• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Doubts about gen 5?

Do you think Gen 5 games will come out?

• Definitely!

Votes: 81 73.0%
  • Absolutely not.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I'm skeptical...

Votes: 27 24.3%

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    I am skeptical.
    Some did come out very good though, such as Roserade and Gliscor.
    Anyway, all I have to say is if Gen 5 is coming they need to get good Pokemon design ideas.

There's no reason to be "skeptical." Nintendo isn't going to let Gamefreak stop producing it's #2 franchise.

The ideas for Gen 4 aren't any better or worse than previous gens. And I hate this "omgzers theyyre running out of ideaz lolzers" fan theory. It's not hard to come up with a Pokemon. Pick an animal, give it some powers, modify it's looks so it looks good in a game/animated movie and television. There, you've got a Pokemon.

Maybe you've just grown out of Pokemon?

Sesh

Subjectively Objective
    Years
  • I agree with a previously stated idea that i'm too lazy to quote lol, Arceus like Mew were both event pokemon (mew also being catchable by a glitch) and as they are not part of the games main story, if you had played the game and just not cared about events would it matter that theres a "God" pokemon? besides for a God Arceus stats are sickeningly balanced, like Blastoise (which i love XP) but still for a legendary i do hate balanced stats. Anyways yeah it's just an event pokemon, meaning it's optional, meaning it has nothing to do with the main story progression of the games, yet again meaning with the creation of new pokemon, Arceus the "god" can be completely ignored. Therefore a gen 5 is more than likely especially due to the fact that as it's a buisiness money is the main concern >.>. Thats all i have to say

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
    Years
  • The fourth gen, despite its overwhelming promotion, wasn't really as good in terms of the ideas of the cheif legendaries (i.e. the whole time-space thing is so passe and Arceus was just a slap in the face as far as I'm concerned). So, I'm a little bit skeptical as to whether or not there will be a fifth installment. If there is, hopefully it'll deal in something a little more sensible, like maybe a manmade poison-type versus a Legendary almost completely unknown to the residents of the next region.

Mezase Master

I wish I had pants.
    Years
  • I hope they just add seven more Pokémon, bringing it to a grand total of 500, and finish the series. Also, instead of seperate versions, there'd be one gigantic and customizeable version that would add a ton of variety, with all of the regions and everything.

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
    Years
  • Numbers don't make it worthwhile, though I do agree with you somewhat, Mazane. It's overall quality of the creatures that I look at a lot more than just the amount Game Freak produces.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    The fourth gen, despite its overwhelming promotion, wasn't really as good in terms of the ideas of the cheif legendaries (i.e. the whole time-space thing is so passe and Arceus was just a slap in the face as far as I'm concerned). So, I'm a little bit skeptical as to whether or not there will be a fifth installment. If there is, hopefully it'll deal in something a little more sensible, like maybe a manmade poison-type versus a Legendary almost completely unknown to the residents of the next region.

I really don't get where this comes from. I love the 4th gen creatures. Sure, there are a LOT of legendary Pokemon, arguably too many, but that doesn't degrade their quality.

We finally have a regional bird that is actually strong in battle (Staraptor with TWO STAB 120+base power AND Close Combat), all the starters serve their purposes well in-game and in the competitive metagame (Empoleon resists ELEVEN types of attacks), a very useful HM slave in Bibarrel) and a nice little legendary that isn't overpowered in the form of Land Shaymin.

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
    Years
  • I really don't get where this comes from. I love the 4th gen creatures. Sure, there are a LOT of legendary Pokemon, arguably too many, but that doesn't degrade their quality.

Yeah, um... Do you know how often in fantasy/science fiction creatures or people that have control over time and space are used? Quite often, though they're traditionally psychics. And, the whole singular god creating all others equal and lesser than his stature is as plain as it gets. Personally, I'd liked to have seen something a little more imaginative. That's why I've been so critical about this generation.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Eh, I wouldn't take the Pokemon produced each generation to be an indicator if they are running out of ideas and/or won't make a new gen - after all, one's thoughts on a Pokemon tends to get subjective.

Also, IMO, money made is the primary aspect looked at. Look at it this way - if you have a product that sells millions of copies, and has done so for years, you'd be able to find someone to think up new Pokemon and all again if you have the $$$ Nintendo has. They have the incentive (and heck, they are a company) and resources, really.

Nintengod

Elite Battler & Contest Master
    Years
  • gen 5 will run the game out of ideas? HAH

show me a dartboard with pictures of random iconic & real creatures on it and ill show u gen 5 with meh uber dartz

sky_queen3

Mimikyu is cute :3
    Years
  • Pokemon will not stop until Jynx gets an evo! It should've happened in 4th gen but they hate Jynx, but I thought they also hated Porygon and it got another evo.

