• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
  • What problems did you face when you first began writing fanfiction?

Ah. That's a good one.

Rushing, spelling, definitions, grammar(still do it, too), typos, the list goes on. I'm only on my second fan fic. Actually, I need to be posting the last chapter to my first...which is horrible, and it's not on here...I want to forget I wrote it.

But, I really hate commas in dialogue. Serverly. Bobandbill always gets me for it. xD

Unforgettable

Melodies of Life
    Years

I started a really young age. And I usually came across the problems of proper grammar and staying in the same person.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
  • SilverSmeargleSplatter said:
    But, I really hate commas in dialogue. Serverly. Bobandbill always gets me for it. xD
    Oh god, Astinus knows as well as I do that I had a serious problem with this. I'm on my third fic and this problem lasted well into my second one. But after observing hundreds of corrections she made for me, I finally noticed the pattern and now it's pretty rare to see me make those mistakes anymore.

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    What problems did you face when you first began writing fanfiction?

-Releasing chapters too fast without proofreading or spellchecking.
    -Not separating paragraphs as much.
    -Little detail or description.
    -Coming up with plots for the chapter.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    *Thinking of stuff to have my character do to stray from the "game clone" plot that seems to bore everybody
    *At first, short chapters - long enough to be in the rules, but not long enough to contain enough events for a real "chapters"
    *And of course, having to deal with the fact that most forums don't have an "equation editor" - Because of that, I can't put in the integral signs and summation symbols that I would have really wanted to.

But since my fic is based around a region that I had previously created for a forum-based RPG, mapping that out was NOT an issue;)

But, I really hate commas in dialogue.
    Astinus caught that mistake for me very early on - after I picked it up, I started preaching it to other authors and even made a topic about it over at the lagger. I'd like to bring it over here since the old grammar thread by Astinus seems to have vanished.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Oh god, Astinus knows as well as I do that I had a serious problem with this. I'm on my third fic and this problem lasted well into my second one. But after observing hundreds of corrections she made for me, I finally noticed the pattern and now it's pretty rare to see me make those mistakes anymore.

I don't think she's read mine yet. O_o But, I usually grab a book or something and look for dialogue as my reference. But Edgar Allan Poe isn't going to help me on this one.

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
    Years
    Heh, my problems are kind of different from everybody else's. I had very evidently foreignerish grammar at times and misspellings here and there, but nothing that made it unreadable, and I instinctively knew approximately how to paragraph and punctuate dialogue just from reading enough books. However, I had a major problem with getting the plot to make any sense in general. I didn't think anything through, spontaneously stuffed about twenty hilariously stupid legendary Pokémon I'd made up into it and wrote in a ridiculous number of random plot holes and didn't wonder about the consequences of anything I did in general. I'm still today trying to clean up the mess that is the plot of The Quest for the Legends.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years

I used to write my fics in Notepad (because this was the only way I knew how to do TXT files, way back in the day when I had computers that came only with Microsoft Works -- which saved word processing documents as WPS files... which weren't supported by FFNet), so while I knew how to start new paragraphs and had a decent grasp on capitalization and punctuation... my spelling was crap. Seriously. It was.

Also, because I didn't know how much I was actually writing, my stuff usually came out as one- or two-page POSes that were done in about an hour sitting in front of the computer. Some of my pieces today still are one- or two-page POSes, but I tended to be slightly less descriptive OR overly descriptive to the point where I'd mention irrelevant details.

Which brings up my most major problem: I HAD MARY SUES. Okay, yes, I admit it. I had Mary Sues. I wrote so many it's not even funny. Some of them were inserts of my friends. Some of them were me with prettier hair (oh, my love for purple hair back then) and the pants of my favorite character at the time. (There was one for Ash, one for James, one for Tracey, and somehow, Bill was a pedophile. *headdesk*) Some even had uber special POWERS -- mostly, psychic abilities and uncanny knacks for screwing with reality. It was not a proud era of my life, but at least I know now what I didn't know then.

