• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gen VII speculation, new features and discussion thread

Where do you want the Next Generation of pokemon to be based in?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Anyways on topic I'll like to see Torkoal get the Roselia treatment in Gen VII. I hope GF realizes that (some) fans still want some normal evos to old mons.

I hope that normal evos aren't dead, but unfortunately, they may be and not because of Megas. Giving new evolutions to Pokémon that can't already evolve would require retconning the Eviolite item, and GF seems to hate those kinds of retcons. (See, Eevee needing a Mossy Rock instead of a Leaf Stone to become Leafeon.)

Of course, Eviolite was partially created in the first place because of the negative reaction many of Gen 4's new evos got. A lot of people wanted a reason to continue using Rhydon over Rhyperior or Electabuzz over Electivire, and Eviolite gave them one. Megas also seem to be a reaction to that as well, buffing underpowered Pokémon to more "competitive" levels without being a permanent form change (unlike the Gen 4 evos).

Years
  • There weren't many of the Generation IV evolutions that I didn't like; some of them changed their stats in ways that made them a lot different - Electabuzz for one got an evolution that made it orient more towards the Attack, and Rhydon got one with an ability that lowers super-effective damage. Some of them didn't change much, but I think they were satisfactory.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I hope that normal evos aren't dead, but unfortunately, they may be and not because of Megas. Giving new evolutions to Pokémon that can't already evolve would require retconning the Eviolite item, and GF seems to hate those kinds of retcons. (See, Eevee needing a Mossy Rock instead of a Leaf Stone to become Leafeon.)

Of course, Eviolite was partially created in the first place because of the negative reaction many of Gen 4's new evos got. A lot of people wanted a reason to continue using Rhydon over Rhyperior or Electabuzz over Electivire, and Eviolite gave them one. Megas also seem to be a reaction to that as well, buffing underpowered Pokémon to more "competitive" levels without being a permanent form change (unlike the Gen 4 evos).
    I guess that's true...but if they do an alternate timeline next gen they could include a evolite change too, like in the new Timeline Jynx isn't the final evolution of Smoochum's line,etc.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    I guess that's true...but if they do an alternate timeline next gen they could include a evolite change too, like in the new Timeline Jynx isn't the final evolution of Smoochum's line,etc.

At this point, I really want them to do a hard reset and actually retcon things like that. I still want all of Eevee's evolutions to use stones. :P

Years
  • i would like a fossil legendary Pokemon trio
    I wonder how that'll be if done. I have in mind that they could have the fossil scientist tell us how the region was created long ago by three very ancient but now extinct Pokémon. Later we'll find one and we will need to fetch the scientist (either call, or go back) for him to revive it, but we'll need some crystal or something to power the fossil reviver to work on the legend. Once we do that it can be revived then cue cutscene and battle. Such a trio would fit a region based on Australia (oldest known rocks are from there), or China (a lot of dinosaur fossils are being unearthed), could also be another place...after all Kyushu- Judaism and US-Taoism are odd couples. One of them could be an ancient shark, another a pterosaur or insect, third can be a dinosaur of some kind. Or maybe an amphibian, a bird like dino, and a land whale that is losing it's legs inbetween of sea-land, land-sky, land-sea.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • The only things I'm more or less sure about:

- The Strange Souvenir will play a part.
    - Mega Evolution is here to stay. Sorry, Mega Evolution haters, but they'll NEVER leave the other starters with nothing.
    - It will be compatible with the Pokémon Bank.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    I wonder how that'll be if done. I have in mind that they could have the fossil scientist tell us how the region was created long ago by three very ancient but now extinct Pokémon. Later we'll find one and we will need to fetch the scientist (either call, or go back) for him to revive it, but we'll need some crystal or something to power the fossil reviver to work on the legend. Once we do that it can be revived then cue cutscene and battle. Such a trio would fit a region based on Australia (oldest known rocks are from there), or China (a lot of dinosaur fossils are being unearthed), could also be another place...after all Kyushu- Judaism and US-Taoism are odd couples. One of them could be an ancient shark, another a pterosaur or insect, third can be a dinosaur of some kind. Or maybe an amphibian, a bird like dino, and a land whale that is losing it's legs inbetween of sea-land, land-sky, land-sea.

i was thinking that a common bird, fish, and land type Pokemon such as like a ratata, pidgey, magikarp can hold it by chance. almost the level of a shiny. having high chance of running away too. once the fossil is obtained, it can be revived and goes for a battle in order to obtain it.

but now that i think about it, i would like a insect legendary.

Years
  • ^ Me too, we've seen legendary Pokémon of all sorts of types but nothing based off an insect to my recollection. Volcarona doesn't really count but it's one quite a few people call legendary, even though it isn't.

As for Mega Evolution like Cerberus said, it's not likely they're going to abandon that either.

Years
  • ^ Me too, we've seen legendary Pokémon of all sorts of types but nothing based off an insect to my recollection. Volcarona doesn't really count but it's one quite a few people call legendary, even though it isn't.

