• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Complaints thread

What Odd Egg did you get in Crystal?

• Pichu

Votes: 24 11.4%
  • Igglybuff

Votes: 29 13.7%
  • Cleffa

Votes: 26 12.3%
  • Magby

Votes: 27 12.8%
  • Elekid

Votes: 31 14.7%
  • Smoochum

Votes: 31 14.7%
  • Tyrogue

Votes: 27 12.8%
  • I didn't have Pokemon Crystal.

Votes: 84 39.8%

• Total voters

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
    It's been said before that it was stupid of them to take out the slot machines because it encourages gambling, but I just thought of how stupid it is today.

They take that out, yet if you think about it every battle with a trainer is gambling. If you win, they have to give you money. If you lose, you faint and somehow throw money at them.

>_<

Erin

Exceptionally Adequate
    Years
    • Age 32
    • SA
    • Seen Nov 14, 2010
    It's been said before that it was stupid of them to take out the slot machines because it encourages gambling, but I just thought of how stupid it is today.

They take that out, yet if you think about it every battle with a trainer is gambling. If you win, they have to give you money. If you lose, you faint and somehow throw money at them.

This.

People talk about how bad gambling is && how it was necessary to take it out of the game.

Yet really, Voltorb Flip && the other games in the Game Corners are just as much a form of gambling as the slots were. People make && take bets all the time--- gambling. People maintain stock portfolios--- technically a form of gentleman's gambling. In fact, any action that has collateral && undetermined results is a form of gambling.

People need to chill out so I can line up those 7s && get another Dratini. =PP

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2010
    Change, we can not believe in.

Thankyou Nintendo, another pokemon game which hasn't changed since red and blue. 14 years ago you released an amazing game, I played it on the toilet it was that good. BUT it was good for a reason, it was new it was somthing which hadn't been done mainstream wise ever before. They were Best selling RPG of all time!

So here we have heart gold and soul silver, nothing new at all. ZOMG your pokemon can walk with you! no, pikachu could do that in the pokemon yellow the code for this has been around for 13 YEARS! why did it take you so long to realise this was what people wanted. Once again theyve changed the backpack mechanics for the fifth time and its so more useable now.......... the gfx are exactly the same as pearl and diamond, the animations are the same. I get the fact that re doing gold and silver will get you a bit more money and that it required you to pee against a wall to code it but please, change somthing!

I am not a hater, pokemon in the early days was great, there was a sensible amount of pokemon and it looked like red and blue were the start of somthing amazing. But no, Nintendo have kept to the 'what isnt broken dont fix' attitude to software. Pokemon Stadium was the rite way, this coupled with the gameboy mechincs would of been the best selling game in history, bigger than wow, instead we get shoveled the same game engine with the same mechanics.

Please Nintendo just die and give pokemon to a developer who will treat this franchise with the respect it deserves.

(all responses welcome, it will help me go to sleep knowing if the current fanbase has completely lost it or there are a few sane ppl out ther.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    Merged your complaint on HG/SS (and I guess, every other Pokémon game other than RBY) here.

If I must say though, the reason why HeartGold and SoulSilver's graphic layout was the same as DPPt, is because they are of the same generation. Meaning HG/SS shared the same system or platform as DPPt did.

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
    Years
    Thankyou Nintendo, another pokemon game which hasn't changed since red and blue. 14 years ago you released an amazing game, I played it on the toilet it was that good. BUT it was good for a reason, it was new it was somthing which hadn't been done mainstream wise ever before. They were Best selling RPG of all time!

So here we have heart gold and soul silver, nothing new at all. ZOMG your pokemon can walk with you! no, pikachu could do that in the pokemon yellow the code for this has been around for 13 YEARS! why did it take you so long to realise this was what people wanted. Once again theyve changed the backpack mechanics for the fifth time and its so more useable now.......... the gfx are exactly the same as pearl and diamond, the animations are the same. I get the fact that re doing gold and silver will get you a bit more money and that it required you to pee against a wall to code it but please, change somthing!

I am not a hater, pokemon in the early days was great, there was a sensible amount of pokemon and it looked like red and blue were the start of somthing amazing. But no, Nintendo have kept to the 'what isnt broken dont fix' attitude to software. Pokemon Stadium was the rite way, this coupled with the gameboy mechincs would of been the best selling game in history, bigger than wow, instead we get shoveled the same game engine with the same mechanics.

Please Nintendo just die and give pokemon to a developer who will treat this franchise with the respect it deserves.

(all responses welcome, it will help me go to sleep knowing if the current fanbase has completely lost it or there are a few sane ppl out ther.

Wow. Something there went right over your head, didn't it?

Welcome to generation four. Yes, the HG/SS graphics are super-similar and in some cases exactly the same as D/P/Pt, but that's because it's the same generation. Same level of development across the board.
    The game has not changed in plot since the beginning, because without the structure of defeating-gym-leaders-win-league-defeat-bad-guys, it couldn't be called a Pokémon game. It's not the overall view that most people look at though; it's the detail. The new NPCs, the new little points of interest, the new Pokémon designs and the new look and feel of the game. Sure, it's a rinse and repeat plot, but it's what's inside that counts, my friend.

Sure, the Walking Pokémon code has been around since Yellow, but what other game before could accomodate the walking sprites for nearly 500 Pokémon? What other game before had enough memory and programming to add this little quirk for the masses?

Try not to look at what's the same - look at what's different; what's new; what's fresh. Then, and only then, will you see the true nature of Pokémon.

