• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Finally, Facts about DS and PSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missingno Baby

Moyasimon Addict
    Years
    a1337a said:
    And how exactly is a console capable of sexuality?
    LOL!! *adds to best quotes, coming soon to MB's sig near U*
    BTW, I'm totally lost, I think the PSP might fail with 2 hrs of playingtime...
    Huh? Like i said, I am real lost. All I know is, the PSP is from sony and DS is from NINTENDO!!
    Um, what unit of measurement comes after a gigabyte?

puni puni~

aaaaaa

Okay, boys and girls, 1Gb is *not* one Gigabyte.
    It's one Gigabit.
    Which is actually 128MB. 1/16 or so of what Sony's media can hold.

And the next from Gigabyte is Terabyte, 1024 Gigabytes.

John Denver

Banned
    Years
    See I told you she could read all that Jargon...Frankly a1337a, I have no idea what most of your previous posts meant...I undestood byte, idiot, and 128mb...hmm

And stop spamming Fudge01, honestly. For the life of me I cannot find the link that I found that information...it just looked good to me and I posted it...it could be correct, it could be flat out lies...I doubt they're all correct, seeing as companies can decided to change the specs of their systems moments before they distribute them.

Since nothing but speculation can be said of both systems hardware, we'll just have to wait and see until someting is confirmed from the official sources.

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
    Years
    Sony said:
    PSP? Product Specifications
    Product Name:

PlayStation?Portable (PSP)

Color:
    Black

Dimensions:
    Approx. 170 mm (L) x 74 mm (W) x 23 mm (D)
    Weight: Approx. 260 g (including battery)
    CPU: PSP CPU
    (System clock frequency 1~333MHz)

Main Memory:
    32MB

Embedded DRAM:
    4MB

Display:

4.3 inch, 16:9 widescreen TFT LCD
    480 x 272 pixel (16.77 million colors)
    Max. 200 cd/m2 (with brightness control)

Speakers:
    Built-in stereo speakers

Main Input/Output:

IEEE 802.11b (Wi-Fi)
    USB 2.0 (Target)
    Memory Stick? PRO Duo
    IrDA
    IR Remote (SIRCS)

Disc Drive:
    UMD Drive (Playback only)

Profile:
    PSP Game
    UMD Audio
    UMD Video

Main Connectors:
    DC OUT 5V
    Terminals for charging built-in battery
    Headphone/Microphone/Control connector

Keys/Switches:
    Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left)Analog pad
    Enter keys (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square)
    Left, Right keys
    START, SELECT, HOME
    POWER On/Hold/Off switch
    Brightness control, Sound Mode, Volume +/-
    Wireless LAN On/Off switch
    UMD Eject

Power:
    Built-in lithium-ion battery, AC adaptor
    Access Control: Region Code, Parental Control
    Accessories:
    Stand
    Headphone with remote commander
    Headphone with remote commander and microphone
    External battery pack
    Case
    Strap
    E3 Prototype Exhibition: USB Camera for PSP
    USB GPS for PSP
    USB Keyboard for PSP

UMD Specifications

Dimensions:
    Approx. 65 mm (W) x 64 mm (D) x 4.2 mm (H)

Weight:
    Approx. 10g
    Disc Diameter: 60 mm
    Maximum Capacity: 1.8GB (Single-sided, dual layer)
    Laser wavelength: 660nm (Red laser)
    Encryption: AES 128bit
    Profile: PSP Game (full function)
    UMD Audio (codec ATRAC3plus?, PCM, (MPEG4 AVC))
    UMD Video (codec MPEG4 AVC, ATRAC3plus?,
    Caption PNG)
    Hmm notice they don't say anything about battery life. Are they afraid it will ruin their system?

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
    Battery life: Ok here is something to think about. Who here likes to be held down by a cable when playing your handheld game system? When I get a new handheld the one think I hate is something stoping me from going to another room with it or walking around with it. The PSP is going to suck with 2.5 hours of battery life. Look at the SP, you see how much battery life that thing has. Like Kip-kip said the battery life is a big facter. Any one remember the people that said the SP would never go anywhere? "Every one has a GBA who would want to spend money and get an SP", well it has the largest battery life of any handheld and it has sold more game systems then any other one out there.

