• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Do you feel more people should get into Nuzlockes?

• Yes

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Jan 23, 2016
    New Concept

After having played some games in nuzlocke mode I was thinking what it would be like to play a game in partial nuzlocke mode. That is when a pokemon faints, rather than it being considered dead, it must be dropped off at the poke centre for a period of recuperation before it can rejoin your team. This may give a new tilt on proceedings. In standard gameplay a player tends to level up a team of only six and thats that. If a player is going to be deprived of one or more team members for a period of time them a player would have to train up several extra pokemon. Also a game would have to be played with more planning and thought, for example you might be advised to explore new areas with a 'scout' party.

What does anyone think? Are there any other ideas of concepts that could enrich gameplay?

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • After having played some games in nuzlocke mode I was thinking what it would be like to play a game in partial nuzlocke mode. That is when a pokemon faints, rather than it being considered dead, it must be dropped off at the poke centre for a period of recuperation before it can rejoin your team. This may give a new tilt on proceedings. In standard gameplay a player tends to level up a team of only six and thats that. If a player is going to be deprived of one or more team members for a period of time them a player would have to train up several extra pokemon. Also a game would have to be played with more planning and thought, for example you might be advised to explore new areas with a 'scout' party.

What does anyone think? Are there any other ideas of concepts that could enrich gameplay?
    Personally, if I had to deposit the Pokemon for a while, I would probably just never use it again so I wouldn't have to bother getting it caught up after the time it sat out. But that's just me. Someone else might want to do this.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I had an unusual idea for a challenge that I thought I'd ask for feedback on.

I don't have a name yet, but the idea is that you could choose any old challenge from the archives, be it one you never completed or just one that always looked interesting to you, post a link to the original challenge, and attempt/finish the challenge. Any thoughts as to whether or not it would work as a thread here? I would be willing to run the thread if there is some interest.

Hmm...I think I'd rather people just remake the challenge entirely, but I definitely see where you're coming from. It would also help those that want to do a dead challenge, but don't want to restart it and have to run it themselves, but then again, that's when you post about it in CI&D and beg someone else to, haha. Though if no one else wanted to make it, then that's where your idea comes in handy.

Were there any challenges you saw that died off that sparked this idea?

Wanderer Miror B.

The user formerly known as Orrefan8888
    Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2017
    One type of challenge that I would personally choose on this type of thread would be one of the Events. I would have liked to do the Stocking Stuffer Challenge, but it would be pretty strange to revive it at the beginning of summer (and probably not allowed).

It also seems that new people (I myself was guilty of this) bring back an old thread not realizing that it was done for, and then are disappointed about now being able to play the challenge. One recent example would be how Kitori's Shiny Hunter Challenge was brought back out of the blue. Although it got revived from the looks of things, reviving a challenge is a lot of work to put in, and I while don't have hard evidence to back this up, I'm sure a lot of good ideas never see the light of day again after dying off.

Some examples of threads that I would try for something like this but probably not revive:
    The Switch-Run https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=314835
    The Rainbow Challenge https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=304663
    The Low-Level Challenge https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=295141
    Weakness Challenge https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=294602
    Event: Stocking Stuffer Challenge https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=292364
    The Drifter Challenge https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=287683
    G/S/C: The Suicide Challenge https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=273234

It should be noted that none of these challenges ever got past more than one page (suggesting a lack of popularity or widespread appeal) except for the aforementioned event, but they look fun or at least intriguing. Threads like these are why I think my idea is needed.

Last edited:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • The way I see it is that you don't have to post to play a challenge. After all, they are self imposed rules. So any of these dead challenges you could just play on your own time, and maybe even give a bit of info in this thread, being as this thread is treated like a standard discussion thread anyway. Talking about a play through you're doing on your own might even spark interest in said challenge and inspire someone to remake it.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • This reminds me of something I tried to get through, but it didn't make it...now that you have posted this though, perhaps I could bring it back up and see what can be done.

Years
    • Seen Jun 4, 2014
    Wow, looking at this forum through the viewpoint of a member makes it look so clean and nice. You guys are lucky you get the clean, pretty, no deleted threads, no unapproved threads ugly version. lol It really does look nice in here.

Does this count as double posting? Ah whatever, I'm too stunned to care.

Wanderer Miror B.

The user formerly known as Orrefan8888
    Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2017
    The way I see it is that you don't have to post to play a challenge. After all, they are self imposed rules. So any of these dead challenges you could just play on your own time, and maybe even give a bit of info in this thread, being as this thread is treated like a standard discussion thread anyway. Talking about a play through you're doing on your own might even spark interest in said challenge and inspire someone to remake it.

You make a valid point, and that's probably what I'll do when I try one of them. Not sure there's much difference between posting here and establishing a thread to encourage others to do the same, though.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    Get Together is a big PC-wide event. There are TONS of events within that you can participate in, including a challenge event that will not be horrible like the 2012 or 2011 ones. :P

Also guys, I went through and updated the supporter tiers in the Index thread, as well as any username changes I was aware of. If you know you have a challenge listed there, please go check your listing to make sure you're the right tier and/or username. Let me know through PM or VM if you need it changed. Thanks!

...not very helpful. where and when?

