• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Do you still believe in one another?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dad

big poppa
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 13, 2018
    since this is a thing now i'm 5'7 and 123 lbs. i don't exactly gain weight easily so i'm pretty much stuck here for the time being.. the only problem is I reeally want a cord to wear on my graduation but i need to donate blood three times my senior year. they say i need to gain like 10 more pounds before I can give blood, i'm not even underweight I don't understand.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
    they say i need to gain like 10 more pounds before I can give blood, i'm not even underweight I don't understand.

regulations on this change based on where you are but a lot of blood donation denials are actually due to risks to the donor's health rather than the recipient's. being underweight is a health risk in itself, but if you're just on the border of underweight then while you're not at health risk normally having blood taken could potentially (unlikely, but they need to cover their asses) be compromising so they probably just say that to give themselves and you safer position.

Reactions: dad

dad

big poppa
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 13, 2018
    regulations on this change based on where you are but a lot of blood donation denials are actually due to risks to the donor's health rather than the recipient's. being underweight is a health risk in itself, but if you're just on the border of underweight then while you're not at health risk normally having blood taken could potentially (unlikely, but they need to cover their asses) be compromising so they probably just say that to give themselves and you safer position.

well, when you put it like that i guess I can see where they're going. i was hoping maybe there could at least be a maximum amount of blood one could donate for being close to that line but I guess that a bit risky. i guess between now and senior year i've gotta try for a different cord.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
    i've never felt shame in this regard
    love animals but not enough to stop eating them
    I don't like hurting living things. Strike that, I don't like hurting things possessing hsin. All life forms here have a hsin to them, but I don't want to say I know that other things such as rocks or tools don't either. Hsin is a Chinese word, probably written as 心, and is also a concept that's partial to the understanding of the understanding of a lot of Far Eastern literature. For some background understanding, Alan Watts puts it best in this excerpt from his book, The Way of Zen:
    Each is a special instance of the mental function which works through all, and which Chinese designates with the peculiar word hsin.

This term is so important for the understanding of Zen that some attempt must be made to say what Taoism and Chinese thought in general take it to mean. We usually translate it as "mind" or "heart", but neither of these words is satisfactory. The original ideograph seems to be a picture of the heart, or of the lungs or the liver, and when a Chinese speaks of the hsin he will often point to the center of his chest, slightly lower than the heart.

The difficulty with our translations is that "mind" is too intellectual, too cortical, and that "heart" in is current English usage is too emotional—even sentimental. Furthermore, hsin is not always used with quite the same sense. Sometimes it is used for an obstruction to be removed, as in wu-hsin, "no-mind." But sometimes it is used in a way that is almost synonymous with the Tao. This is especially found in Zen literature, which abounds with such phrases as "original mind" (pen hsin), "Buddha mind" (fu hsin), or "faith in mind" (hsin hsin). This apparent contradiction is resolved in the principle that "the true mind is no mind," which is to say that the hsin is true, is working properly, when it works as if it were not present. In the same way, the eyes are seeing properly when they do not see themselves, in terms of spots or blotches in the air.​

Even though the reality is there is no duality between Myself and Others (something I'd spend an everlasting time explaining, kudos if you know why), I still have a pain in taking away from things which possess this hsin that is insofar apparent in living things (and also dead things).

This also relates to the psychic episode I had back in July where were I to clear my mind enough I could get a feel of that thing through a sixth sense of sorts. A few months later I read that book I mentioned and connected it was that, but yeah, anyway... It pains me to hurt. I know it is inevitable that I will, as the reason we are mortal is that we are constantly destroying ourselves anyway, but that's another topic.

Here's yet another tl;dr to PC's GC DCC. :3

Senusret, you can deffo have from-hunt-to-clothing done in Nunavut. There are places that will make you stuff like proper moccassins and include you in every process of it. There are people who would commission other organic clothing items too from like sheep's wool or a cotton-plant and etc if you did a bit of searching.

