• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Complaints thread

What Odd Egg did you get in Crystal?

• Pichu

Votes: 24 11.4%
  • Igglybuff

Votes: 29 13.7%
  • Cleffa

Votes: 26 12.3%
  • Magby

Votes: 27 12.8%
  • Elekid

Votes: 31 14.7%
  • Smoochum

Votes: 31 14.7%
  • Tyrogue

Votes: 27 12.8%
  • I didn't have Pokemon Crystal.

Votes: 84 39.8%

• Total voters

Weatherman Kiyoshi

~Having one of THOSE days
    Years
    That fact that there was no 50% shiny chance random baby form Egg. :/
    And no ribbon for defeating the Elite 4.
    And no Poke'Radar.
    And the Lottery corner is this "voltorb flip" minesweeper thing. @_@
    And I was always disapointed that you can't buy evolutionary stones in the Celadon Department Store like you could in R/B/G/Y/FR/LG.

But besides that, this is the best Poke'mon game yet in my opinion. X3

Years
    • Seen Jun 29, 2010
    Yeah, well I'm bored of HG/SS already

~64 hours, all 16 badges, beat the Elite 4 the second time. All I have to do now is beat Red.

The game has grown stale for me. I would love to go rebattle gym leaders but they made that a ****ing chore, I have to sit here and make sure to call these guys between certain hours on a certain day. Who knows if I'm even free to use my DS during those hours. Why can't it just limit them to 1-2 battles a week, and I can battle them any time I want? Instead I have to bust my ass to call them during certain hours on certain days, so I can fight them between certain hours on another certain day. If there weren't any guides how the hell would we have figured this out? It's so much of a chore that it isn't even worth it.

The fact that HG/SS uses real world time adds another layer of complications and annoyances to the game. 110 Days to wait for a Bagon to appear in the Safari Zone? Are you kidding me?! What the hell were the devs thinking? Even pokemon that take 20 days to appear is just ridiculous. Why they would use real world time, and not something sped up is beyond me. A day in game should be about 5-6 real world hours.

The game was no challenge to me, this is the first time I can say this for a pokemon game. During Johto I was just flying through the gym leaders like nothing. I died maybe twice through the first 8 badges. Fought the Elite 4 once and failed. So I went out and did some training. Came back for a 2nd shot and whooped their ass. My highest level pokemon was level 46. I figured, hey Kanto must be way harder! I get to Kanto and fight Lt. Surge. I almost died but managed to win the fight. From there on out I swept through the next 7 gym leaders like nothing. It was a joke. One thing that pisses me off is how ****ing easy the trainers are. I would be battling trainers with 1 pokemon level 39-45, while I have 6 pokemon in their mid 50s. Or a guy with 6 pokemon, all level 32. It's a joke! And all the wild pokemon in Kanto are at the same levels as the ones in Johto. How the hell am I supposed to train when the pokemon are level 3?

I really couldn't believe how easy the game was. After Johto the game became really simple. Run to town, battle 5 trainers, get new badge. Repeat 8 times. Then came time for the 2nd round of the Elite 4. Oh goody! An actual challenge! All of my pokemon were under leveled so I was pretty excited... I beat the Elite 4 my first ****ing try and my highest level pokemon was 61! Wow you must be kidding. All of Lance's pokemon were in their 70's (except for 1 level 69) and I still whooped his ass. My level 60 Gyarados and level 59 Dragonite ran through his team. I was expecting to get destroyed since his pokemon are 10+ levels higher than the rest of the Elite 4, nope, still easy as hell.