Ok, 7 Pokemon to round it out to 500
    1. Minusle :P
    2. Jynx Evo (Jynxior? Jynxum?)
    3. A Miltank/Tauros pre evo calf that evolves into one of them depending on gender. (50/50 m/f ratio)
    4. Baby Kangaskhan
    5. A single Exeggcute? (I mean how do 6 'eggs' hatch out of one egg?)
    6. Male counterpart to Kangaskhan
    7. A Devil Pokemon to counter Arceus. (Darkrai does not cut it! His counterpart is Cresseria anyway.)

~ Yukishii

ℓaketrio mistress♥
    Years
  • There's no reason to be "skeptical." Nintendo isn't going to let Gamefreak stop producing it's #2 franchise.

The ideas for Gen 4 aren't any better or worse than previous gens. And I hate this "omgzers theyyre running out of ideaz lolzers" fan theory. It's not hard to come up with a Pokemon. Pick an animal, give it some powers, modify it's looks so it looks good in a game/animated movie and television. There, you've got a Pokemon.

Maybe you've just grown out of Pokemon?

I'd like you to take a look at Probopass, Tangrowth, Abomasnow, and Snover. Tell me again they aren't running out of ideas.
    Oh yes. I've completely grown out of Pokemon, that's why I'm still posting here.
    With the above, oh yeah.. wayyy too many legendaries now.
    Though I love how the legendaries of the 4th gen came out, I just don't like the rest of the region much itself.
    The whole region is overpowered [The Pokemon's stats]. What the hell is with that?
    I mean Garchomp stands on legendary stat level.. I thought legendaries were supposed to be the powerful ones.

1. Minusle :P
    2. Jynx Evo (Jynxior? Jynxum?)
    3. A Miltank/Tauros pre evo calf that evolves into one of them depending on gender. (50/50 m/f ratio)
    4. Baby Kangaskhan
    5. A single Exeggcute? (I mean how do 6 'eggs' hatch out of one egg?)
    6. Male counterpart to Kangaskhan
    7. A Devil Pokemon to counter Arceus. (Darkrai does not cut it! His counterpart is Cresseria anyway.)

1. Don't you think that's kind of pointless? We already have Minun and Plusle.. a combo isn't necessary..
    2. Jynx has a pre evolved form, it doesn't need an evo.
    3. I have no comment.. except Tauros and Miltank are 100% different.. though I'm contradicting myself, genetics wise that would be awkward. I mean, at least Pichu looks somewhat like Pikachu..
    4. Baby Kangaskhan is in the pouch of the mother.. I thought they never left the pouch..
    5. It's Pokemon, it's not supposed to make sense..
    6. That actually might be a good idea.
    7. Arceus is based off a Greek/Roman God.. they didn't have a devil.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I'd like you to take a look at Probopass, Tangrowth, Abomasnow, and Snover. Tell me again they aren't running out of ideas.
    Like I said, to go so far as to create evolve forms for almost every Pokemon, and to top the cake, make God Pokemon..
    Yeah. They certainly haven't run out of Pokemon ideas. /sarcasm

Yet even with these Pokemon, the games sold extremely well. Even Platinum did in Japan (IIRC it broke some record/s?) And even if the Pokemon are bad for the majority of Pokemon users, they will keep making Pokemon until it starts to sell poorly.

Those are only a small handful of Pokemon you have listed there as well - not all of them were bad. And again - such a statement is hugely subjective - this is your view on them, not everyones. Although many will raise an eyebrow over Probopass and Tangrowth, to say that they are running out of ideas ont he basis of a few Pokemon is jumping to conclusions.

Let's not forget the 'pattern' that is visible (although admittedly I wouldn't base much on them myself, especially with only 4 generations, but still). 2nd generation games had a fair amount of new Pokemon that were just new evolutions or baby forms of old Pokemon, while the 2nd gen brought more in the way of new Pokemon in proportion to older. Now the 4th gen brought more based on old Pokemon lines again - don't be too surprised to see next gen to have more brand-new Pokemon compared to old.

Also note that statements such as 'they're running out of ideas and there will be no new gen' have been made ever since the 2nd generation - around a decade ago was when it had started. Event he new Pokemon in RS? Some hated them.

And what does Arceus have to do with running out of ideas? A god Pokemon, although an odd one, is an idea - there is no reason for them to have had to have made one in their last planned generation, nor does it mean they have run out of ideas. Besides, it only is an event-only Pokemon, and how much of a 'god' Pokemon it is is up to debate as well.

