• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Atheism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
Years
  • I am a confirmed Roman Catholic. That doesn't mean I'm one of those fundamentalist asses that will judge you for not believing in the same thing as them, nor do I condemn anything that is traditionally called a sin. I'm a "love thy neighbor" or "hate the sin but love the sinner" brand of Christian.

I believe in a god because life and existence itself is so deep and mysterious that the likelihood of us finding all the answers in earthly things is astronomically low.

Neil Peart

Learn to swim
    Years
  • Well, since I don't give a damn about being flamed because I'M aware that this is just a forum filled with people I will never meet and have no consequence to fear, I'm atheist because it's logical. No decent God in my mind would let murder, rape, and other atrocities to our society happen. On a more practical level, I haven't seen him or any of his "miracles." God was a clever little story made up by power-hungry and greedy imbeciles long ago to keep populations in check and weasel a few dollars out of it themselves.

I've had family members imprisoned because of lies, friends dead way too soon, and the universal softener I've always received is "he was taken for a reason, he's in a better place."

Bullsh--.

God's only looking out for himself, in that case - not my personal feelings and sanity.

Know how they say "God never gives you more than you can handle"? Tell that to the people on this planet who kill themselves every 30 seconds.

Religion is all an easily refutable pile of nonsense. A crutch to mask reality and placate a tortured soul.

Now flame away - I embrace it.

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    This is the least confrontation thread about religion I've ever seen!

Well I'm an atheist. I never had any pressure growing up to be religious, so I never bought into any of it. I also hold a strong belief in the validity and the strength of the scientific method, of which from what I've seen, many religions would not pass as real when put through.

Neil Peart

Learn to swim
    Years
  • My goal was never a confrontation. The reason confrontation erupts on these types of threads is because people are small-minded enough to let some internet person behind a screen get to them.

Zeph.

Casual Player, Silly Username
    Years
  • Forgive me, but how can you rant like you did a few posts back and not expect a confrontation?

I agree with you on it, don't get me wrong, but you can easily offend people with that.

Ayselipera

I'm an atheist and I would explain, but it's rather long and drawn out and it's hard for me to explain just through words on a screen alone. I also respect others for what they believe in, whatever that may be. I just don't like when people pester me and tell me how I'm going to burn in hell. If that's what you think then great, but please just keep it to yourself.

With all that being said I really don't support when other atheists make fun of or try to degrade others for what they believe in. I see it often and I find it really disgusting. It gives all us nice atheists a bad rap. :(

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • Well, since I don't give a damn about being flamed because I'M aware that this is just a forum filled with people I will never meet and have no consequence to fear, I'm atheist because it's logical. No decent God in my mind would let murder, rape, and other atrocities to our society happen. On a more practical level, I haven't seen him or any of his "miracles." God was a clever little story made up by power-hungry and greedy imbeciles long ago to keep populations in check and weasel a few dollars out of it themselves.

I've had family members imprisoned because of lies, friends dead way too soon, and the universal softener I've always received is "he was taken for a reason, he's in a better place."

Bullsh--.

God's only looking out for himself, in that case - not my personal feelings and sanity.

Know how they say "God never gives you more than you can handle"? Tell that to the people on this planet who kill themselves every 30 seconds.

Religion is all an easily refutable pile of nonsense. A crutch to mask reality and placate a tortured soul.

Now flame away - I embrace it.

Actually, I look at it this way:

God uses Earth as a test to confirm which humans are good-natured, and which humans aren't. He knows in advance, indeed, but He wants to see who can see past the wrong information given in the world, and perhaps they'll even change, at which by that point, God becomes aware of that, too. He wants humans to embrace Him naturally and not by force, since is it not better to be loved by will and not involuntarily? Earth is also a contest for the one we know as Satan, or Lucifer. It is said that this Djinn confronted God and refused to regard humans as the better, smarter being, and therefore Lucifer demanded for eternal life as to be given the time to prove to God that His creation is bad at heart. For thousands and thousands of years, Lucifer has influenced human society in a way to contradict God and in an attempt to prove the Creator wrong. His first act was the apple with Adam and Eve; ever since, Lucifer's influence has gripped society in many ways - television, music, etc. The media world has become more and more evidently anti-religious and Lucifer is pleased.

