games, none of the NPCs actually have names. I did make sure to choose Pokémon that would be unlikely to be chosen by players, to avoid any confusion with similar species. Still, if you (and others) think they are better off with names, I wouldn't mind adding them either.

you could hand out exp. points and have little exp. bars for everyone. :3 (or just have exp. bars and have RPers manage them like they would levels. that way they could give themselves small increments of exp., rather than entire levels)
other than that, I don't have any specific suggestions right now. I'd be happy to help come up with something if you need it, though.

haha, the names aren't imperative. I just think it could be a bit odd calling them by the name of their species. They don't have names in the games, sure, but they never really do in any Pokémon game, and it goes along with the same sentiment as not wanting your own character to simply be "Buneary" or "Fennekin."

speaking of which, my main issue right now is figuring out whether I want to play as Buneary or Fennekin. lol

Xilfer

Just won't die.
Years
So this happened...

Name: Poob
Pokémon Species: Poochyena
Level: 10

Appearance:
No different at all from a normal Poochyena.

History:
Ever since he was a child, Poob has been viewed by others as just 'normal'. He was a normal-looking Poochyena who had a bit of a temper, but with nothing else outwardly fascinating or outstanding about him. He was always mediocre at whatever he tried, whether it be fighting, sports, or academics. The fact that Poochyena is a common species did not help his case either. As a result, other Pokemon often teased him about his unremarkable characteristics, including his mediocrity; his dullness; and his lack of ambition. Even his mother was an unremarkable Mightyena, and his father had apparently left Poob soon after his birth.

Eventually, Poob grew tired of being looked down upon, and of being ordinary. For the first time in his life, he began to develop ambition. And with this ambition came his pride, born from insecurity. He dreamed of conquering mystery dungeons and finding treasures, as well as lording over others and taking over entire countries. Eventually, fantasies were not enough, and he decided that he needed to act on them. He would grow stronger and attain the power he needed to become legendary.

And so, he decided to become an apprentice at the exploring guild in Haven. His first goal on his way to becoming all-powerful is to attain the position of guild master at the local guild, and from there, become even more powerful. Not that he presently knows how he will go about doing this. But all will come with time.

Personality:
The first thing one will notice about Poob is his pride. He has a great sense of self-importance and confidence in himself, believing that none could ever be more powerful than him. Naturally, this makes him a sore loser, and if he ever loses at anything he will claim it was simply dumb luck on his opponent's part or that the competition has been rigged somehow. He has much ambition and great plans for the future, even going so far as to dream of building an empire for himself. However, these very aspects of Poob's character demonstrate another side to him: his naivety and childishness. He does his best to believe in himself and his superiority over others, while convincing himself that he is capable of these feats. In reality, however, he hasn't the faintest idea on how to to go about achieving his goals. If asked, he will simply state that he is 'going with the flow' or that 'the plan is already underway', but these are both blatant lies.

On some deep, deep level that he will almost never show to anyone, Poob knows about his flaws. They are mainly rooted in his immense desire to become superior and more powerful to others; a desire which is itself rooted in a fear and disdain of being inferior to others. Poob seems to see the world in only two shades: he must be either superior or inferior to others, and equality is not an option. If someone can look past his flaws and get to know Poob, they would most likely see some glimpses of his true insecurity and perhaps even signs of the capacity for change, but most prefer to stay away from Poob altogether.

When it comes to his behavior around others, Poob will usually act high and mighty, and is quick to become irritated if someone insults him. However, unlike most Poochyena, he does not get outwardly angry right away; he has resolved to keep his anger hidden and stored away on most occasions, deciding that he is too good to waste it on those that are beneath him. The battlefield is where Poob usually lets his anger loose, but most of the time it's uncontrolled and chaotic, which results in a rather frenzied fighting style that is characteristic of Poochyena.

Moveset:
Bite / Sand Attack / Tackle / Howl / Yawn​

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • home
  • Seen Aug 16, 2023
you could hand out exp. points and have little exp. bars for everyone. :3 (or just have exp. bars and have RPers manage them like they would levels. that way they could give themselves small increments of exp., rather than entire levels)
other than that, I don't have any specific suggestions right now. I'd be happy to help come up with something if you need it, though.

haha, the names aren't imperative. I just think it could be a bit odd calling them by the name of their species. They don't have names in the games, sure, but they never really do in any Pokémon game, and it goes along with the same sentiment as not wanting your own character to simply be "Buneary" or "Fennekin."

speaking of which, my main issue right now is figuring out whether I want to play as Buneary or Fennekin. lol

I do like the idea of Exp. bars, but I worry that it would become too technical and difficult to keep track of levels for the players as well as the GM, haha. The system as it is now is partially based on the PTA level system, which also uses rounded-off levels. Though of course there trainers work with several Pokémon, so i suppose the problem with rising levels too fast is not as prevalent. ( ´ ▽ ` )ゞ If you would like to help me set something better up, I think it's best to continue this discussion over PMs though c:

I've been playing the Mystery Dungeon games a lot in preparation for this, so for me it's now pretty natural to refer to NPCs by their Pokémon names, haha. I'll decide whether or not to give them actual names before the IC goes up then, so I'd like to hear everyone's opinion in the meantime!