So now all I have left to do is fight Red, and I don't even want to do that quite frankly. There will be no satisfaction of beating someone whos best pokemon is a Pikachu. HG/SS are a joke IMO. The battle frontier hardly gives you any points for getting on a streak and the A.I. likes to cheat it's ass off. Re battling trainers is a pain in the ass as you can only battle them during certain times, and even then not every trainer will rebattle you. There is also virtually no story in HG/SS. Team Rocket is weak as **** and is hardly even integrated into the game. The final battle was a joke, the guy had like 3 pokemon, a houndour, golbat, and a grimer in their mid 30's while mine were fully evolved in their 40's. Most of the time the game was a mindless grind from one weak trainer to the next. Not once did a random trainer beat me in battle! I couldn't say the same for past games however, I remember them being a lot harder. I also thought the worlds in HG/SS were pretty boring to traverse. Nothing really interesting to look at, or anything interesting going on. Nothing to really adventure. It's almost impossible to get decent training out of the wild pokemon as you won't find one higher than level 45. If you want to train your going to have to mindlessly battle the Elite 4 over and over and over again.

After all is said and done, I'm HIGHLY disappointed with Heart Gold/Soul Silver. I'm not sure why everyone says that Johto is so amazing, I honestly thought R/S/E were a lot better than any of the 2nd Gen games. I'm going to pick up Platinum tomorrow. (never played D/P/Pt)

Season

Garden Gladiator
    Years
    When ever I beat the game I trade the Pokemon I don't want to lose to a different version, then I start over with Pokemon I've never raised before. It makes the game feel new each time. This is my third run through and the first time I've ever had an Apom with me and I ended up loving it.
    Try raising some Pokemon that are statistically weaker, that adds a bit of a challenge too.

Years
    • Seen Jun 29, 2010
    I'm going to start a new game and not use any strong pokemon on my team. I'm going to start out with Chikorita, Pidgey, and Caterpie. That should be a nice challenge.

loliwin

→ Level 69
    Years
    Don't underestimate Red's Pikachu, that Pikachu has crazy Sp. Atk.

And there is always the battle Frontier for hard battles. :D

Mimikyu402

Flareon Master
    Years
    A trainer ingame tells you when the gymleaders are away from the gym, and the leaders themself tells you when you can call them for a rematch

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    ALREADY

You have spent 64 hours on a handheld game and you say you're "already" bored?

Also, I want to point out that the original GSC was ridiculously easy as well. HGSS is probably harder, if anything.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    These are complaints, so merged with the complaints thered, Arcadia:
    ~64 hours, all 16 badges, beat the Elite 4 the second time. All I have to do now is beat Red.

The game has grown stale for me. I would love to go rebattle gym leaders but they made that a ****ing chore, I have to sit here and make sure to call these guys between certain hours on a certain day. Who knows if I'm even free to use my DS during those hours. Why can't it just limit them to 1-2 battles a week, and I can battle them any time I want? Instead I have to bust my ass to call them during certain hours on certain days, so I can fight them between certain hours on another certain day. If there weren't any guides how the hell would we have figured this out? It's so much of a chore that it isn't even worth it. As mentioned, the is someone in game + the gym leaders to tell you this, and note the 'easy' way is to change the time on the DS. Problem solved!

The fact that HG/SS uses real world time adds another layer of complications and annoyances to the game. 110 Days to wait for a Bagon to appear in the Safari Zone? Are you kidding me?! What the hell were the devs thinking? Even pokemon that take 20 days to appear is just ridiculous. Why they would use real world time, and not something sped up is beyond me. A day in game should be about 5-6 real world hours. To be fair the real-time feature would have to be in as GSC featured real-time stuff and all. But I do agree the safari-zone stuff is rather slow, but I suppose it's the trade-off for having so many Pokemon available in 2nd-gn remakes - it means waiting a while.

The game was no challenge to me, this is the first time I can say this for a pokemon game. During Johto I was just flying through the gym leaders like nothing. I died maybe twice through the first 8 badges. Fought the Elite 4 once and failed. So I went out and did some training. Came back for a 2nd shot and whooped their ass. My highest level pokemon was level 46. I figured, hey Kanto must be way harder! I get to Kanto and fight Lt. Surge. I almost died but managed to win the fight. From there on out I swept through the next 7 gym leaders like nothing. It was a joke. One thing that pisses me off is how ****ing easy the trainers are. I would be battling trainers with 1 pokemon level 39-45, while I have 6 pokemon in their mid 50s. Or a guy with 6 pokemon, all level 32. It's a joke! And all the wild pokemon in Kanto are at the same levels as the ones in Johto. How the hell am I supposed to train when the pokemon are level 3? Then go with a challenging team. =) There's all sort of ways you can do that - go with a monotype team, unevolved Pokemon, even a Nuzlocke challenge which means no/limited healing allowed. And after all games are meant at kids so after a while of playing Pokemon, one tends to get good at it. =P Also there's the Battle Frontier - that can be challenging to complete fully.

