• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
  • Really? PC doesn't have an Olympics thread? :( Oh man, okay, let's rectify this.

So! The 21st Winter Olympics are upon us! We got off to a bit of a rough start after Georgian luger Nodar Kumaritashvili had a fatal accident while on a practise run this morning. But the Opening Ceremony is over and we're ready to get into the sports, which start tomorrow and continue until the 28th, I believe.

Is there anything anyone is looking forward to this year? What're the sports you're going to be keeping up with? Any thoughts on today's events (Nodar's death and the Opening Ceremony)?

Ayselipera

I'm really looking forward to the winter Olympics mostly for the figure skating. I can't look away once it's on. I'm sort of interested for luge and bobsledding too.

I didn't think the Opening Ceremony was as flashy and nice as Beijing's, but I can understand that Canada didn't have as much to prove as China did. Still I was a little dissapointed when the fourth pillar for the torch didn't rise seeing as that is the most important moment.

I think Nodar's death is really sad especially being just hours before the ceremony. I thought it was really touching though when the crowd stood up for his team mates and also when they dedicated the whole ceremony to him plus a minute moment of silence.

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    Personally, i'm not too interested in the olympics, i find most sports more boring too watch then they are to play, but thats just me. I may end up tuning into things like the ski jump and figure skating, albeit only because there's usually nothing better on the TV.

The death of Nodar Kumaritashvili is pretty tragic, you don't suppose it was foul play? (No, Blue Nocturne, thats how rumours start :P). I didn't see the opening ceremony, i might check it on the iPlayer later if i'm bored.

Years
  • I'll tune in for the figure skating and maybe a few other events. I wish I didn't have to listen to all the commentary though. They usually pick out one or two darlings they think will be the big winners and won't shut up about them while they ignore everyone else. It's even worse when they're right and someone sweeps all the events and you're left feeling like no one else had a chance.

So I'll watch more if there are surprises, less if there aren't.

reyzn

Years
  • I'm looking forward to the next two weeks, I live in Vancouver so I'm able to attend all the free concerts and events they have going on, ie: Deadmau5 on the 19! I'm also only interested in watching hockey.
    I was a little disappointed how they had 4 final torch bearers, since there was so much hype about the "mysterious final torch bearer". Other than that, it was a pretty good show, but definitely not as great as China's.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • Really? PC doesn't have an Olympics thread? :( Oh man, okay, let's rectify this.

ARGH. I was JUST about to make one. :'(

I like the summer Olympics way more, but I'm looking forward to this one as well. I hope USA picks up a few medals. We need them. :P

Sweet Candace

So Awesome! /)^ɛ^(\
    Years
  • I'll tune into to watch Men's hockey. Maybe we'll see an epic Crosby-Ovechkin match as their two countries (Canada and Russia respectively) fight for Olympic gold.

And you know how bad those Canadians want to win men's hockey gold...

Sarah Paliner

:: Zetsubou no Carnival ::
    Years
  • I'm going to be a shame to my country by not following this. Winter sports never really interested me, unfortunately. :/ I will be checking out the speedskating competition, however, to see how the Colbert sponsored team will do. 8D /mainstream media influence

Salvation

To be saved.
    Years
  • I'll tune into to watch Men's hockey. Maybe we'll see an epic Crosby-Ovechkin match as their two countries (Canada and Russia respectively) fight for Olympic gold.

And you know how bad those Canadians want to win men's hockey gold...

Experts say that Canada's Men's Hockey team will only get silver D=

Years
  • I am so proud of Canada, and I have been watching almost every second of the Olympics. Then, after the weekend ends, I will continue my life, and barely even watch it x3

Years
  • I have been watching the Olympics most of today. I plan on watching most events, especially curling. As I type this I was watching the 1500 meter Men's short track final.

Years
  • It's been hard not to pay attention when you're living in the host city! It was very exciting to see the Olympic torch in person... it just sends a chill down your spine. I thought that the opening ceremony was pretty good, although it was unfortunate that the fourth pillar didn't work during the lighting of the cauldron. I also didn't like the fact that they had Wayne Gretzky being transported half way across the city to the outdoor cauldron while hanging onto the roof of a truck. He nearly fell off once or twice, and security wasn't doing anything to stop people from running alongside the truck, so it was fortunate that some crazy protester didn't try to do anything to Wayne or the torch.

