• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The 3DS Information/Discussion Thread

Years
Ack! Forgot I posted in this thread! I guess with all the marketing and hype that surrounded it, I was expecting a 3D experience along the lines of some of the best exploitations of the technology in cinema. Your Avatars and your Toy Story 3s and what have you. Obviously, you can't get that on such a small screen, though (although I was impressed by the size of it relative to my current DS). I could certainly tell the change in depth of focus but... I guess I was expecting things popping out of the screen to me. When playing Nintendogs, for example, I wanted the dogs and cats to come and try and actually jump out of the screen and lick my face. Instead of making me feel like I was there, the game just made me feel like I was watching a larger room with the dogs and cats in it, but still behind a screen.

Maybe the demonstration setting wasn't the best time to see it, though... I imagine I'll end up getting one in about a year's time, or maybe for Christmas. Who knows?!

Mhmm, maybe.
And my God the NGS is going to be huge. Anyway, I haven't had a good chance to play on it yet, but it will happen soon.

:::EDIT:::
NEW QUESTION: If you have bought a 3DS, how do you like it? Better, worse or what you expected?

Last edited:

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
Years
If you have bought a 3DS, how do you like it? Better, worse or what you expected?

If I had to give my purchase a rating, I would give it a 7/10. I like the 3DS itself, seems like a beautiful piece of hardware (have yet to run into battery troubles) and the pre installed software is actually entertaining. Sadly, I cannot say the same about the launch lineup. Nintendo seems to have learned NOTHING from the lackluster DS launch games. I want to convince my friends to buy a 3DS, but seeing as there are no signs of a shortage comparable to that of the Wii, they really could just wait until the library is more robust. Oh well, I expect Kid Icarus and LoZ:OoT to come out sooner rather than later.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
If you have bought a 3DS, how do you like it? Better, worse or what you expected? To be honest, it's kind of worse. I thought it would be absolutely magnificent, but it's just a great game system anyway. I literally expected it to be a 14/10, but it's more like an 8. The launch lineup is horrible, but way better games will be coming out in the near future. I haven't even bought any games for it yet, because I think I can wait until June for my Shin Megami Tensei. It's a very nice system though, and the 3D is great, there aren't any gimmicks or detriments to it. It works how it is supposed to, and it is genuinely three dimensional and even looks tangible sometimes. The design is good, but I think Nintendo did a lot of experimenting for this design. Many things are below a plastic sheet of finished to give it a more smooth look, and the only thing I can complain about is that the hinges aren't very curved, like in the DS lite and DSi. The battery life is okay, and I can't really complain about it. I can go through a day of playing White without having to recharge if the brightness is down all the way, which is still very bright. Overall, I think the 3DS is a good system, and even if you don't like the games and things right now, it's a good system to keep your eye on.

Last edited:

blue

gucci
Years
If you have bought a 3DS, how do you like it? Better, worse or what you expected?

In some ways it's better but in some ways it's not as good, I'm blown away by the 3Dness.. and It's really good games, I just kinda expected it to be more 3D if that makes sence. Also the battery life is nowhere near as good as the 18-22 hour long DS Lite battery life (I think it's 18-22) with the 3DS only having 4-7 hours, then again it's alot of 3D.

I'm also waiting for Mario Kart 3DS to be released.. don't know when thoughhh.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
Years
You can't really complain about the battery life on the 3DS. I mean, it's trying to churn out countless amounts of awesome graphics, projecting 3D for you, and also all that brightness as well as sound on such a small battery. It's no surprise that it get's drained so fast. I mean, most of the time I leave mine plugged in, so it wouldn't really bother me. :)

Although such a short battery life would be annoying for long trips and things like that. :( I also get my 3DS hopefully tomorrow. :D

Years
  • Seen Apr 19, 2011
You can't really complain about the battery life on the 3DS. I mean, it's trying to churn out countless amounts of awesome graphics, projecting 3D for you, and also all that brightness as well as sound on such a small battery. It's no surprise that it get's drained so fast. I mean, most of the time I leave mine plugged in, so it wouldn't really bother me. :)

Although such a short battery life would be annoying for long trips and things like that. :( I also get my 3DS hopefully tomorrow. :D

That's true, but a short battery life can still be crippling for portable systems. Handhelds like the Game Gear and Nomad had short battery lives, which made the whole "handheld" thing a moot point. Nintendo has always offered a better battery life.

The difference here, of course, is important. I think I remember the Nomad taking 6 double-A batteries; that's an absurd expense and it's no wonder people didn't want to play it with that short of a battery life. The 3DS, on the other hand, doesn't cost quite that much to maintain. The dock is efficient and the battery life's better than what those old systems had to offer. Plus, the other major difference is that you can change the battery. A lot of people are ignoring this to their own detriment. Nyko has a battery on the market already that supposedly lasts twice as long as the 3DS's and only costs $20 (grr...can't post links yet. Just google it).