Storylines tended to be hit and miss. Sometimes, I came up with interesting storylines (like a very early work of mine where Ash's Pikachu turned out to be the reincarnation of his father... which is a storyline I still like, even though I don't like any of the rest of the work and thank the gods that people actually took it as a humor fic), but most of the time, I liked to have my characters angst. I still do, but back then, I had very little grasp of key concepts like "plausibility" and "in-character." I won't go into examples because a lot of them are exceedingly painful to remember because they're so outlandish they're nearly comedies. I really didn't know how to do darkfic as a teenager. I really didn't. And yet, I tried and tried again to the point where most of my fics were pretty much that. Or crappy parodies and script fics. Okay, I didn't know how to do any genre decently.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • @Jax- What's 'Mary Sue'? Sounds like a country hick. X.x They sound bad...so I commend you for admitting to it. -patpat-

Bay

Years

-Grammar, tenses being the biggest problem. I'm getting better at it though tenses are still my problem and also I tend to have awkward sentences.

-Description. It would be either listy or not enough. I managed to fix that problem somewhat, though my description tend to be not enough in a few places here and there.

-Sometimes I tend to go a bit too fast during the proofreading process and not looking it over a few times before I post it or send it to my beta reader.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
  • @Jax- What's 'Mary Sue'? Sounds like a country hick. X.x They sound bad...so I commend you for admitting to it. -patpat-

A Mary-Sue is essentially a perfect character (female, Gary-Stu is male) with absolutely no flaws, has an uncanny ability to be suddenly loved by everyone and is different from the "norm". If the main character is a mary-sue/gary-stu then the story is most likely a cliche.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • A Mary-Sue is essentially a perfect character (female, Gary-Stu is male) with absolutely no flaws, has an uncanny ability to be suddenly loved by everyone and is different from the "norm". If the main character is a mary-sue/gary-stu then the story is most likely a cliche.

To add, and even if a Mary Sue tries to have flaws (angsty past, certain personality quirks, et cetera), usually, they don't stop the character from being over-the-top or otherwise the sort of character who not only steals the show but also usually violates a few laws of canon or physics as well. Usually, there are also odd visual cues (Pokemorphs, odd hair/eye color that makes full abuse of the thesaurus, general description that spends paragraphs describing clothing), background, or powers that also tend to add to the godliness of the character. (Of course, you don't necessarily have to have an odd appearance or a set of powers to be a Mary Sue. You just need to be the sort of character who disregards the usual rules of fanfiction.)

Also, yes, storylines tend to be cliche because the author tends to not think outside the box, so to speak. Mary Sues tend to happen because authors aren't creative enough to work with boundaries like, say, developed characters with developed personalities -- or, for that matter, the laws of the natural world. It's possible, though, to have a storyline that isn't a cliche and still end up with a Mary Sue. (For example, I once read a Sue profile for a character in a story centering around the Pokemon world's CIA. Yes, you read that correctly. CIA.) Unfortunately, for the Pokemon fandom, this usually happens less frequently than in most other fandoms.

If you'd like a clearer definition, for once, Wikipedia has an excellent article. I also highly recommend going through a list of Pokemon Mary Sues, if only because it provides hilarious examples.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years

Probably a far few too many mistakes end up in my work when I started (less than a year ago...) - have being going through it now in the reposting and fixing the many errors I discovered... mostly grammer and that. Oh, and the use of commas. I didn't really know anything about those rules to begin with - just the basic idea. I guess now I start to go on about that too...

Also, maybe a lack of description - although my story really isn't focusing on that, as it isn't the point of it. Have been considering adding a bit more in places however, when i have some time for it.

Somethings are a little more 'bare' and less 'flowy' in the eariler chapters than the latter ones I've noticed, such as how events are described.

Astinus caught that mistake for me very early on - after I picked it up, I started preaching it to other authors and even made a topic about it over at the lagger. I'd like to bring it over here since the old grammar thread by Astinus seems to have vanished.
    That's a good guide, I have to say.

Here's another question: What 4th-gen Pokemon do you see to be used more than others in fics?
    I'd have to say Lucario/Riolu, Gallade, and the starters.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023

Being a perfectionist. I announced my fan fiction in December, first chapter wasn't posted until January, which isn't that bad when you come to grasps with reality and figured out that I still haven't posted chapter two.

I enjoy editing.

I used to write my fics in Notepad (because this was the only way I knew how to do TXT files, way back in the day when I had computers that came only with Microsoft Works -- which saved word processing documents as WPS files... which weren't supported by FFNet), so while I knew how to start new paragraphs and had a decent grasp on capitalization and punctuation... my spelling was crap. Seriously. It was.

Also, because I didn't know how much I was actually writing, my stuff usually came out as one- or two-page POSes that were done in about an hour sitting in front of the computer. Some of my pieces today still are one- or two-page POSes, but I tended to be slightly less descriptive OR overly descriptive to the point where I'd mention irrelevant details.