Those who commit sins that God is against are failing His "test". In my opinion, the people who are the victims will be recompensed later in life or in the afterlife, and those who commit such sins will be punished. Originally, these sins did not exist. Sin came to exist when Eve was tricked by the satanic reptile to consume the apple which gave all knowledge. Humans were good and had only knowledge of good in the beginning; after eating the apple, they gained knowledge of bad things, such as rape, murder, etc.

If Heaven was given to everyone, and everyone was forced to love God, Heaven would lose its value. Surely you know the saying "You don't know what you have until it's gone"? Well, likewise, you appreciate the value of things when you don't have it, but want it. If Heaven was given to everyone, no one would realize just how amazing it is.

God knows everything that we'll do, have done, and are presently doing. He sees everything. He doesn't stop some acts, though, because it's part of His "test". I've had horrible things happen to myself and people I've known, and I believe God interferes sometimes to grant karma. He rewards victims who stay strong afterwards, and He condemns those who do terrible, terrible things in their lifetime. I don't mean the little white lie here and there. He won't condemn someone who steals to be able to eat. He'll condemn murderers, rapists, etc. and people who preach against him. He rewards those who are charitable and live in good faith towards fellow man, and thwart the relentless attemps from Satan (or, Shai'tan) that try to change them negatively. It's all based on the intent of the person, and not the action itself. If you mean to do wrong, you will surely be punished. If you do wrong but unintentionally, you will be spared punishment.

This is all just my opinion. It's not a reflection of my religion at its core, but moreso how I've decided to interpret it. I believe the world makes a lot more sense when viewed the way that I see it, but of course, everyone is free to make their own judgments and believe in what they want. I'm just offering my insight on the whole thing.

Last edited:

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    Yes. I was a Christian (mainly because school told me to be) until I was about 6 and realised that religion made no sense. Science has proof for it's theories, Religion bases itself on a book of stories that operate under the idea of "it's true because it says it is".

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013

Actually, I look at it this way:

God uses Earth as a test to confirm which humans are good-natured, and which humans aren't. He knows in advance, indeed, but He wants to see who can see past the wrong information given in the world, and perhaps they'll even change, at which by that point, God becomes aware of that, too. He wants humans to embrace Him naturally and not by force, since is it not better to be loved by will and not involuntarily? Earth is also a contest for the one we know as Satan, or Lucifer. It is said that this Djinn confronted God and refused to regard humans as the better, smarter being, and therefore Lucifer demanded for eternal life as to be given the time to prove to God that His creation is bad at heart. For thousands and thousands of years, Lucifer has influenced human society in a way to contradict God and in an attempt to prove the Creator wrong. His first act was the apple with Adam and Eve; ever since, Lucifer's influence has gripped society in many ways - television, music, etc. The media world has become more and more evidently anti-religious and Lucifer is pleased.

Those who commit sins that God is against are failing His "test". In my opinion, the people who are the victims will be recompensed later in life or in the afterlife, and those who commit such sins will be punished. Originally, these sins did not exist. Sin came to exist when Eve was tricked by the satanic reptile to consume the apple which gave all knowledge. Humans were good and had only knowledge of good in the beginning; after eating the apple, they gained knowledge of bad things, such as rape, murder, etc.

If Heaven was given to everyone, and everyone was forced to love God, Heaven would lose its value. Surely you know the saying "You don't know what you have until it's gone"? Well, likewise, you appreciate the value of things when you don't have it, but want it. If Heaven was given to everyone, no one would realize just how amazing it is.

