• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen D/P/Pt is the worst of all the Generations

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2012
    I actually didn't like Gen IV as much as Gen III (Mainly because Emerald was my favorite Pokemon game to date)... It's also not the worst Pokemon Gen, I miss being able to go underwater and the water routes, and the Battle Frontier was a bit "fail" compared to the awesomeness that Emerald had.

But these are just opinions, each to his own I guess...

Years
  • in terms of the pokeomon themselves gen 4 was the worst. generation 1 was the best, slightly better than gen 2 and gen3 was a lot better than 4.

however in terms of the games i liked pearl/plat the best (probably cause that was the first rpg pokemon game i played). I liked red more than saphire and i never played silver/gold. yet.

I think that every generation has gotten slightly worse as they kept going. i like gen 3 pokemon a lot more than 4.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • For pokemon...

I'll agree that a good amount of them are not as impressive looking as other generations (Bidoof, starly and ugh... magazone) but some looked pretty impressive in my opinion (Floatzel, Staraptor, Gallade, luxray) and some even scared me (Yanmega... that thing STILL freaks me out) while some of them were kinda impressive but were just missing something (Magmortar mainly) whilse some just plain weird... (Ambipom... lets just say that when you've been smoking pot the 'fingers' on the 'hands' look like something else)

For the spec/phsy split

Its better this way. Much more simplified system that is a lot easier to understand.

story line

Truthfully i found the fact that all the gg's had blue hair to be kinda weird... and then their is jupiters clothing that kinda had my mind going to other places.

gym leaders/e4

*points 6 posts up*
    Eat your words?

water routes

Good point but then again neither did g/s/c/r/b/y... and for some reason i don't think many people complained about that.

Other stuff

Truthfully i hated most of the music in d/p/pt but their were a few good ones (I LOVE the sailor music.)

The evolution system leaves much to be desired though. I kinda don't like having to know a certian move to be able to evolve something. Nor do i like eevee's evolution into leafeon... Why couldn't they have just used a leaf stone? and a dawn stone for glacieon?

Now as for evolutions in general i kinda like the fact that they have completed the evolution chains for a few more pokemon. Personally i think Porogon Z looks like its smoking crack but still...

Azzurra

Banned
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 3, 2013
    Aw, come on. The story may be a little farfetched and overused, but the amount of good Pokemon and techniques added helps outweigh the negatives.

.Busou Kihaku.

私は神で取る!
    Years
  • 1) The 4th Gen Pokemon are the most rush and uncreative Go ahead and try making up 150 new Pokémon.
    2) The Physical-Special split I liked it, and the fact that you hate it doesn't mean it's bad at all.
    3) The story line with Team Galactic and such was too over the top Over the top? It was epic, you don't know how to apreciate good stuff.
    4) The Gym Leaders and E4 were way too easy The level gap between this generation and the others is big, Sinnoh has Gym Pokémon's level 10 levels higher than any of the other generations.
    5) The Sinnoh region doesn't have many Water routes Who cares? Water type Pokémon suck anyway.

inb4you'reanidiot.

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
    Years
  • This is just my opinion if you disagree state why so.

Reasons DPPt sucked:
    1) The 4th Gen Pokemon are the most rush and uncreative
    2) The Physical-Special split
    3) The story line with Team Galactic and such was too over the top
    4) The Gym Leaders and E4 were way too easy
    5) The Sinnoh region doesn't have many Water routes
    I respectfully disagree.

