• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Years
  • [FONT=&quot]Couple of questions:

Is this okay, or should I type it another way?

*sighs* "Not that voice again!" Taylor ...

and when you have two people in a conversation do you have to put said or replied whoever after each line.

Example

"Hi." person 1

"Oh, hi how are you?" person 2

"Good, and you" person 1

"Oh I'm doing good." person 2
    [/FONT]

Where do you come up with names for your fics?

What the story is going to be about, with out giving away the meaning of the story.

Last edited:

Gooberdued

< Is friggin' awesome
    Years
  • [FONT=&quot]Couple of questions:

and when you have two people in a conversation do you have to put said or replied whoever after each line.

Example

"Hi." person 1

"Good, and you" person 1

Question 1) Chatspeak is a no no, just put something like The girl/boy sighed, "Not that voice again!"

Question 2) It depends. If there are more than two people in the conversation, then it is a good idea to state who is talking. However, if it is obvious who is talking, then it isn't needed.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • *hugs* Have fun! Bring back pictures (of you in a bikini)!

And don't worry. We'll find some way to top ourselves while we're gone. ("I'm sure Astinus won't mind if I use this staple gun to hang these ropes from the ceiling like so...")

When going to Mississippi?! O_O Well, there was a pool...unfortunately for you, I don't swim. ;D

:D

And on that name subject, ONIONS is my rival in Red, and MBOJ3 was just...random. >>;

Ageless Irony

MANIC SPAMMER
    Years
  • I come back to find my pair loving my mom. O_O Awkward much?
    IT'S NOT WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE !!!
    xD

But really...It's not.
    I love anyone who likes Digimon ^_^
    Well...the first two season...
    The rest make me cringe...

Well, usually I look for some sort of name that fits...I was never good at naming things.
    But now what I tend to do in some cases, is take the name of a movie or book, and parody it into the name of my fic.
    For example, "Fast Times at Samuel Oak High" is a parody of "Fast Times at Richmond High"

And I really like doing that for some reason.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • IT'S NOT WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE !!!
    xD

I smell an affair. ;;

For example, "Fast Times at Samuel Oak High" is a parody of "Fast Times at Richmond High"

Wait. Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait!

Who in the world names a high school...Richmond? I mean really! Come on!

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
  • Do/have you ever let emotions such as anger get in the way of writing fanfics, or would you rather put the emotions towards energy for writing?

I usually try to mold my emotions to match the tone of the scene that I'm writing. I think that it makes the final product seem more authentic (although it makes me look a tad ridiculous).

But really...It's not.
    I love anyone who likes Digimon ^_^
    Well...the first two season...
    The rest make me cringe...
    I love you, too. Wait, "first two seasons," didn't you like Tamers?

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    What usually inspires you to continue writing?

Anything. It can range from reviweing someone else's fic to riding in the car to watching TV. When I'm stuck at a point in my writing or simply bored, random little things will get me back to it. It's unpredictable and unprovokable, really. :D

From the fic itself. If there's any particular theme or word that sticks out, or simply a common topic, I often use it. Unless it's a oneshot I'm writing, my titles usually aren't that crafty. In fact, they are often blatantly obvious. *glances at banner in sig* But all the same, they work for me, sooo... XP

Do/have you ever let emotions such as anger get in the way of writing fanfics, or would you rather put the emotions towards energy for writing?

Actually, I moreso use writing as a distraction from "bad" emotions rather than letting those emotions get in the way. And while I often (at least try to) make my scenes full of detailed emotion, most of the time the scene's emotion has absolutely nothing to do with my own. I can be writing about the death of a beloved character and the sorrow surrounding the event, yet in real life feel as happy and jolly as can be. It's kind of scary... in its own way...

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
  • I come back to find my pair loving my mom. O_O Awkward much?
    That was the topic on Maury today. xD

Couple of questions:

Example

"Hi." person 1

"Good, and you" person 1

For the first question, as Gooberdued said, that is technically chatspeak, which is not allowed. At all.