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
    Years
  • Well I have a, what I think is, a well thought out idea, and it is called the Salvagelocke. This Nuzlocke variant is somewhat of an item limitation, with a few twists, here and there. Why Salvagelocke? Basically because you'll be salvaging all the items you could get :) get it? Well here are the rules:
    Rules:
    1. You can only catch the first encounter, you see in each route/area. If it dies or you run away, you'll have to wait, next encounter.
    2. Once a Pokemon faints, it is considered dead, and may no longer be used for play, unless it is needed for HM purposes.
    3. Each Pokemon must be nicknamed, for bonding purposes.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    New Rules:
    1. When you begin the game, you must use cheats to get a total of 75 DISPOSABLE items maximum(potions, ethers, status healers, etc.), these items MUST be disposable, although there are no restrictions on which variant of these you get(things such as Full Restores, Max Elixirs, Full Heals, are completely allowed)
    2. These 75 disposable items, are the only items you have, meaning no PokeMarts, no merchants, no vendors; they are not permitted, throughout the course of the game.
    3. You may however keep any items, you obtain, via NPC interaction, and items found in the game's maps(aka, items found on the floor)
    4. Referring to #1, held items(such as, Leftovers, Choice items, etc.) are not allowed to be generated at the start of the game. However all berries are allowed. The only way, you may obtain these held items, are via NPC interaction, or simply finding them. You cannot purchase these, by any means.
    5. If a Pokemon is to faint, while holding an item, that item, in question, is to be tossed, no longer used, as the Pokemon that is dead, can no longer be used. Be careful, who you give your important items to.
    6. Each Pokemon, is allowed to be learned only 2(can be changed) moves via TM. Once that 2 is used up, whatever that Pokemon learns, is completely reliant, upon its learnset. So better hope the learnset is good.
    7. Revives, must be tossed, upon obtaining, unless obtained via #8.
    8. Any items, obtained using the ability Pickup, are entirely allowed, yes revives too. Even if the Pokemon with the ability faints, items obtained by it, via its ability, are allowed still, but its currently held item must be omitted, if it were to die.
    9. Tossing items, out of free will, is allowed. But a stupid decision in that.
    10. Any disposable items lost, via Thief, Bug Bite, Incinerate, etc., are lost forever.
    11. If an item must be obtained or bought, in order to progress, it is allowed, for the time being.
    12. There is no limit, on what amount of items, you use during battle and outside of battle.
    13. When generating your items, you cannot have more than 25 of the same item.
    14. You may only use the Pokemon Center 3 times in each town.
    15. Items banned from generation, in the start of the game: Sacred Ash, Revives, Soul Dew, Master Balls, Rare Candies, any sort of pass(ex. Liberty Pass), Held items(such as Leftovers), Stat-Enhancing items(Proteins, Iron, etc.), TMs, HMs, any key items(Bicycle, etc.)
    16. Nuzlocke clauses may come into play.
    17. All rules can be changed to meet personal preferences.

These are any potential questions that may come up. All answers are in bolded text.

Spoiler:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • Well I have a, what I think is, a well thought out idea, and it is called the Salvagelocke. This Nuzlocke variant is somewhat of an item limitation, with a few twists, here and there. Why Salvagelocke? Basically because you'll be salvaging all the items you could get :) get it?
    So from what I gathered reading this, it's basically a Nuzlocke that you start with a limited set of non renewable resources, and a couple of options to gain new items along the way. I have to admit, every time I see a new challenge idea reduced to a Nuzlocke I get a little sad, but I guess this idea is actually built off of Nuzlocke itself.

It's cool, but requiring hacking is usually not a great idea where it can be avoided, as there are players who can't do such. it also seems like it would be more challenging to just limit yourself to items found on the ground. And at that point it becomes something that can be played in Nuzlocke without its own thread.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • This needs some reorganization. Honestly though, I think it would be better to just have a challenge where you can only use items you find or are given and have that added as an optional rule for a regular Nuzlocke, which would mean there would be no need for a thread.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I'd rather people post and get responses in this thread than me see the thread waiting for approval and have to do it that way, honestly. Plus, it gives more room to improve it before submitting and you get more opinions than just mine.

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    I had an idea for a challenge earlier today; I haven't really given it much thought but I'm sure some of y'all could point out flaws and refine it. Basically, every Pokemon in your team would be the same species. However, the twist is that they cannot share any of the same moves. So basically you could see all of the different ways you could use the same Pokemon, such as a special/physical attacker, defensive tank, and/or supporter. One problem would be that in the early part of the game you have limited access to TM's and every member's moveset would be essentially identical. Another foreseeable problem is that some Pokemon may not have wide enough movepools to have a full team of useable individuals.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Reminds me of the Bibarel monospecies I did. I even had the moveset rule and had them all take on different tasks. When did you read my 14 year old mind, Gulpin? :P Anyway, I think that'd be fun! I certainly had fun using Bibarel. ...I think I used it because I realized it could learn SO many things and decided to make a challenge out of it.

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    I guess some Gulpins must also have psychic abilities xD
    I think the trick to avoiding any issues would be picking a Pokemon that has access to enough moves and TM's that are obtainable before the challenge ends. There are certainly plenty of options, but it does limit the total number of options.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I think it would also help to not raise everything all at once. Like with Bibarel, I added one to the team after every badge (or every two as I got further) and that helped. Also, would this be something that requires a full team or maybe something like 4-6?

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

Y'all hearin that? 'Tis my army of Rattata marching! like the idea.

On another note, I'm really looking forward to this year's GT! woot woot! Is the challenge thing gonna be okay with any game? 'cause i'm thinkin of digging up my old GB Color and literally blowing the dust off my Poke Yellow cart.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back