• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Energy drinks banned...

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2011
    I didn't even know this existed until this whole controversy started out. This is ridiculous in the first place. Parents need to learn more about society nowadays because we are even having these kind of debates at video games. But parents can't parent if they don't know what it' about.
    I drink energy drinks and sodas and I'm perfectly healthy. I exercise, (Wii Sports, anyone?) and have no side effects.
    I don't drink either so I don't understand why this would be on the market anyways. An alcoholic energy drink doesn't sound appetizing unless you have to pull an all-nighter at a party.
    But then again, I'm a parent and I would never give my child something just to "shut them up". They have to learn that you don't get what you want in life and that's how they do.

Honestly, if parents would educate themselves on their child's lives and hobbies, they wouldn't have this problem.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    The funny thing about this is that if people actually ate better and moved more than just their typing fingers they wouldn't need energy drinks to begin with... which I know of firsthand. I only drink coffee and water :0

Bans on this kinda stuff is stupid... mainly because all the crap is induced by the fact people won't take care of themselves in the first place and they need the government to hold their bloody hands.

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2010
    I agree with this statement. Some parents just don't care about this sort of thing, and will get it for them to shut their kids up. It's the same with everything.

Watching the news earlier today told me that Australia is also considering banning these drinks because of what the American Government has done about it, well at least the Alcoholic energy drinks.

Drinking alcoholic energy drinks is just stupid. You dont mix drugs full stop let alone uppers and downers. I dont think we should outlaw stupidity though put a warning label. Have it read something like this...

"Caution if you are stupid enough to drink this you deserve whatever you get."

Years
    The funny thing about this is that if people actually ate better and moved more than just their typing fingers they wouldn't need energy drinks to begin with... which I know of firsthand. I only drink coffee and water :0

Bans on this kinda stuff is stupid... mainly because all the crap is induced by the fact people won't take care of themselves in the first place and they need the government to hold their bloody hands.

I drink energy drinks mostly because of college, since, you know, I'm normally up til 1 or 2 AM, sometimes even later, doing homework or studying, then factor in my job and my actual life, which leaves me perennially exhausted, so I drink them to get a start, same as coffee, not because I'm lazy or something along those lines. Bad generalizing there.

Not to mention a lot of American society is designed around our addiction to caffeinated beverages. With our work days, lives, responsibilities, etc, we need some sort of energy drink or other caffeinated beverage to function.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I don't like Energy drinks at all...they aren't very healthy for people...they have too much sugar and caffeine...I'm sure that there will be research coming up in the next years about the dangers of energy drinks...
    Though I do hate government regulation...even if it's for a person health...I guess they shouldn't ban them and just let people screw their health with these drinks...

I drink energy drinks mostly because of college, since, you know, I'm normally up til 1 or 2 AM, sometimes even later, doing homework or studying, then factor in my job and my actual life, which leaves me perennially exhausted, so I drink them to get a start, same as coffee, not because I'm lazy or something along those lines. Bad generalizing there.

Not to mention a lot of American society is designed around our addiction to caffeinated beverages. With our work days, lives, responsibilities, etc, we need some sort of energy drink or other caffeinated beverage to function.
    I think that we shouldn't really on caffeine too much...
    I try to minimize my caffeine intake...I can go without caffeine at all...and I get quite stressed out with school and other stuff...so you shouldn't use that as an excuse...

Last edited:
    Years
    I don't like Energy drinks at all...they aren't very healthy for people...they have too much sugar and caffeine...I'm sure that there will be research coming up in the next years about the dangers of energy drinks...
    Though I do hate government regulation...even if it's for a person health...I guess they shouldn't ban them and just let people screw their health with these drinks...

I think that we shouldn't really on caffeine too much...
    I try to minimize my caffeine intake...I can go without caffeine at all...and I get quite stressed out with school and other stuff...so you shouldn't use that as an excuse...

I'm not using it as an excuse. You will be hard pressed to find someone my age who doesn't rely on caffeine in some shape or form to get through the semester, or a difficult work schedule, or just life in general.

I drink them because:

A. I can.

B. They're helpful waking up in the morning after a long night, and it makes you sharp/focused. Once you're in college or work full time, you'll understand what I mean.

C. Caffeine is perfectly healthy in moderation. I have a cup of coffee or tea in the morning, I don't chugg it down like a lot of people do. I don't sorely rely on it to get going in the day. I still have a somewhat normal sleep schedule and diet,( You can't be normal in college) and I'm a pretty healthy individual overall.

Now going by that, people my age and in my age bracket (18-25) have a viable need for them, should they want one. As for kids younger than that, I don't think a freshman in high school or even younger than that needs much caffeine in the morning, seeing as they wouldn't have a comparable workload to someone older. I still wouldn't ban them for that age group though, because that establishes a fairly dangerous precedent.

Last edited:
    Years
    I'm against prohibition of any substance.

It just creates a 'black market' for it which is undesirable.

Using a drug should be left to the user's discretion.

If the prohibition age was something like 16 with permission to consume highly caffinated substances at home with parent / guardian consent, I wouldn't have any quirks with it.

Soft Drinks / Coffee / Tea shouldnt be banned.

