• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokémon Maize Version [BETA 3 RELEASED]

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
One more thing i just noticed in quartz city after you have the scene in the lab with timmy i can't enter the lab again. sometimes the game just freezes other times i get a message that says "unkown opcode e3 at d34b"
Thanks for reporting this. I'll put it on my list of bugs I need to fix.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
I updated the Pokémon Maize Event. If you missed out on the Sunglasses Squirtle, then too bad! Don't worry, I'll run that event again after the full game has been released. Here's the new event:

tMBKRh6.png

Click here to grab your event code!

---------------------------

I don't really have any cool updates to share about Maize. I've been working hard on my Pokémon Pinball disassembly, so unfortunately it's been taking away time from Maize. I did add about 10 baby pokemon to the game, and I created an interesting maze in the Macer Tunnels, where some important events happen.

Also, apparently the mods moved this to the Progressing Hacks section without telling me. Oh well.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 2, 2015
Yo! I just found your hack today and I have to say, it looks absolutely fantastic! I'm not normally that thrilled about Gen 1 hacks, but this looks really well done! I'd love to LP it once it's finished~

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
Yo! I just found your hack today and I have to say, it looks absolutely fantastic! I'm not normally that thrilled about Gen 1 hacks, but this looks really well done! I'd love to LP it once it's finished~

Thank you! I'm hoping it will be finished this summer. However, I'm currently taking a break from it to work on my pokemon pinball project.

Wait, why was the thread moved to Progressing Hacks??

There was a rule change. It needs to have roughly 7 Gyms of progress to be in the showcase.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
I hate that it's come to this, but I could really use some help finishing Maize Version. I'm rather burned out from creating content. Mapping and driving the story takes a lot of creative juice, and I'm having trouble staying motivated to finishing this hack. If anybody is interested in helping finish Maize Version, I would be very grateful. To help, you don't need any Gen 1 ROM hacking experience. You don't really even need any ROM hacking experience to be honest.

Here's what I would love help with:
  1. Map-making - (I made a map editor you can use.)
  2. Story - (The game is already 6 badges, so there isn't too much more.)
  3. Spriting - (All the Gym Leaders are still from the original game :()

If you're interested, you can PM me here, or you can email me at [email protected].

Thanks, everyone.

JOBO

o/_\O
Years
I was recently browsing Pokemon gen 1 hacks online and stumbled upon your Pokemon Maize version. My first impression is WOW!! I may only have 3ish hours logged so far but the game is blowing me away. This is the first hack that has made me feel the same way Pokemon red,blue,yellow made me feel when I was a little kid. The map design is fluid and the music is a real treat. I love the new menu features and the day to night cycle. I just can't say enough good things about this!

The only problem I have had so far is the second gym battle against Tara. For some reason all of her Pokemon were using the move fly. Ryhorn and Gligar were using fly and Thundershock. I have a feeling this glitch happened because I had the event Pikachu in my party who also knows both fly and Thundershock. I restarted my Gameboy when I realized the battle was glitched and tried to see if it the glitch would recreate itself again (I was saved directly in front of Tara). After resetting the game the battle worked fine and the Pokemon were using their appropriate attacks. I am playing Maize on a backlight modded original gameboy using the Everdrive GB. I took a .sav copy from my Everdrive before progressing just in case it can be useful to you. Aside from that battle the game has been a dream come true! You are the true Pokemon master. :)

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
I was recently browsing Pokemon gen 1 hacks online and stumbled upon your Pokemon Maize version. My first impression is WOW!! I may only have 3ish hours logged so far but the game is blowing me away. This is the first hack that has made me feel the same way Pokemon red,blue,yellow made me feel when I was a little kid. The map design is fluid and the music is a real treat. I love the new menu features and the day to night cycle. I just can't say enough good things about this!

The only problem I have had so far is the second gym battle against Tara. For some reason all of her Pokemon were using the move fly. Ryhorn and Gligar were using fly and Thundershock. I have a feeling this glitch happened because I had the event Pikachu in my party who also knows both fly and Thundershock. I restarted my Gameboy when I realized the battle was glitched and tried to see if it the glitch would recreate itself again (I was saved directly in front of Tara). After resetting the game the battle worked fine and the Pokemon were using their appropriate attacks. I am playing Maize on a backlight modded original gameboy using the Everdrive GB. I took a .sav copy from my Everdrive before progressing just in case it can be useful to you. Aside from that battle the game has been a dream come true! You are the true Pokemon master. :)

Sorry about that glitch. I haven't heard that one before! I'm glad you like the game so far, too, and it's great to know somebody actually used the event giveaway thingy.

I've been thinking of picking up and Everdrive myself. Would you recommend it? Any problems with it?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Feb 11, 2024
Sorry about that glitch. I haven't heard that one before! I'm glad you like the game so far, too, and it's great to know somebody actually used the event giveaway thingy.

I've been thinking of picking up and Everdrive myself. Would you recommend it? Any problems with it?

I use a SmartCard GB. It's a bit less expensive and doesn't require an SD card:

http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/usb-64m-smart-card

Years
  • Seen Jun 28, 2023
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Feb 11, 2024
Yep, I have this one and it plays hacks just fine. I think there are complaints about it only allowing one game save or something, so make sure you research that in case it might cause issues for you (I don't exactly remember the details)

Yeah. You can only save one game at a time, but that doesn't both me. You can backup and transfer saves with a computer if you need to.

JOBO

o/_\O
Years

I highly recommend the Everdrive GB. Its very simple to use and can hold your entire GB/GBC library along with your saves for each game. I have yet to have any compatibility issues with regular roms or hacked roms.

