• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gen VII speculation, new features and discussion thread

Where do you want the Next Generation of pokemon to be based in?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mcminer2011

Leader of Team Amethyst
Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2015
    I'd honestly like to see Boutiques and Player customization make a return maybe extend them a bit more to add facial options such as Makeup and markings. Maybe some more clothing options as well.

I'd also like a few more Pokémon. Not too many to keep the quality good.

mcminer2011

Leader of Team Amethyst
    Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2015
    Side note: Please keep the battle chateau Gamefreak. Maybe upgrade it to include friends of ours to fight. I'd love that too.

colter519

Youngster
    Years
  • I do like the boutique/player customization aspect of x/y, and I think it should stay. It helped make me feel more like I was the actual trainer. It also helps with the increasing globalization of pokemon games. Also, I want contests to stay! I really enjoy having them as a nice side quest. Personally, I think it would be fun to have more player choices (such as an option to join the evil team) because ideas like that spark some fascinating gameplay. More than that, however, I want the ability to travel to other regions. It doesn't even need to be in the same time frame of the other region, such as the johto games taking place 3 years after kanto. I just want a bit more world exploration postgame. Or possibly having options like that when you start the game. As far as introducing a new region goes, I like the idea of something more wilderness filled. And I wouldn't complain if the starter pokemon didn't get sub types. Or they could just start everyone with an Eevee. Give us some more eeveelutions (like poison, fighting, steel, dragon) and then we could have all sorts of fun with that little guy. Oh, and gym leader rematches should be a thing, and not just in battle tower/frontier/maison/whatever they want to call it this go around.

Come to think of it, if they want to go a super crazy route, they could focus on celebi's time traveling abilities and make time travel a gameplay mechanic...or if they went with an oceanic region (which could be very fun) there could be tons of underwater exploration going on at all times. Make dive work kinda like soar does in the ability to go up and down. And I do think that soar needs to stay, even if they choose to revamp it somehow.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I would like for each game of the pair to have it's own (new) region with it's own unique story but is linked in some ways to the other's history. Post game we can go to the opposite game's region. The third legend could be either in a Mt. Silver like area (between both regions), or there could be a mini region, or instead of a trio we could get a quad with two box legends in each region instead of 1.5 xD.

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2021
    One thing I would like to see in Gen VII is much greater emphasis on alternative evolution lines, with level-based evolutions having minimal focus on the game (mainly restricted to very high, maybe early-mid 40s, levels to reach full evolution on the new pokemon, if at all). While it is not a big change as far as the core game is concerned, as it leaves the core game unchanged, it would change the way the game is played a lot and arguably makes the world feel more alive. Instead of relying on levels to power up your pokemon, you would be forced to choose what evolutionary route to take and allows for an insane amount of customization within teambuilding. The caveat with all of this is that a lot of the older pokemon will need to receive alternative evolutions in order to transition somewhat smoothly, which a lot of fans hated Gen IV for doing.
    Other things I would like to see is the ability to send copies of TMs over WiFi as well as very early access to a daycare, to make it much easier for people to get into competitive battling on the hardware, as well bring back whatever VI removed from V (especially Seasons, that was a great idea and I was disappointed that they did not carry through to Gen VI).

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 9, 2021
    Id love to see a egg incubator added to the daycare, its not so much for when im doing intensive breeding as when I may have an egg or two im not bothered about but would like to hatch but really dont want an egg in my party. You'd pay for it still and have to do the steps (with no acceleration from o-powers etc) but you could leave it in and forget about it while playing.

Years
  • Id love to see a egg incubator added to the daycare, its not so much for when im doing intensive breeding as when I may have an egg or two im not bothered about but would like to hatch but really dont want an egg in my party. You'd pay for it still and have to do the steps (with no acceleration from o-powers etc) but you could leave it in and forget about it while playing.

Hm. Well we had the Nursery in Join Avenue in B2W2, but with something like what you speak of you'd leave an Egg so you could have room for other Pokémon in your party? If they could only hold one at a time it'd still probably be a chore.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I'll save United Kingdom for the sister game(s) of Pokémon X and Y versions. As for Gen VII, I would personally like to see Australia and South Africa as my second choice.

I would also like the following things to be added/altered:
    - A Fairy/Dragon type pseudo-legend and other more dual Fairy type combinations.
    - Moonblast for the Togepi family.
    - Some Pokémon like Heliolisk need to have their stats improve.
    - Real good post-game contents, rather than some Looker Episodes/Delta Episodes.
    - The addition of Fairy-type surely made the whole competitive scene more balanced than before. Imo, Grass-types and Ice-types are too neglected on the defensive side. Specially their weaknesses namely Poison-type (for Grass Pokémon) and Steel-type (for Ice Pokémon) moves/Pokémon gained more attention than ever. But majority of Grass or Ice Pokémon's defensive stats aren't that great too, isn't it reasonable to make Fairy-type moves not effective to Grass and Ice Pokémon instead of receiving neutral damage from the pixie moves?

