• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Attack on Titan

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
Am I looking at this wrong because that manga scene is... nothing. Vacant looks, pretty boring dialogue there. The scene in the clip, however, is dramatic and intense. You may prefer the manga but that was a very odd comparison.

It was a subtle scene in the manga and that is endlessly preferable than screaming like a psychopath. The manga gave the impression that he's determined and will do what he has to do because it has to be done. Anime on the other hand it seemed to be more about the act of killing.

I suppose if I was the anime producer and my target audience was 13 year old boys you would have to go for the super edge mode version.

I like Eren a lot more in the manga.

Years
I'm not really one to watch the dub. It's just not my thing to double watch a series.

Still manga-wise its starting to get interesting considering the now outright attempts to topple the existing order.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
Funimation posted another clip today. www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwbJOSm4SUs
Great voice acting in this one. As for what Solace posted, Armin sounds fine and befitting to me. Jean and Annie sound great. Mikasa was a bit soulless. Levi sounds deeper than I expected, but Petra and Hanji have reasonable voices.

I should start the manga. I miss this show. D:

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
Not gunna watch the dub. And manga kind of lost me after chapter 50 ish. But I'll resume someday.

Years
I'm not one for dubbed anime either so I haven't been following the news for it thus I have absolutely no idea that this existed, to be quite honest :c Thought Jean's voice would be slightly lower, filled with angst...And Levi! XD Oh dear. I have nothing against dubbed series, but it's not for me. I find myself trying to contain my laughter because after watching it in Japanese, I can only imagine those faces with their voices.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Watched the anime on the weekend, subtitled. The soundtrack is the best I've heard outside of video games. Really brought out a lot of scenes that, without it, could've ended up melodramatic; I think they came across pretty well in the end. All it needs is more action from the wall-mounted cannons (I had hoped for at least one lavish depiction of massed volleys) and for Ymir and Sasha to stop being so backgroundy (this is probably only an issue with the anime, though). I don't expect it's to most people's taste, but I really liked all the long-winded guff about the long-range scouting formation. Not bad for an animation I watched purely because the uniforms look pretty hot the 3D gear is pretty cool.

Does anyone else feel like Jean should be the main protagonist? I mean, given the amount of development his character gets.

Lastly, Eren should've been female; looks more mature, that way.

Spoilers ahead:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Armin is actually my favorite character in this whole show. No joke. :3
I think I like Hanji more, but Armin is a close second; just a shame he doesn't seem to get any kills, like he was completely shoehorned into the 'brains of the outfit' role to the exclusion of his entire three years of military training.

Last edited:
Years
Watched the anime on the weekend, subtitled. The soundtrack is the best I've heard outside of video games. Really brought out a lot of scenes that, without it, could've ended up melodramatic; I think they came across pretty well in the end.

Then you should play some Bravely Default. Some of the soundtrack were made by the same folks. :P

I think I like Hanji more, but Armin is a close second; just a shame he doesn't seem to get any kills, like he was completely shoehorned into the 'brains of the outfit' role to the exclusion of his entire three years of military training.

Yeah it sucks that he's been forced to cover for a certain role in the series. But its typical of shonen to just push someone into certain trope roles so...

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Hanji is the only good female character in the series (if I don't count Armin).
And... only good character is Levi...

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Then you should play some Bravely Default. Some of the soundtrack were made by the same folks. :P

Yeah it sucks that he's been forced to cover for a certain role in the series. But its typical of shonen to just push someone into certain trope roles so...
Unfortunately I already have a backlog of TRPGs. Someday.

Honestly, I find it hard to think of SnK as shōnen, but I guess they're bound to become more edgy and violent as time goes on, culminating in this sort of thing. The narrative is probably typical of one (I wouldn't entirely know), but it a lot of the visuals don't exactly resemble daytime television.

Hanji is the only good female character in the series (if I don't count Armin).
And... only good character is Levi...
... Does Armin turn out to be female at some point in the manga or are you just being funny (sorry, I don't have a better way to put that)? He looks like that Schrödinger guy from Hellsing, and after seeing enough of that sort of thing, I can fully believe Armin is male.

Just curious, what makes Levi the best character?

Last edited:

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
Levi is your typical badass with no character depth to him. He doesn't have much apart from being one of the strongest humans in terms of combat abilities and a fangirl magnet. I'm not a fan. Armin's better than Levi.

...he's just dissing Armin for being a pussy, Cassino. Or trying to be funny/joking, whatever.

Last edited:

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
... Does Armin turn out to be female at some point in the manga or are you just being funny (sorry, I don't have a better way to put that)? He looks like that Schrödinger guy from Hellsing, and after seeing enough of that sort of thing, I can fully believe Armin is male.
It's a common joke to adress Armin as female.
And... yea, you can say, he becomes female for a bit =)
Spoiler:

Just curious, what makes Levi the best character?
He's not whiny as the rest of the cast, pretty much what Dante said, he's badass.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Levi isn't the only one who isn't "whiny" so to speak haha. So I do kind of hope there is more reason to that. I like Levi but I'm going to have to go with Armin as my favorite. Despite being shoehorned into 'brains' trope I've been finding the parts with him my favorite (the scene with him, Jean, and Reiner is currently my favorite of the series so far) and truth me told my favorites tend to be blonde hair blue eyes oops.

That said I finished the anime and caught up with the manga last night. The anime was nice until the last three episodes when it deviated from the manga and then it just got... yeah. But I've enjoyed the manga so far. I think the character that bugs me the most (other than anime!eren especially in the last three episodes ugh) is Mikasa because I wish she could become a more rounded character in which whenever she's focused on it's not because of Eren in some way, shape, or form.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I fully agree, I have never understood why Levi is such a favorite. I spend a lot of time on tumblr, and it really scares me how much the fans on there idolize him to the point where it feels like the Levi they idolize isn't even the Levi that's in the manga.. if that makes sense? It's like they've given him a new personality based on fanart and subtle moments and bad translations in the official manga to replace his personality of... nothing really. He is cool, I guess, but he is really nothing more than that.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Because people, for some reason, really like the stoic type who seem to not care about anything. Which is all right but for some reason a lot of them like to take it out of proportion (i mean don't even get my started with the Sasuke fans from way back then.)

Though I have to say that I an understand the subtle moments. It's sometimes those little subtle things that you don't always catch at first that can really define and add depth to a character. Whether they actually interpret these subtle moments correctly though is another matter. Since I just got into AoT I can't say much for the fandom (which knowing me I will end up avoiding regardless) nor do I want to jump to conclusions on what you mean exactly by it.

That said in general people like to do weird things to characters in the fandom that cause them to have a 'fandom version' of their actual selves. Specifically of the character archetype Levi is in so it really sounds like he's no exception.

But god I hope Eren doesn't have a fandom interpretation because then that would mean there are three versions of him floating around hahaha.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
it feels like the Levi they idolize isn't even the Levi that's in the manga.. if that makes sense?
It makes. In manga he's not voiced by Hiroshi Kamiya.

I just got into AoT I can't say much for the fandom (which knowing me I will end up avoiding regardless)
You should... One of my friend lost interest in Eotenas because of fandom.

Rivaille has about as much depth as the rest of the cast. None.
Can't disagree with this, though =D

Back