• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Angel Beats!

T3h Kaiser

Jovial Fool
    Years
    But in their defense, there really isn't much space for innovation. Simply put, most of the cool ideas have been thought of already.
    To quote Yamakan:
    "What we percieve as originality is simply very deft plagiarism."

no, it's not an excuse for being lazy with your character designs and storylines, but what can one do? Either invent something never-before-thought-of/bizarre and risk alienating one's audience (e.g. FLCL, which was both loved and hated by those who've watched it) , or sacrifice originality, recycling old concepts and things for something more approachable, and get slammed by critics all over the place.

Well, I think that's part of the problem. There seems to be a constant need to either pander ones' audience, or innovate in all the wrong ways. For example, the whole afterlife school concept... what? What does that even mean? It is a new concept simply for the sake of it. Is it originality? Sure, in a shallow sort of way. But does it make sense? Does it relate to whatever meaning the show is trying to have? No, probably not.

I think because television is constantly airing, the same ideas will be reused over and over. This is a problem for people who do nothing but watch anime. The same is true for the video game industry and people who do nothing but play video games. And for people who think books are immune to this problem, they need only look to the romance section of your local bookstore... just reading books is a problem too. Storytelling would be much improved if more people of each respective medium would read more books, watch more TV, play more video games, etc. Cross-contaminate. As it is, however...

J. Jonathan Brett said:
    For the purposes of illustration, compare this creative process with that which goes into the creation of the vast majority of manga. Contrary to what many Internet-savvy manga fans (who may or may not be Internet Jerks) will tell you, the vast majority of manga are pretty crummy. This is because the vast majority of manga are written by people who have read a lot of manga, really like manga, and decide that they, too, would like to make manga. They realize that if they're going to make manga, it has to have some sort of "story", and "characters" to populate the story. These people are quite literally writing to fill pages.

If you're in the mood for contemplation, consider how this issue is evident to varying degrees in every medium.
    -Sauce

Consider the amount of people who do nothing but watch anime. This is the only source of storytelling these people have. It is a very bad thing that contributes to a much larger problem.

anyways, digi-kun won't be really happy with this thread turning into a debate about the current state of the anime industry or whatever

I am sorry for derailing the thread, carry on. I love me some digi-kun, don't want to offend.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
    I hate to seem like I'm trollin', but...

Angel Beats, honestly, is probably the most flagrant poster child of what is wrong with the anime industry right now. I really don't think they could be pandering anime fans anymore than they already are. School time fun, girl bands, knee socks, Haruhi-archtype, school clubs (named SSS, for God's sake! SOS, SSS?!), convoluted plot that amounts to nothing... it's shows like this that make the anime industry go in circles as it does. All Maeda Jun has done is made a Frankenstein plot piecemealing every anime stereotype and plot device of the last ten years and dressed it up with pretty art; add a breakout character like TK and you get an instant fanbase.

It does not deserve the support it receives. It is as derivative and shallow as they come.

AB is different, and funny, has some action, Yuri reminds me of Haruhi, and AB has some really good music to it.

>__________________>;;
    Who said you can't have things the same and yet be called different? Take Final Fantasy XIII for example... setting aside it has a different story, setting aside it has different characters, a new battle system, and so on. But we can't call it different because it takes from other games? The main character is based off of Cloud from VII, or the leveling system looks like that of FFX. Yea, it might have taken from here and there, but the game is still good, and the game is still different. Just because it takes a few things doesn't make it any less of a good game.

I personally think if you get so wrapped up in what an anime took from this or that then I don't see any fun in watching an anime. Yea, there's lots of Haruhi in it, and I wish they didn't use so much Haruhi just so people would quit using it as a base for Angel Beats.
    And if you're looking and wanting something totally different then good luck, chances are when you find an anime like that you're not going to like it.

Anyway. I watched episode 5 last night, as far as I know it's the only episode I've watched twice in a row back to back (as in like 5 minutes apart).
    Spoiler:

Angel Beats is slowly working it's way up my fav anime list. I can't make a final judgment until the series is over (just like how I can't rate it until it's over), but I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up on my top 5 list. So far it's at the top of my list for this season (and I've got one or two other big names on my list too).

Wow...... that's pretty shocking. I hope it's not just some coincidence, I hope there's something to it.

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
    I'm just at the point with anime that it doesn't have to be particularly original for me to watch it these days. Sure, plot ideas and characters repeat themselves, but what can you do? Something original can only happen once, and if we were to only get completely unique anime every season, we'd probably end up with only two series tops. That said, I don't mind harem and comedy series reusing character types and such since I'm watching for lulz, not the plot. When it comes to more serious series, and stuff like mecha, I tend to take originality into more serious consideration.

