• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen EV training guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultima2096

~baka baka
Years
thought it would make more sense asking this here than opening more EV threads.

So EV's, do they add to your stat increases as you level. so if you had a e.g. a pokemon lvl 10 wiv 30EV's (which would be 3 IV's, or stat points if im correct)in speed, would that pokemon get 3 extra stat points when it leveled from 10 to 11, and then a furthur 3 add from 11 to 12 etc? so by the time it was lvl 15 it would have15 extra stat points on its speed.
Or would it just get 3 extra stat points without stacking as it levels. so if you had a lvl 99 pokemon you could complete its EV training so when it levels to 100 it would get the EV boast?
another reason to ask here, is i lost my question i asked in one of the many random EV threads, which was can you just use vitamins as a very expensive or time comsuming (BP wise) way of effient EV levelling? so e.g. if you hatched a lvl 1 pokemon (go with spped again) and slapped aload of carbos on it (assuming that the pokemon get a stacking boast of ev points) is this a better way of EV training?
last but not least (what a stupid saying btw) is there a way of viewing EV's in game or do you just need a good old fashioned tally chart. or a fancy spreadsheet if you love the excel?
thanks banks

Shiny Umbreon

光るブラッキー
Years
So EV's, do they add to your stat increases as you level. so if you had a e.g. a pokemon lvl 10 wiv 30EV's (which would be 3 IV's, or stat points if im correct)in speed, would that pokemon get 3 extra stat points when it leveled from 10 to 11, and then a furthur 3 add from 11 to 12 etc? so by the time it was lvl 15 it would have15 extra stat points on its speed.
Or would it just get 3 extra stat points without stacking as it levels. so if you had a lvl 99 pokemon you could complete its EV training so when it levels to 100 it would get the EV boast?

I didn't understand well your examples, but it's like this: Each 4 EVs gives you 1 point in a stat. Each time a Pokémon is leveled up, its EVs are counted again and the ones that hadn't been added are now added.

another reason to ask here, is i lost my question i asked in one of the many random EV threads, which was can you just use vitamins as a very expensive or time comsuming (BP wise) way of effient EV levelling? so e.g. if you hatched a lvl 1 pokemon (go with spped again) and slapped aload of carbos on it (assuming that the pokemon get a stacking boast of ev points) is this a better way of EV training?

Giving vitamins is exactly the same as battling. The only thing is that a Pokémon will only take up to 10 vitamins, so even the rich people has to battle to get them. It's really your choice. It saves you some time but costs some more money.

last but not least (what a stupid saying btw) is there a way of viewing EV's in game or do you just need a good old fashioned tally chart. or a fancy spreadsheet if you love the excel?
thanks banks

Old fashioned tally chart. But I think someone in the previous games told you the stat in which your Pokémon had more EVs or something like that. There should be at least something like that, but there isn't.

haffeysucks

lolpwnt
Years
Old fashioned tally chart. But I think someone in the previous games told you the stat in which your Pokémon had more EVs or something like that. There should be at least something like that, but there isn't.

There's one for DVs. The description of your Pokemon tells you that. For example, my Garchomp's is "Likes to run." There probably a list somewhere but I can infer that his Speed DVs are most likely the highest.

Shiny Umbreon

光るブラッキー
Years
There's one for DVs. The description of your Pokemon tells you that. For example, my Garchomp's is "Likes to run." There probably a list somewhere but I can infer that his Speed DVs are most likely the highest.

You mean IVs, right? Yeah, but if you have a calculator or whatever, you don't need them. And still they are constant, unlike EVs, so you really don't need to keep track of them. I think it's kind of curious that Pokémon have natures and characteristics that tell you about stats if they really don't tell you anything unless you have a guide.

haffeysucks

lolpwnt
Years
You mean IVs, right? Yeah, but if you have a calculator or whatever, you don't need them. And still they are constant, unlike EVs, so you really don't need to keep track of them. I think it's kind of curious that Pokémon have natures and characteristics that tell you about stats if they really don't tell you anything unless you have a guide.

Yeah, IVs and DVs are the same. You're right, what I just mentioned is not really helpful at all. Nintendo shouldn't have put it in, but I guess they didn't think that someone would design an IV calculator later on...

ultima2096

~baka baka
Years
I didn't understand well your examples, but it's like this: Each 4 EVs gives you 1 point in a stat. Each time a Pokémon is leveled up, its EVs are counted again and the ones that hadn't been added are now added..

so if have a level 5 pokemon, it has 4 EV's in a stat, and then i level it to 6 it gets the normal level gain stat points, plus an extra one for the 4EV's (does 4EV's = 1 IV?)?
now if i level that level 6 pokemon to level 6 pokemon to level 7 with only the same 4EV's does it still gain an additional stat point?

What i am trying to figure out is if you have a level on pokemon with say 4 EV's in speed and you level it to 100 does it end up with 100 extra stats in speed or just one from the first time you level it?
if its all based on one level then you could benefit from just EV training a lvl 99 pokemon to 100?

sorry if its confusing, its cos i get confused thinking about it!

Shiny Umbreon

光るブラッキー
Years
so if have a level 5 pokemon, it has 4 EV's in a stat, and then i level it to 6 it gets the normal level gain stat points, plus an extra one for the 4EV's (does 4EV's = 1 IV?)?
now if i level that level 6 pokemon to level 6 pokemon to level 7 with only the same 4EV's does it still gain an additional stat point?

No, because it was already counted when it previously leveled up. It's simple. They are counted when you level up and then they just stay in the Pokémon affecting nothing else later.

ultima2096

~baka baka
Years
So i am correct in thinking, you can just leave all that EV training for lvl.99 considering it takes so long and then at lvl.100 you would have a fully EV trained pokemon

Last edited:

Eureka1

Yay IIDX! :D
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 21, 2023
So i am correct in thinking, you can just leave all that EV training for lvl.99 considering it takes so long and then at lvl.100 you would have a fully EV trained pokemon

err

to get the level 99 you'd have gained the max amount of evs :P

you need a completely untouched pokemon for ev training :P

Phanima

That servant of the evil one
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Oct 11, 2011
what about busting out those delicious EV reducing berries on your pokemon?

Why waste the berries when you can just EV train properly and never have to use them. Besides, if you level to 99, I doubt you'll remember every Pokemon you've fought, thus using the correct berry to reduce EVs is an extremely complicated and unnecessary task.

anemos

Insomniac
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 24, 2010
Huh. i had a question about this. after 10 years, the vitamins(and now berries) say "this item raises/lowers the BASE _____ stat.", why is that? why doesnt nintendo just TELL people about the data that makes up their game? =P

Phanima

That servant of the evil one
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Oct 11, 2011
Well, the concept of training your Pokemon was always, at it's basic level, to have your Pokemon at the highest level possible before battling others who have done the same. This remained true for the first and second generations, where Individual Values and Vitamins played the major role in which Pokemon were stronger. All a person had to do was level it to 100 and they'd be pretty much set.

However, from the third generation, a lot more game mechanics have been introduced, including natures, abilities, breeding, and the all important Effort Values. With all of these factors, plus many more, there's a high chance that every Pokemon you encounter is never the same in terms of stats and training ability, unless they have been hacked or bred/trained extensively. This brought a lot of individualism to the metagame, but was never intended for players to use unless they wanted to. Thus why most of the new game mechanics can't be seen visually, as the first/second generation of training a Pokemon was considered the norm.

But the discovery of these mechanics led to the now present metagame of Pokemon tier list, EV training guides, and breeding programs. And from all this, the description for the Vitamins remained close to what it was used for in R/B/Y/G/S/C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back