As I said before - as long as Pokemon makes money, Nintendo will be certainly keen to keep on making Pokemon, and finding people to make new ones for them. Plus there's the part about a prominent person in Pokemon saying himself that about a 1000 Pokemon had already been designed. Sure, some get scrapped, but I wouldn't worry about whether they can think of new ones. Whether you like them or not is up to you and you alone, but as Pokemon sells to a multi-million large audience, a fair number already happy to fork out even more for Platinum (which as of yet has only been released in Japan), then IMHO there will be new Pokemon games, and a 5th gen.

~ Yukishii

ℓaketrio mistress♥
    Years
  • It's obvious now they will continue till sells are poor, so I am no longer skeptical.
    Exactly. It's my opinion, and I am entitled to it or is there a rule on that as well?

To me, it just feels like Pokemon has lost it's touch a bit..
    The whole deal about Arceus is because it's a God Pokemon. My debate is why make a God Pokemon?
    Actually, more than one God Pokemon. I feel it's lost it's touch just a bit because Satoshi made Pokemon to explain certain things in the Pokeverse.
    How time started, how space expanded ect.
    Before it was all left up to your own imagination.
    That's probably why Arceus especially is being made a big deal out of.

Edit ; How can Arceus not be a God Pokemon? The anime has already explained there obviously is a God of the Pokeverse.
    So whether or not Arceus is a God being up to debate is weird.
    The episode is called a Secret Sphere of Influence.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • It's obvious now they will continue till sells are poor, so I am no longer skeptical.
    Exactly. It's my opinion, and I am entitled to it or is there a rule on that as well?

To me, it just feels like Pokemon has lost it's touch a bit..
    The whole deal about Arceus is because it's a God Pokemon. My debate is why make a God Pokemon?
    Actually, more than one God Pokemon. I feel it's lost it's touch just a bit because Satoshi made Pokemon to explain certain things in the Pokeverse.
    How time started, how space expanded ect.
    Before it was all left up to your own imagination.
    That's probably why Arceus especially is being made a big deal out of.

Edit ; How can Arceus not be a God Pokemon? The anime has already explained there obviously is a God of the Pokeverse.
    So whether or not Arceus is a God being up to debate is weird.
    The episode is called a Secret Sphere of Influence.
    There's no rule saying I have to agree with your argument, nor that one can't post saying why they disagree with it. Otherwise why do you state your nature as calm? =P ;)

Anyways, why they made a God Pokemon - who knows? More than likely because they thought it would be an interesting idea. Some people like Arceus. It's a different move, and some people not liking it is inevitable, really - doesn't mean that Pokemon has lost its touch for good, or can't make what will be in your opinion 'better' or more 'Pokemon-y' Pokemon in a new gen.

I also don't follow why having Pokemon that control Time and Space is a bad thing or makes Pokemon lose its touch because it had been 'left up to our imagination'. Heck, there's PLENTY left that is up to our imagination, and personally I hadn't thought Pokemon could control Time and Space - just that it went fine by itself, really. Some can argue it open up more possibilities for people to realise. =/ Stiil, down to opinions - I don't feel Pokemon has lost their touch because of just that.

Also, some people do argue whether it is really a God Pokemon or not (I don't have much interest for that discussion, tbh). Some say that it's only a god for Sinnoh people, one from past myths for instance. If you wish, go talk to them. Note also that anime isn't quite equal to the games, so one could say Arceus isn't quite the be-all-and-end-all 'god' the anime makes it out to be if they go by game canon, I suppose. At any case, I wouldn't know - but I do know that it is merely an event Pokemon anyway, and that I feel that a few 'iffy' Pokemon doesn't mean Nintendo/Game Freak have lost their way for all of us. For instance, I liked Snover, which is a different, unused idea for a Pokemon thus far - and you disliked it. Differing opinions - neither of us can say the other is wrong as it comes down to opinions.

The whole region is overpowered [The Pokemon's stats]. What the hell is with that?
    I mean Garchomp stands on legendary stat level.. I thought legendaries were supposed to be the powerful ones.
    There's always been a Pokemon near the end of the dex which has this though - one that stands out above others. Dragonite --> Tyranitar --> Salamence --> Garchomp, who happend to end up in Ubers due to being too powerful in the metagame - the thing is, it would have been very hard form them to make Pokemon fit in where they 'should'; and where this is is different for each person anyway. They probably wouldn't have worried too much about this as well. The combination of Garchomp's power and ability - which happens to be helped by the popularity of Tyranitar AND another Sandstorm Pokemon as well) is why it got bumped up to Uber - this doesn't mean that Nintendo/Game Freak are getting bad at Pokemon-making or anything like that.

