• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen EV training guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

PokeWarped

Master of Random
Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2007
    Does anyone know? I'd like to make a list for each stat so it can serve as a guide.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

About EVs:
    Tutorial by Cema

Wild Pokémon
    HP
    Valley Windworks. Shellos (1 HP) and Buizel (1 Speed) are common, so ignore the latter. You'll rarely find Pachirisu (1 Speed) and Bidoof (1 HP)
    Fuego Ironworks. Gastrodon (2 HP) and Shellos (1HP) can be found here while Wingull (1 Speed), Shinx (1 Attack), Luxio (2 Attack) and Pachirisu (2 Speed) should be ignored.
    Route 221. In Pearl, Gastrodon (2 HP) will be pretty common and there will be Sudowoodo (2 Defense). In Diamond, some Gastrodon (2 HP) are replaced by Stunky (1 Speed) and Skuntank (2 HP) The rest are Roselia (2 Sp. Attack), Shellos (1 HP), Floatzel (2 Speed) and Wingull (1 Speed).

Attack
    Route 229. Gyarados (2 Attack) are the only Pokémon to be found while fishing.
    Route 210 (Celestic Side). You will find Bibarel (2 Attack), Machop (1 Attack) and Machoke (2 Attack) at the same rate as Psyduck (1 Sp. Attack), Meditite (Speed), Hoothoot (1 HP) and Noctowl (2 HP). Note that during the morning and day, Hoothoot and Noctowl will be replaced by Meditite, making it the most common.
    Route 212 (Pastoria Side). Wooper (1 HP) and Roselia (2 Sp. Attack) are found here. Kricketune and Bibarel (2 Attack each) are here, too. Bibarel will be more common during daytime and Kricketune during night, but the other Pokémon won't be affected.
    Route 208. While Psyduck (1 Sp. Attack) are the common thing here, you can also find Bibarel (2 Attack), Machop (1 Attack) and if you want Zubat (1 Speed), Meditite (1 Speed) and Bidoof (1 HP), they are here, too.

Defense
    Ruin Maniac Cave. Geodude (1 Defense) are the most common, and the only other Pokémon here is Hippopotas (1 Defense).
    Iron Island B2F (Riley's Room)/B3F. The common Pokémon here are Graveler (2 Defense) and Onix (1 Defense), with the other being Golbat (2 Speed), Steelix (2 Defense) and Geodude (1 Defense), who almost never appears.
    Oreburgh Mine. Geodude (1 Defense) are common here. You can also find Onix (1 Defense) and Zubat (1 Speed) a bit less often.

Sp. Attack
    Old Chateau. Gastly (1 Sp. Attack) are the only Pokémon found here while any GBA game in Slot 2 allows you to rarely find Haunter (2 Sp. Attack) and Gengar (3 Sp. Attack). The latter is only at the room with the eyes on the wall.
    Resort Area. When surfing, Golduck (2 Sp. Attack) can be found.

Sp. Defense
    Route 223. Tentacruel (2 Sp. Defense) and Pelipper (2 Defense) are common, while there are few Mantyke (1 Sp. Defense).
    Any other surfing area. The most common Pokémon is Tentacool (1 Sp. Defense).

Speed
    Route 226. There's plenty of Fearow and Raticate (2 points each) and sometimes Spearow and Rattata (1 point each). You may rarely find Machoke (2 Attack) or Golduck (2 Attack). It's better at day, because Banette (2 Attack) appear frequently at night.
    Victory Road B1F. When surfing, Golbat (2 Speed) are the only Pokémon to be found.
    Trophy Garden. Though Roselia (2 Sp. Attack) are more common that others, there are Pichu (1 Speed), Pikachu (2 Speed), Staravia (2 Speed) and Kricketune (2 Attack). Note that, during the morning, Pichu are more common; in the day, Staravia; and during the night, Kricketune; though neither of these affect the number of Roselia.
    Route 221. In Pearl, Gastrodon (2 HP) will be pretty common and there will be Sudowoodo (2 Defense). In Diamond, some Gastrodon (2 HP) are replaced by Stunky (1 Speed) and Skuntank (2 HP) The rest are Roselia (2 Sp. Attack), Shellos (1 HP), Floatzel (2 Speed) and Wingull (1 Speed).

