• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

#21: Underground Rock

Which are your favorites?

• Total voters
Years
Welcome back for another exciting edition of the Poké-Poll of the Week here in Pokémon Polls! I probably don't need to keep telling you to follow both PC and PVP rules, but I will anyway- especially:
Expand on your answers! Don't just tell us that Pikachu is your favorite Pokémon- tell us why! If you're just listing or giving very short answers, your post may be up for a warning or an infraction.
This week, our poll question comes to us from Logical Cabbage, who'll be a receiving a special emblem for the suggestion. If you'd like to receive an emblem for yourself, leave me a POTW suggestion via VM, PM, or with your response in this thread, and if it gets used, the emblem is yours! Anyway, with that said, this week's question is:

What is your favorite Ground/Rock type Pokemon?

Even though it's one of the more common dual types out there, we still only have a few choices, so this poll won't be multiple choice. If you like more than one of the options though, feel free to let us know with your post. Happy voting!

Last edited:

Logical Cabbage

A Very Big Altaria Fan
Years
I really like Larvitar best! Geodude seems too plain, Onix gives you a pain with that speed of his, and Rhyhorn is just sad. Same weaknesses, but only two of these pokemon improve out of plain rock/ground types. Steelix is wickedly annoying with iron tail and earthquake, while Tyranitar's attack is one to fear. But since I can only choose one, Larvitar gets my vote. Larvitar is pretty cute anyway, at least to me.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Apr 10, 2024
I picked onix because i always liked its design (which is a big deal to me) and being introduced to the franchise through the anime my impression of it was that it was super strong and badass. Sadly, when i started playing the game i was really disappointed. But, my first impression of it gives it a place over the others in this poll. Also, its pretty great for grinding :D

bunny24680

Keep Catching, Keep Battling - It's a Pokemon Life
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 4, 2021
My favourite Ground/Rock (or actually Rock/Ground) pokemon is Golem.

I mean look at this fella. It looks so badass, like nobody shall dare to come in it' way.
It looks so cool in the anime when it rollout over his foes, like a giant bowling
ball knocking down everyone in it's path. Whenever I play a game where I raise Golem, I always teach it rollout because when it does it, it reminds me of it's anime scenes.

Other than just looks, it has very nice attack and just awesome defense. It can be a
bit slow but I can take it. Awesome moves like Earthquake, Double-edge (This is really good: because it has Rock head as ability, it has no recoil damage), Rock slide,
Fire blast, etc.......... I just love it!!!!!

Years
My favorite of them is Rhyhorn's evolution line, bar none. It hits super hard and has a neat variety of attacks to use, including Megahorn, STAB Earthquake and Rock-type attacks, and others. Solid Rock and an evolution in Gen IV made it even more rad. B)

Years
Rhyperior honestly ruins the line for me, otherwise it would hands down be my favorite. Vote went to Larvitar/Pupitar, because the other two options have never striked me as Pokemon I'd actually use on my team, haha d:

Apollo

怖がらないで
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jul 22, 2017
The Rhyhorn line, definitely. I caught one in X, and it was really good - although I replaced him with Tyrunt (eventually Aggron). Still, he makes for a great Pokemon and has a great movepool.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
As far as appearance is concerned, I think Rhyperior looks pretty good. In fact, it's outstanding. It's got bulk, it has a confident-looking expression, and its color palettes complement each other very nicely. It's not so bad competitively, either; have used it before, and while it is a little difficult to utilize, it's honestly not that tough in comparison to a lot of other Pokémon. Have used it a few times before, and was satisfied.

Second favorite line is definitely Larvitar and Pupitar. They lead up to Tyranitar, which is one of my top-five most favorite dinosaur Pokémon, haha. Have two of these in my PC right now on Pokémon Y version; one plays defensively, and other covers offense. They're equally as great.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
Rhyperior does indeed look ridiculous and needs trade to get, but I picked his line because he's pretty good competitively, unlike Golem or Onix (Tyranitar isn't rock/ground). Rhyhorn and Rhydon look amazing though, and Rhydon is great in lower tiers since it can use an eviolite and has a great attack stat.

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
Onix. I always loved it as is and then Steelix came along and now I'm completely in love with the line lol.

After using Golem I love it too and I would also say I love the rhyhorn line, but rhyperior ruined everything for me. As for the Lavitar line it never stood out to me even though it becomes a psuedo-legendary.

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
Onix for me. It's just a huge rock snake, his design is super-simple, but I guess that's what makes him so great. It's probably because of Brock though, anime-Brock I mean, that I like Onix as much as I do. I even have an Onix that I named Brock that I use for Strength purposes in post-game, even though I don't use him at all in battle, haha.

As for the others, I've never used the Golem and Rhyperior lines because I tend to stay away from trade evolutions in-game, and I avoid using (pseudo-)legendaries as well, so no Larvitar/Pupitar for me either. Larvitar is a cutie though.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I don't particularly care for any of these, even though I find Onix pretty cool. But the ones that have been most useful to me in the games are Geodude and Graveler, so I'll go ahead and vote for them. I wish I'd been able to get a Golem at some point though - I never had anyone to trade with back in the days haha.

Years
Hmm... bit of a slow week, eh? I figured I'd leave this up for a few extra days since I've been so busy, but it doesn't look like we're going to get any more responses right now.

Personally, I went with Larvitar and Pupitar as my favorites- even if Tyranitar isn't included with them. I've never actually liked any of the other Rock/Ground types, but I remember having this cool Pupitar card from the TCG, and that sealed my vote for the duo.

And with that guys comes the end of another week plus of voting. Don't worry though- if you still haven't picked your favorite Rock/Ground type or let us know which is your favorite, feel free to do so, as all former POTW threads remain open even after they're no longer stickied. I've been a bit behind the 8 ball due to my hectic schedule, but if everything goes well, look out for the next POTW to be up sometime tomorrow. See you there!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 2, 2014
Onix has always been one of my favorite Pokemon. My first game was Yellow version, so winning against Brock's Onix and getting my boulderbadge was a huge accomplishment for me. Onix has meant a lot to me ever since.

Years
Onix and Rhydon are my favourites, based on design for Onix and the fact that I've used Rhydon on a team before and really liked it :) I also like Golem cause it was such a rare Pokémon in the games given that you had to trade for it so whenever I saw it I always got excited lol :)

Years
  • Seen Nov 4, 2017
It would have to be the Ryhorn Evolution line. Especially when D/P/Pt came out. I started having faith in Ground Types again. Rock Type attacks, Megahorn, Earthquake. Too bad Tyranitar is a Dark/Rock type.

Years
I love Rhyhorn and Rhydon, but Rhyperior COMPLETELY ruins the line. The former pokemon have so much charm in their designs.

So, Onix narrowly (rock)slides by for the win imo. I just think he is a classic pokemon that I adored since his introduction in the anime. Not the best pokemon stats wise, but again, the anime is nice in that stats are pretty irrelevant. Such an awesome rock-snake design.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
Tough one but I went with Golem in the end.

I like Onix but prefer Steelix.
I like Tyranitar a lot more than it's prevolutions.
Never really cared for the Rhyhorn family.

I used a Golem during my Diamond playthrough, it was the first time I could actually use trade evolution pokemon thanks to WiFi.

Back