Thanks for your SU, Xilfer! I'll get right to it.
EDIT: alright, Xilfer's Poob is pending - since Poochyena doesn't learn Swagger or Taunt until level 19 and 31 respectively. But if you fix that, you're in! Woops, I'm sleepy. ( ´ ▽ ` )ゞ
... so with that I'll sign off for the night. Reservations will stay open for until I feel there are too many for me to handle, but I think we'll be in the clear for the time being.

Last edited:

for him.

I'm trash.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 6, 2023
I think the idea of experience bars is nice. (It makes the RP longer I feel and gives people more things to write posts about. However, it would take a lot of work to implement effectively.)

Last edited:

Xilfer

Just won't die.
Years
Thanks for your SU, Xilfer! I'll get right to it.
EDIT: alright, Xilfer's Poob is pending - since Poochyena doesn't learn Swagger or Taunt until level 19 and 31 respectively. But if you fix that, you're in! Woops, I'm sleepy. ( ´ ▽ ` )ゞ
... so with that I'll sign off for the night. Reservations will stay open for until I feel there are too many for me to handle, but I think we'll be in the clear for the time being.

Alright, fixed! Sorry, guess it just slipped my mind. :P
Wish Poochyena learned more stuff before Lvl 10 tho. Oh well.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
Years
Hey, can I ask something? Why are we solo characters? I think it'd be very interesting to have a scene where we are randomly paired to another guild member to form a team. :3

That being said, I'd like to reserve a space too! I'll write up a sign up when I'm supposed to be asleep when I can. ^^

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 31, 2015
I'd like to reserve a spot! I'm new to the forums, but not roleplaying. I'm glad I got here in time for a new roleplay.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
Years

Name: Niishi
Pokemon Species: Nidoran(F)

Appearance:
Her ears are slightly larger than a normal Nidoran's, and her spots are as seen in the picture attached.
Spoiler: I'm usually better at drawing Nidoran than this....
Douz730.jpg

History:
When she was younger, Niishi fell into a ditch while playing with some other Pokemon. None of the others heard her trying to escape nor calling for help until they were going home. Someone called for a Rescue Team who came and rescued her.
Niishi was immediately in awe of them and wanted to be a Rescuer. Rescuers could help Pokemon, explore Mystery Dungeons, find new uncharted areas, and so much more. The more she learned about it the harder she trained.
One day she heard from a traveling Pokemon about a Guild for training young Pokemon and grooming them into a Grade A Rescuer. She collected the money herself, said goodbye to her family, and promptly left for the Guild.

Personality:
Though very quiet at first, Niishi will become a blabbermouth about everything she knows once you get to know her. She is very intelligent and knows how to get every last bit of information from anything. She is also very brazen and would charge right into something if she believed it was right.
Her flaw about that is she doesn't have a power to back it up. Though she is very determined to fight, she will get knocked out quite fast. Niishi hopes to become stronger in the Guild's training to overcome this.
She's also impatient and can't sit still. Even when she's around strangers and quiet, she may stand up and start pacing, or squirming in place. This is so bad she sleeptalks, occasionally walking others up.
She can be stubborn to a point, often refusing to do something she doesn't agree with. This is sometimes a flaw, sometimes her biggest feeling.

Moveset:
Growl/Scratch/Tail Whip/Double Kick/Endure/----

Etherion

ZKIJvkL.jpg

Finn the Archen

Current Team
archen.gif

Poke: None yet
Inventory: None yet

Moveset

Leer, Wing Attack, Double Team,
Rock Throw, Double Team, [EGG] Dragon Pulse

Name: Finn
Pokémon Species: Archen

Appearance: Just a normal First Bird Pokemon with a slightly larger tail and smaller eyes

History: Born under a couple of a female Noivern and male Arhceops, he grew up in a caring household (err cave) along with 5 other siblings, being the second eldest in the family. His parent where quite intimidating, but where very capable raising all five children, being the second though he always got hand-me down from the first born, who resents. Despite this, Finn is not spiteful and was raised to enjoy his life, which he takes to heart. In terms of his family relations he greatly cares for all his sibling and took up the big bother role, more often since his own big brother was very distant from the family.

