• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I'm stickying this, since this is the official discussion for the FFC.

Have fun, enjoy, and hope to see some stories soon.

Scytheteen

What is mine is yours
Years
  • Age 29
  • NY
  • Seen Jan 29, 2014
WHUT!?!?!

No more rudeness! I don't know what you were on hanak- I mean Asty, when you said that. Rudeness is the only pleasure left in life today. <_<

What do you guys think of epic fics? You think having the fic as an epic genre makes it more deveolped, thought out, and better quality or is the epic genre a bit overated sometimes?

Overated. Every time. Even if some of the greatest fanfic authors on here like Breezy, Saffire Persian or Jax Malcom (sorry Asty, I never saw any of your work XP) made an epic fic, I wouldn't even bother to read it.

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
It's more of a piece of crap that you step in randomly in the woods, and you have to head to class in a few minutes, but you realize "oh shi- I stepped in deer droppin's", so you meander around trying to find a stick to clean off your shoe. And then you crawl out of the woods into the teacher's parking lot with a stick in your hands, and you're looking for a specific car, and then you have to run to class because the police are staring at you because you're in the teacher's parking lot looking for a car with a stick.

In other words: no angst. Just crap.

But that's the better kind of crap. XD The angst crap just sits in the corner and writes bad poetry.

And I was so going to give you a term of endearment, but I couldn't think of one that fits you, and I really don't like those terms of endearments.

This is probably for the better, as any response I may have had would probably have gotten me kicked off PC.

lol j/k bby ur the greatest

lol ilu 2

Hey hey! Don't forget that that woman won a bathing suit competition! She beat out James!

You have a point there. And I have no doubt about the way she carries herself around. I mean, she looks about, what, in her twenties? And Ash is ten? Kinda shady there, if you know what I mean. No doubt "your father, Ash" is just another way of saying, "Actually, I don't know who fathered you."

The name "Astinus" makes me think of gods. Gods > underwear...perhaps.

Depends on what god. I mean, if you get someone like Loki who seems to have a penchant for gender changing and mothering horses, then I don't think you can take this as a compliment.

Jax, every time you post in this thread, my brain dies.

I aim to please. =D

What do you guys think of epic fics? You think having the fic as an epic genre makes it more deveolped, thought out, and better quality or is the epic genre a bit overated sometimes?

I find that epic fics are a little inevitable in this fandom for the simple reason that Pokemon is, in itself, an epic. Well, an endless one (in the anime) or one with a very vague character who may or may not come back transformed (in the games). But one nonetheless!

Seriously, I don't mind them as long as the author knows what to do with them. Too many times, I've seen really bad attempts at doing epic fics or epic fics that start off okay or actually good but just sort of die after awhile because the author just loses inspiration/motivation to work on it. So, to actually answer the question, I don't find them overrated or whatnot at all. It's just that I hope enough people realize what they're getting into when they start one.

What do you think the new FFC prompt should be?

Your mom.

Okay, really, I haven't the faintest. It's April next. Probably something full of spring and bunnies and Moses.

But if it was your mom, that would be awesome.

Last edited:

Sike_Saner

*aromatisse noise*
Years
What do you guys think of epic fics? You think having the fic as an epic genre makes it more developed, thought out, and better quality or is the epic genre a bit overrated sometimes?

I think that being of that genre makes a fic... well, of that genre. o.o; That's all. I personally don't think that being of the "epic" genre predisposes a fic to be better, worse, or anything else compared to fics of any other genre.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
No more rudeness! I don't know what you were on hanak- I mean Asty, when you said that.
Well, we can go crazy, just not too crazy. People just don't appreciate my sense of humor. Besides, I've been sniffing the Glade Clean Linen gel packs (my friend wanted me to steal them out of work. I did, and they exploded on my floor right under the chair that I sit in all day) and now I just have a really horrible headache.

lol ilu 2
ttly? ilu 4eva

I mean, if you get someone like Loki who seems to have a penchant for gender changing and mothering horses, then I don't think you can take this as a compliment.
Unless you've been hitting the Glade Clean Linen, in which case I do take that as a compliment.

Your mom.
We think too much alike. This was going to be my response as well.

Probably something full of spring and bunnies and Moses.
Sweet fancy Moses?

But if it was your mom, that would be awesome.
And dredged up from the last page:

HEY EVERYONE READ MY FIC NOW ITS THE BEST FIC EVER AND ITS BETTER THAN YOU OR YOUR MOM OR YOUR MOMS MOM AND GRAMMAR IS FOR LOSERS THAT GO TO COLLEGE AND BECOME ENGLISH MAJORS NO ONE READS ANYMORE SO THEY MAKE FUN OF THE LOSER WHO CARRIES A BOOK IN HER POCKET

READ MY FIC NOW OR ELSE FACE MY WRATH

Scytheteen

What is mine is yours
Years
  • Age 29
  • NY
  • Seen Jan 29, 2014
Well, we can go crazy, just not too crazy. People just don't appreciate my sense of humor. Besides, I've been sniffing the Glade Clean Linen gel packs (my friend wanted me to steal them out of work. I did, and they exploded on my floor right under the chair that I sit in all day) and now I just have a really horrible headache.

