• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ARE YOU ASHAMED OR EMBARASSED?

.emerald

☆ + ♥
Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2014
    why should i be ashamed or embarissed? pokemon is awsome

most people in my class think its awsome to!!!

yeah!, but have you read naruto steps on the face of pokemon?(i read it on an online post)

Mao

Feeling F R E S H
    Years
  • I dont tell anyone at school I play Pokemon, but if they ask me I say I do. What's to get embarrased about, people taking ths mick out of you? If you care then that's just letting small things get to you.

Camisado

a therapeutic chain of events
    Years
  • I've loved Pokémon for about 10 years now, so I went through the phase of everyone loving it when it first came out, and then my friends going "what, your'e still playing that?". I still enjoy the games, the movies and the Chronicles episodes, and I'm probably going to start collecting the merchandise when I start working full-time in August.

I used to get hassled at upper school and sixth-form about it (age 13 to 18) but now I'm in an IT class at college and they...make fun of me in a friendly manner. Because the truth is, they all gather around me and one of the guys if we've got GameBoys or DSs out.

I tell them that I enjoy it, it makes me happy, and that I'd rather they kept any negative opinions to themselves, because it's not going to change me. I'm probably going to be a Pokémon fan forever.

1stGenNut

1st Gen Fanatic
    Years
  • I get irritable whenever someone has a go at me about it. I do actually tell them to shut up, because it infuriates me when they claim I'm childish for liking such a thing, when actually I'm not.

If Pokemon was really meant just for the younger generation, then why on earth wasn't an age limit put on the series?

Pokemons for everyone. Any age, any person. I've been into it since day 1, and I still remember the very first time I went and attacked a Rattata on Pokemon Red <3

Katnip

Harajuku Lover
    Years
  • Only embarrassed around my mom, all she knows about Pokemon is the TV show so she thinks it's for kids. Everybody at my school, though, knows I love pokemon.

black_cat

still learning to hack
    Years
  • i love it, and have loved it since red/blue. i really dont care what others think, whos to say that they have a similar interest? why mock someone for something that makes them happy?

supersmashbro93

Game Lover
    Years
  • i'm a pretty big nerd i play card games at school and play pokemon who cares i'm not embarrassed about anything all my friends know what i do. look at it this way you only have one life do you want to spend all your time trying to impress people with what you do be your self.

Masterleaguegurlx

Envee darlin' :) x
    Years
  • What everyones saying is true and I donnt think I would disagree wth anyone. We are all titled to our own opinion and what we enjoy doing in our spare time shouldnt really effect our socail lives, but usually it just does!

At primary school I used to have a best friend who enjoyed pokemon as much as I did. We were always on about it and stuff.
    Then I got a new group of friends at secondary cause we had different lessons to each other and everything changed.
    Im in what youu would call the 'IT' crowd and pokemon is officaily NOT COOL. I would get made fun of for the rest of my life is people knew so I try and keep it to myself. I did mention it once and to my mate and she started laughing at me.. I just shrugged it off and forgot about it.

But all the same its unfair to be discriminated for it :)
    Soo Im making a stand!
    I LOVE POKEMON AND IM PROUD OF IT :D

Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2008
    Nah im emmbarised, I useally hide the fact and go along wiv the other kids 'Yeh its proper babyish' I can't bare people to say im a baby, Im a cool kid in the school

RIMHfire

Fire User
    Years
  • Well I just read the entire thread and agree with all of you. ANYWAY.

I'm not ashamed or embarassed. Anymore, that is. I'm an original fan, way back to when Blue came out. I was a bit of a tom-boy and would get into trading the cards during recess or playing GameBoy Color in the school yard with the boys. Until they banned cards and gameboys at school because it got too outta control. [Ahh, raging 3rd graders x) ]

I would fall out of it then usually start back up again, usually in the summer because that's when I have the most free time, but when I was 12-13 I was at my most self-conscious stage. I'm still a little now but not nearly as bad as I was. I kind of grew up this past April because I would be graduating from high school the month after, and that's a bit of a face-slapper. Anyway. I did NOT want anybody to find out I liked anything "not cool" during that time. Pokemon, anime, it would be like burning the Bible (and I went to a Catholic school, ironically enough). But I obviously hid in the closet.

