• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ever ditched your starter?

Have you ever stopped using your starter? (lolpun)

• Yes, rattata/bidoof/sentret/zigzagoon make way better starters!

Votes: 27 30.7%
  • No, I lubz mah starterz.

Votes: 61 69.3%

• Total voters
    Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2009
    I never have and I probably never will... Although I don't care for the generation IV starters I still feel the need to keep the starter around.

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2013
    Think I might play though Firered then trading a different pokemon from the daycare to Leafgreen to add some spike to that game :)

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
    I do not ditch my Starter Pokemon for anything, unless if I am training one Pokemon, and it only. However, that comes in rare moments.

Personally, I think that Starter Pokemon are essential to a Trainer's party as one has to chance to grow with it from the very beginning till the end.

Years
    In platinum I Ditched Empoleon Due To Its Weaknesses even though i like all the Starters in all the games except torchic and bulbasaur

dozo

party hardy
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2014
    I dumped Blaziken once to see what I could do without him
    But ohhhh I went back and got him out of my box because I felt bad hahah

Charizard632

Now a great Touhou addict
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Jul 6, 2012
    Yes, and it was a devastating one. I traded Piplup for a Mesprit when I was stuck in the elite 4. When Mesprit used confusion on Drapion, it didn't had effect. So I traded Mesprit for a Pelipper (French), Because it can fly and surf at the same time. And then I realized, I MISS MY PIPLUP! T_T And finally, I traded a level 26 Cherrim for a level 100 Piplup (Japanese). I used only Piplup and Starly (About Level 21) to battle against the Elite 4. The reason why I had a Starly with me is just in case Piplup faints and I needed to use a Revive/Max Revive on Piplup. That's my story!

In Pokemon Platinum, I almost ditched my Empoleon! I traded my Empoleon for a different Pokemon, and later on, I traded a different pokemon for Empoleon.

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2010
    In Diamond, I started out with Chimchar because I knew when Eterna City came around I would need a Pokemon with ember. Let's just say that plan was epic fail because standing between my team and Gardenia was a gym of rock types.

Long story short, as soon as I could trade with one of my friends, he helped me transfer my R/S/E team over by trading them from his game to mine. Boy, did Rayquaza disobey me. I was so happy to get the last badge.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
    Nebar! I always keep my starter, until I have beaten the game, then I dump him. I always try to catch cool pokemon for my team and make every team interesting, but my starter stays with me.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I never usually use starters. I've always used bird Pokemon, however on my recent playthrough of Sapphire, it was the first time I got a starter to lvl 100 (Swampert), which is actually REALLY strong compared to what a bird Pokemon would've been.

Porygon-2000

Wobbufiend
    Years
    Honestly, in my current pearl game, I traded in a Wynaut and Ekans from my brother. It is just that I didnt really want my Turtwig, and I felt like playing the game like I wanted to play, not the way the game wanted me to, with its "choices"

Katie_Q

Pokemon master in the making
    Years
    I usually do. Except in platinum, I started with a piplup but traded it over to my diamond and got a monferno for my plat. I'm just running through my plat. version to get the pokemon only available on plat. Then I'll probably do something similar to my pearl, all to fill up my diamond version. Ugh now the stupid infernape disobeys me

Back