• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ever ditched your starter?

Have you ever stopped using your starter? (lolpun)

• Yes, rattata/bidoof/sentret/zigzagoon make way better starters!

Votes: 27 30.7%
  • No, I lubz mah starterz.

Votes: 61 69.3%

• Total voters

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
  • I don't normally ditch my starters unless it's for a challenge or if I have some spur of the moment team I want to go with. I find myself ditching the gen. IV starters most of the time, though.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2017
    On my first time playing I won't ditch it. But if I come across a good pokemon via trade or something I'll use it in my next game.

Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2010
    Yes, in my copy of Platinum I ditched my Empoleon level 40ish, originally in favour for a Suicune, but then went for Milotic. But that's one of the few times I ever have, but there's something I just dislike about Empoleon, despite it being good...

Apostrophe

Everybody do the search dance!
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2010
    I think a better question is have I never not ditched my starter. As soon as I catch a Pokemon (usually a flying-type at the beginning of the game) I put the starter in my box, never to be used again.

Years
  • I've ditched my starter in my Pearl version. :3 I chose Piplup and traded it to my Platinum in exchange for Charmander. I have the easiest time showing up my rival now, 'coz he chose Turtwig in the beginning. xD
    Why did I do it? I was bored of Sinnoh starters. That's all. ♥

dc_united

Josh Wicks doesn't like you
    Years
  • In Diamond and Platinum I've ditched my starters after the E4. I just don't see much of a point to using them, apart from making babies to give to the GTS. I've always kept a starter on my team during the other generations though.

Years
  • I always keep my starter. Like someone said, I have a sense of loyalty and attachment to it. Since it's your first. And they're really good anyways, aside from Meganium.

Pekin

Wigglytuff is and has always been on acid.
    Years
  • Hell no. Yea, it's stupid, but yes, I do feel like an ******* ditching my starter. :P

Nincada

Please be kind.
    Years
  • I always keep my starter for my story team with the exception of yellow version pikachu.

Unfortunately, pikachu is the one you have the strongest connection to, but he just couldn't cut it in battle and couldn't even evolve. I would carry him with me so he stays happy, but he wouldn't fight.

Greeeny

Yes, that's three E's.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2011
    Only in RSE and DPPt. Most of the Pokemon from those generations just look terrible. Especially in DPPt. Starters, Bidoof, Starly, Shinx, they all look like fakemon. >_>

The Roshi

I must become stronger...
    Years
  • The only starter that has not made it to the elite four (in any game that I've played) is my first platinum run through with Empoleon. I freaking hate empoleon (In-Game!) and I haven't used it in a wifi match yet. Stupid penguin...

EDIT:
    Poll Question said:
    Have you ever stopped using your starter? (lolpun)

That's not a pun. It's irony.

Years
  • Oh yes, rather early in my one Pearl runthrough. I had an empoleon, and I ditched it for a shinx. It is currently my strongest pokemon, level... around 80 I think (haven't played in a while) she is very powerful and her name is Lurichiyo :P

Years
  • I've never really been dissapointed with the Starters and I've never NOT had my starters on my team. Even this generation when I pick up Platinum, I plan on rolling with Chimchar first!

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2009
    Hey guys 1st ever post on here
    I've never dtched my starter (bar challenges/ fantasy play throughs not based in Kanto), and always used it as the key member of my team ( in yellow basing your team around that over rated yellow rats many weaknesses and short comings is no easy feat)
    That being said I hate all 3 of generation 4's starters-they are just awful. I end up using Turtwigg alot though because a) I 'm not a fan of trading in pokemon
    and b) the only other options for grass are cherrubi and Budew in d/p

ReyRey-Pyon

THREAD KILLER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Feb 6, 2015
    Never

I've never been dissapointed with my starters, and they're always on my team :3

dutchmuffin77

...not dutch
    Years
  • in pokemon yellow i ditch pikachu as soon as i get the bulbasaur because i find him kind of useless once getting past the first couple gyms

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    Didn't think you could get rid of Pikachu in Yellow Version...

Anyway, heck no. I love my starters, I think I may have once on accident in Sapphire. However, I lost sapphire, so I'm not sure.

Back