But when I hit 16 during my Junior year, I realized Pokemon wasn't a taboo around my friends. I mean, before homeroom during junior year one of the girls I'm friends with would play FireRed on her SP and nobody gave her crap. And even a guy friend would play it when she was stuck on something. I think it had a kind of nostalgic feeling for all of us cuz we'd all crowd around and watch. I realized as we got older, we'd make Pokemon jokes, play it with each other, and nobody gave a damn we were playing it. Come to think of it, I haven't heard a single bad crack about Pokemon over the last 2 years of high school.

As for right now? Before school ended, in my Math class, one of the more popular girls was talking about her and her older guy friends just sat there playing it for hours, and had a full on discussions with another kid who isn't an "in-crowd" kid, but was still a generally liked kid. My friends own Pokemon shirts (one has a Squirtle shirt and heavy debated between that and Charmander; the other a Pikachu shirt), I talk about how I played Pearl for like 5 days straight (the sad part not that it was Pokemon, that I didn't really leave the same room those 5 days), I watch it on TV with my friends, and I even go to Barnes & Noble to play and use their Wi-Fi (and also to use their guides and not have to buy them, which I ended up doing 2 days later anyway cuz it's a little sad staying til close 3 days in a row). And my parents could give a hoot because they don't even know what I'm playing, only my Dad keeps asking me if I beat it yet (he probably thinks it's the same game the last 10-11 years XD).

So to sum it all up, I can't wait till college cuz I'm pretty sure even more people will be open about it, more so than here, which isn't bad at all when I think about it.

Go Pokemon. :)

Last edited:
    Years
  • im in the army & i cant let ppl know of my love for pokemon

it hurts sometimes but i live on
    maybe one day i can let my true colors shine

Phillip Valerius

Velvet Hammer
    Years
  • My philosophy is this: There's really no point in alienating yourself from your peers for something like pokemon. I definitely like pokemon, but I have to admit, it can be childish at times; when people say that the anime nauseates them, I can understand why. The stereoptypes are largely based on truth.

That said, I'm not going to advertise that I'm still revelling in something most people consider the stuff of children. Am I going to lie about it if they ask me? No, certainly not. If I find out that one of my friends likes to talk about Pokemon, will I talk to them about it? Probably. If I write stories about Pokemon, will I share it with my friends? Definitely. But why go out of my way to make people dislike me? If people aren't interested in Pokemon, I'm not going to wave it in their faces, and since almost no one I know is interested in Pokemon, that means most people never get to know this side of me.

THEROGE12

V The Roge x
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 8, 2012
    sometimes i am embarrassed because all my school mates say that pokemon is gay
    sometimes i stop playing then sometimes i play

but am kinda stop playing because im trying to get a girlfriend

1stGenNut

1st Gen Fanatic
    Years
  • You don't have to stop playing Pokemon to get a girlfriend. Ignore those that call it gay - all those sort of people like to do it take the piss out of anybody for things that they don't like. If anything, don't tell any potential future girlfriends, that you're into this.

Lil MuDkiP849

Dream Chaser
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Aug 12, 2021
    You don't have to stop playing Pokemon to get a girlfriend. Ignore those that call it gay - all those sort of people like to do it take the piss out of anybody for things that they don't like. If anything, don't tell any potential future girlfriends, that you're into this.

I dont think this is the right advice, i also feel that this should be said-

OKay PC...we ALL play pokemon..so what?? Its just another game that people like to play, i mean seriously lol. People may laugh and make fun of you of course, but i remember in 10th grade i was in the wrestling locker room and my game falls out and everyone finds out. And you know what i did?? I laughed along...because it is stupid lmao. I was all "Yea man, it's funny. Pokemanz FTW!!" when someone called me immature for playing it. I was so ok with it, that people started to accept me for it. The next thing i know, my ENTIRE wrestling team is playing their old red/blue versions on the way to an away meet. Sure they all called their charmanders and squirtles "Yo MAMA" or "Treehugga" and other dumb stuff, but you just have to laugh at how RIDICOLOUS even MAKING FUN of it is.

And ALSO something i wanted to get at, for those people that play it alot like i do, then it's a part of you, whether that makes sense or not. The game teaches us about raising and prepping and determination and persistance(breeding) and all of that. You JUST HAVE TO ACT YOURSELVES WITH IT honestly for god's sake it is a little game, oh my gosh if people say something about it so what?? Laugh it off like i did and sooner or later they'll either drop it, forget it, or just accept it i mean really the kind of disses i've heard towards this game haven't been too bad anyway all i hear is "Aww geez man he playz POKEMANZ whata loser L-O-LZZZZ" and that's the worse i've heard. Tough break huh? lol

Oh, and about that girlfriend thing, i have a bunchload of yugioh cards and pokemon games lying around my room, and i've been together with her for...oh i dunno bout a year or so, and things are only STARTING to look better for us. I mean sure ill admit she thought it was dumb at first but i was like "Hey well i bet you'd like Togepi. It's like you only in a nutshell" XDD lol good times...