I just used my Nomad as an alternative to the Genesis, plugging it into the TV instead of taking it on the go. Likewise, for the past few years I've had little need for a handheld system--I just sit and play my DS at home and enjoy its unique dual screen interface and touch screen capabilities for which there is no alternative on the consoles. It's the same with the 3DS. So battery life isn't a problem for me, but if it were, I'd readily pick up the Nyko battery, which is a very affordable solution.

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017

I'm not going to base my answer on the launch line up, just because there will be greater games and I'm satisfied right now and can wait for any future 3D games, so I give it a 9/10. The 3D is amazing, to the point that when I focus on something coming out towards me, the background blurs just like real life, which is just amazing. All of the built in games are really cool, and I can't wait for the browser and the eShop to come in a future update. And the game that I bought with it (Pilotwings) is just a really good game to fly around in a 3D universe, and I absolutley love it. I can't wait for some Mario, Pokemon, and other GameFreak games to come out on it.

Years
I am not getting a 3DS. Crossing your eyes while playing a regular DS will produce the same 3D effect and apparently twice the unconsciousness.

Uhhh... no it doesn't. It makes double the the image and is blurry. This isn't the same as the 3DS, as it actually works. But, if you don't want to buy it because you don't like it, it is fair enough.

I am just waiting for some games that I like to come out! D:​

Years
I was really impressed by the 3ds, i was really skeptical of it when i first heard about it and when i saw the adds of the pple goin"whoa" and all this over dramatic crap but i got ta give it go in my local game store and i was really shocked at how good the 3d was without the glasses. Wont be gettin it yet tho, think i'll wait a bit to see if any newer versions come, which of course there will :P plus i dont need it urgently anyway, only want it for kingdom hearts xP

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
Years
Well, I'm annoyed since the 3DS were meant to come into my local EB Games on Monday or Tuesday, but it still hasn't come in yet, which is annoying. I'm hoping it comes in tomorrow so I can still get it with the deal I asked for, which apparently runs out tomorrow as well. :(

arceus123shiny

pkmn 4ever
Years
Nintendo has also announced a deal with AT&T to allow the 3DS to connect automatically to AT&T's network of Wi-Fi hotspots. 3DS owners will have to opt in to the platform's SpotPass service to use the AT&T network.

Lastly, Nintendo has announced that a summer update will bring Netflix instant streaming support to the 3DS, allowng Netflix subscribers to pick up their streaming queue on the new handheld. No word on if this gives Netflix any incentive to start streaming 3D movies, but I'm going to go ahead and say that probably won't happen anytime soon.

The 3DS Virtual Console will include games that were originally for the TurboGrafx-16, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Gear. These will appear in 2D, but a new "3D Classics" label will appear on classic games that have been "remastered" in 3D. A web browser and access to the games currently sold on Nintendo's DSiWare store will also be available on the 3DS after this May update, allowing a new generation of handheld owners to experience the majesty and the pagentry of DSiWare for themselves. If you've already purchased some DSiWare software, the May update will also include a way for you to transfer your purchases over to a 3DS.

Last edited:

LilacArcanine

Aiber Enthusiast
Years
I thought the 3DS was a cheap cashin on the 3D phenomenon, but I like it.

I have no problems with the battery life (primarily because I have a DSi XL which lasts like four hours on one charge), the 3D is awesome and I love the prebuilt software.

Only gripe is when I play it without my prescription glasses (I know...) the 3D isn't as noticeable. Primarily because I have strabismus though.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
Years
I'll be waiting before I, if I ever do, pick one up. It looks fun, but I just can't see myself buying many games and I'm sure it'd sit in my desk for years before I started actively playing it (like just happened with my DS).

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
Years
Well, since EB Games failed to come through for me, and wouldn't give me the deal I wanted, I ended up going to another store, which happened to have the 3DS in at the time, and bought it there instead. It's actually really fun if you ask me. The 3D isn't really something which is a gimmick at all, and it works much better than I anticipated. The only game I have now is Super Street Fighter 4, so I'll be hoping to expand soon to something simple like Nintendogs + cats, and then wait for more games.

Everyone Esplode Noaw

Resident Russia Fanboy
Years
Uhhh... no it doesn't. It makes double the the image and is blurry. This isn't the same as the 3DS, as it actually works. But, if you don't want to buy it because you don't like it, it is fair enough.

I am just waiting for some games that I like to come out! D:
I was just kidding! :)
I like the concept, but I'm not sure about the health concerns...

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
I was just kidding! :)
I like the concept, but I'm not sure about the health concerns...

I'm pretty sure the worst of the health concerns is with kids six or younger. The worst that could happen (I would think) would be getting a headache from looking at it the wrong way.

Back