• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Are you a boy or are you a girl?

Lunalie

Years
  • Knowing customization was here and I didn't completely despise the look of one of the characters (Or absolutely love), I flipped a coin.
    Ended up as a dude.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I've only played as girls since Crystal came out and it became an option. So, obviously I picked a girl! I was expecting more hairstyles available when the game announced the feature to customize trainers, and was a little disappointed but I'm still appreciative. Maybe we'll get more in Z Version...? ;)

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
  • I own both X and Y versions, so I went with female in X and male in Y.

Two reasons. First is X has a more whimsical tune playing on the 3DS home screen and Y has a bolder, deeper tune.

Second is because of XX (female) and XY (male) chromosomes. Yes, I put thought into this.

Years
  • I tend to play as the male character in Pokémon games even though I nowadays often play as a female in many other games. I guess it could be either for consistency or that I really want to relate to the protagonist in Pokémon games xD.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I always play as the male on my main file. On opposite versions, I'll sometimes play as the female. The dialogue changes up a little so it's refreshing and I like some of their designs. In XY's case, the female has more customization.

Last edited:

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • I played as female in Y, as I always do. I might play as a guy if I end up getting X, just to change things up, but in general I tend to prefer playing as my real-life gender for my main playthroughs--especially in X/Y, since with the character customizations I can actually make the main character somewhat resemble me :)

Years
  • I played as Calem in Pokémon X because I'm a male. :P However, like many others, I chose to play as Serena in Y. It's been a habit of mine to always pick the male character as my main file because it just seems right, haha.

Years
  • I played as the male protagonist in Pokemon X because it's easier for me to identify myself with a male character. But in my OWN OPINION, Serena-users get more respect and attention than Calem-users. {:3}

SickLollipop

~*Chasing the Shiny*~
    Years
  • I was a girl, because I AM a girl! Having that option has always been a refreshing break from most video games, because the game becomes much more personal when you can truly identify as your avatar. The various options and outfits made it possible for me to really feel as if I were part of the world of Kalos; especially the pigtails. I never go anywhere without pigtails, a skirt, and OTK socks, so I was psyched that my little trainer could do the same.

DragonThale

DorkusDragon
    Years
  • I loved the fact that you get to choose character and even change the appearence during the game.

I chose girl ofcourse! n_n

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2016
    When I was a young child, I would be pretty annoyed at having to play boys in my video games. Spyro, Crash & Pokemon. I still remember how happy I was when my oldest brother bought me Crystal for Christmas (I didn't have Gold or Silver,) and how my eyes lit up when the game asked: "Are you a boy, or are you a girl?"
    Then I restarted my game as a boy because I thought that the avatar of Kris holding the Pokeball when you engage in battle looked really, really creepy. Hahah. I believe I eventually got over it and played as a girl on my second run.
    But in all other Pokemon games, I've been the girl on my first playthrough, because I like to project that it is me.
    I feel sorry for anyone who played a boy on X/Y and was excited for customization though. they got only 4 hairstyles.

Years
  • I always pick the female character, I really liked having the customisation options and mixing and matching outfits, although I wish there hard been a darker red hair colour, cause I've always really wanted to project how I look onto the character, and while when X and Y came out my hair was purple, I usually keep it at a dark red.

PokeGirl24

Houndoom Trainer
    Years
  • I played as a girl because... well.... I am a girl. I felt more comfortable playing as a girl rather than a boy.

LadyVenus

Team Cipher
    Years
  • I chose the girl because I think her design is amazing, plus the customization options are really cute!

Kaiyu

Has officially quit PC
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2016
    I chose to play as the boy. I actually thought about choosing to play the girl but dropped the idea lol.

Back