DS Vs PSP: Ok another thing I like about the DS is the folding screen, my SP does not have a scratch on the screen yet my GBA and GBC is full of them. The same will go for the PSP and the DS (no one likes scratches on it).
    I got to give the PSP a pat on the back for being able to play some movies on it, that's going to be a good thing on the PSP.
    The way I'm looking at it the size is going to make some difference in all this. Like I can just grab my SP and put it in my pocket yet the GBA is going to be harder to put in. Same with both of the DS and PSP, they are around the size of the GBA (maybe even larger).
    The thing that is going to cut the PSP down a lot is the price, who will want to pay 350-500 bucks for a handheld? And the DS is going to be around 200-250. It's like a ripoff to pay that much for the PSP.
    If you look the DS has more then 120 games in development and it's not even out yet. But you can bet a pretty penny that the PSP is not even that close to that many games. When you buy a new game system you want a lot of games to pick from, not just a few here where you are just getting this game to have a game with it (you want a game that looks good and you want, not just something to get by with).

And I don't see why everyone goes by the specs. I mean anyone remember the PS2 and GC? Sure the PS2 has better specs then the GC but my PS2 locked up before (and not just mine) and it slows down to a crawl when I do a few things on it. But on my GC something with a lot more things going on (it would lock up if it was the PS2) it don't miss a lick, it keeps going and does not slow down at all. So don't count the DS out for not having as good specs as the PSP (Sony made a real crazy move by adding all the stuff they added to the PS2 just to slow it down when some one plays it).

D: I just looked at Nintendo.com and here is the best I came up with.

Nintendo said:
    Dual Screens: Two LCD screens offer one of the most groundbreaking game-play advances ever developed: experiencing a game from two perspectives at once. Imagine the possibilities. In a racing game, drivers might see their own vehicle's perspective on one screen and an overall track view on the other. In a role-playing game, the action could take place on the first screen while the second provides a reference for a player's tools inventory. Game play also could use both screens at once, offering a giant boss for heroes to defeat. In the future, games could be created allowing users to play games on one screen while text messaging other DS users on the other. Each 3-inch screen can reproduce a true 3-D view and is backlit to assure comfortable play in any lighting condition. Touch Screen: The lower screen will offer something never before provided by any game device: PDA-like touch capabilities. Players no longer have to rely on just buttons to move characters or shift perspectives. They can navigate menus or access inventory items simply by touching the screen with stylus or fingertip. A software-based keyboard might even allow the screen to be used as an input center for games and messaging. The possibilities are limited only by developers' imaginations. The screen will have a tougher film cover for durability, and will come with a stylus.

Microphone: An available microphone port means that in the future, players might need only to tell their games what to do. DS software could identify everything from voice commands to hand-clapping. Players might be able to move their characters simply by telling them which way to go. The voice capabilities also could allow gamers to chat with one another over the Internet while playing.

Wireless: DS users will be able to connect with a local wireless network of up to 16 players. Nintendo's guaranteed range is 30 feet, but will extend far beyond that depending on circumstances. It assures high response rates required for real time game play, and will make use of both IEEE 802.11 and Nintendo's proprietary communication protocol, which provides low battery consumption. Players will be able to chat and play games without any connecting cords, completely untethered. The DS technology also provides for a wireless LAN connection, which could allow a theoretically infinite number of players to connect at a hot spot and compete at a central game hub on the Internet, even if they're thousands of miles apart.

Wireless Game Sharing: If software developers desire, multiple players can compete in wireless games, even if only one person has a game card inserted. Players could also test-play games for themselves as long as they stayed connected.

3-D: With the newly developed graphics engine, DS can reproduce impressive 3-D renderings that can surpass images displayed on the Nintendo? 64. Games will run at 60 frames per second, and allow details like fog effects and cel shading.

Sound: The 16-channel sound allows for greatly expanded use of voices and music, and a richer, more immersive game experience. A plug for headphones transmits stereo sound.

