• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen BW Pokemon Transfer

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    Short of a mechanics overhaul to the extent of what happened with Generation III, I would prefer trading capabilities, not just transferring capabilities. I didn't think it made sense for Pal Park to be one-way, but if anyone could clarify the game mechanic that prevented trading between Generation III and IV games...

Change of console; incompatibility of the trading system.

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2011
    My point is that is is rather probable that you trade from gen V to IV but of course only gen IV pokemon and moves. Because they use the same systems.But what other intercactions do you think of?

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
    Short of a mechanics overhaul to the extent of what happened with Generation III, I would prefer trading capabilities, not just transferring capabilities. I didn't think it made sense for Pal Park to be one-way, but if anyone could clarify the game mechanic that prevented trading between Generation III and IV games...

The new moves and abilities introduced in Gen 4 that weren't in Gen 3. If a pokemon were to learn a move that didn't exist in Gen 3 while it was on Gen 4, what would it be if it were to go back?

Years
    If the console changed, how come the games could still interact? Why specifically was only III to IV possible? I'd actually like to know, if you're aware of the mechanics.

Think about this: How were Generations I and II able to trade with each other, even though many new Pokémon moves appeared in Generation II?
    The first two versions of the DS had a slot for GBA games. In order to transfer from Generation II to Generation IV you had to have the Third Generation game in the GBA slot and select the transfer option from the main menu in the Fourth Generation game. This is a one-way transfer.

In order to trade between Generation I and Generation II, the Generation II game had to unlock the time capsule. In order to use the Time Capsule the trainer's team could not contain Generation II Pokémon, eggs, and First Generation Pokémon that knew a Second Generation moves. The reason that the first two generations could trade so freely is that the hardware was similar and the data structure for the Pokémon were similar.

Years
    But why was it specifically only one-way? Why was transferring back not an option?

The data structure between Generation III and IV was similar as well, and obviously the hardware was similar or else transfers wouldn't even be possible.
    These two pages show the difference between the Generation III and Generation IV structure. Also the GBA slot only supported single-player functions only.

austy14

Cannibal
    Years
    I think it should be like gens 1 and 2, where you could trade/battle as long as the gen 2 didnt have any new pokemon/moves. i think that would just be easier, because almost anyway you look at it you probably need 2 ds's.

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
    Years
    From PokeJungle:

New details have emerged from today's Oha Suta airing… right now I can bring you information about transferring pokemon to Black and White. It looks like this is how you get Pokemon from previous DS games (DPPtHGSS) into BW. It's called "PokeShifter" and a small minigame will ensue after in which somehow you will have to obtain your pokemon (notice there is a time limit too).

BW Pokemon Transfer

Last edited:

n64benowitz177

Is The Man In The Mirror.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2012
    I wonder if you have to load up Black or White first go to this place and then switch out the cartridges put in the current gen ones and transfer the pokes then go back to the Black or White cartridge.

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
    This is like a new Pal Park. =P But its sounds more interesting, because of that mini-game screenshot. =D

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2011
    Sorry for the people who hoped for a two way transfer :(. It turns out that the transfer method will be similar to pal park.

Swolligator

Butcher of the Sands
    Years
    I wonder if you have to load up Black or White first go to this place and then switch out the cartridges put in the current gen ones and transfer the pokes then go back to the Black or White cartridge.

It requires 2 DS systems, says so in the second screenshot.

EDIT: sorry, ill translate: "To play in the 'PokeShifter', you need two DS consoles."

Swolligator

Butcher of the Sands
    Years
    WTF? Makes no sense!

Why wouldn't you just trade the pokemon over?

You would need to upload the pokemon from DPPtHGSS to black and white which needs both gomes to be connected somehow (last gen was through the DS's GAmeboy slot and DS card slot) ergo, both DS's will need to be on for them to be traded over.

Thingula

How do you change this text?
    Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2014

It requires 2 DS systems, says so in the second screenshot.

EDIT: sorry, ill translate: "To play in the 'PokeShifter', you need two DS consoles."

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! I have 5 DS Lites and a DSi, but I don't want to use two DSes

Eyaare

2278-8839-7724
    Years

You would need to upload the pokemon from DPPtHGSS to black and white which needs both gomes to be connected somehow (last gen was through the DS's GAmeboy slot and DS card slot) ergo, both DS's will need to be on for them to be traded over.
    You misunderstand.

I don't mean:
    "I don't get why you need two DS's"

I mean:
    "That is so stupid and useless compared to what the system already does I cannot see any logical reason for game programmers to waste their time creating something such as this."

Back