• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

VGPOTW #21: D-K, Donkey Kong Is Here!

Which game(s) is/are the best in the Donkey Kong franchise?

• Donkey Kong (Arcade; NES)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey Kong Jr. (NES)

• Donkey Kong 3 (NES)

• Donkey Kong Jr. Math (NES)

• Donkey Konga 1&2 (Gamecube)

• DK King of Swing (GBA)

• DK: Jungle Climber (Nintendo DS)

• Donkey Kong Barrel Blast (Wii)

• Total voters

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
  • tumblr_m2svbgPGIZ1qcoarbo1_400.gif

Welcome to Video Game's Poll of the Week! Thanks to the permission of Pokemon General's moderator Brendino, Video Games will now be hosting a weekly series that pits certain video game characters, levels, and universes against other to see which one will come out on top! In last week's Poll of the Week, we had a tie between the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3 as the dominant last generation consoles (figures there would be a tie.)
    Don't just vote; expand on your answers! Tell us why you prefer one video game element over another! Posts that don't elaborate as to why specific elements were chosen will be deleted, and a warning may be given out through an infraction if it's a reoccurring issue.
    If you have a matchup that you would like to see, whether between video game characters or worlds/universes, send me a VM or PM and if your matchup gets chosen then an emblem will be given out as a reward!

Without further ado:

Which game(s) is/are the best in the Donkey Kong franchise?
    Note: Some games were consolidated into one vote option to limit options.

Last edited:

pkmin3033

Diddy Kong Racing, because it was amazing. I enjoyed it more than I did Mario Kart, Crash Team Racing; anything. I'm not sure why, though...maybe because you could fly about in planes as well, and it was actually quite challenging. Plus the soundtrack was fantastic. I still find myself humming Everfrost Peak's theme every now and then.

I actually don't like Donkey Kong at all, so this was the only viable option for me. It's a damn good one, though.

Yukari

Uh... Matt, Donkey Kong is an Arcade Game. The NES Version is a port.

I'll admit I voted for the original Donkey Kong out of Nostalgia. But as for Donkey Kong Country and it's sequel, I really feel that those are some of the best SNES platformers out there. And nostalgia.

So... Yeah. Most of my votes are out of Nostalgia...

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • Uh... Matt, Donkey Kong is an Arcade Game. The NES Version is a port.

I'll admit I voted for the original Donkey Kong out of Nostalgia. But as for Donkey Kong Country and it's sequel, I really feel that those are some of the best SNES platformers out there. And nostalgia.

So... Yeah. Most of my votes are out of Nostalgia...

Yeah that sort of slipped my mind. I should have recognized that but all I was thinking of at the time was that NES version. Thanks for the help!

Years
  • Donkey Kong Country wins for me because the only other one I've played is the Donkey Kong Jr. port from Game and Watch Gallery 3 and I barely remember anything of it.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • Tropical Freeze has rapidly become my favorite game in the series. It's fantastically made and amazingly designed. Following that, DKR has a special place for me. So do all three DKC games on SNES. DK64 was an amazing game for me back in the N64 days.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • Oh gods there is so much I wanna say! The first Donkey Kong game that I've played and loved was Donkey Kong 64, and it has one of the BEST video game openings of all time (or at least for it's time), imo. That rap is so amazing, aaah, I had an eargasum when it played on Super Smash Bros. Melee! This game was a lot of fun, since you can play as a variety of characters! Loved playing as Diddy and Tiny Kong! Though again, it was one of those games that took me a long while to beat, since I didn't know where to go and stuff, but, once I got older, it became really easy. <33

Donkey Kong Country 2 is another personal favourite of mine, especially because of the music! I really like the Donkey Kong music from that game because the music 'fits' in each of their level. Sometimes you get really calm and peaceful levels where you get really tranquil music that compliments that, and all you want to do is just sit back, and listen, like what Forest Interlude provides.

Playing Tropical Freeze, I was really excited for the release, and holy crap is this a step up from DKCR in every way, which is already one of the best platformers of all time, imo! I just can't stress how amazing the level design in this one is, and there's never a dull moment. The game is paced beautifully. The boss fights were very fun in this one as well and cleverly designed! I honestly can't think of a single bad level. :3

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Unfortunately, I haven't been following the series much as of late, but am definitely a fan, and will continue to be for a long time.

Of them all, one of my most favorite titles from Donkey Kong would be Donkey Kong Country for GameBoy. When I'd first gotten my hands on it, I simply couldn't drop it down; I was very addicted. I've spent approximately six hours in total playing this game first day I had purchased it, if I remember right, which, I believe, is a lot!

Up next, is Diddy Kong Racing. I haven't had much chance to try Nintendo 64 version, sadly, but I did get around to playing DS one, which was pretty entertaining. I used to have matches against friends and cousins with the game, and it had managed to provide me an enjoyable moment each and every time. After this, is Donkey Kong 64, followed by Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze for Wii U.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    For DKC:
    Having not played DKC3, I'll just say DKC1 is the very definition of mediocrity (why is it winning...?), whereas I seriously can't choose between DKC2, Returns and Tropical Freeze.

DKC2 has variety in spades. Every level feels like its own thing and constantly throws new things at you. None of the gimmicks are overbearing and the platforming is always solid. Still has the best collectibles in the series, as well, and the most fun bonus stages.

Returns has some low lows but the highs are definitely highlights of the whole series. The Forest - Cliff - Factory world combo in Returns I think is the absolute peak of the whole series when it comes to the platforming. Absolutely strong stuff in those worlds.

Tropical Freeze is a full package. It's a very consistent game that doesn't drop in quality. Everything is organic and memorable and you really come to appreciate the amount of care that went into the game. It's a game that just flows perfectly.

Although I'll give a nod to Jungle Beat for being brilliant and unique in its design. It's practically a mix of a beat em up, a platformer and a rhythm game all in one, arcade package and I fucking love it. The most criminally underrated game in the series by FAR. King of Swing and Jungle Climber are great too! But haven't voted for them.

For arcade DK:
    Donkey Kong 94 is the best game of all time

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Donkey Kong '94, Donkey Kong Land, Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Donkey Kong 64, Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat, and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Those are the best of their respective subserieses - and then DK64 and DKJB are just there.

DK94 is a master class in puzzle-platforming. It is expertly designed and a lot of fun.

DKL is impressive. While it's sequels were port-ish version of their SNES counterparts (same level themes, in the same order, with the same music, but different level designs themselves), the original Land was a true sequel to DKC. New worlds to explore and techniques to use. It introduced rope climbing and pirate ship levels before DKC2 did.

On that note DKC2 is one of the best and most challenging (and yet oh so satisfying to beat) platformers. With an amazing soundtrack.

Jungle Beat is an underappreciated gem. Fast-paced platforming with a combo attack system. Keep moving and bouncing and jumping and bopping for maximum multiplayers. Turns the formula on its ear. Also it looked great. And it's a Tokyo EAD game, so what more can you ask for?

DK64... I just really like collect-a-thons, so yeah

Tropical Freeze, is a really well-balanced game. Does everything Returns did right just a little bit better

I don't consider Diddy Kong Racing as a Donkey Kong game, anymore than I would Luigi's Mansion, Wario Land, or Yoshi's Island as Super Mario games. But it is a really great game all the same.

Back