God knows everything that we'll do, have done, and are presently doing. He sees everything. He doesn't stop some acts, though, because it's part of His "test". I've had horrible things happen to myself and people I've known, and I believe God interferes sometimes to grant karma. He rewards victims who stay strong afterwards, and He condemns those who do terrible, terrible things in their lifetime. I don't mean the little white lie here and there. He won't condemn someone who steals to be able to eat. He'll condemn murderers, rapists, etc. and people who preach against him. He rewards those who are charitable and live in good faith towards fellow man, and thwart the relentless attemps from Satan (or, Shai'tan) that try to change them negatively. It's all based on the intent of the person, and not the action itself. If you mean to do wrong, you will surely be punished. If you do wrong but unintentionally, you will be spared punishment.

This is all just my opinion. It's not a reflection of my religion at its core, but moreso how I've decided to interpret it. I believe the world makes a lot more sense when viewed the way that I see it, but of course, everyone is free to make their own judgments and believe in what they want. I'm just offering my insight on the whole thing.

Though that's what I believe whats wrong with religion. No offense, but when something comes up that questions the belief, people often either just deny it or rewrite their own interpretations that work around those inconsistencies rather than actually confronting it as an issue in the belief. There are also a few key logical errors in your interpretation, but its not worth going into that sort of detail.

Like I said, no offense, I'm just trying to get across one of the main fundamentals of why I'm an atheist in contrast to a major reason people are religious. You can believe what you believe and I'll believe what I believe. Its just good to know all of your cards before you make your bet.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • Though that's what I believe whats wrong with religion. No offense, but when something comes up that questions the belief, people often either just deny it or rewrite their own interpretations that work around those inconsistencies rather than actually confronting it as an issue in the belief. There are also a few key logical errors in your interpretation, but its not worth going into that sort of detail.

Like I said, no offense, I'm just trying to get across one of the main fundamentals of why I'm an atheist in contrast to a major reason people are religious. You can believe what you believe and I'll believe what I believe. Its just good to know all of your cards before you make your bet.

Yup, as said, people are free to make their own judgments and decisions, and to choose their own beliefs. No one should ever force someone else to think the same way if that person doesn't want to.

Although, I don't rewrite my interpretation for conveniency. What I believe is what I believe, and I won't just change it freely. I disapprove of that.

Last edited:

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • Nah I am not an atheist. Think of the most complicated machinery. Okay that was created. Now think about this more complicated universe it just make sense that there has to be a creator.

RuRuBell

Beeef
    Years
  • I'm an Atheist, and I do believe that I've been one for as long as I can remember. I was raised as a Muslim and I went along with it because that's what I was told I was, but I was never religious nor did I hold any true belief in god. It didn't seem right or fair to me to practice something I didn't believe in.

I'm just happy that my parents were open-minded enough to accept that when I told them that.

Missingno.7-4468

The Kazuka Party is for curry!
    Years
  • Please elaborate for me in which ways he's answered your prayers.

Well, there've been many different times in which He has answered my prayers. The most recent has been when I(Along with some other people) prayed for someone at my mom's work who was going through a LOT of financial trouble and just trouble in general. It was only about a few days later when she got many of what some people would call "lucky breaks." She got money from somewhere that hadn't been giving her money, and she got away from her husband who had been very bad and such.(Long story there...)

Also, I am actually lucky to be alive, TBH. When I was about 4, I was taking swimming lessons. One day, I somehow got into the deep end of the pool, and I actually did in fact drown. However, I had a "usual" near death experience. The strange thing about it though, is that the woman who pushed me back was my grandma's best friend(who had died a few years before I was born), and I actually told people her name and everything. I had never even heard stories about her before.

Now, to get into why God "lets" bad things happens. When Adam and Eve disobeyed Him, He cursed the world so that they would have to work to farm their crops. Then there was the whole thing with the Flood(Which, by the way, was what separated Pangaea and made all the fossils we see now...), which basically brought all the natural disasters and such.

Now, all the things like rape, murder, war, etc. are all caused by our sinful nature, and not by God. God gave us the ability to think for ourselves, which lets those foul things come into our minds. Because of our sinful nature(Which ALL people have BTW. Even the most devout of Christians.), we do bad things and such. NOBODY is free from sin.

