• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Finally, Facts about DS and PSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Denver

Banned
    Years
    Nintendo DS

Dual processor - ARM 7, ARM 9
    4MB main memory
    16-channel sound
    Twin backlit 3" 256x192 LCD screens
    Lithium-ion battery/ 10 hours
    1GB cartridge format
    Supports GBA cartridges / dual slot
    Supports 802.11b Wi-Fi connectivity
    Proprietary wireless connectivity

Sony PSP

333MHz CPU
    32MB main memory, 4MB dram
    3-D sound, 7.1 channel
    4.3" 480 x 272 TFT LCD screen
    Lithium-ion battery / 2.5 hours
    Universal Media Disk / 1.8GB cap.
    Links to the PS2 via USB 2.0
    Supports 802.11b Wi-Fi connectivity
    IR and IrDA connectivity

Frankly, I have no idea what most of this mumbo jumbo means. (where is sarah, she could tell us this). I do notice however the difference in battery life. You tellin me I can only play PSP for 2 and a half hours at a time? puh-leaze...

John Denver

Banned
    Years
    The big deal is your not always at home or in a car...and you have to buy an adapter...

"WeLl itss only ten bux!"

Thats 10 bucks too much. What if your at an airport, or you just wanna walk with it.

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
    Years
    Brittany15 said:
    Battery life? When you're in your car, charge it while you play.
    When you're at home, charge it while you play.

I don't see the big deal.
    It is a rechargable battery. Which means it has to charge 12 hours for every 2.5 hours. And that is just for playing mp3s from what I've heard. It is supposedly shorter for movies and even shorter for games.

Hmm and connecting to PS2. Sounds very very familiar. Alomost like the GCN to GBA link. Oh what a surprise it is just like it. Just like the big companies to only care about money. If anything does slightly well they copy it and call it their own. That is the only reason the Playstation or X-Box exists is to leech off the popularity of video games and make money for the executives. They saw Nintendo and Sega getting money and were jealous, now I bet they are going to try to get Square-Enix to port over Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles to the PS2 since it was so popular on GCN and now they have a handheld that can connect to their system.

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    I would hope they don?t port CC to the PS2. Aren?t there only two USB ports on a PS2 anyways? I don?t really see it being used like the GCN-GBA link. Perhaps it has that capability, but it?s probably more for playback and perhaps a GBA Player like function.
    Anyways, if that battery life is for real, that is pretty bad for a handheld. I don?t play games out of home really, but a good example would be a long bus ride. I doubt they?ll let you charge it then, and it?d be a shame to only have 2 hours or so of play. =\ If you're only going to play at home it kind of defeats the point of it being...you know, portable. I don't think it'd take that long to charge the battery though Shadow. o_O They look pretty comparative otherwise though, why is the PSP such a energy glutton? Of course I have no idea what I?m saying, so? ~_~

Brittany

Back?
    Years
    Shadow said:
    It is a rechargable battery. Which means it has to charge 12 hours for every 2.5 hours. And that is just for playing mp3s from what I've heard. It is supposedly shorter for movies and even shorter for games.

Hmm and connecting to PS2. Sounds very very familiar. Alomost like the GCN to GBA link. Oh what a surprise it is just like it. Just like the big companies to only care about money. If anything does slightly well they copy it and call it their own. That is the only reason the Playstation or X-Box exists is to leech off the popularity of video games and make money for the executives. They saw Nintendo and Sega getting money and were jealous, now I bet they are going to try to get Square-Enix to port over Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles to the PS2 since it was so popular on GCN and now they have a handheld that can connect to their system.

You don't have to use 12 hours to charge a battery. The battery will probably charge in less than 4. My laptop doesent even take that long to charge.

They probably won't even need to ask Square-Enix to port, they will probably do it themselves. Plus, Final Fantasy XI sold way better than FF-CC. Maybe Nintendo will ask Square to put FFXI on GCN.

The link is an idea anyone could use. Its not like they are only doing it because Nintendo did it. I have a feeling that there will be a PSP version of Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories, and I would love it if I could link It to Kingdom Hearts 2.

I do hope something gets done about that battery life though. Its not a crazy issue for me though.

Dakota said:
    The big deal is your not always at home or in a car...and you have to buy an adapter...

"WeLl itss only ten bux!"

Thats 10 bucks too much. What if your at an airport, or you just wanna walk with it.
    I have a feeling that the car adapter will come with it. As I have said before, only time can tell.

Last edited:

John Denver

Banned
    Years
    I can almost guarantee you that a car adapter will NOT come with it. In the worlds history of handhelds there have been about 25-30 or so handhelds total. And how many of them have come with free car adapters with them? 0...

Sony may be the leader in Electronic hardware, but as far as gaming hardware goes..they're in last place. The X-Box and gamecube are both FAR FAR FAR faster than the PS2 and the praphics are almost always better.

I mean...just look at metroid prime. No lag...and the saving loading times are non-existant. It's all good

Brittany

Back?
    Years
    Blah

Dakota said:
    I can almost guarantee you that a car adapter will NOT come with it. In the worlds history of handhelds there have been about 25-30 or so handhelds total. And how many of them have come with free car adapters with them? 0...

Sony may be the leader in Electronic hardware, but as far as gaming hardware goes..they're in last place. The X-Box and gamecube are both FAR FAR FAR faster than the PS2 and the praphics are almost always better.