That said, Angel Beats! has some unique concepts, which is good enough for me. If they don't ultimately make much sense, I don't really care. For me to enjoy an anime, it doesn't have to make completely sense. If you're too over-analytical about fictional plots, you'll always find a flaw in EVERYTHING. Anime is made for entertainment purposes, so as long as it's actually entertaining, plot holes and such can be excused.

Anyways, I'm unfortunately behind this week since I went away last night, but I hope to watch it (and Durarara!! - gdi I want to watch that more) tomorrow and then I can actually comment. Though I can say:

YUI IS THE AWESOMEST

T3h Kaiser

Jovial Fool
    Years
    I'm just at the point with anime that it doesn't have to be particularly original for me to watch it these days. Sure, plot ideas and characters repeat themselves, but what can you do?

Watch something else? Read a book? Play a game?

It seems to me that there are "anime people" who would rather watch shallow anime because it's anime, rather than experience good storytelling in, say... a book. Or a game. Or an American show.

That's not to say that all anime people exclusively watch anime, but I just get the feeling that alot of anime is watched for the sake of watching anime. Do you really think that many people would watch Lucky Star if it were just another show on American television? >_>

If you're too over-analytical about fictional plots, you'll always find a flaw in EVERYTHING.

Only if it tries too hard. =/

The Dragon Quest series ranks among my favorite video games of all time, because each game deals with a simple theme. Unlike Final Fantasy, they don't do thousands of damage per hit and fly to the moon and enter alternate dimensions. Unlike Final Fantasy, each installment doesn't try and outdo the last.

I would personally like it if more anime followed the Dragon Quest method. Instead of talking about angels and the afterlife and secret societies and synchronized dance routines and mecha and whatever... maybe they should just try and have meaning.

Anime is made for entertainment purposes, so as long as it's actually entertaining, plot holes and such can be excused.

I agree that there is a place for this sort of thing, yeah. Nothing wrong with a bit of camp.

But consider how many decades television has been passed off as just entertainment. Why can't it be great art? Why can't we get some meaning out of it? People have passed off television as "just entertainment" and now we have reality television and shounen anime.

Bleh, I'm probably not making any friends, I should quit while I'm... ahead? Yeah, carry on friends, Angel Beat to your <3's content.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    Watch something else? Read a book? Play a game?

I watch Anime, I watch TV, I play video games, I play board games, I play card games, I watch movies, I read manga, I read books, what more do you want from me? ><

"I want people to enjoy the show as just an anime in the first half. In the second half, though, it'll become something more akin to the Key games I worked on" -Maeda Jun
    Source is the Angel Beats! Special where when they're interviewing Maeda Jun

also, this

Last edited:

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    It's only been a few episodes but my opinion hasn't really changed. I thought the latest episode (with the exams) was hilarious and I loved it, but this anime isn't really breaking down walls or anything for me. It's just another thing on my weekly to-do list. I'm keeping up with it because so many of my friends are and it's something to talk about/common ground, and also because it's not not entertaining, but it's not high up there on my favourites list. It's just... average for me. :/ I like some of the characters, I like some of the episodes, and I love the OP, but otherwise it's just another anime on my list. @_@ I don't feel the hype yet.

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
    I watch Anime, I watch TV, I play video games, I play board games, I play card games, I watch movies, I read manga, I read books, what more do you want from me? ><

"I want people to enjoy the show as just an anime in the first half. In the second half, though, it'll become something more akin to the Key games I worked on" -Maeda Jun
    Source is the Angel Beats! Special where when they're interviewing Maeda Jun

also, this

Lol, Thousand Enemies is my favorite song so far.The previous song didn't really appeal to me, and I can forget the tune of the OP 4 seconds after I hear it.

It's fun to watch Eri Kitamura's girlish voice turn mature. Kinda like Aya Hirano with Super Driver. ha.

Oh, crap. Highest life is also good.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    Lol, Thousand Enemies is my favorite song so far.The previous song didn't really appeal to me, and I can forget the tune of the OP 4 seconds after I hear it.

It's fun to watch Eri Kitamura's girlish voice turn mature. Kinda like Aya Hirano with Super Driver. ha.

Oh, crap. Highest life is also good.

You mean when LiSA takes over Yui's voice for when she's singing? I was a bit disappointed on the synchronization of the voices for Yui, compared to Iwasawa where I almost couldn't tell the difference between marina and Miyuki Sawashiro

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
    You mean when LiSA takes over Yui's voice for when she's singing? I was a bit disappointed on the synchronization of the voices for Yui, compared to Iwasawa where I almost couldn't tell the difference between marina and Miyuki Sawashiro

Regardless, I find it a believable change. I know people who sing irl and their singing voices are COMPLETELY different from their speaking ones.

