• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Battle Frontier Discussion

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Neither one of you are making much sense. First off, your Pokes don't gain Exp in the Battle Frontier. Once you construct your BF team, you don't use them outside of the BF.

Also, in the Open Level, your opponent's Pokes will be the same as the highest leveled Poke that you have or Lv60, whichever is higher.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • in the Battle Palace I was a lucky one, my Zapdos went against a bunch of water type Pokemon and Zapdos kept on using thunderbolt not to brag XP. The team I use is
    Swampert
    Eathquake
    Protect
    Surf
    Icebeam

Blaziken
    Skyuppercut
    Flamethrower
    Aerial Ace
    Brick Break

Zapdos
    Thunderbolt
    Drill Peck
    Protect
    Fly

they are doing a great job in the Battle Frontier

:t354:~*!*~QUeen Boo~*!*~

Years
  • How do you get symbols?

I went into the Battle Pyramid or Palace I forget, but I beat 7 trainers or something, anyways I won and had it recorded, but how do I get the symbol? I went in with a mixed group of level 50s, and the opponent used 60s. Do I need to do the level 50 challenge? If so, does Metagross, Medicham and (insert Pokemon here) sound good? Tell me what moves I should teach them too.

Also what moves do you recommend for all my Pokemon?

Medicham I'm thinking
    Recover
    Hi Jump Kick
    Fire Punch
    Ice Punch

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    You only get symbols by doing the Lv50 single battles.

Do not put special attacks on Medicham. Its base SAtk is horrible. Its moveset is more like this:

Medicham @ Choice Band / Leftovers
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Brick Break / Hi Jump Kick
    - Focus Punch / Substitute
    - Rock Slide
    - Shadow Ball

Medicham is an under-rated physical attacker. The doubled Atk is not something to overlook. BB/HJK depends on your preference. HJK hurts a lot more, but missing means losing 1/8 HP. BB can also bust through Reflect/Light Screen. FP/Substitute is also preference. FP if you can predict, Sub if you suck at it. RS for Flying-types and SB for other Psychics.

MrRandomIDon'tCare

I'm Not Here
    Years
  • i have got all the symbols without cheatin, but i cant remember how seeing as i did it ages ago, when emerald first came out. bloody hell thats 2 yrs now...

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    If you visit Scott at his house, he will give you the Lansat Berry if you get all the Silver Symbols, and the Starf Berry if you get all the Gold Symbols.

Years
  • Hey guys im on to the frontier now and i have a few questions.

If you enter the open lv section. Are the pokemon at the next highest lv devisable by 10?? e.g if i enter my lv 58 Sceptile would the opponents pokemon be at lv 60? How does it work?

When you are in the different battle arena's can you get the symblos from doing either section
    LV 50 and Open or can you only get the symbols if you go on lv 50??

plz help me out with it

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    No. In Open Level, the lowest your opponent's Pokes will be is Lv60, regardless if your strongest Poke is Lv59. If your strongest Poke is above Lv60, ALL your opponents Pokes will be the same level of that Poke. That is why it is important to take a balanced team in the BF Open Level.

You only get symbols by battling in the SINGLE Lv50 battles.

Years
  • Hey guys i want some help i am going to try and do the battle frontier soon. I have only got one silver symbol. It was from the one where you get random pokemon. To get the rest you need ur own pkmn at lv 50. I was wandering what is a good team of 3 to use in the BF. At the moment i am planning on using Gradoviour (LV50) Heracross (LV 40 im gonna train him to fifty first) and Ampharos(Lv 42 i am also training him to 50) Is that a good team or should i replace some??? plz help me out

Years
  • Any team is good as long as you can get a good mix of moves on them. Like... a Swampert with: Ice Beam, Earthquake, Surf, and Rest, it's got a great mix of moves and can take out it's weakness, therefore giving you a good Poke to use in Battle Frontier. Good luck ;)

EDIT:

