• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Angel Beats!

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    Since there are other thread of the new season, why not throw this one in.

Angel Beats! is an anime written by Maeda Jun(Known for Key's Air and Clannad). The setting is an afterlife school, where (some) people go after they die in the living world. People in this world cannot die, but the pain that death causes still happens. In addition, people can be "erased" by the angel [named Tenshi for obvious reasons]. The series focuses around Otonashi, who has just awoken in this world with no memories of his living life. He is soon recruited into a group that actively opposes Tenshi and try to prevent themselves from being "erased."

Anywho discuss.

Also, TK is the best character ever

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
    3 eps are out and pretty much right off the bat it went to the top of my "I want the next ep!" list. And I'm currently watching 4 series that's airing right now (one of them being K-ON!! and I loved the first one).

AB is different, and funny, has some action, Yuri reminds me of Haruhi, and AB has some really good music to it.

And as for characters... I like T.K. and I also like Hinata (well, I think all of them are good, but ATM they're at the top of my list). We'll see how the series goes.

Years
    Will post my thoughts again for the +1.

I hope that the series will not continue to go with the "character of the week" model of storytelling that it seems to be using now. I can't get attached with characters in just a span of 10 minutes. Take Iwasawa: she was a character with plenty of potential, but she was wasted and went away in just a single episode. And the gory slapstick in the beginning of the show really turned me off.

Complaints aside, there are many aspects of Angel Beats! that please me. Most obviously is the music. The OST sounds neat, and both the OP and ED are both awesome (anyone else thinks that the ED animation would go really well with Baccano's ED music?). Hinata has some GAR potential and every line with T.K. is euphoric.

Also, TK is the best character ever
    C'MON LET'S DANCE!

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I wasn't reeeeally a fan of it after the first episode, and the second episode was interesting but I was still on the fence. :> But I feel obliged to watch it for sure now that there's been death by Pi in it. Or close enough to it, anyway.

But I don't love it as much as I feel I should. Everyone I know who's watching it really, really likes it and for me, it's just sort of... another thing on my list to watch. I'll keep up with it this season, for sure, but it's not an anime I think about much longer after I see an episode. It's not high on the list but it is entertaining.

J

good morning
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2016
    So far the best things (imo) in this series are TK, the OP/ED, the TK, the insert songs, and Tenshi.
    's far as I can tell, the main reason why it's getting so much hype is 'cause Maeda's writing the script for all the episodes.

Well, the comedy's really solid, the concept is kinda interesting, and there's TK. Sure wish they'd polish up the animation though.

(btw has anyone else noticed that yui looks an awful lot like yuri's sister in the ep02 flashback)

C'MON LET'S DANCE!

DON'T STOP DANCING

Eucliffe

☆ E N T E R T A I N E R
    Years
    At first I wasn't interested in the series until it got its own thread, so that's when I decided to check it out.

So far, I'm loving the series <3 I also love some of the references put into it (like the Laputa/Howl's Moving Castle ones in episode 3), and the characters are a riot. Anyone who dislikes TK can go crawl into a hole and die. Anyone who dislikes Iwasawa, Hinata, and Yui can go blow their brains out.

The first episode, I have to admit, wasn't really too great, but after that it's a lot better. I feel sorry for the people who look at the first couple of minutes of the first episode (especially because you suddenly see Yuri with a gun and all) and say "Ew, this is lame. Not gonna continue watching this series."

The pasts of the characters are also really sad, Yuri's especially. And then the disappearance of Iwasawa... D:

/am I the only one who doesn't like Tenshi as much?

//that may change, who knows?

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Aug 29, 2017
    It's been on my 'Plan to watch' list for a bit, but a few series' are ahead of it, so if I watch it, it won't be for a while D:

J

good morning
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2016
    For those who haven't seen it yet, here's a character popularity poll for Angel Beats! The only important numbers are Tenshi in orange and T.K. in purple. They take up...almost all of the votes. Crazy Baby.

Just wild heaven.

wait, what? what other characters?

Eucliffe

☆ E N T E R T A I N E R
    Years
    I feel sorry for all the other characters D:

Freakin' Crazy. /because I don't think they'd like me using the actual word

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    Crow Song (along with Alchemy and My Song) are at #3 on the daily Oricon rankings right now, awesomeness right there

J

good morning
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2016
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

T3h Kaiser

Jovial Fool
    Years
    I hate to seem like I'm trollin', but...