I get the feeling Tachibana is going to have the sadest and most tragic story of all, which depresses me more than the last episode did. I didn't like Yuri much at all before, but now she's on my hate list. Here's hoping Otonashi slaps her or something. Still, I'm hoping that like with the majority of Key's works, there's ultimately a happy ending. I say majority because the TV version of AIR had a very meh ending. XD

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    Regardless, I find it a believable change. I know people who sing irl and their singing voices are COMPLETELY different from their speaking ones.

I get the feeling Tachibana is going to have the saddest and most tragic story of all, which depresses me more than the last episode did. I didn't like Yuri much at all before, but now she's on my hate list. Here's hoping Otonashi slaps her or something. Still, I'm hoping that like with the majority of Key's works, there's ultimately a happy ending. I say majority because the TV version of AIR had a very meh ending. XD

Just glad that they really didn't turn into an idol unit ^^;;
    Also enjoying Highest Life. Reminds me of some of the slower stuff that B'z has

Next is gonna be a fun time, with Naoi, light mahjong, and probably another revealing of past (Naoi's maybe?), and rain. lots and lots of rain, rain scenes tend to be depressing :(

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    My computer's broken, so I didn't get a chance to watch eps 5 and 6 until now, but holy crap. Absolutely great stuff, can't wait for 7. This is definitely my series to watch for this season; nothing else has even come close. Only thing I can say is ep6 ended kind of abruptly, we'll have to see how things continue in ep7.

Spoiler:

J

good morning
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2016
    Spoiler:

also,
    Spoiler:
    what.

not as in "MIND BLOWN" what, but "wtf u thinkin bro???" what

twocows

Years
    Spoiler:

also,

what.

not as in "MIND BLOWN" what, but "wtf u thinkin bro???" what

Don't pay me much mind, I'm terrible at predicting plot. But really, after what Naoi said, would it really be surprising if something along those lines happened?

T3h Kaiser said:
    Guys, stop having fun!
    If you don't like it, don't watch it. Not everybody watches anime to find some deep meaning; in fact, most people don't. Depth can be important, but the primary goal of entertainment should always be to entertain; as long as it does this well, it has succeeded. Seeing as how I and most of the other people in this thread have been sufficiently entertained thus far, I fail to see how it is "all that is wrong with the anime industry." Is Super Mario Bros. all that is wrong with the video game industry? Should we only play games like Ico? That's just absurd.

Last edited:
    Years
    As soon as I read "Jun Maeda" and "Key" I just had to try this out, so I've watched the first 3 episodes so far. I like it! : D TK is definetely awesome. XD

T3h Kaiser

Jovial Fool
    Years
    Not everybody watches anime to find some deep meaning; in fact, most people don't.

That's my problem.

Depth can be important, but the primary goal of entertainment should always be to entertain;

Why can't it be both?

Is Super Mario Bros. all that is wrong with the video game industry? Should we only play games like Ico? That's just absurd.

Do me a favor and watch this. I'll stop posting here, I just want you to watch this. Particularly at around four minutes in, he speaks better for me than I ever could.

It's probably not what you think.

Spoiler alert: he says a few bad words.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    If you don't like it, don't watch it.

i believe that was the point of that paragraph he wrote, not the rest of it o.o Go watch the ONE OVA if you really want something where everything is symbolic to the story :/ Also, why Angel Beats? K-On!! season 2 also got a thread this season here o.o

Getting back on topic and AWAY from the "this is the plague that's killing the industry" conversation on the side.............../glare

Harmonics Tenshi makes her appearance! Exponential multiplication of Tenshis begin now! The pace seems to be picking up around now, so this might be the beginning of that "second Key-ish half" Maeda was talking about

twocows

Years
    Private message convo.

Harmonics Tenshi makes her appearance! Exponential multiplication of Tenshis begin now! The pace seems to be picking up around now, so this might be the beginning of that "second Key-ish half" Maeda was talking about
    I'm worried about where this might go, but we'll see.

Last edited:

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
    Private message convo.

I'm worried about where this might go, but we'll see.
    Yeah, me too. I thought Tenshi's 'arc' was finished, then goes Tenshi double. If they want a cliff hanger, it isn't working for me. Only 4 or 5 episodes to go.

and I just realized Yuri's seiyuu voices a lot of hentai animes. lol.

Back