As for the second question, it just looked like a different form of Script format. It doesn't show any emotion at all and a fic written like this would most likely get closed.

Buoysel

Years
  • As for the second question, it just looked like a different form of Script format. It doesn't show any emotion at all and a fic written like this would most likely get closed.

used as an example because I don't want to give away what happens in my next chapter.

EDIT:

I guess a little won't hurt.

"Watch it! You almost hit me," the voice was a little agitated.

"Sorry."

"So, seeing isn't believing?"

"No, I think I'm still hallucinating."

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
  • used as an example because I don't want to give away what happens in my next chapter.

EDIT:

I guess a little won't hurt.

"Watch it! You almost hit me," the voice was a little agitated.

"Sorry."

"So, seeing isn't believing?"

"No, I think I'm still hallucinating."

I think I know what you mean. You're asking if it's okay to sometime leave the space after the dialogue blank sometimes, right? As long as there are only two people talking and you've established what order they're talking in, then it's okay.

Buoysel

Years
  • I think I know what you mean. You're asking if it's okay to sometime leave the space after the dialogue blank sometimes, right? As long as there are only two people talking and you've established what order they're talking in, then it's okay.

Basically, yes. What do you think of the part I posted?

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • How often do you think about Symbols, Motifs, etc., when writing a fic?

Symbols, frequently. Because I'm a cryptic *****.

Everything else, not that much. Whatever happens, happens. And if someone points out a theme, then I'm like, "Oh yeah! I totally was pretentious when I wrote this!" >_> <_<

It's really difficult actually, and I'm worried that it might just pass over some of my reader's heads.

*nod* It tends to be difficult because you're never sure you know your audience all the way through. My advice is just to do it anyway and attract an audience that can see it. Or at least implement something that also entices the readers who wouldn't get it. I mean, for example, a lot of popular short stories and novels are popular because of the stories they tell. If there's anything deeper, then it's okay, but you won't lose the audience because some of them didn't get it, you know?

One part an obsessive drive to finish everything I start, one part because I feel like telling a story, and one part sheer egotism. Yes, I like praise. (Hey, at least I'm honest.)

Usually out of nowhere, relating to an obscure element in the story itself. (For this reason, I usually don't come up with a title until I'm either finished or a good part of the way in.) Sometimes, it's a pun on a play or movie. Sometimes, it's a common-known phrase that might be adapted to refer to something in the story. Sometimes, it's just something that was in my head at the time. *shrug* I'm not that great at titles.

Do/have you ever let emotions such as anger get in the way of writing fanfics, or would you rather put the emotions towards energy for writing?

Put the emotions towards writing. I write some of my best stuff when trying to get over something or other. I write some of my worst when I'm feeling indifferent.

I come back to find my pair loving my mom. O_O Awkward much?

"And here's to you, Mrs. Robinson..."

Hi, by the way. *hugs*

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
  • SilverSmeargleSplatter said:
    I come back to find my pair loving my mom. O_O Awkward much?
    It doesn't stop there either, if you look at Jax's sig, your sister loves your mom, too. Awkward more!

Jax Malcolm said:
    Jesus loves Asty more than she will know. (Wo, wo, wo.)

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • It doesn't stop there either, if you look at Jax's sig, your sister loves your mom, too. Awkward more!

That's not awkward--that's state law! :D

Hi, by the way. *hugs*

x3

-hugged- Yay! I am loved by the masses! :D

Oh yeah...OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

Ageless Irony

MANIC SPAMMER
    Years
  • I smell an affair. ;;
    I'm not having an affair with your Mom.
    ...As hilarious as that sounds...
    Besides, I don't think Astinus even knows...thing....me...
    My train of thought wrecked D:

SilverSmeargleSplatter;3739267Wait. Wait said:
    world[/I] names a high school...Richmond? I mean really! Come on!
    The guy who wrote the book?
    I forget his name.
    He's some sort of author or something...