Today I caught a bit of the ski jumping, speed skating, biatholon and women's hockey. I'll probably end up tuning in mostly to men and women's hockey, freestyle skiing and snowboarding events, but I've enjoyed it all so far. I hope that Canada can perform well, and hopefully we'll get some of that gold soon! :D

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • I wanna see how many medals Australia has gotten. We need to add to our tally!

that and we can't have our most famous medal be because of an accident

Years
  • I saw the footage of that Georgian Luger's crash. They showed it during a repeat of the Opening Ceremonies. That dude hit that steel post HARD!! My Mom was shocked to see how violent that was and she said why didn't the guys there add some padding to those posts or at least put up some safety glass like the stuff they use in Hockey games?

Anyway, I'll be rooting for the U.S.A. to do well in the Games. Go, USA!!!!

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • I was just watching that ice skating race thing and 3 people from Korea were in the lead but then :O one of them tripped and took one of them in front down and they skided into the barrier {this will be a classic moment to remember}, but i'm routing for USA,United Kingdom(if they are init of course) and maybe if Jamacia is entering I'll route for them too.

falling up+
    Years
  • Nothing is impressive as the Chinese opening ceremony was last time around. This one being marred with the faulty mechanics at the torch lighting.

I didn't even know about Luger's crash. I pray for his family. :(

Watched skiing long jump this morning and some speed skating. Really just waiting for the snowboarding events and moguls.

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
  • I love, love, LOVE the Olympics. They basically take over my life for two weeks everytime they start. I remember getting myself up at 4am to watch the Beijing ones. Now that they're in my home country I'm just flipping out.

ARGH. I was JUST about to make one. :'(

I like the summer Olympics way more, but I'm looking forward to this one as well. I hope USA picks up a few medals. We need them. :P

Personally I find the Summer Olympics events boring compared to the mens ones. Not that they both don't have their exciting and boring events.

US needs more medals? I was pretty mad when the two Korean skaters tripped eachother, there's two more medals for the USA that they probably didn't deserve. And when Canada, US and Germany are favourited to battle it out for medal count that means alot.

I'll tune in for the figure skating and maybe a few other events. I wish I didn't have to listen to all the commentary though. They usually pick out one or two darlings they think will be the big winners and won't shut up about them while they ignore everyone else. It's even worse when they're right and someone sweeps all the events and you're left feeling like no one else had a chance.

So I'll watch more if there are surprises, less if there aren't.

Though I'm Canadian I'm currently on vacation in the States and I have to say the NBC coverage is kind of ruining it for me. Not only are american commentators inferiour (Get Gord Miller doing the Super Bowl and it would have been SO much more exciting) but one can only take so much Apolo Ono. Plus they delay EVERYTHING!!

The opening ceremonies started at 6pm Pacific but for some reason they didn't start showing the actual ceremoinies till 7pm. Then today despite the womans speed skating event taking place they showed each and every luge run. I understand them showing americans as I am in the USA but there is no american favourite in either of those events.

I was thinking the same thing.

I'm really looking forward to the winter Olympics mostly for the figure skating. I can't look away once it's on. I'm sort of interested for luge and bobsledding too.

I didn't think the Opening Ceremony was as flashy and nice as Beijing's, but I can understand that Canada didn't have as much to prove as China did. Still I was a little dissapointed when the fourth pillar for the torch didn't rise seeing as that is the most important moment.

I think Nodar's death is really sad especially being just hours before the ceremony. I thought it was really touching though when the crowd stood up for his team mates and also when they dedicated the whole ceremony to him plus a minute moment of silence.

Nodar's death was tragic but the reception for him has been really touching. RIP Nodar.

And to be fair the Chinese spent 300-400 million dollars on their Opening Ceremonies while the Vancouver won costed 30-40 million dollars. I don't think anyone will ever be able to top the Beijing, no one can afford to spend that kind of money.

Years
  • For Canadian members I bring you good tidings because your country has ended their drought of gold medals during home games by winning in Men's Moguls. Also the United States got its first medial in Nordic Combine.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Whoo, first gold for Canada today! I didn't actually get to see it because my mom decided some medical drama was more interesting and when we switched back to the Olympics it was riiight as they were announcing the Gold. XD; Oh well.

I'll be away skiing for most of the week but hopefully I'll be able to catch most of the hockey games. It's what I'm looking forward to the most. And possibly curling because for some reason I took a liking to it this (last?) year during the Canadian finals which is kind of lolwut because it's curling. ಠ_ಠ

Watching the figure skating now but I... find it ridiculously boring so I'm probably going to bed soon instead. xD;

Back