As for Mega Evolution like Cerberus said, it's not likely they're going to abandon that either.
    So Genesect is not an insect (I tend to get the bug vs insect confused)?

Speaking about removing stuff Sugimori mentioned how they wanted Gen VII to be simpiler. Some are taking it to mean that they may remove some features (over simply just making the Pokemon have less stuff added to them like say spikes on Mega Garchomp). Now if he did mean that they will go to more simpiler mechanics I wonder what they will take away. Mega Evolution is quite simple (though I wish it was more elaborate than just press the button on the bottom of the screen...) so I don't think they will remove it. Maybe they will retire some useless moves like Splash, as well as retire moves that are the same type, use the same stat, and have the same effects as another.

Years
  • Oh wow, I forgot about Genesect. Didn't even think about that one x_x

But if they plan to make this simpler then i'd think they would keep some of the game-breaking mechanics used in the game.

Years
  • Oh wow, I forgot about Genesect. Didn't even think about that one x_x

But if they plan to make this simpler then i'd think they would keep some of the game-breaking mechanics used in the game.

I think they meant in terms of design and maybe mechanics, over the easy kind of simple (game play). Sugimori did meant he wanted to return to simple, so I'm assuming he's referring to a Gen I like simple (maybe Gen II, or even III).

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer
    Years
  • Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 9, 2021
    Do you think we'll see Amiibo integration with future pokemon games? Would it be exclusive pokemon releases (like Diancie etc) via Amiibo (not a good idea if you ask me as it turns it into needing cash for pokemon) or amiibo cards to give specific helpful in game items that would be non essential but nice to have.

Or further still special versions of pokemon with special movesets?

Years
  • If we have the Amiibos for Smash, then it's possible they could do something with Rumble Blast U, or any other Wii U/New 3DS game they might come out with.

Splash

But nothing happened.
    Years
  • [Gen VII] New Features Contribution Thread

Or in other words let's help Gamefreak come up with new ideas for Pokemon to stay alive haha
    If you could add a new feature in Gen 7 that is entirely new what would it be?
    If I would make a new feature for Gen 7. I think I'll put something like move stacking. You save up up to 3 moves and release them all at once. Not gonna happen though since it's too broken haha..
    Imagine using two swords dance then a physical attack move xD

Hmm so guys what kind of feature would you make?

Limbo

Basically, I love glasses
    Years
  • quadruple battles!
    Ok, this is probably never gonna happen because it would make the gameplay too complex, but what about a system where you get to choose how your Pokemon reacts to oncoming attacks?

Usually when a Pokemon launches an attack, the attacked Pokemon is just.. stationary. And with some moves there's a predetermined chance the Pokemon will miss, or the attacked Pokemon will dodge, but nothing much else. There are evasion raising and accuracy lowering moves to help, but it's just not enough. Instead, why not give the attacked Pokemon a chance to react?

What I propose is something along these lines: when an enemy attacks, you're presented with three choices: Dodge, Defend, or Counter-attack.

If you choose to dodge, your Pokemon will try to evade the oncoming attack. Its chances of success at this depend on a mathematical formula taking into account both Pokemon's speed stats, the difference between the attacker's accuracy stat and the defender's evasion stat, and the move's accuracy. The catch is, if you fail at dodging, the oncoming attack's damage is increased because your Pokemon was unprepared to take it. Perhaps by 5% to 10% or so, nothing too broken.

If you choose to defend it's even simpler: your Pokemon braces itself for the attack. The damage then done is calculated based on the attacker's attack/sp.attack and defender's defense/sp.defense and the move's power as usual, but the damage would be reduced by about 10% to 15%.

Counter-attack is like the name implies as well. First your Pokemon get hit, with the attack doing normal damage. Then if your Pokemon is still up, you can select a move to counter-attack with. But, this counter-attack will be significantly weaker than normal. Its damage will be reduced by about 40% to 50%, since it is almost guaranteed to hit the opponent (well, depending on its accuracy and your Pokemon's accuracy).

This only applies to damaging moves of course. Other moves would probably continue to function like normal, since there's a lot of different kinds and many of them are generally unavoidable/defendable. Plus being able to counter-attack any move is pretty broken, even if the damage is reduced. There are also no-miss moves, which would disable the dodge function and limit you to defending or counter-attacking. If either a Pokemon misses its attack, or a one-hit-kill move is about to strike true, the options won't even appear.

It's just a rough idea that I think would probably need to be nerfed down, but I think it'd add a whole new level to the gameplay. It would be nice if they made a spin-off with this sort of system implemented, at least, made for the older fans. ;3

Years
  • If speed stats factored in a Pokémon's chance of evading attacks, that would actually make sense - you know how in the anime, trainers always tell their Pokémon to dodge attacks? Speed would definitely combine a factor in being able to do that. Something really slow wouldn't be able to as easily, though. So that's a nice point.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back