Besides, Uber =/= Legendary. The Uber is a different environment, where the main Pokemon you see are ones with either the stats/rare power and moveset to make a name for themselves, tactics that most Pokemon find uncounterable - like Wobbuffet (who basically ensures bring down at least one Pokemon with it) - which mind you is a 2nd gen Pokemon - or ones who benefit from the weather (Like Pokemon with Chlorophyll - even Parasect does well there, fitting in the niche it has better than it does in OU due to its ability which works well in the rain, and a few resistances it happens to have against some Pokemon in Ubers.

Plus - doesn't mean the whole region is overpowered, IMHO. =P And some would also argue an under-powered region is boring - again - depends on your opinion.

Last edited:

~ Yukishii

ℓaketrio mistress♥
    Years
  • I don't dislike Arceus, just am wondering about the idea for it, that's all.
    Now that I think about it that is right, about Pokemon near the end of the dex matching up near legendaries.
    I haven't looked much at stats for Pokemon other then 4th gen, so that might explain my limited knowledge.
    What you said about the anime not following close to the games is true, but Arceus's pokedex entry even states it's 'Godlyness'. Oh well, no use arguing.
    Hm.. I must have limited imagination. I'm more of a 'worldly' thinker, so now since the Pokeverse has an explanation there isn't much more to make-up; at least in my case.
    But to put this argument to close, other than the legendaries the 4th gen just really disappoints me design wise. /major art critic.
    Nothing can really change my mind about that at this point.
    Hopefully the 5th gen can raise my likeness for individual Pokemon back up.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Well, that's your opinion in the end - and as I said before, making a God Pokemon isn't something that would appeal to all by any means. =) For me, it is very much a 'meh' Pokmeon - don't care much about it tbh. -_-

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
  • I just personally see Arceus as just another Pokemon. Though that's probably because I follow the games more than the show. I guess that's the defining difference between the games and the show. Mew was supposed to have DNA of all Pokemon in it or something like that, and then Generations II through IV came. Arceus is just another link in the ever-growing chain.

Anyway, like I believe I posted in another thread some eons ago, before I went inactive, Nintendo won't let one of their best-selling franchises die out so prematurely. So long as they can still come up with Pokemon, no matter how ridiculous they seem, they'll keep it going through more Generations.

After all, they left the door wide open for evolutions with Generation IV; Pachirisu being the primary one I feel will evolve in the show to declare that Generation V will soon be upon us. (I declared it 'Raichirisu' before my vanishing act... don't know how 'original' that was XD )

At the end of the day though, Pokemon will continue until everyone loses interest in it, which at the moment doesn't look likely. That's how I feel on the whole subject of a Gen. V, anyway...
    *is also wanting more Eeveelutions... lol* <3

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2011
    If a Gold/Silver remake came out, I'd die happy.
    The Johto series were my favorite games, if they came out with a remake for the DS (soon to be DSi), I'd reserve/buy/stay up all night in front of WalMart until they were released.
    Also, as stated above by many, Gen. 5 will come soon enough. They have money, and enough creative people to easily create another season. Hopefully, the Pokes aren't too shabby :l

coolkidmitch

Ace Trainer
    Years
  • You have to keep in mind the Anime! Once ash beats the elite four and goes home for a few episodes. he's off to the next league! So a new game needs to be made soon. He's already to the 6th gym in the japanese game? I'm not sure. I don't really know what the time frame between, say, Emerald and D/P were. I assume it will be that long between platinum and.....TITANIUM/KRYPTON (idk why the went straight to metals, I was always rooting for a Pokemon ORANGE XD)

But like it has been said over and over, Pokemon is a buisness, and my little cousins who are 6 and 9 watches me play pokemon over my should ALL THE TIME, (I'm 20 XD). Not to mention my cousin (who is not allowed to watch pokemon) asked me other day if I had Dialiga....now....please tell me how the heck she knew that?!

She has pokemon coloring books AND I found a pokemon poster hidden in her closet. Lets just say, the more money they can make, the more pokemon we get.

Plus wasn't their a teaser picture of pikachu with a big ? next to it? Eventually they will slowl start dripping in new pokemon and we will all squee and want it :)

~MasterMind~

⌊C u r i o s i t y ♫ ♥⌉
    Years
  • there is to many freaking pokemon as is i think they should just stick with the 4 generations they have and make different games after that and besides making a pokemon thats suppose to be GOD(arceus) just put them in the biggest dead end.

Back