• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Danga Ronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc!

Years
  • I'm probably going to pick this up and play it over the spring break, along with couple other games on my backlog already.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • I had never heard of this game until I heard Patrick talking about it on Giant Bomb last week, but it sounds...really weird and interesting. Drew some Ace Attorney comparisons, which piqued my interest a bit (even though I only played one game in that series). I may have to pick it up at some point since my Vita really needs some love.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • Well... Dangan is pretty much Ace Attorney meeting Zero Escape so the comparisons are right on track =D
    I never played 999 or Zero Escape, so I really have nothing to go on there. They're games that I've wanted to try, but never got around to it and then they got fairly hard to find. I'm not too big on the visual novel style games, but this looks quirky enough (maybe even too much so, haha) that I want to give it a try at some point.

Years
  • I think $40 is simply too much, and that's what's been holding me off from getting this game now, so I'm holding out for some sort of a sale or a price drop in the near future (maybe couple months will do it?). Contrary to what I have said earlier I probably won't play it during the spring break, nonetheless I'm looking forward to the experience, even though I've been spoiled a bit here and there.

Scandalice

now known as Sukyandaru
    Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2015
    I really want to get a Vita and this game some time, since I really enjoyed the anime for this. Hopefully I can get them once the Vita's price goes down and/or more games I want come out~

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • I never played 999 or Zero Escape, so I really have nothing to go on there. They're games that I've wanted to try, but never got around to it and then they got fairly hard to find. I'm not too big on the visual novel style games, but this looks quirky enough (maybe even too much so, haha) that I want to give it a try at some point.
    Then you should totally play them ;) Dangan is also VN-style game by the way ;)
    You can just emulate 999 and buy VLR (we need all the money fans they can give so producers can do 3rd game =D) =D
    I must confess that I bought Vita for Virtue's Last Reward :) Not for Persona 4 Golden, not for anything else, simply for Virtue's Last Reward =)

Years

• Then you should totally play them ;) Dangan is also VN-style game by the way ;)
    You can just emulate 999 and buy VLR (we need all the money fans they can give so producers can do 3rd game =D) =D
    I must confess that I bought Vita for Virtue's Last Reward :) Not for Persona 4 Golden, not for anything else, simply for Virtue's Last Reward =)

Isn't Virtue's Last Reward available for 3DS as well?

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Isn't Virtue's Last Reward available for 3DS as well?
    Yeah, and it would have been the better choice considering it's significantly cheaper, doesn't have overpriced memory cards and just has a better library as a whole.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Got the game. Let's see how it fares against Ace Attorney and Zero Escape.

Also this is my first actual physical Vita game purchase since Ryaman Origins on 2012. lol

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    In the middle of chapter 3, impressions so far...

Honestly my feelings are very mixed in this one, mostly on the negative side because chapter 2 was really, really stupid especially after how promising chapter 1 was. There's literally nothing remotely similar to 999 (Have not played Virtue's Last Reward yet) so I don't see any Zero Escape resemblance, but what I can compare it to is Ace Attorney. I can safely say Ace Attorney is much better on the gameplay side.

Class trial is really dumb. I set the logic to mean, but all that does is give you more truth bullets when it's obvious which one of them is actually related to the topic at hand. I set the action to medium and I'm honestly thinking of setting it to gentle because they keep adding more and more convoluted stuff on top, which doesn't even make it any more difficult at all. It's literally a waste of time playing these mini games, and every little thing they keep adding is an annoyance. Not hard, but annoying. Things get complicated rather quickly for absolutely no reason whatsoever. The case practically plays itself anyway. In Ace Attorney, the challenge is to actually solve the case your own, where you present evidence at the right statement in the right time, which actually takes a bit of thinking.

In terms of the plot and such one thing the game does better than Ace Attorney is that it actually tenses the player up and immerses them into the mystery. However, this is all in naught when the mysteries revealed actually end up completely obvious and underwhelming. Chapter 2 had too many bait and switch that I called before they happened.
    Spoiler:

Overall it's unfair to judge the game entirely over one chapter, and honestly I'm judging that one case itself mostly instead of the game. Chapter 3 is starting out promising so I got hope because there are still a lot of things to like about the game. After all, the only Ace Attorney with a strong first two cases was Ace Attorney 3, though I can't think of ONE Ace Attorney with a stupid case 2 like that.

EDIT: Oh man I sound very negative. I'm actually liking the game, but the writing is REALLY iffy.
    So I'll just say that the voice acting is top notch.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Despite your issues with the game, I'm glad you seem to like it to some extent. I have to agree that Chapter 2 was kind of a weak chapter. But it gets better as you go on, imo.

Funny thing about Chapter 2 was that I did not figure out anything until the characters did, or all of like 5 seconds before they did. Except for
    Spoiler:
    . That I picked up on early enough. Chapter 3 I found easier to figure out who the killer was; it seemed pretty obvious to me (I hadn't figured out all the details ahead of time, but I figured out more than I ever really had in Dangan Ronpa, I think). We'll see what you think.

Also, do have any favorite characters at the moment?

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Yeah chapter 3 is murder mystery the way I like it so far. I have two suspects in regards to this case right now, but I only just found the murder.
    Just in case I'll announce my two suspects.
    Spoiler:

When I started the game it was Kiyotaka but he's a huge wasted potential. He's one of these characters, like Toko and Hifumi, where their shtick was basically their whole character. He's not bad as Toko but he wasn't well developed at all.

Sakura and Aoi are my favorite as of now, these two surprised me. Celeste was a surprise as well and I like her...so far.

EDIT: A certain suspect just got more suspicious, the game won't fool me.

Last edited:

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • I agree about chapter 2 being pretty bad.
    Spoiler:

But I would say it was because writers had to announce many new mechanics... well... it had to happen.
    On the other hand, chapter 2 was probably the only one when I did not know the suspect beforehand. So I must give a thumbs up for that.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    There was absolutely no hint on who chapter 2's primary suspect was except for ONE particular small detail.
    Spoiler:

I picked that up at first but eventually forgot about it when the case ended up being about Genocide Jack and less about the murder itself.

I pretty much figured everything out about chapter 3 when the investigation started, and the trial pretty much went on the way I exactly suspected. I figured the murder pretty quickly after seeing some evidence because honestly, this kind of case is actually quite common in murder mysteries. That said I did like it, it had a certain twist to it even if that ended up entirely irrelevant.

That said after the trial ended I got something I did not expect. At all.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Spoiler:

Also holy ♥♥♥♥ I feel like Byakuya in this. Chapter 4 spoilers.
    Spoiler:

Back