Sweet fancy Moses?

And dredged up from the last page:

HEY EVERYONE READ MY FIC NOW ITS THE BEST FIC EVER AND ITS BETTER THAN YOU OR YOUR MOM OR YOUR MOMS MOM AND GRAMMAR IS FOR LOSERS THAT GO TO COLLEGE AND BECOME ENGLISH MAJORS NO ONE READS ANYMORE SO THEY MAKE FUN OF THE LOSER WHO CARRIES A BOOK IN HER POCKET

READ MY FIC NOW OR ELSE FACE MY WRATH

...I'd rather feel your rathe (pfft, you spelt it wrong!) then read your dumb-dumb fik.

And we need something Jewish related as a prompt. Month after month it's all christian biased, even though we've only had one month and it was rain.

Hm.

And I need to fit some sort of fanfiction related topic into here in fear of getting an infraction from my own pair and getting banned again (the irony in that is spectatular!), so um...

What pokemon do you love to see in fanfics?

Wailord and Skitty. Seriously.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
A Pikachu with the name of Andy. I lurve him to pieces. But he's mine!

And we need something Jewish related as a prompt. Month after month it's all christian biased, even though we've only had one month and it was rain.
This almost almost made me want to type an emoticon. Instead, I'll just waggle my finger and tell you "No, Scytheteen. No. Those beans were not for you!" In other words, that nearly treaded the line of good taste, but I'm not sure, since I hang around with people who cross that line all the time.

Saffire Persian

Feline of Light and Shadow
Years
  • Age 36
  • Utah
  • Seen Nov 7, 2011

Guess :0

Barmitzvah? Or maybe Ahf Tsu Loches or... Hanukkah!

Scytheteen

What is mine is yours
Years
  • Age 29
  • NY
  • Seen Jan 29, 2014
No, it should be like, Jewish.

I'd make my story 'Pikachu get's a Jewish hat'

Now that would be quality writing

Bay

Years

Haha, would like to see that! XD

I think we had that topic a while ago? O.o

Anyways, I would like to see more Drifblm. Don't know why, but that Pokemon amuses me for some reason. XD

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
My, how things have changed since I've been here last...

Anyway, I don't know if I'll be continuing my main fic here (rewriting it is taking too much of my time) unless I can get moderator permission to post 40 chapters in quick-fire succession so I can leave the Big Green Forum (and all the noobs, flamers, and, most recently, plagiarists who I've had to deal with there).

Depending on April's prompt, I may have a one-shot for it.

Anyway, to answer some stuff:

Depends, but if I went by personal experience with fics alone, my answer would be, "no". There are several "epic" fics (one of which I'm seriously considering stopping reading) where it's overhyped by the author as well as readers. And I've yet to find a fic where "epic" actually isn't synonymous with "horribly convoluted plot that nobody, not even the author, comprehends."

I'm willing to bet there are some that aren't over-rated but my search has failed miserably thus far. Then again, I'm not really aggressively hunting for new fics to read at this time, anyhow.

I'm partial to "Buick" myself.

*looks at user-name* But I'd really like to see it portrayed in a "non-evil role" in some fic that is not written by me. So far, it's been hard to come by.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Anyway, I don't know if I'll be continuing my main fic here (rewriting it is taking too much of my time) unless I can get moderator permission to post 40 chapters in quick-fire succession so I can leave the Big Green Forum (and all the noobs, flamers, and, most recently, plagiarists who I've had to deal with there).
DO EET.

And if anyone complains, send them my way.

It's not fair for you to be stuck over in Green Lag Land where people treat you horribly (and I have no idea why), so if posting your fic quickly here will make you happier because you can move on, then fine. So do what you need to, DP. And if you have any concerns, questions, comments, let me know.

As for the change here? Astinus is the 2008 version of Hanako Tabris. She's badder, snarkier, and a lot more happier than before.

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
Years
  • Seen Dec 12, 2016
DO EET.

And if anyone complains, send them my way.

It's not fair for you to be stuck over in Green Lag Land where people treat you horribly (and I have no idea why), so if posting your fic quickly here will make you happier because you can move on, then fine. So do what you need to, DP. And if you have any concerns, questions, comments, let me know.