Hantsuki

a little wolf inside a girl
    Years
  • I don't follow any particular religion because I think they are all contradictory (no offense), but I think it would be too extreme to call myself an atheist. If I'm not mistaken, being an atheist means that you believe there is no "god" and I believe there is some "god" or creator who started everything, just not sure who it is.

As a matter of fact, I learned about a new religion in my early American literature class, deism, and I think that suits me more. Basically, I think that some "god" or creator put together everything that exists now and he just let it all set up by itself and he doesn't interfere with other people's lives. I mean, if you didn't study for big exam the night before and you're just praying that some miracle will allow you to pass the test, then I don't think it's going to happen. Basically, you control your own fate.

Years
  • I'm agnostic but leaning more towards atheist. I have never really settled on a single belief and to say there definitely isn't a god requites just as much faith as to say there definitely is imo.

Erin

Exceptionally Adequate
    Years
    • Age 31
    • SA
    • Seen Nov 14, 2010
    The only thing I can really describe myself as is a theist.

Do I believe in a God, or some kind of God-like force beyone human understanding? Yes. As a primarily logical person, I feel conflicted about the fact that I don't have any logical backing (I for one reject the "life-is-so-complicated-there-HAS-to-be-a-creator" argument) for it, && it's largely based in gut intuition, but it's one of the few stances I take that I can't back up with facts or statistics. It's a personal perojative.

That being said, I think it's fooling to identify with any one religion. I've studied && encounter a handful of religions in my life: I was raised Calvinist, went to school with Catholics, Protestants, && Jews, related to Muslims, am neighbours with members of tribal faiths, && I've studied && visited the two of the Ba'hai Houses of Worship. That being said, having seen && learned of these religions with their roots in Europe, the Middle East, Southern Africa, && India, I've concluded that despite differences in lore, characters, && contexts, all the Holy texts of these religions adhere to the same fundamental ideals: the creation of a commonly recognized sense of morality to facilitate the creation of stable, humane societies.

I feel these sorts of things may have been "God inspired", but I can't say for certain. Religious leaders, political figures, && others who claim "God is on our side" are hypocrites. If mankind is a fundamentally flawed && impure race, no human being has the right to say they understand God's will or know what the "Godlike" thing is to do.

Many religions say that man was made in God's image. I could make a self-portrait out of macoroni && crazy glue. That doesn't mean my macaroni art is a perfect replica me. Nor does my macaroni art understand why I made it.

I feel that there's some kind of overarching power in the universe. Even if there isn't, the makings of the universe are presently largely beyond any form of human comprehension, religious or otherwise.

There's more productive things humanity can be doing than mulling over the subtilties of how we got here. Ie, finding concievable, affordable, && effective ways of guaranteeing that we're still around for 22nd century.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • Many religions say that man was made in God's image. I could make a self-portrait out of macoroni && crazy glue. That doesn't mean my macaroni art is a perfect replica me. Nor does my macaroni art understand why I made it.

The only reason why I don't agree with that is that people took it so literally. God certainly doesn't look like a human; I wholeheartedly agree that anything you can think of, draw, etc. is not God, because God cannot be depicted by the human mind. Again, my belief :<

I believe when God stated He made us in "His image", that the text meant in the image of goodness. Humans were good before Eve consumed a portion of the apple that allowed her and Adam to think sinfully.

I find it silly if someone believes God is really a man floating on a cloud. I hope I don't offend anyone with that o-o;;;

institutions

ain't that a kick in the head?
    Years
  • I guess most people would call me what you described as one of those teens who is atheist 'cause its cool'.
    Although, I believe those people are mostly social who brag to their friends about their non-faith as much as possible to make them look cool.
    I'm pretty antisocial though, only have a few friends and don't really talk much.
    I believe in fact.
    I also become overwhelmed with pity and something else, it might be anger, when I see religious shows on TV or billboards or overhear people say 'do this or you'll go to hell.'
    I know I should accept peoples faiths and let them believe it, but it's hard when so many wars are fought because of it.
    I have a lot of thoughts in my head right now, so I really can't expand upon this just yet, i'm sorry.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back