After all is said and done, I'm HIGHLY disappointed with Heart Gold/Soul Silver. I'm not sure why everyone says that Johto is so amazing, I honestly thought R/S/E were a lot better than any of the 2nd Gen games. I'm going to pick up Platinum tomorrow. (never played D/P/Pt) Each to his-her own though. But if you expect challenge from the in-game alone (not counting battle frontier, etc) from a Pokemon game when you go around with powerhouses like Gyarados and Dragonite consideringt he games are mant to be played by kids as well... you may be expecting a bit too much at that level is all. =P
    Blah blah my thoughts made in bold.

Years
    • Seen Jun 29, 2010
    ALREADY

You have spent 64 hours on a handheld game and you say you're "already" bored?

Also, I want to point out that the original GSC was ridiculously easy as well. HGSS is probably harder, if anything.

LOL this was my first pokemon game in 6 years, you know, I was a little excited to play it.

!?

Akitakeshi
    Years
    • Seen May 25, 2010
    The Voltorb flip game and the evil PokeGear phone.
    Those are my only complaints.

Years
    New Game Corner/Voltorb Flip. Who says slot machines encourage gambling? You didn't care about that when we were kids! D:

Oh and also random callers. I don't care about your effing Rattata, Joey! -.-'

My thoughts exactly. Voltorb Flip annoys me to no end, it's like a ripoff of Minesweeper...

and Joey calls me WAY too often about his Rattata. No Joey, it's NOT different from other Rattata. That's why I pwned you. :P

Kavii

forever my furret
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2015
    Maybe it's because I started out with Chikorita and maybe it's also because this is my first time playing a Pokemon game, ever, but...

My biggest complaint was the lack of helpful information in my game manual. Nothing about type advantages or disadvantages or really, any useful information at all.

Obviously there's the internet, but...

*shrugs*

When you're a newbie and you have no experience with the movesets, type advantages and disadvantages, and all the other things, the game can be pretty engaging and even challenging. A Chikorita against bugs like Scyther? YIKES! Suffice to say, Bugsy was a definite challenge for me.

As I learn and grow in my knowledge, the game gets easier as I learn how to strategize, but it's certainly not too easy.

A bit repetitive with the level grinding, but not too easy.

Clefairies

I'm always chasing rainbows.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2016
    This is really my only complaint with HG/SS (stated by many before no doubt.)

The New Menu System
    I seriously dislike how the menu system is set out, I much preferred the set out on D/P (not sure if it's the same on Platinum, I ordered a copy the other day though)