Battery & Power Management: The battery is rechargeable and the unit features a low-energy-consumption design. The DS also has Power Management functions of Sleep mode and Standby mode. In Sleep mode, players can stop and resume game play whenever they like. If the user receives a message from a friend or user nearby, DS activates itself from Standby mode.

Processing: The unit will run on two processors, one ARM9 one ARM7.

New Media: For its compact cards, the unit uses newly developed semiconductor memory, which allows for lower cost, shorter manufacturing time and memory capacity of more than one gigabit of information.

Dual Slots: Nintendo DS makes a vast library of Game Boy? Advance games readily available. Developers could find ways to make new connections between GBA games and DS games. The GBA port could be used for new hardware, enormously expanding the functional expandability of the DS.

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
    Years
    Dakota said:
    Thats a very good point Shadow...does nintendo have a list out like that? Do you have a link to where you got that info?
    I just went to playstation.com and did a search for PSP specs and that came up.

And it's been said before, we won't know for sure until the systems come out. For all we know, both could be horrible flops. The one thing that we can agree on is that X-Box sucks (except for a few games).

bass sp

great independent navi.
    Years
    now psp only have like five games. for most of the people the only good game will be the metal gear acid. And nintendo will have mario kart and mario 64x4 will be a dream come true playing that game in multiplayer it will be extremly good.

Brittany

Back?
    Years
    Shadow said:
    Hmm notice they don't say anything about battery life. Are they afraid it will ruin their system?
    Maybe its because the final version of the PSP hasnt been developed? For all we know, PSP is gonna have 15 screens and it fits your cpu data onto a single memory card. And it plays GCN games too! And you can put GBA games into the memory card slot.... yea thats it. If I'm not mistaken, PSP and DS changed their designs recently. They can also change other things aswell. They can manipulate their system to whatever extent they see fitted.

fudge01 said:
    Man this brittany is every where were she heres psp and ds in the same sentence -_- kingdom hearts chains of memories is already going to be on gba(sp) so now who is asking square enix to port it over and ffx1 by far was not more popular than ffcc and battery power meh what a waste of time even buying the console and it seems brittany actually works for playstation with all the crap she comes up with how would you know what there going to do where did you get your info from hu hu hu i've never had lag with my gamecube ever but wiht my ps2 heh alot
    Ah yes I am everywhere about this topic, because I know that morons like you will post messages like this.

FFXI was more popular than FFCC.

And did I not already tell you about loading? Gamecube is actually my worst experiance in gaming concerning lag/graphics.

Last edited:

Brittany

Back?
    Years
    Actually, there was another console developed by them. It was supposed to be after SNES. It has no name and they stopped developing it during the last stages of production.

Impossible? The Panasonic Q can play GCN games and DVDs too.

Kipkip

Join the Revolution
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jun 24, 2007
    Like I posted before, which apperntly no one read, the battery life for the PSP will be 2.5 hours for video and 10 hours for audio playback only. We don't know about the battery life for playing games. It maybe 2.5 hours, or it maybe more. Who knows. No, I am not a Sony fanboy nor a Nintendo fanboy.

Anyway, it's kind of strange that Nintendo will put the capability online play for a handheld. They didn't do it for the GCN, but they'll do it for the DS. Weird. :confused: It would be fun because you can draw with the stylus and send them to your friends around the world. :classic: That's cool. It's also cool that you can play movies and songs on the PSP. :classic: I would want to get both, but I think PSP will cost too much for me. :'(

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
    Years
    Heh, get your facts straight. The GCN was online a week before the X-Box in Europe. Except no-one really developed for online GC games, only the Phantasy Star Online series.

EDIT: And don't forget the Warp-pipe Project, which added several other games to the GameCube's online capability, including Mario Kart Double Dash among other titles.

Last edited:

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
    Years
    Brittany15 said:
    Impossible? The Panasonic Q can play GCN games and DVDs too.
    Maybe perhaps because it is a Gamecube made to play DVDs?