Years
  • I'll save United Kingdom for the sister game(s) of Pokémon X and Y versions. As for Gen VII, I would personally like to see Australia and South Africa as my second choice.

I would also like the following things to be added/altered:
    - A Fairy/Dragon type pseudo-legend and other more dual Fairy type combinations.
    - Moonblast for the Togepi family.
    - Some Pokémon like Heliolisk need to have their stats improve.
    - Real good post-game contents, rather than some Looker Episodes/Delta Episodes.
    - The addition of Fairy-type surely made the whole competitive scene more balanced than before. Imo, Grass-types and Ice-types are too neglected on the defensive side. Specially their weaknesses namely Poison-type (for Grass Pokémon) and Steel-type (for Ice Pokémon) moves/Pokémon gained more attention than ever. But majority of Grass or Ice Pokémon's defensive stats aren't that great too, isn't it reasonable to make Fairy-type moves not effective to Grass and Ice Pokémon instead of receiving neutral damage from the pixie moves?

I really hope that they improve add those 10 missing points to Mega Alakazam as it's the only Mega/Primal to have a boost smaller than 100...

Also perhaps they could improve Sableye (and maybe Mawile too) a little with Sableye getting more plus 5 in special attack and likewise in it's Mega.

Sun

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I really hope that they improve add those 10 missing points to Mega Alakazam as it's the only Mega/Primal to have a boost smaller than 100...

Also perhaps they could improve Sableye (and maybe Mawile too) a little with Sableye getting more plus 5 in special attack and likewise in it's Mega.

Mi amigo, I agree with you as well.

I have nearly forgotten this.
    Even though there here are only 18 types, it's actually possible for dual type Gyms/E4 to exist, since there are over 700 Pokémon.Dual type E4 and Gyms sound unorthodox, but that's more fun and it increases the difficulties as well. The gym trainers and the leaders are of course not limited to a certain evolutionary family; A Dark/Dragon Gym doesn't limit the gym trainers and their leader to a team of Hydreigon. Lol. In this case Hydreigon acts as the Leader's major powerhouse(thus Dragon/Dark Gym), while that doesn't stop them from having Houndoom and Haxorus.

Years
  • Mi amigo, I agree with you as well.

Even though there here are only 18 types, it's actually possible for dual type Gyms/E4 to exist, since there are over 700 Pokémon.Dual type E4 and Gyms sound unorthodox, but that's more fun and it increases the difficulties as well. The gym trainers and the leaders are of course not limited to a certain evolutionary family; A Dark/Dragon Gym doesn't limit the gym trainers and their leader to a team of Hydreigon. Lol. In this case Hydreigon acts as the Leader's major powerhouse(thus Dragon/Dark Gym), while that doesn't stop them from having Houndoom and Haxorus.

That would be cool.

Speaking of Amigos we could have PokeAime renamed PokeAmigo for a region based on Mexico or any of the spanish speaking regions/countries (and Sinnoh/Kanto remakes).

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Mi amigo, I agree with you as well.

I think gyms should stay monotype. It makes the gymleader a type expert and that's the reason why they're chosen, instead of just some trainer. I base that on my personal head cannon though, as I just though of the fact that the Trio gym already doesn't fit this theme. What would be cool though is a gym with two leaders that specialize in two different types, though.

Years
  • Sadly, there are people who tend to think that Gyms are a waste of time because all they are most of the time is beating a marathon of Pokémon of certain types. But Generation VI's Gyms had trainers who actually came with pretty powerful Pokémon even in the scopes of the Gym Leaders they were backing - Korrina's Gym had trainers with Throh, Sawk and Hariyama, Olympia was pre-empted by opposition such as Medicham, Exeggutor and Gardevoir... Most of the other games weren't very good with this. Admittedly not even B2W2 was very good with Gym trainer variety.

Years
  • I actually had more trouble with the trainers than the Gym leaders themselves this Gen...so they have improved on the gym trainers...

Well GF seems to want to make Pokemon simple again. I wonder what things they may drop, or if perhaps instead GF will just not make new moves or abilities but keep what we already have and simply modify some of the old moves to make them more useful, and perhaps drop Splash like they did with the ??? type.

Sun

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    That would be cool.

