• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Does ANYBODY still play their GBA games more than the newer games (NDS)?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Sorry MidnightShine, but this thread kinda covers this topic already. I'll just merge them, cause this sections doesn't need anymore locked threads, lol. ;(

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I don't know if I play it more than the newer games, but I still am playing my GBA Pokémon games a lot. I have spent so much time at the Emerald Battle Factory over the last few months, that it's ridiculous. I have also restarted my LeafGreen recently so I've been playing that.

♠Dawn Rayne♠

Best in the world at what I do
Years
  • Age 33
  • PA
  • Seen May 6, 2012
I tend to alternate them alot so it is all pretty even for me. Hoenn, Kanto, Johto, Sinnoh, Unova... I travel to all of them every day!

Years
I rarely play the GBA games anymore, but mainly because all I have now is FireRed, and I went through a long period of time where I literally had nothing else to do than play that game. Needless to say, I'm sick of it. My Ruby eventually died and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get into Sapphire, and I ended up getting rid of it. I WANT Emerald, but given that I can never find it for a decent price, and that we're likely to get Gen III remakes soon, I'm holding off on that.

Years
I thought it was just me, but yes, I love my Emerald and Leafgreen!!! I definitely play them more than other games, and I must have played Leafgreen at least 20 times. I'm thinking of getting Ruby, Saphire, and Firered too, just because I like 3rd gen so much and wonder what playing other 3rd gen games are like. I think that the newer gens are alright (except Sinnoh!) and I hope that 3rd Gen never goes out of style! :)

Brendan859

Hoenn Champion
Years
I grew up playing 3rd Gen games too.I started with Ruby,then LeafGreen and finally Emerald.Once I finished White I started playing Emerald again(my favourite version),and I'm still playing thanks to my DS lite.

To me the current Gen games are all about the story....when I finished White I had nothing else to do and I got bored of it,while in Emerald there is a variety of marvelous things to choose from,from catching the legendaries to winning the Battle Frontier.

I'm waiting for the R/S remakes so the 3rd Gen wont be forgotten.

Dudypokefan89

Gen II fanboy / Loving Nidoking rn
Years
When FR/LG were new, i wet my pants...i just wanted to feel that nostalgia again. I grew up on the original Red game. I didn't get to play FireRed all the way through though, cause i lost it in gym class( Damn gym!) Now for R/S/E, i NEVER EVER owned ANY of those games. I own pretty much at least one game from each generation, except Hoenn games. But, I already know of roms, and beat the game Ruby. As a Pokemon Hacker, This gen was the easiest to edit. I played these games alot on roms just to fool around and make hack shows.
Now, I'm not trying to convert anyone to Gen 4, but it is a great gen. Sinnoh games feel like Hoenn games younger brother who gets picked on too, but are still regarded as great games and I personally think that HG/SS are the BEST remakes ever!

Koi

Years
  • Seen Oct 24, 2023
Hoenn

I'm not sure if I prefer GBA games over NDS games, but I guess I do play more GBA games than NDS games.
Personally, I love Hoenn and it's really fun region to play, with various elements and stuff.

firekoopa

Combat the Infinite
Years
  • Seen Aug 16, 2020
Yo, guess what?

I prefer Gen3 over Gen4

1: a bit of nostalgia, since they were my first games
2: I prefer G3 grapichs (the ugly 3D and all ticks me off a bit)
3: candies are better than poffins.

Nothing to really say actually, I wish I still had them, alas. I lost them. However, a friend who is unreasonably generous is prepared to "lend" his copies of Firered and "esmerlad".

Yeah. I don't like it when Video Games are not English. It's just a sort of urge to have them in English, no matter what. Ah well.

Years
  • Seen Feb 19, 2016
No... No really lol.. I did like the GBA versions though but I like wifi trading in the ds series

-Grayscale-

яιѕєη ƒяσм тнє ๔єα๔...
Years
I still like playing Emerald version frequently. It was a very fun game, and when I found it after months of searching I couldn't stop playing it haha

Years
I am only just getting back into the games, but out of all that I own, I am turning to the older GB/C/A versions.
I think it is they hold more sentimental value and I miss them.​

Years
  • Seen Jul 30, 2016
I play the GBA games a whole lot more than the NDS, mainly because my DS is broken and I can play ROMs on my iTouch. :V Also, they are really fun, Hoenn especially being my favorite. <3 Not to mention the endless hacks made for the GBA... they never get boring. ^^ 3rd gen was the first generation of Pokemon I ever played too... The nostalgia was great.

Evoslingerr

III Generation Enthusiast
Years
I still do! I play my Ruby version a lot... and is because getting the accessories to battle my friends at college are way cheaper than actually getting the new systems

Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2013
Generation III is personally my least favorite generation. They took out time of day, calendars, and reduced the game to 1 region instead of 2 after Generation II. I still do an Emerald or FireRed run through here and there, but as soon as I'm done with the Elite Four and whatever else I wast to do I move on to my DS games again, because Soul Silver and Platinum are so amazing.
Dude Hoenn is HUGE it's bigger than Kanto and Johto put together!

Years
All I have is FireRed.

(P.S. If I was to sell my FireRed with 40 level 100s on it, along with the Gameboy and charger, how much do you think it would be worth?)

blu3void

Exactly.
Years
I used to love the idea of trading and battling across the room using the Wireless Adapter with Fire Red and Leaf Green, but Nintendo Wifi quickly outclassed it, in my opinion.

Anyway, although not my absolute favorites, I DO still play Emerald on my iPod emulator from time to time.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Unfortunately, my Sapphire cartridge probably has had fewer replays than any of my other ones. Indeed, I booted it up a few minutes before replying to this, and the team I'd assembled was just woeful. For one thing, the centrepiece of it was a Lv45 Dustox! I can't ever remember liking Dustox, but obviously - all those years ago - it must have had some sort of weird appeal to me. As I've mentioned in a similar thread, I probably should give these games a whirl again; the internal battery hasn't decided to go kaput, so that's obviously a sign... right?

Back