• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ever ditched your starter?

Have you ever stopped using your starter? (lolpun)

• Yes, rattata/bidoof/sentret/zigzagoon make way better starters!

Votes: 27 30.7%
  • No, I lubz mah starterz.

Votes: 61 69.3%

• Total voters
Years
  • I never have, but I know some people do, and I'm curious as to why. =P

Personally I never would, either. Starters have key typing throughout the game and can vastly affect how the rest of your team is formed. But I suppose that could be a reason why to get rid of the starter, too. =/

So, have you ever gotten rid of your starter in your main team, at what point in the game did you decide to, and why?

Also, what did you use in place of it?

Last edited:

Heather

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2021
    Usually I dont but for generation IV I really dont like the starters so I put mine in the GTS.

Years
  • Ever since Platinum I have always ditched my starter whenever I'm playing through a main game. Now, I wouldn't say "rattata/bidoof/sentret/zigzagoon make way better starters! ", I don't usually ditch my starter until I start seeing the more interesting Pokemon. How long that takes varies for each game. Everyone has starters, they are extremely common, and that bugs me. Plus, I didn't even like any of the Sinnoh starters. I personally prefer to have a team full of interesting and different, Pokemon, I just find that a lot more enjoyable. I guess I would say that I just replaced it with a better or cooler Pokemon.

Spearow

mr. nobody
    Years
  • Can't say that I have, come to think of it. I generally don't really plan my final party out ahead of time, and since my starter automatically gets a head-start on experience and is generally one of the better available Pokémon in the game, it's just a convenient option. Besides, I have a (misplaced?) sense of loyalty towards it.

OH! Except for when I played Gold through when I was little with a high-powered Ampharos as my sole combatant. And even then I might have had a pathetic half-evolved starter tailing along somewhere in my party...

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Starters have some of the best stats for their quick leveling speed, and they have a great level advantage. By the time you can catch level 2/3 Pokemon, your starter's already 5 levels ahead.

Starters were made to be good. Why not use them?

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    I really haven't, despite me always choosing one that I usually regret.
    Even though it's a game, I feel guilty for letting my first Pokemon rot in the storage box.

Meepman

Arogance is bliss
    Years
  • I can't imagine such a thing! *shudders how could I have beat sprout tower without cyndaquil ohkoing everything in sight?!

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
  • In Emerald, I ditched my Grovyle. He had next to useless stats and his movepool sucked. :/ I replaced him with an Aron, now a Lairon, and did so much better in the game after that.

Chaos Uxie

Spreading Chaos....
    Years
  • well i always loved my starters.but in soul sillver i dithed my starter(cyndaquil)coz i hate all jhoto pokemons(even all the legendries)and caught a shinx(ar coz shinx is my fav)

Years
  • I don't tend to ditch my starter until I'm convinced my non-starters make a strong enough team. I only have once and that was in Pokemon Sapphire

SPEEDIE

*Insert Random Joke Here*
    Years
  • yes once in emerald i ditched my Swampert because i had other stronger pokemon to smash the E4 with and has been left collecting dust ever since

chikorita125

^ ment to be Happy Azumarill
    Years
  • yeh i evolved my piplup into empoleon, then as i got to the last gym i ditched it because i had a stronger water type.

ISA56 2.0

The one and only!
    Years
  • Depends on what reigon I'm in and what the starters are like.

Kanto(remake)-Charmander, now a Charizard, not ditched

Johto(remake)-Cyndaquil, most likely will be replaced by Gyarados

Hoenn-Torchic, now a Blaziken, not ditched

Shinnoh-Chimchar, now a Infernape, replaced by either Flareon, Arcanine, or Ninetails.

XxDawnfanxX

The stubborn Pokemon Trainer
    Years
  • I usually always have my starter in my party from the moment I recieve it. It makes for a great first pokemon no matter which type you choose and thats one less type you have to worry about catching for your starting party.

Season

Garden Gladiator
    Years
  • I traded my starter for a level 5 Tropius the moment I got it and never looked back. I'm bored with the starters, I wanted to try something different.

Lucariotoes

Ah-woo.
    Years
  • I pretty much never ditched my starters to my best knowledge. The only time they leave the party is when I'm leveling up Pokemon/using other Pokemon which suit the situation (i.e. no water-types against Lt. Surge).

Broadway

Find your wings.
    Years
  • I do sometimes, and sometimes I don't. I tend to replay the games often, and it's really boring to have to--on top of ALWAYS accounting for pokemon who can learn the HMs--have to lose one slot on a starter. Of course they're awesome, they're designed to help you through the game, but if I'm in the mood for a change, I'll put it away, and pretend I started off with a Mankey or whatever.

If I'm playing DPPt i'll usually have traded some level ones over, but then I'll need my starter at least until I have enough badges that they listen to me, hehe. DPPt is most likely to have my started boxed, too, because I like them the least of all starters. I don't dislike them, really, but they don't appeal to me like all the others do (including RSE, oddly, which is my least favourite generation. But--Swampert!).

mattman324

Run to the hills, run for your lives!
    Years
  • Well, I did a Gyara solo run in FR once, and I also had an Electric monotype run in Red (and Crystal, and soon Emerald), but BESIDES challenges like that, no, I don't usually ditch my starter. I'm not saying Biberal, Ratacate, Linoone, or Furret (hey, aranged in order of usefulness ingame!) are BETTER, but occasionally, I don't use a starter.

I would normally take Bulbasaur/Chicorita/Mudkip/Piplup for those occasions (Free HM Slave!)

Back