I need a good moveset for a Sceptile, and a Flygon. I need to think of a moveset that they both can use that's very different. I was thinking of teaching Sceptile --Brick Break, Leafblade, Rest, and (insert here) and Flygon -- Dragon Claw, Earthquake, etc. etc. I will be using a Slaking with Slackoff, Hyper Beam, Slash, and (insert here). They all have to know different TMs unless I can get two of the same TM. I am thinking of using this team for Battle Frontier, and need help please, and thank you :D

Last edited:

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Please don't use those movesets. That will limit your team way too much and leave you vulnerable. When constructing a BF team, you are better off with a special attacker, a physical attacker, and a defensive wall. As you can see, you don't have that. Here is what you want:

Flygon @ Choice Band
    EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spd / 16 SAtk
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Blast
    - Quick Attack / Screech
    - Rock Slide

This is your starter. QuakeSlide hurts a lot of different types. Fire Blast takes down Steel/Grass/Bugs. Quick Attack is a good finishing move, although Screech can help take down Normal types like Snorlax and Blissey easier.

Sceptile @ Leftovers
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spd / 252 SAtk
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Leaf Blade
    - Leech Seed
    - Substitute
    - Thunderpunch

The HP recovery you get between Leech Seed and Leftovers makes Substitute practically free. Once the Sub is up, you can deal damage with a STAB Leaf Blade or a Thunderpunch. I prefer a more versatile special attacker, but Sceptile can do, especially against the Swampert you will face at the end of the Battle Tower.

The last slot is up to you. Pokes like Snorlax, Blissey, Suicune, Umbreon, Dusclops, and even Milotic really come in handy since they can take a lot of hits that you wouldn't want you more frail Pokes taking. Here is a Milotic that I have used:

Milotic @ Leftovers
    EVs: 212 HP / 252 Def / 12 Spd / 32 SAtk
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Hypnosis / Toxic
    - Ice Beam
    - Recover
    - Surf

Hypnosis puts threats to sleep, or you can hit them with Toxic. The others are pretty self-explanatory. It takes a lot to KO Milotic, especially when it gets statused and its Def is upped by 1.5. Leftovers should be used here, but your Sceptile really needs them for it to be effective. You can put something else like Shell Bell for some HP recovery. Just avoid Lum Berry since you want this thing to get statused.

Years
  • Ok new question then... shanecdavis... create me a random team that would be good for Battle Frontier that is obtainable without trading from FireRed/LeafGreen or Ruby/Sapphire. Also, I don't understand how to get the perfect EVs like you say, if I wanted HP EVs wouldn't I fight Marill's or something? And, wouldn't it also take like 20 years to get it?

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    The movesets I suggested before are all attainable in Emerald. Swampert/Salamence can be very efficient physical attackers, and Alakazam/Gardevoir are terrific special attackers. Regice is also a great wall, if you want to use Legendaries.

EVs have to be tracked manually, but it is definitely worth it. Every time you battle a Marill, all Pokes involved (even those that didn't participate but were holding an Exp. Share) will get 2 HP EV points. If you have a Poke hold the Macho Brace, it will double the points earned. No, it doesn't take 20 years to get, it typically takes an hour or two if you don't have the means (meaning two games and two GBAs, or another friend) to set up Secret Bases to expedite your EV training.

Years
  • So... how would I know if the EVs get up to 252? Do I have to raise it from level 5 and just keep track of it?

Also, I think I'm going to use an Alakazam, Regice, and something else, except Swampert/Salamence because I get tired of them easily, maybe a Heracross?

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    You don't know when you have maxed out a stat. I use a spreadsheet on my Clie to keep track, but you can use a piece of paper and pencil if you need to. You will know that you have hit 510 when Mrs. Energy Guru gives you the Effort Ribbon. She is located next to Mr. Energy Guru in Slateport. Keep in mind that the EVs I provided are for competitive play (NetBattle), where all IVs are 31. Once you know the IVs of your Pokes you will just need to adjust the EV spread accordingly.

Heracross/Alakazam/Regice can work, but not having Earthquake could be an issue. Watch out for Swampert.

Back