Brittany15 said:
    And did I not already tell you about loading? Gamecube is actually my worst experiance in gaming concerning lag/graphics.
    Your worst experience. Seems as though everyone else's is with PS2. I've had several PS2 games freeze on me but never had a Gamecube game.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
    Brittany15 said:
    Oh have you ever played FFX-2? That game slows down a lot (I mean a lot) when I am playing it. And then go play Star Wars RS3 and have 200 Ties going all around, stuff blowing up and two players and you will see that I am right when I say the GC is better then the PS2 on the speed Brittany.

Brittany

Back?
    Years
    Hey, wheres the Salmon?

Shadow said:

Maybe perhaps because it is a Gamecube made to play DVDs?

Your worst experience. Seems as though everyone else's is with PS2. I've had several PS2 games freeze on me but never had a Gamecube game.
    Lol, true about the first part, but it was originally a project without Nintendo's approval :shocked: ! For all we know, Nintendo will give the approval for PSP to do this also!! Just because Nintendo and Sony are the biggest competitors in the buisness, doesent mean that they won't give the approval!! lmao :D

Is it a conspiracy that this is a Pokemon forum, and there are Nintendo fans? I'm like the only one that is here to defend Sony. You may have more people that say that, but they are all Nintendo Fans.

If you came to a Sony forum, you would get flamed so badly! lol :P
    Come to think of it, thats what happened to a certain Sony fan coming to a Nintendo forum(me).

*Dreams about Pokemon being on a Sony system in the near future.* :P =P

Arcanine said:
    Oh have you ever played FFX-2? That game slows down a lot (I mean a lot) when I am playing it. And then go play Star Wars RS3 and have 200 Ties going all around, stuff blowing up and two players and you will see that I am right when I say the GC is better then the PS2 on the speed Brittany.
    Yea I had FFX-2 since before it came out.(stole it from my friend who stole it from their store) And I have never experiances what you speak of.

Actually, I just started playing it a sec ago(to make sure of this) and the longest bit of lag, was the first load, And that only took about 5 Seconds. Loading time for missions was like 2 seconds, FMVs were like 1 second, and gameplay was smooth with no lag.

Last edited:

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
    Brittany15 said:
    *Dreams about Pokemon being on a Sony system in the near future.* :P =P
    Are you crazy? Sony owning Pokemon is like the craziest (or stupidest if you want to go that far) thing I have ever heard. And it will never happen, Nintendo will never sell off Pokemon to Sony. It's like selling off Mario to Sony.

And you should be happy this is a Pokemon forum and not a Nintendo forum, if it was then you would be flamed real bad (and I would be one doing it too).

Brittany15 said:
    Yea I had FFX-2 since before it came out.(stole it from my friend who stole it from their store) And I have never experiances what you speak of.
    How far did you get? The second level? I know what I'm talking about, that game slows down.

Brittany15 said:
    Actually, I just started playing it a sec ago(to make sure of this) and the longest bit of lag, was the first load, And that only took about 5 Seconds. Loading time for missions was like 2 seconds, FMVs were like 1 second, and gameplay was smooth with no lag.
    See that backs up what I was saying, you just started playing it, so how would you know if it slowed down? I beat it, I know it slows down.

Brittany

Back?
    Years
    Shwag

Arcanine said:
    Are you crazy? Sony owning Pokemon is like the craziest (or stupidest if you want to go that far) thing I have ever heard. And it will never happen, Nintendo will never sell off Pokemon to Sony. It's like selling off Mario to Sony.

And you should be happy this is a Pokemon forum and not a Nintendo forum, if it was then you would be flamed real bad (and I would be one doing it too).
    That was thought of Final Fantasy. Now who owns Final Fantasy??? Sony. It sounded like the craziest idea, and Nobody thought it would happen.

Just a penny for your thoughts.

And for the second part... Isn't there some simularity between a Pokemon forum and a Nintendo forum? Its not an extremely hard concept to understand. Come to Adventchildren.net forums. Its a Final Fantasy(sony) site(forum), not a Pokemon(nintendo) forum. Lets see if you don't get flamed there.

Last edited:

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
    Brittany15 said:
    That was thought of Final Fantasy. Now who owns Final Fantasy??? Sony. It sounded like the craziest idea, and NObody thought it would happen.
    If you got your facts straight, Sony does not own Final Fantasy. Square Enix does and before that Squaresoft (they merged).

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back