• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Are you a boy or are you a girl?

Sukyandaru

kimi ni baby sweet berry love
Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2019
    I pretty much always choose the female character because I think they're cuter x:. And in XY there were more customisation options so even better~
    I don't really care whether my character is a boy or girl so why not choose the one I think looks better :p

Nas160

Sometimes here...!
    Years
  • I am male, and I've always chosen the male character for the games for that reason, regardless of my preference on how they look compared to the female one.

Pond

I'm not cute, I'll mess you up.
    Years
  • I usually play as a girl (but alternate genders when restarting my game), and this time is no different. The girls have much cuter customization. I'll still always be mad about the fact that male trainers only get one good hairstyle. >o

swirlixnacht

cute pokemon collector
    Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2015
    I usually play as a girl despite the fact that I'm not one and being called a girl freaks me out in real life, but the customization options are amazing! Plus, I see a lot of guys in the big VGC tournaments playing as girls, even in Hoenn (though less so?), so I don't feel less of a not-girl for playing a girl.

Years
    • Age 31
    • He/Him
    • Ohio
    • Seen Dec 12, 2020
    I play male because I'm a male. I like to play my own gender to get into the game more. Especially with Pokemon where I like to put myself in the trainers shoes.

Years
  • I gravitate towards male characters, even if I'm a woman IRL (honestly it helps so much to prevent harrassment... but I also tend to like their designs more, so for me it's a win-win).

But I do have exceptions. Y is my main game, so I made the character look like me, so it's a girl. X has a girl too, because I had an idea for a name (Fairy monotype, my naming theme was 'sweets', and her name is "Cocoa"... I could have easily done a male character, but the dark-skinned female IS SO CUTE OMG I WANNA HUG HER). I ran through OR as the very default Brendan. Dunno about my next playthroughs XD.

Lemonski

Is already coming for your pizza
    Years
  • Regardless of being a girl in real life, I chose the boy because I liked his design more and I felt like playing as a boy was a more suitable choice for me for some reason.

Anime Sucks

I played as the male, and always do, because I am one.

Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2016
    I am a boy, so I played as a boy.
    Once I finally get around to buying Y version though, I'll play as a girl.

Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2016
    Only sort-of a girl, but I went with the girl for X because I like skirts and feminine-type things regardless so I felt the customization suited me better. More importantly, my little brother was playing as the boy already. :p

Years
  • If pokemon were a first person shooter, I'd definitely pick a female character just so the other players would feel my hitboxes are smaller. But since pokemon isn't that kind of game, I've always chosen the male character.

But maybe I have always been wrong... maybe female characters do put some kind of mental pressure on their challengers.

Sirenita55

Team Popplio!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2018
    I usually choose the girl and I just love Serena's design which made the choice even easier! I've loved customising her as well!

DarkMeow159

Scratch master
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2016
    For X I played as Calem, and for Y I played Serena. It's a tradition of mine to buy both versions (if possible lol) and play a male and a female. Third versions are kind of odd, but I guess I just pick whatever gender I feel like picking at the time.

Years
  • I chose Serena because of customization. She has so many clothes and hairstyles compared to Calem (205 vs. 102)! I would love for them to allow more pants for her though since she only has a few skinny jeans. I also want that bamboo sprig hat for her.

Life

[FONT="Poiret One"][color=#aaaaaa]Perception of Re
    Years
  • When the game was released I picked Calem since I'm a boy and was curious on what kind of customization he got. After completing the game and seeing the customization Serena got I restarted and picked her. :)

When I think about it, I usually pick the girl character in a Pokemon game - except for Soul Silver since Ethan looks awesome. :D

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • When I picked X in the first place, I chose to play as Calem because well, I'm male in real life (like my usual gender picks in most Pokémon games), and I can make my character closely resemble myself when I wanted to. However, I wanted to do something different when playing Y, so I picked Serena because she's cute, and because she got much more style options for sure.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • I traditionally always run through Pokemon games multiple times, usually picking the male character on my first run and decide on a whim in later ones, recently leaning more towards the female protagonist. XY are sliiightly different due to character customization. Because the male character's outfits are trash, I have chosen Serena on almost every subsequent playthrough.

TheLegendaryGuy

The greatest Ash Ketchum fan!
    Years
  • I am a boy and so of course i chose the male character. I have been choosing male since Red and i dont think i am ever gonna choose the opposite gender.

Back