• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ever ditched your starter?

Have you ever stopped using your starter? (lolpun)

• Yes, rattata/bidoof/sentret/zigzagoon make way better starters!

Votes: 27 30.7%
  • No, I lubz mah starterz.

Votes: 61 69.3%

• Total voters
Years
  • Depending on what Generation. 1st Gen I would never get rid of my Starter, 2nd Gen I still wouldn't but the 3rd and 4th I always replace them as early as possible. I normally bring over a recently hatched Pokemon of the same type to cover it. (Leafeon for Turtwig, Growlithe for Chimchar, Vaporeon for Piplup. Vaporeon and Leafeon are Eevees when I bring them over =D)

My reasons are:

1. I find the starters to be really boring.
    2. Starters can make the game really easy due to their Strength.
    3. They make decent HM Slaves =D

I occasionaly use Piplup when I get it (due to the fact Empoleon is awesome) but normally I just settle for a different Water Type that fits into my team.

Those are my reasons for avoiding using the starters.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • In Yellow, Pikachu got dumped as soon as I got to the patch of grass where Voltorb was found. Best decision I made in that game.

Otherwise, I usually keep to the starters, at least until after the Elite Four. Rarely do they make it into my competitive team, though.

Years
  • It depends. If i'm playing a challenge i pretty much always dump my starter on the box, unless i'm using it as a HM slave.
    On normal playthroughs (which i rarely do), it depends on my mood whether i keep it or not, except it's Pikachu, which i always dump.

Moltres111

<- Serious business.
    Years
  • I chose "Yes, rattata/bidoof/sentret/zigzagoon make way better starters!" just for the lulz.

Honestly though, I rarely ditch them. Until I migrate my GBA pokemon, that is.. Which I have done now.

My team lineup is now:
    <whatever poke I am training>
    Kyogre
    Shaymin-S
    Rayquaza
    Zapdos
    Metagross

If you're wondering why I am using those legendaries, it is because they're serving me well. Once I get my Adamant DDance Larvitar into a TTar and to Level 100, i'll probably ditch Ogre or Rayquaza.

Once I get my Jolly Ambipom to level 100, i'll probably ditch the remaining out of Ogre or Rayquaza.

Once I get my Adamant Breloom to Level 100, i'll probably ditch ehh.. Shaymin-S I think.

Once I get a Suicune, i'll ditch Zappy. Metagross is staying. I might get a better Metagross though. Naive 335 Atk Metagross for the fail x_X

But when i'm going through the game, i'll never ever deposit my starter.
    Never.

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    In Ruby I ditched my Combusken later on for a Camerupt.

Years
  • I actually usually carry my starter around with me. It's pretty rare when I deposit my starter.

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
  • I use my starter through the game , then after the whole storyline is done , I ditch my ENTIRE in game team in my box and train another one !

CrazyCarretta

It works!
    Years
  • Looking back I probably would have ditched treecko, mudkip or torchic because those were my least favorite starters. I still don't like Infernape much either so I swapped him for a charmander

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 29, 2019
    Lol, back when I was younger and the games were actually a bit of a challenge, no. Of course, now that I've gone through each region at least five times, I find it funner to ditch my starter and go with a different poke. Plus, the starters make the game too easy and don't encourage you to catch others =|

For Kanto: I always go up to route 22 and catch myself a spearow :3
    Of course, caterpie, rattata, or weedle work just as well. Pidgey = Fail though >=(

For Jhoto: DUNSPARCE! Having to wait for that 1% chance of appearing is a pain, but how I love to use it <3

For Hoenn: Lol, this is by far the easiest one because I like all of Hoenn's pokemon.
    Wurmple, Zigzagoon, Poochyena, Wingull, Lotad, Ralts, Seedot, Shroomish, Surskit, Slakoth, they're all fun! =D

Season

Garden Gladiator
    Years
  • Even though I got rid of my Turtwig for a Tropius, I traded a Krabby for a Piplup over GTS today. I think they're kind of cute and want to try one out.
    If I like it a lot I may breed it and send it over to HG or SS and use it as my starter on that game.
    Piplup is just adorable, I had to give him a chance. :P

Hatenko

Hiya!
    Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2010
    Let's see..

LG Blastoise - Still haven't Pal Parked it yet
    R Swampert - Nonexistant since I lost my Ruby but would've kept it
    Pt Empoleon - Ditched it, replaced with Kingdra/Starmie/Ludicolo

It's worth mentioning that I'm integrating a Blaziken into my team to add some spice, Hoenn starters are less common and I think they're sorta exotic. Plus Blaziken>Infernape.

SkyBlue

I'm in love...with Ash!
    Years
  • My starter is always on my team. They've always made me feel somehow better at the end of a wild day.

InfinIcy

I like Metroids.
    Years
    • Seen May 27, 2010
    I never have, but after getting some pokemon that I like, I leave them in the PC forever..>_>

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
    Years
  • I always keep my starter with me:D It is bond tightly forged with tears, sweat, love, and putting the smack down on nuemrous Pidgeys.

Emotion.

Mentally Burning Rainbow.
    Years
  • Diamond was the first game post E4 I didn't use my starter. Normally My starter is my highest level (even if only but 2 or 3 levels), but with Infernape it was my weakest, I just didn't like the last 2 evos at all. Post E4 my Blaziken happily took it's place, I even traded Infernape to a friend, but then traded it back to my Pt like a year later :P.

Back