I mean...just look at metroid prime. No lag...and the saving loading times are non-existant. It's all good
    Sony is smart enough to not let this happen. GBASP showed them the way through this issue. Plus they understand the 2.5 hour issue(you don't think they already thought of this?) With a price that will probably be over $300 on a handheld, I'm sure that they will include a simple accesory like that.
    And actually, there are lots of handheld items that are having car adapters bundled with them. Ever heard of the car-ready walkman? Its been out for a while but now its starting to be sold in more stores and stuff. Signs that Sony is progressing in this issue.

I've had worst graphics/lag experiance with Gamecube/Xbox.
    I guess it just depends on the games. Is your PS2 set on fast loading?
    If not, then when the first menu comes up(it says browser and System Config.) press Triangle. Go to Playstation Driver. Press Triangle. Then go to load speed. It should be on standard. Change it to fast. :D

I'll debate later

fudge01

Uzumaki Naruto!
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 28, 2006
    Man this brittany is every where were she heres psp and ds in the same sentence -_- kingdom hearts chains of memories is already going to be on gba(sp) so now who is asking square enix to port it over and ffx1 by far was not more popular than ffcc and battery power meh what a waste of time even buying the console and it seems brittany actually works for playstation with all the crap she comes up with how would you know what there going to do where did you get your info from hu hu hu i've never had lag with my gamecube ever but wiht my ps2 heh alot

aaaaaa

Cause they're false.
    The PS2 doesn't have USB2.0, only USB1.2
    The PSP was announced to have two seperate processors, one for gaming, one for media.
    And if the DS intends to have 1GB Carts, they're going to cost a crapload, given the price of solidstate memory.
    Perhaps they mean 1Gb?
    As in 128MB?

So given the discrepincies, these specs can be nothing more than pure speculation.
    Sorry guys, but you'll have to unload your anti-PSP cannons, cause you still don't have any solid facts to work upon.

Last edited:

Kipkip

Join the Revolution
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jun 24, 2007
    The battery life was the reason every other handheld failed. GB had the worst graphics of any handheld at it's time, but it won because of the battery life. The on handhelds were much better at everything, like the PSP, but the battery life was about an hour to two hours long. So I have a question, why would Sony release a handheld with only 2.5 hours of battery life? That has to be some kind of a mistake. Either that or Sony's an idoit like every other handheld company before it except for Nintendo. If it does have 2.5 hours of battery life when it comes out, many gamers will be disapointed, like me, and it will fail.

fudge01

Uzumaki Naruto!
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 28, 2006
    WHy can't it have 1gb carts the actually discs inside carts and gamecueb have 1.5gb discs and they don't cost a 'crapload' se yeah

aaaaaa

If it is infact a disc inside a casing, then it's exactly what the PSP uses.
    That means that all your arguments about load times, skipping, fragility, all goes out the window.
    Indeed, all your arguments about battery life go bye bye as well.
    Whats going to suck down more juice? Two TFT's, of which one is a touchscreen, reading a disc media, or a single TFT reading disc media?
    Wow, thats not hard to figure out.

fudge01

Uzumaki Naruto!
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 28, 2006
    ahhh but these are different ;) the psp disc is a real minidisc but with the ds who knows what kind of disc they are and of course the psp is going to suck more batterys

aaaaaa

The PSP is not a minidisc. It's similiar to a minidisc, and if the NDS uses the same concept, it will be just as similiar.
    A reflective disc media inside a nonremovable caddy.
    Now lets go over facts, assuming that NDS games do use this media.

The PSP has a single screen.
    Sony have been using this type of media for ten years, and can get 54 hours battery life out of a minidisc player as is.

The NDS has two screens
    Nintendo have NEVER used this kind of media.

I wonder which will realistically use more battery power?
    Silly fanboi.

fudge01

Uzumaki Naruto!
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 28, 2006
    LOL i have never waited for my gc to load EVA! and psp is gay so yeah

aaaaaa

My Gamecube takes just as long to load as my PS2.
    And how exactly is a console capable of sexuality?
    But thats beside the point.
    The NDS doesn't use disc media.
    New Media: For its compact cards....memory capacity of more than one gigabit of information.
    Thats 128MB. Still not gonna see FMV in NDS games.
    So backwards thinking.

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    Am?I the only one here who?s surprised she has a GCN? XP She?ll probably hurt me now?
    She has a good point about the DS though, two screens would mean a lot more juice, so either that 10 hours isn?t right or the PSP will have, what, 20 hours? PSP has otherwise better specs though, so?@_@

Kipkip

Join the Revolution
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jun 24, 2007
    Gamespot sayys this:
    Gamespot said:
    nside the PSP, the device will have a 333MHz PSP CPU proprietary to Sony. It will have 32MB of main memory and 4MB of embedded DRAM. Its built-in lithium-ion battery will have a life of 2.5 hours with video and 10 hours if used for audio playback only. For media, the PSP will use Sony's new Universal Media Disc (UMD), which can hold up to 1.8GB of data, three times that of a conventional CD-ROM.
    from this article:
    https://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/05/11/news_6097116.html?tag=gs_lnav_whatispsp
    So it will have a battery life of 2.5 hours with video, and 10 hours for audio playback only. What about gameplay? Is it with 2.5 hours? Don't know.
    And this is straight from the Nintendo site:
    Nintendo said:
    New Media: For its compact cards, the unit uses newly developed semiconductor memory, which allows for lower cost, shorter manufacturing time and memory capacity of more than one gigabit of information.
    from this page:
    https://www.nintendo.com/e3_2004/ds/ds_overview.jsp
    So the "cartrdgies(spelling)" will be a least a gig and a low cost solution. It will have a battery life of about 10 hours according to Gamespot. I hope this solves any disputes.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back