And also through my coolness and me being calm with dealing of all the stupid stuff at school i've even inspired some people to play it with me. Down at my local gamestop 1/4 of the people go there are people from my school. Sure, they dont play it as much as i do, but they sure as HECK look to me for any pokemon info. We also do other stuff but it all branched from pokemon...

And with everything i've said above, every paragraph has one similarity- BEING YOURSELF you will get SO far in life being yourself it's not even funny, no matter how hurtful, painful, or bumpy the road of life yours is. Because in the end, there will ALWAYS be a light in the darkness, and that light just takes time, and the best way to get there is to just act cool about the game, don't make it a big deal (because seriously...it isn't) and just enjoy life =D

1stGenNut

1st Gen Fanatic
    Years
  • Yeah, it's not theee best advice. Kinda realised afterwards >.o
    Be really honest about it, forget what I said XD. If someone doesn't appreciate you just because of one little thing, then they're not worth it. -shrugs-.

Lil MuDkiP849

Dream Chaser
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Aug 12, 2021
    Yeah, it's not theee best advice. Kinda realised afterwards >.o
    Be really honest about it, forget what I said XD. If someone doesn't appreciate you just because of one little thing, then they're not worth it. -shrugs-.

Exactly my point. Pokemon is just a little tool some jerks use to nibble at your skin. I mean honestly, people get made fun of for the dumbest things ALL THE TIME. I remember this one time i got made fun of for having freakin KETCHUP ON MY LUNCH TRAY...LOL!! Honestly think about the stuff people say about these things even though you may *seem* stupid ATM but to be honest the ones laughing *seem more* AND *look* stupid for even bothering.

.emerald

☆ + ♥
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2014
    I dont think this is the right advice, i also feel that this should be said-

OKay PC...we ALL play pokemon..so what?? Its just another game that people like to play, i mean seriously lol. People may laugh and make fun of you of course, but i remember in 10th grade i was in the wrestling locker room and my game falls out and everyone finds out. And you know what i did?? I laughed along...because it is stupid lmao. I was all "Yea man, it's funny. Pokemanz FTW!!" when someone called me immature for playing it. I was so ok with it, that people started to accept me for it. The next thing i know, my ENTIRE wrestling team is playing their old red/blue versions on the way to an away meet. Sure they all called their charmanders and squirtles "Yo MAMA" or "Treehugga" and other dumb stuff, but you just have to laugh at how RIDICOLOUS even MAKING FUN of it is.

And ALSO something i wanted to get at, for those people that play it alot like i do, then it's a part of you, whether that makes sense or not. The game teaches us about raising and prepping and determination and persistance(breeding) and all of that. You JUST HAVE TO ACT YOURSELVES WITH IT honestly for god's sake it is a little game, oh my gosh if people say something about it so what?? Laugh it off like i did and sooner or later they'll either drop it, forget it, or just accept it i mean really the kind of disses i've heard towards this game haven't been too bad anyway all i hear is "Aww geez man he playz POKEMANZ whata loser L-O-LZZZZ" and that's the worse i've heard. Tough break huh? lol

Oh, and about that girlfriend thing, i have a bunchload of yugioh cards and pokemon games lying around my room, and i've been together with her for...oh i dunno bout a year or so, and things are only STARTING to look better for us. I mean sure ill admit she thought it was dumb at first but i was like "Hey well i bet you'd like Togepi. It's like you only in a nutshell" XDD lol good times...

And also through my coolness and me being calm with dealing of all the stupid stuff at school i've even inspired some people to play it with me. Down at my local gamestop 1/4 of the people go there are people from my school. Sure, they dont play it as much as i do, but they sure as HECK look to me for any pokemon info. We also do other stuff but it all branched from pokemon...

And with everything i've said above, every paragraph has one similarity- BEING YOURSELF you will get SO far in life being yourself it's not even funny, no matter how hurtful, painful, or bumpy the road of life yours is. Because in the end, there will ALWAYS be a light in the darkness, and that light just takes time, and the best way to get there is to just act cool about the game, don't make it a big deal (because seriously...it isn't) and just enjoy life =D

i get what youre saying!!!!

Back