Angel Beats, honestly, is probably the most flagrant poster child of what is wrong with the anime industry right now. I really don't think they could be pandering anime fans anymore than they already are. School time fun, girl bands, knee socks, Haruhi-archtype, school clubs (named SSS, for God's sake! SOS, SSS?!), convoluted plot that amounts to nothing... it's shows like this that make the anime industry go in circles as it does. All Maeda Jun has done is made a Frankenstein plot piecemealing every anime stereotype and plot device of the last ten years and dressed it up with pretty art; add a breakout character like TK and you get an instant fanbase.

It does not deserve the support it receives. It is as derivative and shallow as they come.

AB is different, and funny, has some action, Yuri reminds me of Haruhi, and AB has some really good music to it.

>__________________>;;

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
    Crow Song (along with Alchemy and My Song) are at #3 on the daily Oricon rankings right now, awesomeness right there
    Eh? Frankly, I wasn't impressed by those two songs, the lyrics were like.. 'What?', I heard Maeda Jun wrote this, so yeah... He's no ryo.

For the latest episode:
    RC said that Angel Beats will be dropping the emotional bomb at the end of the series, I kinda doubt it since the previous episodes was like, "What the hell?!" but now... ... Tenshi..

Years
    Spoiler:
    Mind thoroughly blown.
    Angel Beats, honestly, is probably the most flagrant poster child of what is wrong with the anime industry right now. I really don't think they could be pandering anime fans anymore than they already are. School time fun, girl bands, knee socks, Haruhi-archtype, school clubs (named SSS, for God's sake! SOS, SSS?!), convoluted plot that amounts to nothing... it's shows like this that make the anime industry go in circles as it does. All Maeda Jun has done is made a Frankenstein plot piecemealing every anime stereotype and plot device of the last ten years and dressed it up with pretty art; add a breakout character like TK and you get an instant fanbase.
    It does not deserve the support it receives. It is as derivative and shallow as they come.
    It might not be the most original thing on the market, but I think it's unfair to pin down Angel Beats! as being the most pandering show out there. The no-name ecchi harems that keeps pumping out from the market and boring shounen action shows are much, much more generic than Angel Beats! will ever be. At least it has some redeemable qualities like decent animation, a plot, and good BGM. But that's my opinion and your opinion is yours. I don't actually see a lot of fanboys running around saying it's the best thing in the world, actually. Most of the reactions I've seen so far composed of people saying things along the lines of "Maeda's old works are better."
    Eh? Frankly, I wasn't impressed by those two songs, the lyrics were like.. 'What?', I heard Maeda Jun wrote this, so yeah... He's no ryo.

For the latest episode:
    RC said that Angel Beats will be dropping the emotional bomb at the end of the series, I kinda doubt it since the previous episodes was like, "What the hell?!" but now... ... Tenshi..
    The fanartists work fast. Yuri, you big bully!

T3h Kaiser

Jovial Fool
    Years
    It might not be the most original thing on the market, but I think it's unfair to pin down Angel Beats! as being the most pandering show out there.

You cannot tell me Angel Beats wasn't directly influenced by Haruhi. What is that, if not pandering?

The no-name ecchi harems that keeps pumping out from the market and boring shounen action shows are much, much more generic than Angel Beats! will ever be.

The problem with harem and shounen anime is that they aren't unique, yes? Explain to me how Angel Beats is unique.

At least it has some redeemable qualities like decent animation,

Why is "decent" acceptable? And is it really decent? The character designs are appealing, yes, but how much do you know about animation? Anime is very cheaply produced; frankly, there is a very large disconnect between shows like Angel Beats and FLCL in terms of quality... and yes, I'm aware FLCL is an OVA but that's a moot point.

I sometimes wonder if anime fans even stop to realize how convoluted the shows they love really are. It helps to read "simpler" stuff like Greek plays and whatnot. Angel Beats is so needlessly over-the-top... just what does the whole afterlife / angel / god angle do for the story? Where is the meaning? It's like Final Fantasy XIII; a bunch of words with no meaning. Just story for the sake of it. =/

But that's my opinion and your opinion is yours.

You know, I was okay with this actually. But then I realized how few people question the quality of the stuff they're fed. I'm not trying to attack anybody, I just think... I dunno, people accept mediocrity too much because it's familiar to them. I use to hate on people who played World War II shooters all the time, right? But... how is anime any better half the time? People just ask for the same thing over and over, and we get shows like Angel Beats or Umineko no Naku Koro ni.

But I guess you're right, you have a right to your opinion. I don't disrespect anyone for liking Angel Beats. I'm just tired and should probably take a nap, I dunno.

Most of the reactions I've seen so far composed of people saying things along the lines of "Maeda's old works are better."

Fear not, that's not my motivation... certainly not. Clannad was garbage.