As for the change here? Astinus is the 2008 version of Hanako Tabris. She's badder, snarkier, and a lot more happier than before.

Here here! I too was once stuck at the Green Lag Land. Luckily, I left upon posting only four chapters of my fic. I've got thirty-six chapters here! Squee! I think it'd be fine he/she posted 40 chapters in successsion.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years

Ohhh. That's easy.

Big Fat Bibarel. I think I'll write a story about Big Fat Bibarel holding up someone at a gas station and stealing the keys to his pick-up truck and stealing this person's woman. My boyfriend laughed so hard about that...but I told him he should stop cause it might happen to him. X.o

Oh my gosh. xD I'd read that in a heartbeat. What are those things called...like makassins or something? Wait...those are shoes. X.x Ummm...ok, I think you should just stick to Jewish hat.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
Years

I want someone to describe how butt ugly the new evos in the 4th Gen!

Last edited:

Scytheteen

What is mine is yours
Years
  • Age 29
  • NY
  • Seen Jan 29, 2014
It's like, Yarmulake (yam-a-ka). I was too lazy to write it all so I stuck with Jewish hat. I was also thinking something along the lines of 'Drew gets Bar Mitzvahed' or 'Ash becomes a Mensh' or something else Jewish related.

;;

Annnnnd, a new topic

How this: >:[ a smiley if it's not smiling?

Last edited:

Yamato-san

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Feb 15, 2012
Hanako, eh? So you're the uppity b.atch I encountered in that "What makes a good villain?" thread? And here I was thinking you were some corrupted mod who wandered in from another forum. And no, clearly I'm not fond of your new "style", but I'm the type of person who usually prefers to keep his discussions straight-forward with minimal joke posts.

I think we had that topic a while ago? O.o

I think so too, and as usual, I'd prefer not to bother answering a question I'm certain I already answered before.

genres aren't overrated, only pieces within a genre are. It's the same with every genre really, and just like all of them, there can be some genuinely good ones, and some over-hyped stinkers (mind you, I speak of media in general, not so much fanfiction). I can agree that epics tend to be the most popular thing, and I'd say a lot, but not all, of my stories are epics themselves. I think they probably work best with longer-running stories, usually, and a good majority of anime and manga tend to follow a serial format (RPG games, likewise, are arguably the longest type of video games out there). With that said, it's probably natural for people to want a story that's expected to last a while, which could explain why the genre's so popular.

not participating, don't care.

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
Years
The person who first called it a "smiley" was under the influence of LSD and thought it was part of a consciousness shift? I dunno.

More importantly, I think Astinus sounds like... I dunno, something out of a really cheesy fantasy novel. The kind that Eragon plagiarized from, but dismally failed. And it makes me think of an old guy sitting around dispensing sage wisdom to random members of the populace.

Jewishness for the April prompt? I won't be able to write anything without thinking 'HOLOCAUST! HOLOCAUST!' and envisioning the slaughter of millions of people in front of me while my sanity slowly erodes. (Seriously, I've been diagnosed as being slightly unstable mentally. Apparently I have issues about envisioning people in pain. 0.o)

Or I could write something about Ash and Latkes. That might work. XD

Er.... new topic quickly.

Are post-apocalyptic fics all the same? Discuss.

I'm starting to wonder. There seems to be two variations on the post-armageddon fic. One has everything going to pot and everyone is dying or dead around you. The other involves the world being restabilized before the fic begins, but personal freedoms have vanished or the world is compromised in some other way (Lois Lowry's The Giver is dedicated to a future of that sort, though we aren't told the events that led up to it.) The former seems to be the kind that shows up in fanfic form most often, and usually portrays a zero-future world in which every effort is hopeless. The question here is "that may make sense, but is the genre getting stale because there's nothing left to add?"

Scales

Man of Infinite Jest
Years
Are post-apocalyptic fics all the same? Discuss

No I don't think so. I have read the Chrysalids and it is very different from Apocalyptic fics like I am legend. It takes place like 1000 years in the future where there are only just slight mutants after a nuclear holocaust. It really shows how religion has very bad consequences if taken way to seriously.

It all depends on who wrote it. If a better writer writes it you would notice the quality of the world being much better to read then if a beginner wrote it

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
How this: >:[ a smiley if it's not smiling?

That's good. Ummm...kinda like a goldfish that's not gold?

It's smiling on the inside. :D

Are post-apocalyptic fics all the same? Discuss.

Ah, in such cases as The Giver, which I hated immensely, then it's just plain weird. What was it now? Purple skies...orange grass. That's a completley new way to look at the future. O.o

For things such as I Am Legend, it certainly doesn't make me wanna get any injections anytime soon. Goodness, no. That scares me about the future. So, not all of these types of stories are the same. There's different interpretations of the future.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back