Which brings up my most major problem: I HAD MARY SUES. Okay, yes, I admit it. I had Mary Sues. I wrote so many it's not even funny. Some of them were inserts of my friends. Some of them were me with prettier hair (oh, my love for purple hair back then) and the pants of my favorite character at the time. (There was one for Ash, one for James, one for Tracey, and somehow, Bill was a pedophile. *headdesk*) Some even had uber special POWERS -- mostly, psychic abilities and uncanny knacks for screwing with reality. It was not a proud era of my life, but at least I know now what I didn't know then.

Storylines tended to be hit and miss. Sometimes, I came up with interesting storylines (like a very early work of mine where Ash's Pikachu turned out to be the reincarnation of his father... which is a storyline I still like, even though I don't like any of the rest of the work and thank the gods that people actually took it as a humor fic), but most of the time, I liked to have my characters angst. I still do, but back then, I had very little grasp of key concepts like "plausibility" and "in-character." I won't go into examples because a lot of them are exceedingly painful to remember because they're so outlandish they're nearly comedies. I really didn't know how to do darkfic as a teenager. I really didn't. And yet, I tried and tried again to the point where most of my fics were pretty much that. Or crappy parodies and script fics. Okay, I didn't know how to do any genre decently.

Jax, I demand to see these fics.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    The Grammar Thread was taken down because I had plans to rework it. For reference, here's the link. If you would like to, DarkPersian, you may bring yours over from the lagger. I doubt that my plans for a new thread will come to a start.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Jax, I demand to see these fics.

Unfortunately, either I've taken a number of them down, or the sites that hosted them went down. XD The earliest pieces o' steaming crap you can find from me now (without digging around for a Yahoo! Group) are still on Fanfiction.net. Stones is an example of the angstfests I used to do, while Warp Series is loaded with Sues, Stus, and at least two instances of canon rape (one of which is the main character). Also revel in the fact that the writing is dry and boring to the point where it makes the first two chapters of Midsummer Knights look like Die Hard. And no, that's not the only fic where the writing was headdesk-worthy for one reason or another. *motions to How Bizarre and the incomplete serials*

Scytheteen

What is mine is yours
    Years
    • Age 29
    • NY
    • Seen Jan 29, 2014
    Yeah, and i ttly now y dat thred wuz closed. Twas mee nd Lord94.

Anywhoooo

I wrote way to n00bish and didn't post quite enough. Want to see my first piece of writing on here? Clik much?

Annnnd, i luvre how none of u liked meh fanfic teh best. :<

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • What 4th-gen Pokemon do you see to be used more than others in fics?

All the starters, Riolu, and any legendary. It's annoying, really. I've been using Honchkrow...but that's only because Silver has a Murkrow, and I figured it's time to evolve. That and I've suddenly fallen in love with Honchkrow. <3

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
  • What 4th-gen Pokemon do you see to be used more than others in fics?

All the starters, Riolu, and any legendary. It's annoying, really. I've been using Honchkrow...but that's only because Silver has a Murkrow, and I figured it's time to evolve. That and I've suddenly fallen in love with Honchkrow. <3
    I have a Lucario in my fic and the legendaries are a must. Of course, I chose my Pokemon for specific reasons.

Anyways, as the 4th Gen is the newest, I don't have a problem with anyone using them in their fics. However, I have seen a few stories with trainers getting Gible as a starter, setting up the stage for a Mary-sue/Gary-stu character.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Anyways, as the 4th Gen is the newest, I don't have a problem with anyone using them in their fics. However, I have seen a few stories with trainers getting Gible as a starter, setting up the stage for a Mary-sue/Gary-stu character.

Gee, now I'm hoping my made-up character doesn't suit this 'Mary-Sue' description. X.x Does having a Shiny Umbreon contribute? I only gave her Pokemon I actually have...sooo...and it's the only shiny she has. I didn't give her my shiny Crobat...just the Umbreon...named BlueRay. ^^ And I haven't written about her, yet...I don't plan on it anytime soon, either. She's kinda just...here...in my mind.

About the legendaries, I should've said I don't like to see them used the wrong way. In annoying 'OMG its liek sooper p0werfull!!1111!!! CONTROL U ALLZ~!!!!!QW!@!@!111' ways.

(Oh wow, did it just make a link to all that junk I posted? xD)

Annnnd, i luvre how none of u liked meh fanfic teh best. :<

You're not alone on that one. But oh well! I didn't think anyone would like mine the best. xD

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back