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2011
    - The grass, ew. I like the tall grass. It looks like tall grass.
    - The little holes in the grass. Makes it look more like real grass.
    - The fact that the dowsing machine is... idk, I preferred itemfinder though probably because I misplaced my stylus and I have to use my finger. Not a big deal.
    - No grass patch before Sudowoodo tree. So?
    - The gyms, omg, I hate the gyms so much, they're so hard to get through, (Whitney, Bugsy, Pryce, Claire, Blue, Surge -- yes I'm aware it's the same but I hate it and Erika being examples of this.) The Gyms are suppose to be hard.
    - The fact that you need so many repels because there are just so many wild pkmn. It's not that bad.
    - The pokeflute channel would be so much better if it was one of the 4 options and you didn't have to search for it. I actually agree with this, but it's not to hard to find if you are not a button masher, and actually read the text.
    - Suicune's location and the fact that the clear bell has lost its importance. So? Nostalgia is a stupid thing.
    - Ho-Oh's tower thingie was a disappointment, although Lugia's cave thing was omfg awesome. Wasn't Ho-oh's tower the same as in G/S/C. I haven't been to Lugia yet, so I don't know.
    - The fact that in certain places Pokemon just repeat emotions when talking to them. This was their first time. It takes a bit to figure out how to make it more real.
    - Apricorns being everywhere as opposed to berries. I agree.
    - The photographer, it's interesting to find him... just kind of annoying. How is he annoying?
    - Lage of Rage, omg ruined imo. I hate how it's like a water puzzle... I dunno, I preferred how it looked before. So? The flooding makes it more natural.
    - Battle Frontier - haven't played games with the BF in it before and to me it's kinda... pointless, I miss the battle tower thing it had in the past. It should've been different than the Sinnoh one, but to maintain compatibility blah blah blah.
    - Safari Zone - I like the area leading up to it, but it still seems kinda far away and the Pokemon are harder to catch than in other Safari Zone's. No. I disagree they are easier!
    - Too many rare candies, I dunno, I love rare candies but it seemed as if there were a lot more than there were in other games. I mean, somewhere you could even buy them (Or was that nuggets? Probably both.) Yeah, too many nuggets too. Eh, I just sold any rare candies I found.
    - Ilex Forest... just seemed like updated graphics, not much has changed besides the stupid stick thing, much easier in the past. So? It is suppose to be the same.
    - Underleveled wild Pokemon. 2 regions = underleveled Pokemon. If they had level 60 Pokemon by the Elite Four by the end of Kanto all Pokemon would be level 100, and if you are talking about Kanto wild Pokemon, why would all the wild Pokemon suddenly gain 70 levels in three years?
    - Mt Silver is weird, it reminds me of Sinnoh by having the snow and such, original Mt Silver was better. I disagree. It makes it seem more like a real mountain.
    - The inclusion of Sinnoh Pokemon. I would've preferred Johto/Kanto only Pokemon, but meh. I have nothing against Hoenn Pokemon though. I agree. When I saw that swimmer in front of the Seafoam Islands having a Bidoof. I literally threw my DS across the room just like I said I would if I saw that effin' bevear and his older form.
    - Victory Road... seems kinda small when compared to Hoenn's. Same size as the original.
    - An Indigo Plateau like R/B/Y's would've been nice. So?
    - Would've been nice if this game was set AFTER Gold/Silver, so that Cinnabar could've been remade, oh well Why would remakes be made after the games they are being remade of?
    - Saffron, meh, not much has changed there, could've improved on it. So?[/FONT]

My comments are in bold above.

Maybe it's because I started out with Chikorita and maybe it's also because this is my first time playing a Pokemon game, ever, but...

My biggest complaint was the lack of helpful information in my game manual. Nothing about type advantages or disadvantages or really, any useful information at all.

Obviously there's the internet, but...

*shrugs*

When you're a newbie and you have no experience with the movesets, type advantages and disadvantages, and all the other things, the game can be pretty engaging and even challenging. A Chikorita against bugs like Scyther? YIKES! Suffice to say, Bugsy was a definite challenge for me.

As I learn and grow in my knowledge, the game gets easier as I learn how to strategize, but it's certainly not too easy.

I started with Pokemon Red when I was four or five. I didn't know anything of advantages. I didn't have the internet either, so that wasn't a resource. How I learned to play the game was through practice and the anime. Because of Brock and his Geodude and Onix I still sometimes think that Rock isn't effected by electricity. Then I learned that the Ground part was what was causing that. Man, was I shocked.

Last edited:

M O M U S U

Fail-safe
    Years
    Let's see... where to begin?

1. They replaced Kris with Lyra, some stupid girl who thinks you want to be her boyfriend and treats you like you're five years old.

2. TOO EASY

3. Not as long as I thought it would be

4. The room items are gone, your mom spends your hard-earned cash on useless junk. Instead of getting a huge Snorlax doll or a Nintendo 64 for your room at home, you now get... useless berries? What the hell kind of substitution is that anyway?

5. While the game is mostly easy and short, one part seems to go on forever unless you have an all-Ice team... the Lance battle. Really, they outdid themselves on this part. Truly challenging. And extremely frustrating.

I have more but I think this is quite enough.

Back