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I'm not having an affair with your Mom.
    ...As hilarious as that sounds...

Everyone wants my mom. But that's fine. I walk in the band room and it's like "Heeeey Siiiiiilverrrrr<333" Gee. I bet the other section leaders just wish they were awesomely sexy! ;D

The guy who wrote the book?
    I forget his name.
    He's some sort of author or something...

At least it's not like...Crack Addict High. >>; No pun intended.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Who in the world names a high school...Richmond? I mean really! Come on!
    Well, there IS a place in Australia called Richmond, so there could be a Richmond High School, actually. So, yeah.

I don't live near there though.

Oh and I'm taking a holiday now for a wekk, so bye peoples. *leaves, whistling a PC version of Mrs. Robinson* Now THAT's a good song.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    That's not awkward--that's state law! :D
    And that's because it's the hottest thing to ever be created. Seriously, who can deny it. Who can explain it? Fools can't explain it. Wise men never try~!

How often do you think about Symbols, Motifs, etc., when writing a fic?

Never. They happen when they happen. Plus, I'm really obvious when it comes to symbols. Mine basically hover over the reader, ready to smack them when they're unaware with a 4 x 2.

I imagine all of my characters preparing to kill me in my sleep if I don't do some writing/planning every day.

Long Twilight Struggle - Came from JFK's speech. But I heard it mostly from my history teacher...who looked like Andy. <3

Lucidity - Song lyric. "Silent Lucidity". <3

So from various sources. I'm never sure when a good title is going to strike me, but once it does, it just sticks.

The only emotion that stops me from writing is depression. I can't stop thinking about what causes me to be depressed or rather stupid things I don't want to mention. It's a struggle to write.

Other times, I just leave my emotions at the door.

Who in the world names a high school...Richmond? I mean really! Come on!
    People who live in Richmond, Virginia? Or Richmond, Indiana? Or Richmond, California? Or Richmond, New South Wales, Australia?

Jesus loves you more than you will know! God bless you, please, Mrs. Robinson! Heaven holds a place for those who pray!

I listened to Simon and Garfunkel so many times growing up, I wore out my cassette player. And I think I just dated myself. o.O

If I had a million dollars, I would buy you some art. ( A Picasso or a Garfunkel!)

When my thought processes mix in with other people's thought processes, train wrecks occur.

THERE ARE NO SURVIVORS.

And you sneaked in without me noticing. So it wasn't until Jesus was mentioned that I noticed something was afoul. And I don't like afoul things.

My level of functioning while tired astounds me. Astounds, people.

Golden Riolu

Finally Back
    Years
  • How often do you think about Symbols, Motifs, etc., when writing a fic?

Never, really. I don't even think about foreshadowing, it just happens. Basically my characters do what they want and I just write it down.

Hmm. Nothing. When I was writing my first few stories, the thought of Eruri was enough to keep me going. Now with Visions Of Fate I have Eruri, Shadow and a few others that I'm really fond of, but for some reason only the parts with them come easily. The rest of the story is a real struggle.

It's as random as the word that came out when I accidentally squashed the keyboard with my fist. Well, not quite that random. I usually choose the main theme of the story as the title. 'Broken' (a one-shot I posted here a while ago) came because the main character's heart was broken. 'Visions Of Fate' because, er, the characters have visions that lead them to their fate.

I have learned, over several years, to completely block out my emotions, and I use this for writing. I only let through the emotions that can help me. If a character is angry, I think of the injustice of it all and get angry to write. If a character is hopelessly in love, I think of the person who still won't accept how I feel about him, and use that.

~Golden

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • Do/have you ever let emotions such as anger get in the way of writing fanfics, or would you rather put the emotions towards energy for writing?

Well, some probably don't, but I definitely (YES!) use my emotions towards my writing. Most of the time, it'll help me figure something out and find new interesting approach or road. I use them all the time, helps me stay into the fic and enjoy it. :D So, yes, I do let my emotions flood me when I write fics. XD

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back