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
    If I must say though, the reason why HeartGold and SoulSilver's graphic layout was the same as DPPt, is because they are of the same generation. Meaning HG/SS shared the same system or platform as DPPt did.
    Yeah, this. DPPt and HG/SS share graphics in the same way that RSE and FR/LG shared graphics. The former two are on the DS while the latter were for the GBA.

ZOMG your pokemon can walk with you! no, pikachu could do that in the pokemon yellow the code for this has been around for 13 YEARS! why did it take you so long to realise this was what people wanted.
    How can you be so sure that's what people really wanted? Yeah, there are people that liked that aspect, there are others who hated it, and there's another sub-group that couldn't care less.

Arguments like this end up making a huge circle. If they simply re-released Gold and Silver for the DS, changing absolutely nothing but the cartridge it came in, people would complain that it wasn't "modern" or "updated" enough. Meanwhile, other people think that it was updated too much and lost the original feel that the GB games had. That's the problem with such a popular franchise, there will always be people that don't like certain aspects, and unfortunately it's nearly impossible to make everybody happy.

Charizard3

Champion
    Years
    The Pc system is terrible. why cant u just take a pokemon and drag it to each box. you have to put it at the top then select which box to put it in then drag it over htere then place it. it is quicker to just release the pokemon (id never do that though)

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    On top of the other things, do not that it's not Nintendo making the games - they just approve them and hav them on their systems and all that jazz. Game Freak made R/B/Y and all the other main handheld games including HGSS so its them that made them, not Nintendo. =P

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years
    Japanese Game Corner

I just found out today that the reason HG/SS's Game Corner sucks is because "slots encourage childhood gambling". It's been in all the other games without a problem! It gets worse! (or better depending on where you live) The Japanese versions of the game have complete Game Corners! Slots and everything! D/P/Pt's slots? No! Updated, new, better slots! I'm pissed and ready to download the Japanese versions on an emulator just for their epic Game Corners! Any other opinions?

Dmatt

Medium-Rare Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    all I could say is they really blew it with the GC this time... Awful. Really.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 13, 2011
    I wouldn't car eonly for the fact that you can't buy the coins either. It's like impossible to get 1200 coins playing Volrob flip, let alone 500.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    Merged your argument based on the Japanese Game Corner vs. the new Game Corner everywhere outside of Japan here in the Complaints Thread.

I would like to say however, that the new game they replaced the game slots for, the Voltorb Flip, isn't all that bad. Seeing as I wasn't all too great with the Game Corner's game slots in the first place, I don't actually miss them. Much less, I rarely even went inside of them unless bored. So, I actually enjoy the new Game Corner with its new mini-game concept. If I ever feel the urge to go pull some slots, I'd just boot up DPPt for that.

Years
    The Pc system is terrible. why cant u just take a pokemon and drag it to each box. you have to put it at the top then select which box to put it in then drag it over htere then place it. it is quicker to just release the pokemon (id never do that though)

^ This

There was nothing wrong at all with the DPPt system. Honestly, if this keeps up in future generations I'm probably just gonna stick to having 6 pokemon per game tops...

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years
    "you know what really grinds my gears?"

Hey haven't seen one of these up so I thought I would make one so the point is to post your disappointments with HG/SS

So mine is when I was on my way out of Ilex I went and got headbut taught to my mareep used it on one of the trees right beside the headbut guy and found a level 8 Noctowl and was a little confused here I thought hoothoot evolved at level 20 but gamefreak decided to put some low leveled ones in the trees why I guess so they can K.O your bellsprout I have more moments like this but don't want to type them all up

so Its your turn PC what in HG/SS grinds your gears?
    Complaints thread

Last edited:

Beloved

Fictionally Destructive
    Years
    Mine is trying to find a frickin Japanese Magikarp on the GTS. Why? Because you get people who want lvl 100s for a lvl 1! And then there are the Legendaries that are always requested! It never fails!

And another thing: I got a Shiny Event Eevee from the VGC, but it didn't add Eevee to my Pokedex!

Alexeon

← from acrøss T·I·M·E ☆
    Years
    Hmm I don't like how, despite how much faster it is to do various tasks thanks to the redesigned game interfaces and how they incorporate the touch-screen more, there are a lot of occasions when the game manages to slow you down with unneeded prompts and dialogue.

In particular, I breed a lot, and in D/P/Pt, the Pokétch's Day Care Checker App made it so easy to know when an egg was available. In HG/SS, though, we have to rely on an old man's phone call. Not only does this call not always come soon enough after an egg appears, but if I begin to doubt him and check with him in-person to see if there is one, only to find out there isn't, I'll get into a long discussion about how he gives me the option to call me when an egg is available. It doesn't seem like such a problem, but when you're hatching several dozen eggs, you don't want to be slowed down by a conversation about whether or not you want him to use the phone. -_-

Just seems like they could have handled it a different way. Perhaps actually calling him to turn the option on/off...Or maybe I'm just spoiled by the awesome-ness of the Pokétch. xD

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
    THE PC STORAGE SYSTEM. :cer_pissed:

I like that it's on the touch screen so you don't have to rely on using the buttons to move everything, but it's so slow and takes a lot longer than the one in Platinum.

Years
    PokeGear.

I like it for important things, like Prof. Oak, Kurt, Prof. Elm, Gym Leaders etc.

But every frikkin trainer? srsly? I would've prefered a Vs. Seeker alongside it. Red has one in this, if you look closely, although it's probably just an Fr/Lg reference.

blue

gucci
    Years
    Hail during batteling Red, I don't see the point in Hail, it makes the battle so much longer. Also, random calls like people chatting to you, they should just call if they want to battle.

Back