• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: General Roleplay Discussion Thread "the RPD" (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Generally speaking I'm not usually a fan of playing as the pokemon (I don't know why), but Mystery Dungeon RPs usually do pretty well so I say go for it.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Generally speaking I'm not usually a fan of playing as the pokemon (I don't know why), but Mystery Dungeon RPs usually do pretty well so I say go for it.
    Generally I prefer being human in roleplays, so I see where you're coming from. But I've had a few enjoyable RP experiences as a pokémon before. I guess it depends more on the RP itself, than the species of your character. Sometimes.

MurkMire

[font=special elite][color=#FF3399]Toxic Terror[/c
    Years
  • I also vote for a PMD style roleplay. I remember the last one I joined ages ago... I played a tough guy who started as a Snubbull. <3

But, it never got off the ground. </3

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
  • How is it already time for Member of the Year stuff again? We just did that, like, yesterday guys. Come on.

Wow, I've done almost nothing in this last year. That's depressing. xD

But, Sylveon, as far as the mega evolution roleplay goes, I guess PMD is the preferred style. Mine is going to be more journey/mission based, and the only other play-as-Pokémon roleplays around right now are Pokémon Odyssey and the like, if I'm correct, which is certainly a bit of a different theme, so that should be fine.

Beyond my mega evolution roleplay, I have three more in the works/ready to go. I'll likely do the mega evolution one first, but I'm not sure when/what order I'll do the other ones when I get around to them.

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    People have come up with PMD RPs in the past (me being one of those) or thought of an RP of the sort; it's only natural, after you've played the games. The concept of being in a rescue/exploration team with friends is adorable and makes for a very fertile playground as an RP. It seems a lot of fun, but it isn't always so.

I haven't been a member of such RPs, but as an observer from afar, the thing I have noticed is that MD RPs of the past, posted either in this forum or in another RPing forum, fail to make use of their fertility and end up being a less significant experience than what the games have to offer, often only resembling a mere re-make of the original concept with no new ideas and lack of ingenuity. It may just be me, of course, but it seems that the team spirit and the cheerful environment present in the games is painfully absent in Dungeon RPs. Furthermore, the sense of being an explorer or a rescuer is weaker, as emphasis is put on character development or what ends up being too much of mindless fun just after the characters were introduced, and right afterwards the RP dies for lack of interest.

I was always very interested in RPs of the kind, despite never actually having joined one. I'd like to see a PMD RP with new ideas that also stay faithful to the original concept - the Guild from the second games was a great addition, for example. What if there was a coalition of exploration/rescue teams, or some sort of alliance? If any of you have any ideas or are readying a PMD RP, and you decided that the Planning thread would be of any help, I'd be glad to assist you in the making of your RP

Plumbum

The Dandy Highwayman (That You're Too Scared to Me
    Years
  • I'd like to say a lot of what Ray said over again, PMD RPs are certainly something to go careful with, I've also always noticed the tendency for them to very quickly become chaotic and unfocused - when the exploration goes a little too far in the RP basically devolves into a bunch of guys dicking about.

I'd use mashed potato as an analogy, but the analogy I was working on fell apart halfway through. Which is surprisingly appropriate.

Manche

Genetist
    Years
    • Seen Mar 22, 2015
    Good day to everyone, is gthere any active roleplay that enables play a fusion pokemon

Quest

Veteran Roleplayer
    Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2023
    Unfortunately, I don't believe there is at the moment. Of course, feel free to design one yourself!

In the mean time, you can check out the Roleplay Library! Even if there isn't an RP like the one you're looking for, there might be others that interest you!

I'd like to say a lot of what Ray said over again, PMD RPs are certainly something to go careful with, I've also always noticed the tendency for them to very quickly become chaotic and unfocused - when the exploration goes a little too far in the RP basically devolves into a bunch of guys dicking about.

I'd use mashed potato as an analogy, but the analogy I was working on fell apart halfway through. Which is surprisingly appropriate.

This might have just summarised my views of most PMD type RPs. As some others said before, just remember to be unique with it. Instead of making a carbon copy of the games, add a little flair of your own!

Manche

Genetist
    Years
    • Seen Mar 22, 2015
    and that's what i aim for. sentient pokemon mutants or at least sentient enough to speak and have some interesting character development and exploring the benefits and drawbacks of being a fusion. I have some ideas myself of what to be

Last edited:

Swolligator

Butcher of the Sands
    Years
  • and that's what i aim for. sentient pokemon mutants or at least sentient enough to speak and have some interesting character development and exploring the benefits and drawbacks of being a fusion. I have some ideas myself of what to be

A good idea then would be to type up your idea and put it in the Planning and Review thread in the Lounge. Would be the best way to gauge interest and more experienced RPers can help you refine it.

Manche

Genetist
    Years
    • Seen Mar 22, 2015
    A good idea then would be to type up your idea and put it in the Planning and Review thread in the Lounge. Would be the best way to gauge interest and more experienced RPers can help you refine it.

so i did... look it up, i hope a good answer soon

Swolligator

Butcher of the Sands
    Years
  • Hey guys,

As I'm updating the RP Library, I'm looking for new things to add and improve to the thread. Could those GMs of you who have Active RPs please PM a brief description of your RP to me so that I can add these to the Library.

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2014
    Rp partners?

Hey. I'm new to the idea of pokemon rping. But... I'm willing to learn!
    I'm more of a 1x1 kind of roleplayer. Would anyone be interested?

:)

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    New RPer alert! Welcome, SilverRot :D Unfortunately, the minimum number of players in an RP is 4, as stated here by the rules of the RPCorner, which you'll want to check out if you're just starting out as an RPer.

I recall there being discussion about 1x1 RPs a while back in this very thread; if I remember correctly, we concluded that the options you have if you definitely want to RP this way are two: either do it over PMs, or make a "collaborative" fan fic in the Fan Fiction Forum. If the RP will be of some quality, I suggest the latter - it doesn't hurt letting others view your work. :P

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Hey. I'm new to the idea of pokemon rping. But... I'm willing to learn!
    I'm more of a 1x1 kind of roleplayer. Would anyone be interested?

:)
    I'm guessing you RP over chat, maybe? I think Konokodemon usually enjoys that, maybe hit her up with a message and see.

Chocolate™

Awesome Dragon
    Years
  • Hey guys, not sure if you'll remember me but I used to be inactive on the RP forum before. Wanted to chat with you'll guys while I was waiting for a casual RP to pop up.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Hey guys, not sure if you'll remember me but I used to be inactive on the RP forum before. Wanted to chat with you'll guys while I was waiting for a casual RP to pop up.
    Welcome back yo! There hasn't been many new RPs for weeks, only a few... But why not join Fargona together with me? :3 At least I think there's spots there still. Not sure how casual you'd call that though, haha.

Chocolate™

Awesome Dragon
    Years
  • Welcome back yo! There hasn't been many new RPs for weeks, only a few... But why not join Fargona together with me? :3 At least I think there's spots there still. Not sure how casual you'd call that though, haha.

Depends upon how many posts you're required to do haha. Isn't Fargona one of the older IPs that had stopped for a while?

P.S: Just wondering if anybody shows any interest in this old RP of mine: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=315195

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back