Theres so little caffine in them. -_-

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years

I can see in your case how that makes sense but there are high school freshmen who can't go without 3 Monsters or whatever a day. What energy they are lacking they could eat an apple, some bread of some sort, an egg, and some milk/coffee, and they'd have pretty much everything they need for the day. The bs excuse for these people is that they don't have enough time to eat that, and while I can understand the egg, everything else is easy to make/get and usually teachers will allow them to eat in their classes. That's how I go by without drinking a Monster or any of those other energy drinks.

We do need a bit of a nutritional revolution, but I don't think the government should just go around saying "things are bad, let's ban them". You can easily put a 10 cent tax on stuff like that and it will make people think twice about buying it. For example, in Michigan, you pay Sales Tax on Fast Food. It makes me think twice about picking up that Whopper Jr. (the only one that I can actually eat lol), and usually I'll just pop into a grocery store and use my money to buy instant noodles or something.

(although I can't drink anything with too much sugar or else my heart rate goes through the roof and I get really woozy - I can barely muster a bottle of Coke and other people go through it like no big deal)

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2014
    Unless Gatorade qualifies for the banning, I have no trouble with it since I've never really had any other energy drink.

And did you notice it seems everyone here under 19 is against this law, but everyone over 19 is alright with it?

Last edited:

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    I'm against the ban. I don't like the stuff, I've had maybe two Monsters in my whole existence and they both tasted far to sweet for me to really enjoy them. I've seen a friend of mine drink 5 of them over the course of a weekend, and he apparently does this habitually... irritable the whole time, and he says he didn't hardly sleep. Not that this happens to every person who picks up a Nos, but I bet the drinks had something to do with his disposition.

It's not the place of the government to ban substances in general. Even stuff like tobacco or alcohol, or marijuana, honestly. It should be up to to the public to decide whether or not they should have the stuff, as there are benefits to each when utilized properly.
    However, that's an ideal of mine, and realistically, especially due to the addictive properties of them all, it would be really hard to make it work. Abuse of those substances is far easier and more appealing to those abusing than something like vitamin overdose.

Back to the drinks. I worry at this point that most parents are not, ah, parental enough to regulate all they're supposed to, either. People complain about the government overstepping it's bounds now, but it's been going on for quite a while, and at this point self-discipline is sorely lacking all around. As for compromise, drop the age limit to 15 or so, and/or regulate sales of the individual cans. No more than X cans per person, where in my mind, X is one or two. That makes lots of sense to me...

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
    This is outrageous, you should be able to buy what you want to buy. Age limits are so annoying, its oppressive; what's next age limits on candy?

Headfirst For Halos

[insert ellipses here]
    Years
    Unless Gatorade qualifies for the banning, I have no trouble with it since I've never really had any other energy drink.

And did you notice it seems everyone here under 19 is against this law, but everyone over 19 is alright with it?

Because no one wants an annoyingly hyper, nihilistic teen around them. Duh.

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
    Years
    I think a lot of people are forgetting something. A lot of people have an addiction to energy drinks. That is why I'm completely against this, people could go mad. It's like taking alcohol away from an alcoholic, or taking drugs away from a junky. So that's why it's a bad idea.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years

I'm turning 19 in a couple days, and don't drink energy drinks to begin with, and I'm against it. lol

Saltare.

Brain bangin'
    Years
    I love my energy drinks. It's not like I drink them everyday and I have more common sense than to mix them with alchohol -_-

If my area bans energy drinks, I think I'd go insane.

But if they must put some restriction, don't make the age limit 19. That's all I really have to say.

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    I could understand banning those energy drinks that has alcohol in them. We used to sell them at our store. And in a few months I didn't see them again. Thank goodness. Those are total killers. No one should be drinking those!

Now the normal energy drinks, maybe there should be a label saying "this isn't for kids" or something. Don't ban them, but I think the parents should step in and tell their children that they are not allowed to drink those energy drinks until 18. The government shouldn't tell this needs to enforced. They are not our parents.

Unless you are pulling a all-nighter, don't drink energy drinks. They are bad for you. I used to drink Lo-Carb Monster Energy drinks. Yeah they got me going, but at the end of my shift I crashed so hard. I felt worse than I was before I drank one of those. And then I told myself I will stop drinking soda. So I counted that I couldn't drink those energy drinks as well. I don't need them. All I need a good night sleep, eat some breakfast, and drink water/juice/tea. That is it. I get through the day just fine.

It is a matter of having self-control. If you need a instant buzz.

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    Unless you are pulling a all-nighter, don't drink energy drinks. They are bad for you. I used to drink Lo-Carb Monster Energy drinks. Yeah they got me going, but at the end of my shift I crashed so hard. I felt worse than I was before I drank one of those. And then I told myself I will stop drinking soda. So I counted that I couldn't drink those energy drinks as well. I don't need them. All I need a good night sleep, eat some breakfast, and drink water/juice/tea. That is it. I get through the day just fine.
    Maybe I'm one of the weird ones? I drink Monster (mostly Lo-Carb) purely for taste. I'm entirely caffeine/sugar UN-sensitive. I kind of envy those people who can drink a can of anything with sugar or caffeine and go crazy, since I just feel the same before, during, and long after drinking them.

And I agree with you on the alcoholic energy drinks. Drunks are bad enough (in general), so why add a caffeine high into the mix? Alcohol itself can make people pretty crazy, and I really don't think a double does them or anyone else any good.

Back