VS Seeker
    HP
    Route 213. Tuber Jared, at the south-east corner of the map, has three Shellos (1 HP) which may evolve into Gastrodon (2 HP).

Attack
    Route 210 (Celestic Side). Black Belt Adam, near Celestic Town, has a Machoke (2 Attack) that will evolve to Machamp (3 Attack).

Defense

Sp. Attack
    Route 214. Collector Douglas, just beforing reaching the lakefront from Veilstone, has three Roselia (2 Sp. Attack). {Need confirmation about whether they evolve or not}

Sp. Defense

Speed
    Route 211 (Eterna Side). Ninja Boy Zach, a the top right corner of the grass, has three Zubats (1 Speed) which then become Golbat (2 Speed) and Crobat (3 Speed).

Post locations you know or use to write them here.

Info so far thanks to me, Eureka1, Arkarian, C&C, Samson and Blazed.

Finally, an EV explanation that makes sense! Time to change my siggy.

Years
  • My friend, you made a silly mistake

also, tentacool and tentacruel give sp def points, 1 point, and 2 points (respectively)

Does anyone know? I'd like to make a list for each stat so it can serve as a guide.

About EVs:
    Tutorial by Cema

Wild Pokémon
    HP
    Valley Windworks. Shellos (1 HP) and Buizel (1 Speed) are common, so ignore the latter. You'll rarely find Pachirisu (1 Speed) and Bidoof (1 HP)
    Fuego Ironworks. Gastrodon (2 HP) and Shellos (1HP) can be found here while Wingull (1 Speed), Shinx (1 Attack), Luxio (2 Attack) and Pachirisu (2 Speed) should be ignored.

Attack
    Route 229. Gyarados (2 Attack) are the only Pokémon to be found while fishing.
    Route 210 (Celestic Side). You will find Bibarel (2 Attack), Machop (1 Attack) and Machoke (2 Attack) at the same rate as Psyduck (1 Sp. Attack), Meditite (Speed), Hoothoot (1 HP) and Noctowl (2 HP). Note that during the morning and day, Hoothoot and Noctowl will be replaced by Meditite, making it the most common.
    Route 212 (Pastoria Side). Wooper (1 HP) and Roselia (2 Sp. Attack) are found here. Kricketune and Bibarel (2 Attack each) are here, too. Bibarel will be more common during daytime and Kricketune during night, but the other Pokémon won't be affected.
    Route 208. While Psyduck (1 Sp. Attack) are the common thing here, you can also find Bibarel (2 Attack), Machop (1 Attack) and if you want Zubat (1 Speed), Meditite (1 Speed) and Bidoof (1 HP), they are here, too.

Defense
    Ruin Maniac Cave. Geodude (1 Defense) are the most common, and the only other Pokémon here is Hippopotas (1 Defense).
    Iron Island B2F (Riley's Room)/B3F. The common Pokémon here are Graveler (2 Defense) and Onix (1 Defense), with the other being Golbat (2 Speed), Steelix (2 Defense) and Geodude (1 Defense), who almost never appears.
    Oreburgh Mine. Geodude (1 Defense) are common here. You can also find Onix (1 Defense) and Zubat (1 Speed) a bit less often.

Sp. Attack
    Old Chateau. Gastly (1 Sp. Attack) are the only Pokémon found here while any GBA game in Slot 2 allows you to rarely find Haunter (2 Sp. Attack) and Gengar (3 Sp. Attack). The latter is only at the room with the eyes on the wall.
    Resort Area. When surfing, Golduck (2 Sp. Attack) can be found.

Sp. Defense
    Route 223. Tentacruel (2 Sp. Defense) and Pelipper (2 Defense) are common, while there are few Mantyke (1 Sp. Defense).

Speed
    Route 226. There's plenty of Fearow and Raticate (2 points each) and sometimes Spearow and Rattata (1 point each). You may rarely find Machoke (2 Attack) or Golduck (2 Attack). It's better at day, because Banette (2 Attack) appear frequently at night.
    Victory Road B1F. When surfing, Golbat (2 Speed) are the only Pokémon to be found.
    Trophy Garden. Though Roselia (2 Sp. Attack) are more common that others, there are Pichu (1 Speed), Pikachu (2 Speed), Staravia (2 Speed) and Kricketune (2 Attack). Note that, during the morning, Pichu are more common; in the day, Staravia; and during the night, Kricketune; though neither of these affect the number of Roselia.