Speaking of Amigos we could have PokeAime renamed PokeAmigo for a region based on Mexico or any of the spanish speaking regions/countries (and Sinnoh/Kanto remakes).

Hahaha, but PokéAmigo should not be a mere copy-paste of PokéAmie. Tell us what makes it different from our PokéAmie now? PokéAmigo is an intriguing idea. :P

Here's a highliight of Pokémon graphics and Pokémon interactions.

Gen I: Pixel images, not fully colored. Basic interactions through using items like Full Restore. Yellow Version expanded the interaction level (see Gen Ii and Gen IV).

Gen II: Intoduced us to colors. Happiness rate is introduced to all Pokémon, whereas tthis feature was exclusive to Pikachu on Yellow Version. Some Pokémon even evolve when the Happiness rate is high enough. It is worth to note that massages and hairgrooming are introduced in this generation and they can help improve the happiness.

Gen III: Introduced us to full colors, also starting from Emerald all Pokémon got intro animations, a feature introduced in Crystal version. Pokémon got Natures, which is retained till the current generation nowadays. One can also feed their Pokémon some candies called, PokéBlocks and participate Pokémon Contest, thus marking the interaction to an another level. Fr/Lg introduced 2 wireless mini-games, one that is limited to Dodrio and the another game limited to certain kinds of Pokémon. Those mini-games might not be memorable to some, but it is interesting to note the similarities between Dodrio berry game and Berry Picker from PokéAmie and the Jumping vine games to the Head It from PokéAmie.

Gen IV: Besides the Happiness rate and feeding sweets to Pokémon retained from the previous generations. The Pokémon Contest is further expanded to Coodinators dressing their own Pokémon. DP also first introduced Amity Square, a place where Trainers are able to send out and interact with their Pokémon, perhaps a homage to the interactable Pikachu from Yellow version? Note that only a few selected 'cute' Pokémon are able to interact through Amity Square. Then Pt further expanded the available Pokémon to interact with by adding the Sinnoh starters. HgSs took this interaction to a higher level: All 493 Pokémon can be sent out on most areas, some Pokémon show special responses on certain places, like Clefairy in Mt. Moon, Arceus event on Ruins lf Alph, Pikachu-colored Pichu event in Ilex Forest, etc. Secondly Pokéathlon (self explanatory).

Gen V: Instead of moving-intro animations upon sending out a Pokémon, they 'move' upon sending out, they move all along the way during battles (unless frozen). Sadly there isn't much improvement on the area of Pokémon interactions. Pokémon Dream World, where your own Pokémon isn't really used much. Except for tucking it in for accessing the features of DW. PokéStudios makes an honorable mention, but it isn't much different than your average battle except on following the script.

Gen VI: It is certainly not an exaggeration if Gen VI is called revolutionary, almost everything is 3D from this generation. Compare to the past generations, Pokémon battles are more realistic now. 3D is just one thing, there's even more. Our own Pokémon, even those came a long way from Gen III, can interact with us through the 3DS Camera. We can feed them and pet them as if they are almost the real thing. It is worth to note that starting from Gen VI, Pokémon have memories too. (Some say it's a way to check if a Pokémon's hacked or genuine, but you would be surprised what they can remember).

After that highlight, that brings up a great point. Where is Gen VII heading to? Hologram technique is a bit too advanced, but it is certainly exciting to imagine how the Pokémon interactions will evolve in Gen VII.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    But Generation VI's Gyms had trainers who actually came with pretty powerful Pokémon even in the scopes of the Gym Leaders they were backing - Korrina's Gym had trainers with Throh, Sawk and Hariyama, Olympia was pre-empted by opposition such as Medicham, Exeggutor and Gardevoir... Most of the other games weren't very good with this.

That can mostly be attributed to XY having such a large Regional Dex with tons of variety. It was hard for even the generic trainers to have dupes, let alone the Gym Leaders. Compare this, to say, Morty's Gym, which used nothing but the Gastly line because there weren't any other Ghosts (although Misdreavus existed at the time), or Clair's Gym using nothing but the Dratini and Horsea lines because there weren't any other Dragons.

Outside of remakes, I hope the days of Regional Dexes of 150-200 are over. It would be a huge step backwards to go back to Gyms that all use the same one or two families with the Gym Leader having a team like "Middle Evo/Middle Evo/Middle Evo/Third Evo."

Years
  • Hahaha, but PokéAmigo should not be a mere copy-paste of PokéAmie. Tell us what makes it different from our PokéAmie now? PokéAmigo is an intriguing idea. :P

Here's a highliight of Pokémon graphics and Pokémon interactions.