1) While I don't like some of the 4th Gen Pokemon(Magmortar, Darkrai, and Infernape hit the top of my dislike list fairly quickly.), there were also some very interesting ones such as Rotom, Drifloon, and Gliscor. With the addition of 107 new Pokemon, you can't say that ALL of the 4th Generation of Pokemon are uncreative.
    2) I really don't see the problem with the Physical-Special split save for the fact that you can't generalize every attack anymore, which may be more of a plus anyhow.
    3) The Team Galactic storyline was a bit strange, but I really didn't like Teams Aqua and Magma, either. Team Rocket was definitely my favorite group of villains, and I wish they had permeated the Sinnoh and Hoenn regions, if only as cameos.
    4) I can't really respond to this one as I'm a poor judge of difficulty levels. Since I tend to avoid wild Pokemon(I take one step into the grass -BAM- Wild Pokemon! Another step, -BAM-, etc.) all of my Pokemon were underleveled before each gym and I had to go back a little ways to grind.
    5) I believe this to be a breath of fresh air after the waterlogged Hoenn region. Especially when HeartGold and Soulsilver included enough water routes to make up for the initial shortage in 4th gen. Besides, there are way too many water-type Pokemon as is.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    This is just my opinion if you disagree state why so.

Reasons DPPt sucked:

Obvious troll is- wait? Opinion? That's new.

What I liked about 4th Gen, completely honest, in order:
    1) The design of many of the 4th Gen Pokemon, especially the legendaries.
    2) The Physical-Special split added more depth to the game.
    3) The storyline with Team Galactic was a bit edgier than 3rd Gens. Very cool.
    4) The game was balanced with decent level progression, especially in Platinum.
    5) The Sinnoh region doesn't have many water routes.

ThwackX

I dont exist.
    Years
  • 1) Agree, some of the pokemon are just... ugh.

2) Disagree, I think the split was good, Eg. Gengars STAB shadow ball in Gen I to III made the move pretty useless. Besides, common sense thought shadow ball was a special attack anyway.

3) Meh, i didnt mind the stoyline.

4) Quite the opposite, i found the Leaders and E4 harder than Gens I to III

5) idc, the less water routes, the less annoying the game is T_T

Years
    • ?
    • Seen Aug 16, 2014
    This is just my opinion if you disagree state why so.

Reasons DPPt sucked:
    DPP wasnt that bad.
    1) Its the same with the third generation - they created handful of cool Pokemon, and a hundred of 'Dunsparces'. Some of them are really cool - the starters, Garchomp, Giratina, Dusknoir... - while most are simply retarded - we seriously didnt need things like Lopunny, Pachirisu...

2) You must keep in mind how the game changed from gen to gen. The RBY to GSC transition was huge, with the addition of many new game mechanics and held items, which leaded the game to a Stall-ish pace. GSC to RSE improved the customization and training with EV's and natures, and with more powerful stat-up moves (namely Dragon Dance and Calm Mind), which made the game pace a bit faster; however, Balance and Stall were still a bit more succesful in RSE than pure offense.
    DPP needed something to differentiate it from the previous generations, and what did so was the physical/special split. Allied with powerful offensive Pokemon (and with Platinum's widespread powerful moves), this made Offense much more viable (and perhaps more rewarding) in DPP than it was before. So I dont think it was bad - it made DPP unique, and I liked that.

3) It's not like Team Magma/Team Aqua had reasonable storylines either xD

4) But that's what the rematches are for (on Plat, at least). I do think the rematches were well level'ed, allowing for some good late game training.
    And if you think about it, Johto had the easiest Elite 4 ever. (yet the coolest one)

5) This one I gotta agree with. Not like Hoenn, though (Hoenn was the worst region imo), but it sure needed mre of those. Maybe they could have added a Surf-able path near Fullmoon/Newmoon/Iron Islands or something. Thankfully, Johto and Kanto have enough of those, so I'm looking for HG/SS.

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years

Reasons DPPt sucked:

1) Like other people said , some PKMN were cool some not . I really loved Gallade , Rypherior , Electivire and Magmortar , but Lickylicky and Probopass , Ambipom .... just NO ! (Bidoof ..........)
    2) This saved the life of Pokemon like Gengar !
    3) Yes , it was pretty weirda and these grunts didn't know what they were doing . The Commanders were pretty weird too , except for Saturn . Saturn OBVIOUSLY knew what he was doing ! And Cyrus had a badass personality ...
    4) Compensates flooded Hoenn !

All in all , Gen IV had good and bad points . Like most games out there , am I right ?