Last edited:

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
    I sometimes wonder if anime fans even stop to realize how convoluted the shows they love really are. It helps to read "simpler" stuff like Greek plays and whatnot. Angel Beats is so needlessly over-the-top... just what does the whole afterlife / angel / god angle do for the story? Where is the meaning? It's like Final Fantasy XIII; a bunch of words with no meaning. Just story for the sake of it. =/
    Hohoho. I was actually thinking what was the story of this anime. Because seriously, Music + Slice of Life + Fighting = Random.

Anyways, I don't get why people hated this anime when we're barely up to 5 episodes. People hated Umineko when the anime ended, although the seeds started planting early in the season, so yeah. I think you were just being judgmental. Frankly, I can't say this is one of the best animes in the Spring season (I think B-gata H-kei is more entertaining) but definitely not the worst.

Years
    You cannot tell me Angel Beats wasn't directly influenced by Haruhi. What is that, if not pandering?
    The problem with harem and shounen anime is that they aren't unique, yes? Explain to me how Angel Beats is unique.[
    Angel Beats wasn't directly influenced by Haruhi. Trollish speak aside, yes, there are many parallels between the show, but intentional or not is not one for me to judge. I didn't make either of those shows. But so what if something has influences from something else? It's the execution that's the matter. There's hardly anything out there hasn't been done before in some way or form. Like the central theme in almost every work nowadays; it almost always come down to: be a good guy. Not every optimistic story with that theme has to be bad, necessarily, don't you agree?
    My point wasn't to push that Angel Beats! is an absolute unique story, but rather that it isn't to the same degree generic as the other shows. As for its own appeals, the characters were entertaining and their backstories are at the very least well thought out and not shallow.
    Why is "decent" acceptable? And is it really decent? The character designs are appealing, yes, but how much do you know about animation? Anime is very cheaply produced; frankly, there is a very large disconnect between shows like Angel Beats and FLCL in terms of quality... and yes, I'm aware FLCL is an OVA but that's a moot point.
    Whether an anime's animation is acceptable or not is vastly subjective. I don't know a lot about animation; however, I've watched enough anime/cartoons/other animated works in my lifetime to judge for myself whether the animation looks fluid or below par. And compared to the vast majority of anime this season, and in the past in general, I'd say Angel Beats does a pretty good job.
    What does it do for the story and overall meaning? Nothing, and it doesn't have to. Angel Beats doesn't go out of its way to be The Tempest of the 21st century, nor should anyone think of it as such. It's to entertain and for the viewers to have a good time watching it.
    You know, I was okay with this actually. But then I realized how few people question the quality of the stuff they're fed. I'm not trying to attack anybody, I just think... I dunno, people accept mediocrity too much because it's familiar to them. I use to hate on people who played World War II shooters all the time, right? But... how is anime any better half the time? People just ask for the same thing over and over, and we get shows like Angel Beats or Umineko no Naku Koro ni.
    I don't mind people accept mediocrity so long as they don't resent actual quality. But then again, that's also highly subjective what is quality, cultured, and what's not. There's a simple solution if you don't like those shows, and you've heard this a million times before: don't waste your time with them. There are more than enough great things for you to discover in this world so that you don't have to dwell on lamenting over things that don't exactly fit your bill. I take my own advice on this usually; I don't stick around on something I know I won't like. I guess that makes me less of a critic, but at least I'm having fun.
    But I guess you're right, you have a right to your opinion. I don't disrespect anyone for liking Angel Beats. I'm just tired and should probably take a nap, I dunno.
    Rest well, my friend. You deserve it.
    Fear not, that's not my motivation... certainly not. Clannad was garbage.
    But not before you and I have a fist fight!

J

good morning
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2016
    if I may--
    Angel Beats!

cough cough

Well, to be honest, T3h Kaiser has a point regarding the alarming lack of originality in animestuffs nowadays (as seen in several shounen jump titles, romance comedy light novels, etc). But in their defense, there really isn't much space for innovation. Simply put, most of the cool ideas have been thought of already.
    To quote Yamakan:
    "What we percieve as originality is simply very deft plagiarism."

no, it's not an excuse for being lazy with your character designs and storylines, but what can one do? Either invent something never-before-thought-of/bizarre and risk alienating one's audience (e.g. FLCL, which was both loved and hated by those who've watched it) , or sacrifice originality, recycling old concepts and things for something more approachable, and get slammed by critics all over the place.

anyways, digi-kun won't be really happy with this thread turning into a debate about the current state of the anime industry or whatever (and I'm kinda-sorta beating a dead horse here) so,

https://i42.tinypic.com/2mzy3iq.jpg

DISCUSS

Back