Gen I: Pixel images, not fully colored. Basic interactions through using items like Full Restore. Yellow Version expanded the interaction level (see Gen Ii and Gen IV).

Gen II: Intoduced us to colors. Happiness rate is introduced to all Pokémon, whereas tthis feature was exclusive to Pikachu on Yellow Version. Some Pokémon even evolve when the Happiness rate is high enough. It is worth to note that massages and hairgrooming are introduced in this generation and they can help improve the happiness.

Gen III: Introduced us to full colors, also starting from Emerald all Pokémon got intro animations, a feature introduced in Crystal version. Pokémon got Natures, which is retained till the current generation nowadays. One can also feed their Pokémon some candies called, PokéBlocks and participate Pokémon Contest, thus marking the interaction to an another level. Fr/Lg introduced 2 wireless mini-games, one that is limited to Dodrio and the another game limited to certain kinds of Pokémon. Those mini-games might not be memorable to some, but it is interesting to note the similarities between Dodrio berry game and Berry Picker from PokéAmie and the Jumping vine games to the Head It from PokéAmie.

Gen IV: Besides the Happiness rate and feeding sweets to Pokémon retained from the previous generations. The Pokémon Contest is further expanded to Coodinators dressing their own Pokémon. DP also first introduced Amity Square, a place where Trainers are able to send out and interact with their Pokémon, perhaps a homage to the interactable Pikachu from Yellow version? Note that only a few selected 'cute' Pokémon are able to interact through Amity Square. Then Pt further expanded the available Pokémon to interact with by adding the Sinnoh starters. HgSs took this interaction to a higher level: All 493 Pokémon can be sent out on most areas, some Pokémon show special responses on certain places, like Clefairy in Mt. Moon, Arceus event on Ruins lf Alph, Pikachu-colored Pichu event in Ilex Forest, etc. Secondly Pokéathlon (self explanatory).

Gen V: Instead of moving-intro animations upon sending out a Pokémon, they 'move' upon sending out, they move all along the way during battles (unless frozen). Sadly there isn't much improvement on the area of Pokémon interactions. Pokémon Dream World, where your own Pokémon isn't really used much. Except for tucking it in for accessing the features of DW. PokéStudios makes an honorable mention, but it isn't much different than your average battle except on following the script.

Gen VI: It is certainly not an exaggeration if Gen VI is called revolutionary, almost everything is 3D from this generation. Compare to the past generations, Pokémon battles are more realistic now. 3D is just one thing, there's even more. Our own Pokémon, even those came a long way from Gen III, can interact with us through the 3DS Camera. We can feed them and pet them as if they are almost the real thing. It is worth to note that starting from Gen VI, Pokémon have memories too. (Some say it's a way to check if a Pokémon's hacked or genuine, but you would be surprised what they can remember).

After that highlight, that brings up a great point. Where is Gen VII heading to? Hologram technique is a bit too advanced, but it is certainly exciting to imagine how the Pokémon interactions will evolve in Gen VII.
    Could have a different set of mini games and allow us the ability to have our mons follow us from behind ^_^.

As for the graphical improvement...how about full stereo scoping 3D? Also graphics similar to those of the Gen III console games but even more polished.

Years
  • That can mostly be attributed to XY having such a large Regional Dex with tons of variety. It was hard for even the generic trainers to have dupes, let alone the Gym Leaders. Compare this, to say, Morty's Gym, which used nothing but the Gastly line because there weren't any other Ghosts (although Misdreavus existed at the time), or Clair's Gym using nothing but the Dratini and Horsea lines because there weren't any other Dragons.

Outside of remakes, I hope the days of Regional Dexes of 150-200 are over. It would be a huge step backwards to go back to Gyms that all use the same one or two families with the Gym Leader having a team like "Middle Evo/Middle Evo/Middle Evo/Third Evo."

After B2W2, I think it's safe to say that those days are done. I wasn't expecting XY to have such a massive Pokédex as it is, but since the number of Pokémon present is only bound to go upward, they likely aren't going to have smaller amounts of Pokémon than such. Unless they pull a BW and use only new Pokémon again, which at this point might be hard to do.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Unless they pull a BW and use only new Pokémon again, which at this point might be hard to do.

As well as potentially controversial. Even though I'd still rate BW's Dex well above RBY/FRLG and DP's in terms of variety (it isn't utterly infested with Poison/Water/Normal), a lot of people hated not being able to use any older Pokémon and how many of the new ones were blatant expies/replacements for the older ones. I think B2W2 and XY's Dexes were partially done as a response to the controversy over BW's.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back