Cheyanne

I have Yusei Fudo's Zorua.
    Years

I believe RBE sucked the most...the Pokemon look stupid and none are really intresting, save the legendary dragons(Latios/Latias and Rayquaza) and maybe Absol. Introducing stupid tall grass you can't go fast through.

PDPM had many cool Pokemon!

1)Skuntank
    2)Giratina
    3)Arceus
    4)Hippowdon
    5)Purugly
    6)Bastiodon
    7) All of the starters, though I don't really like Monkies.
    8)Garchomp
    9)Luxray

I thought the Team Galactic were very good to train on, much better than having to stay in the grass the whole time.

I don't like water routes....they are heavily annoying. Unless I guess you're a water trainer?

The split is a plus, it's one of the best pluses :s

Years
  • I agree that this is the worst game in the Pokémon series (not saying I hate it, because I don`t), but then again, I don`t think many games are ever as good as their ancient predecessors. But I did quite enjoy the story, and found the game fairly challenging. I do agree that the Pokémon in this generation aren`t as creative as before (other than legendaries and Lucario). Regarding the water routes, Kanto had the same amount of them, just so you know.

Demigod

umop ap!sdn
    Years
  • Kanto - awesome
    Johto - awesome
    Hoenn - MEH, it barely is good anime is sometime boring but its still ok
    Sinnoh - not rlly good.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I thought the same thing until I played Platinum.. somehow that game totally changed my opinion of that generation as a whole. >_> Still, even though I had fun times playing through it, I guess I can say that it's still my least favorite in comparison. Then again, this is coming from someone who's favorite generation was R/S/E, and a lot of people dislike that one the most, so.. xD

Editman

Pokemon Collector
    Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2014
    I disagree entirely, Generation 3 was the worst.

Tooo many Legendary pokemon, easy gym leaders. I especially found the starter pokemon to be rather boring. The Elite four was tough but it's still meh for me

Akeraz

Winning is Magic
    Years

Reasons DPPt sucked:

1 - Fourth generation Pokémon weren't "uncreative" at all.
    The only ones that were cringe-worthy were evolutions of previous pokémon, And the legendaries.
    Other than that, I think the creative standard of the pokémon in 4th gen was decent.
    2 - The Physical/Special Split had to happen. If you don't like it, tough.
    The fact is, it makes more sense. Moves like shadow ball were obviously meant to be special, as anyone with any amount of common sense would realise.
    3 - Nobody plays pokémon for storyline, anyway. I'll say that the storyline was decent, and leave it at that.
    4 - With some of the highest level gaps in a Pokémon game to date, I'm afraid I have to disagree.
    Gym leaders also packed alot of tough pokémon. God knows I struggled with Gardenia's Roserade the first time I played Diamond.
    5 - Water routes = bad. After R/S/E, I'd had enough of them. They lack any real creativity, and looking at blue for the last two to three hours of gameplay is not my idea of fun.

I'd have to say Gen 3 is the worst.
    It's pokemon are the ones that feel the least like pokémon to me.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    1 - Like always, there were some really good Pokemon, and some not so good.
    2 - In what way is that bad? I mean, it just makes sense. It's not like they switched every move over.
    3 - I thought it was very interesting and believable. They had to put time into it, unlike Rocket's boring goals, and how Aqua / Magma apparently never thought about the consequences and reformed.
    4 - The elite four in Platinum is hard, and there are some tough Leaders too. It is all based on what Pokemon you're using. Gardenia would be hard with a team of Geodude and Onix.
    5 - I always hated Water routes...

Also, several of the things you mentioned could be said about GSC, all but two. Yet, Johto is everyone's favorite region.

Maco

learning the ropes...
    Years
  • I did get the feeling that they were running out of animals in nature to base new pokemon on though. Pokemon like Starly, Pachiurisu and Bidoof felt unoriginal to me.

Definitely not the worst generation though. I would say the FR/LG remakes were the worst, but not by much. All the pokemon games are pretty good

Back