I just want to have the ultimate confidence in a set of clothing. I want it to be entirely natural, and for the outfit to be fashioned as things were in older times, underclothing being a shirt and pants and overclothes being a cloak, armour, or whathaveyou. It would make me feel at peace.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Triforce89.. I remember when that happened at your Uni.. stuff on the news was absolutely ridiculous! I don't remember if you guys got refunded though? Prob not.. >_> knowing THAT school or any, really, in the province..
    Hey! What's with the "that"? :(

I didn't lose a year in the end. When school resume we had truncated terms. Doubling up on the number of sessions a course had in a week, as well as the duration.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    I'm 6'1" at 240 pounds. I guess I'm overweight, but I easily look 220 instead of 240, even weight distribution and what not. Its hard to keep it down cause of the food always around me, but eh screw it, I'd rather eat what I want then starve. I guess I'm cutting it down, cause the more I learn about all the preservatives in our foods, the less I want to eat anything.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
    Are we still talking about our height and weight? I'm already waiting for someone else to change the topic, so I won't do it myself in fear that I'll get an infraction.

yet changing the topic is exactly what you're doing ;]

Alexander Nicholi

Years
    When I get money I'm going to be saving it for a bunch of stupid shit. Possibly involving backpacks, strapped to my back. My hands must remain free at all times to hold food.

Yea, my backpay is going to be well over $1K and after buying my mother a cheap laptop as replacement for the one I broke I'm going to be buying the best internet with my new $60/mo subsidy, getting my VPS back, and buying a brand-new computer rig. I'm hoping it'll be around $1,500 so I can do all of that in one fell swoop.

Oh, I forgot! I'll probably be throwing something PC's way too. I need to sort out the specifics of that of how I should divy the donorships up.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    There are times where I want to spend my money on things I want, but I feel lazy to do so, resulting in saving tons of money.

Alexander Nicholi

Years
    Pinkie-Dawn, you've received an infraction for one of your posts here at the PokéCommunity Forums.

Reason: Changing the topic

The staff member who issued the infraction has included the following message:

It's against the rules to change the topic in the DCC. Only those who are of sufficient cool points may do so, as outlined in the rules. As per PokéCommunity policy, we have zero tolerance for rule violations and I must adhere to that and issue this infraction.

Please re-read the rules, and bow down to our mystic might before ever thinking of posting ever again.

You can view the post this infraction was given for by clicking here. The post is also quoted below:

Are we still talking about our height and weight? I'm already waiting for someone else to change the topic, so I won't do it myself in fear that I'll get an infraction.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    Pinkie-Dawn, you've received an infraction for one of your posts here at the PokéCommunity Forums.

Reason: Changing the topic

The staff member who issued the infraction has included the following message:

It's against the rules to change the topic in the DCC. Only those who are of sufficient cool points may do so, as outlined in the rules. As per PokéCommunity policy, we have zero tolerance for rule violations and I must adhere to that and issue this infraction.

Please re-read the rules, and bow down to our mystic might before ever thinking of posting ever again.

You can view the post this infraction was given for by clicking here. The post is also quoted below:
    Do you still believe in one another?

Here's what the first rule of the DCC says:

Check the topic at hand, and unless it's dead or something go with the flow of the current topic. You can reply to a dead topic if you're interested though, but don't go bringing up past conversations or anything.
    Nowhere does it say only those who are of sufficient cool points are allowed to change the topic.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
    Would you say you guys are good at handling your money or do you spend it frivelously?

A weird mixture of both. :x I can save money no problem, but then I'll end up blowing a nice chunk on a date or on clothes or something of that nature... so I guess that means I suck at saving ;_;

Bless financial aid though, they're actually paying me to go to college this year. If only the check would send ugh.

Sir Codin

Ah, financial aid. For some reason, they're dragging their feet in dispersing the award. School starts in three days, FAFSA! Chop-chop!

Speaking of delayed payments, Unemployment California is taking their sweet time in giving me checks. I'm really now starting to believe all the talk about government uselessness, inefficiency, and the welfare ponzi scheme.

To top it all off, my car's engine light came on yesterday. It's being diagnosed as I type, but I hope it isn't extensive or I might have to push for a new car...eventually.

At least my W2 forms came in yesterday, so you know what that means....tax return time. That's right, gubment, give me back my fucking money.

Alexander Nicholi

Years
    Social Security is basically paying me for having a bunch of mental diagnoses that would alone each be inconsequential but together make me look like a basket case with my mother's antics when I'm not.

And for some reason I have no shame in this. It's like we're making a better world.
    All of them.

Better Worlds.

In certain older civilized cultures, when men failed as entirely as I have, they would throw themselves... on their swords. Unfortunately it looks like I forgot to bring a sword.

Sir Codin

Yeah, my mother has been coaxing me into also getting Social Security benefits, but they're being douchebags about it, so I'm starting to think the whole thing is a scam. Every SS representative I've talked to just has this tone of voice that says "we don't actually want to help people, we just want the tax money to ourselves."

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back