I'm also happy to say I have completed beta 3! I clocked 10 hours by the end and had 4 main Pokemon around level 35-40. Overall the game was a lot of fun. I was really impressed with all the new features and mechanics of the game. I had a few LOL moments from npcs too haha, can't wait for the full release.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
I highly recommend the Everdrive GB. Its very simple to use and can hold your entire GB/GBC library along with your saves for each game. I have yet to have any compatibility issues with regular roms or hacked roms.
Yeah, I'm leaning toward the Everdrive because it can support multiple saves at once. Thanks for the info.

JOBO said:
I had a few LOL moments from npcs too haha, can't wait for the full release.
Yes! I'm funny! What a relief. Glad you enjoyed the game.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 19, 2018
Heya ShantyTown, I just wanted to express my extreme praise for what you've managed to do with this ROM hack and I really really hope that a final version sees the light of day!! As has been said before, the various little touches regarding the NPC comments, signs, bushes even(!!) were hilarious and the variety when it came to Gym Battles and simply the storyline as you trek through the region were all plus points.

I finished with my team:
Arcanine Lvl 32
Raticate Lvl 36
Kingler Lvl 35
Raichu Lvl 39
Weepinbell Lvl 36
Machamp Lvl 38

Just one question - I found Item, Moon Thunder and Fire Stones in my playthrough, but no Water or Leaf Stones?? For me it meant I couldn't evolve my Weepinbell :'( but for those who choose Staryu/Exeggcute, it could have a much bigger effect on their run. Are these items present in Beta 3.0??

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
Heya ShantyTown, I just wanted to express my extreme praise for what you've managed to do with this ROM hack and I really really hope that a final version sees the light of day!! As has been said before, the various little touches regarding the NPC comments, signs, bushes even(!!) were hilarious and the variety when it came to Gym Battles and simply the storyline as you trek through the region were all plus points.

I finished with my team:
Arcanine Lvl 32
Raticate Lvl 36
Kingler Lvl 35
Raichu Lvl 39
Weepinbell Lvl 36
Machamp Lvl 38

Just one question - I found Item, Moon Thunder and Fire Stones in my playthrough, but no Water or Leaf Stones?? For me it meant I couldn't evolve my Weepinbell :'( but for those who choose Staryu/Exeggcute, it could have a much bigger effect on their run. Are these items present in Beta 3.0??
Remember that momma Charmander whose dreams you crushed? She spits out the evolution stone that corresponds with your starter. You received a Fire Stone because you chose Growlithe.

I'm glad you enjoyed it so much! Did you try the Battle Factory? What was your least favorite part of the game? I'm almost about to start work on this hack again, once I finish up my current side project. Hopefully, the full version will be done by the end of summer.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 19, 2018
Ah, that's quite clever in that it pretty much ensures you do get the correct Elemental Stone for your starter (assuming you do that interaction obviously) Will there be another way of getting the other stones though - Eevee would certainly seem very different if they couldn't evolve into Vaporeon/Flareon because you already used your only Elemental Stone on your starter??

And the Battle Factory was a brilliant touch and has certainly added replay value - I've done one run-through with a 27 win-streak (Koga nailed my last Ivysaur with a surprise Scyther...) but I'm certainly planning on retrying and seeing how far I can get :). I don't know how many battles you could theoretically do but I must admit the thought of having to do the first 14 battles all over again seems frustrating - maybe you could introduce a method of being able to skip to a given level - maybe after 35 battles?? Just a thought :)

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 19, 2018
Aside from not being able to evolve Weepinbell, I don't have that many criticisms!! The Bike Park seemed a little harsh at first - very trial-and-error until I realised that moving over the different ground tiles made such a dramatic difference, so that could potentially be mentioned beforehand in some way?? And I don't know what plans you have for the Copper Town/Pyrite City feud but maybe the player-character could play an active part in that?? Again, these are more suggestions than actual criticisms.

The only other thing I've experienced is that the movesets seem a little different - my Pikachu never learned Thunderbolt and I held off evolving him till Level 30. Additionally, I've seen on other Youtube vids of this game that Exeggcute doesn't seem to learn anything particularly powerful for ages (although I can't confirm that) But those are the only things I can think of!!

What I really like is the way the story leads you to different cities - rather than telling you "go here, go there" you make you way to each place in turn, you make your own decisions about whether to take the Dive route, or venture into the shifting-forest-place and that (for me) really helps with the exploratory part of the game, so I hope the last parts of the game follow in a similar vein :)

Best wishes in development

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
Will there be another way of getting the other stones though?
Of course!

I must admit the thought of having to do the first 14 battles all over again seems frustrating - maybe you could introduce a method of being able to skip to a given level - maybe after 35 battles??
That's not how the real Battle Factory works, and I'm going to keep it the way it is. Guess you'll just have to be more hardcore. :)

The Bike Park seemed a little harsh at first - very trial-and-error until I realised that moving over the different ground tiles made such a dramatic difference, so that could potentially be mentioned beforehand in some way??
Yep, I agree. More of an explanation is needed. I"m scared the player will give up and not get STRENGTH at the end of it.

my Pikachu never learned Thunderbolt and I held off evolving him till Level 30.
Pikachu doesn't learn Thunderbolt naturally in Red/Blue -- just in Yellow Version.

Best wishes in development
Thanks for playing!

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2017
I have this reocurring problem with your hack that i don't knowhow to solve...: I can't play in GameYob (gb/gbc emulator for DS developped by someone on GBATemp) because it freezes at the title screen with the Ampharos, and while it seems to work with Lameboy but the save file disappear randomly after some time like a real cartridge with a dead battery...because of that I stopped playing because I don't want to loose my shinys again...:(

Back