VS Seeker
    HP
    Route 213. Tuber Jared, at the south-east corner of the map, has three Shellos (1 HP) which may evolve into Gastrodon (2 HP).

Attack
    Route 210 (Celestic Side). Black Belt Adam, near Celestic Town, has a Machoke (2 Attack) that will evolve to Machamp (3 Attack).

Defense

Sp. Attack
    Route 214. Collector Douglas, just beforing reaching the lakefront from Veilstone, has three Roselia (2 Sp. Attack). {Need confirmation about whether they evolve or not}

Sp. Defense

Speed
    Route 211 (Eterna Side). Ninja Boy Zach, a the top right corner of the grass, has three Zubats (1 Speed) which then become Golbat (2 Speed) and Crobat (3 Speed).

Post locations you know or use to write them here.

Info so far thanks to me, Eureka1, Arkarian, C&C, Samson and Blazed.

Last edited:

ultima2096

~baka baka
    Years
  • shiny umbreon said:
    Sp. Defense
    nekroboi said:
    DUDE!! for SP DEF EVs, tentacool gives 1 EV, and tentacruel gives 2 EV they arent rare either!
    ehhhhhhhhhhhhh?!?!?!
    da hell is going on?? have you gone insane nekroboi!!
    whilst i did read the first post i still needed to ask some questions to clear up any further confusion. Ome of the serebii guides arent very good. general lack of information and look like a rush job by a five year old. but thanks to some expertise he im all the wiser for EV's and practically everything else D/P related

Last edited:

~Mithos~

- Three Days Grace -
    Years
  • here I got two.

The pond right above jubilife has phyducks and golducks that both give sp. attack EV's (1 and 2 respectively)

and left of eterna city using VS. seeker fight the fishermen with magikarp for speed (they don't level up)

Phanima

That servant of the evil one
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2011
    VS Seeker

Special Defense:

Route 210 (foggy section) - Ninja Boy Davido (upper level) - L27 Dustox (3 Sp. Defense)

Route 230 - SwimmerF Sophia (bottom of pair with SwimmerM) - 50 Mantyke, L52 Mantine (3 Sp. Defense)

Route 230 - SwimmerF Mallory (pacing, spinning, in top "row" of rocks) - L50 Seel, L54 Dewgong (3 Sp. Defense)

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2013
    I have 3 questions:
    1. When pokemon is holding a Macho Brace does he get 2x more EV's?
    2. When i'll change pokemon and defeat wild pokemon with other one who will get EV's? The pokemon that i sent at the beggining or the one who defeated him? Or maybe each of them will have half?
    3. The same thing but with exp Share (when pokemon isn't fighting but get's Exp)

Shiny Umbreon

光るブラッキー
    Years
  • I have 3 questions:
    1. When pokemon is holding a Macho Brace does he get 2x more EV's?
    2. When i'll change pokemon and defeat wild pokemon with other one who will get EV's? The pokemon that i sent at the beggining or the one who defeated him? Or maybe each of them will have half?
    3. The same thing but with exp Share (when pokemon isn't fighting but get's Exp)

1. Yes, Macho Brace doubles the EVs.
    2. Each one will get ALL Evs. There's no diving, so if a Pokémon gives 2 Attack Evs, each of your Pokémon will get 2.
    3. Same as 2.

@Phanima: Information added. Thanks for the names and locations, it served.

Last edited:

ultima2096

~baka baka
    Years
  • i thought with exp. share and switching in battles the EV's were divided and rounded up. thus always getting one EV? well unless u fought a 3EV giving pokemon, with only two pokemon.

anemos

Insomniac
    Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2010
    um, migrate someone holding it from RSE, or MAYBE the battl etower has them

~Mithos~

- Three Days Grace -
    Years
  • um, i'm not sure what a burmy is (I know its some pokemon and its on my dex) and how do I change it's fourms

wait nevermind I know what it is, but how does it change forms?

ultima2096

~baka baka
    Years
  • burmys form changes depending on where you battled last to get the tan ground form you have to battle on roads,caves,and ruins.To get the pink steel form you have to battle inside buildings.When you catch it, it will already be in its grass form. If its female at level 20 it will evolve into wormadam (and its form will be constantly changed). If its male it will evolve into mothim.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back