• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Any friends at school who are interested in Pokemon?

Have any friends at school who like Pokemon ?

• Yes

Votes: 51 47.2%
  • No </3

Votes: 36 33.3%
  • I Do - but they don't like to talk about it at school

Votes: 21 19.4%

• Total voters

8th Wonder™

റിപ്പബ്ല? ??ക്ക്
    Years
    To me, Pokemon is a franchise for all ages. I even know a 26 year old who likes it!
    I do have friends at school that like Pokemon. There was even a craze soon spread around the school on Pokemon cards! Unfortunately I didn't obtain the legendary Charizard delta...

LugiaFreak

Years
    Pokemon is Awesome <3

Most of my friends at school say they like Pokemon, but they really don't. :\ They just say so because they know I am a PokeFreak. :cool: My friends already knew I liked Pokemon, from back in about 4th grade, but most of them now think of themselves as being 'too old' so they don't bring it up anymore.

I never thought that I would find anyone else besides me that liked Pokemon in school, so I didn't bring it up usually. A few weeks ago, though, someone was talking to me about something when they mentioned Mew and Mewtwo...

Them: Blah, blah blah. (I'm not paying attention. ;))
    Me: Mmm-hmm.
    Them: Blah blah Mew and Mewtwo.
    *I look up at them*
    Them: I bet you have no idea what those are, do you?
    *I burst out laughing*

...and it went on from there. I was so surprised to find someone else that likes Pokemon. We were best friends in about a week.

Pokemon is awesome. <3

Last edited:

Katnip

Harajuku Lover
    Years
    There are probably lots of kids at my school who love Pokemon, but they just don't want to really say it out loud. Like, I just met a girl who loves to draw (like me), who's doing the Honors classes (like me), and plays the Pokemon video games (like me). But when I tried discussing it out loud, she shushed me a little because she didn't want anyone else to hear. Before that, another girl had worn a Gen III T-shirt to school. And even before that, I drew a Bidoof head in a girl's notebook, which she recognized. We're friends now.

Weirdly enough, all the library boys are into Yu-Gi-Oh. They bring the cards to school, look at them in class, and hold tournaments in the mornings. I would try to make friends with them, but I'm not into Yu-Gi-Oh at all. It's always been Pokemon for me.

whale

A bullet of integrity
    Years
    Are you guys really teased at school for liking pokemon?
    My friends and I used to play it all the time during class and lunch,
    and most people just thought it was cute. :/

Archeopterix

Cooltrainer
    Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2014
    I don't go to school currently, but I'm sure there will be some individuals who share an interest in pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Oct 27, 2010
    In middle school, some of my male friends liked Pokemon. :/ Actually, I wouldn't have discovered VBA if it hadn't been for seeing them on our school laptops.
    My female friends would either gush over Pikachu or call it 'nerd talk'.
    In High School I've yet to find any friends who are active fans. Everyone just either talks about soap operas or sports; neither of which I like. xD;; Bleeeh.

Years
    I know a couple of people who like Pokémon at my school; all of them friends.
    I honestly cannot understand why one would be mocked for liking it.
    People think that just because everyone played it as a child, it is a children's game. The same can be said for football, though— or any sport for that matter. "Professional sports are just a bunch of immature adults who can't let go of their pastime entertainment." Just like those of us who have played Pokémon since 2nd grade, and continue to play it now.
    So with that, I will openly play the game if I get the chance in class. For example, just today we had a substitute in my Calculus class, and we were supposed to tutor lower-level math kids today. Nobody showed up to be tutored, so we had to pass the time somehow. I whipped out my DS and to my surprise, I actually had a crowd surrounding me watching me hatch Careful Grimers. :p

...And that's where the lame pep talk ends. Lol. <_<

Zurich

Optimus Prime
    Years
    In my school people just laugh at you if you like something different .
    I preffer to keep my interest in secret to avoid that.

For example:
    Someone: I like watching pokemon
    Others: haha what a jerk!
    Others: Hey look! this guy watches pokemon!
    Others: hahahahaha.

They are very cruel at my school, and they are always looking an excuse to bother you.
    This obviously gives the school a bad reputation.

Last edited:
    Years
    @Zurich: If those are your 'friends' saying that, then I would get new friends. If they're not, then why do you care what they say? Grade school is just a popularity contest that ends the day you graduate. In the end, you're no worse than them for playing Pokémon, so it doesn't/shouldn't matter what they say.

Zurich

Optimus Prime
    Years
    I just gave an example, it didnt happened to me, but i want to keep it as a secret.
    But it happened to other people and i dont want to see my self going through the same thing.

Shedinjareese

Undercover Rocket
    Years
    Eh no. Last year in High School it was almost retro--People would wear faded Pokemon Ts sometimes, say "Ohhh I LOVE Pokee-mon!" but not really love it, just are happy for that second whilst remembering the fad.

It's a little awkward by being in a new school this year...whenever I casually mention I'm a fan, as it's almost like a part of my personality, it seems to heighten this perception of strangeness, outsiderness. Not that I mind being weird, it just doesn't gather friends very fast heheh....

I can discuss it with people related to me though, sometimes, and that's nice.

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    Pokemon is not 'cool' at all, so mentioning at school, is almost an instant shunning from society ...

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
    Not even the "nerds" at my school dare talk about Pokemon when others are in hearing range. The only people I know of that secretly still play Pokemon are me and my friend, bu tI know of no one who still watches the anime or plays the TCG.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Yeah.. all of my friends who like Pokemon, as well as myself, are all pretty open and/or vocal about it. We don't really keep it from people, or at least not from the people who are curious enough to get to know us that well, or ask what game we're playing. It's obvious that a couple of us like it though, since I have a couple of Pikachu shirts, Pokemon manga, and other things. Plus if we have class together we talk about it sometimes, and people over hear.

Absol Perfect Distaster

Lethal Razor Wind!
    Years
    Some of my freinds say that they used to like pokemon or still do but never talk about it. In most cases though, people around me think that pokemon is gay. I hate those people because they think people that like pokemon are stupid.

Back