One day he had reached news that the eldest brother in the family had committed an assault on various pokemon and assisted in the robbery of a town's poke-bank. The news shocked him and his family, and had left his mother greatly ill from grief. Angry and confused he went out to search for his older brother and get an explanation from him, his endeavors have landed him with a goal with going a guild, where he hopes to find more information about his brother's whereabouts. After all outlaws have a tendency to hide in dungeons and joining an exploration team would be advantageous to his overall goals.

Personality: : Finn is carefree and hyperactive, barely able to hold still in one place. He constantly tries to motivate other people, and has a pure spirit, however, he is known to be gullible and rushes into things more often than he should. He tries to help others in their times of need, but gets into other people's lives a bit too, frequently. Despite all of this, Finn is the kind of guy to live it large and make friends on the way. He looks towards the future and is an adventurer by heart.

Moveset: Leer / Wing Attack / Rock Throw / Double Team / Quick Attack / [EGG] Dragon Pulse​

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • home
  • Seen Aug 16, 2023
Hey, can I ask something? Why are we solo characters? I think it'd be very interesting to have a scene where we are randomly paired to another guild member to form a team. :3

the reason i'm having you join as solo characters rather than forming an official team is so that you won't have to be tied down to the same teammate over the course of the whole RP. it's definitely encouraged to go on missions with others, though! in this OOC thread, you can ask around and pair up with up to 4 others to visit a Dungeon IC. i hope that clears things up?

so, as for the new SUs...
Xilfer's Poob is now officially accepted! don't worry, you'll grow in no time!
DyingWillFlareon's Niishi is also accepted! just a tip - you can make paragraphs a little longer than just two or three sentences. you don't have to, but it can make the text a bit easier to read. c:
gio7sm's Finn is finally accepted as well! i can see you're struggling with grammar a bit, but if you try to work on it a little it's no problem ~

alright, we have 6 reservations and 3 characters up as far as i can see. i'm glad there's so much interest! c:

Gelius3

Certified Idiotic Potato
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
I wanna join O.o, Me loves PMD!

Name: Gelius (Or Gelly For friends.)
Pokémon Species: Sneasel

Appearance: Like a Normal Sneasel but it has a Black Hat (like Riley's one).

History: Born under a Male Weavile and a Female Glaceon, Gelius lived in a icy forest, on his house (well i mean on a clearing). Gelius was having his normal life as a Sneasel, doing things that Sneasel do (Don't ask me what Sneasel normally do) and attending his father's Dojo (Not the one on the town, another that was made). 2 years later, a baby Eevee was born, which is Gelius' Brother.

Some time later, Gelius discovered a small gem with his friends, deeper in the woods. They were eventually attacked by a Snorunt Horde, being their leader a Frosslass, and other wild Pokemon. They eventually defeated the enemies and got the gem and started to talk about dungeons and Rescuers and etc... During the talk, Gelius became fascinated in Rescuers and Explorers, and decided to become both. Some time later, when he had the chance, he left home and arrived Heaven. By the middle of the trip, Gelius bought his Black Hat, to look "cool". Then he tried to find Bronzong's Guild and to become a guild member on it. Eventually Gelius would pass but lets see what awaits him.

Gelius decision on becoming an Explorer and Rescuer on a guild was due to 2 things. The events that happened after the Shiny Gem event, and due to another thing, Gelius' dream of seeing the world, yet he did not planned to become an explorer and rescuer at same time. Another thing was that Gelius wanted to become stronger to protect the ones who he love.

Personality: Gelius is very stubborn but has a big good heart. Normally he would not behave bad around other Pokemon. Gelius is very impatient, but when he has to be patient, he can handle for a little. Asking him to give up from an objective is a sin (well to him). He never gives up until the trouble is solved. Gelius normally talks to people he really trusts and when he does talk he is sentimental or serious, depending on the person that Gelius talks to.

Moveset: Avalanche (Egg Move), Leer, Scratch, Quick Attack, Feint Attack, Taunt

There you go! Hope you enjoy

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • home
  • Seen Aug 16, 2023
I wanna join O.o, Me loves PMD!

Hi Gelius! I'm happy you're interested in joining this RP, and thanks for submitting a sign-up already! Unfortunately, it's just a little lacking for me to accept it as it is now. Could you just expand a little more on your character's history and personality? For instance, I'd really like to read more about the gem discovery and how that inspired him to become a member of the guild, and maybe about how he got his Black Hat? And just a little more detail about how he interacts with others for the personality section. c:
Finally, a few of the moves you listed cannot be learned by Sneasel at its current level, so you'll have to limit it to just Avalanche, Scratch, Leer, Taunt, Quick Attack and Faint Attack - which is already quite a nice selection I would say!

Back