• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Global Warming

Do you think it will be possible to reduce the Global Warming?

• Yes

Votes: 37 47.4%
  • No

Votes: 9 11.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • Are you crazy, man?!?

Votes: 9 11.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jonsploder

Teh SHPLODAR
    Years
    Have you ever seen the movie "The Day after Tomorrow"?

That movie is a great explanation of what may happen to the world if the Global Warming continues, like great storms and a new Ice Age. There are some countries that are doing anything to stop it (like mine) and there are some countries that are doing nothing because they would lose much $$$$$.

[/SIZE]

That is CRAP! That is very unrealistic and is rubbish. Its american to the max. It does not happen, that fast. It takes years, actually research this, don't prove things based on sci-fi movies.

I do how-ever support the idea of gloabl warming.

Gabri

m8
    Years
    That is CRAP! That is very unrealistic and is rubbish. Its american to the max. It does not happen, that fast. It takes years, actually research this, don't prove things based on sci-fi movies.

I do how-ever support the idea of gloabl warming.

I didn't say that it would happen that fast, I said that it MAY HAPPEN, but it may take decades or centuries.

jonsploder

Teh SHPLODAR
    Years
    Whatever, I thnk that this thread is a waste, either you do something or you don't. Its causing greenhouse emissions now to have your PC on, think about that.

Sgt. Custard

Novice Hacker
    Years
    Actually, a new ice age WILL happen because the world's climate runs in cycles thousands of years longs, we're currently in a hot bit, in a few thousand years we will be in a cold bit. Why should global warming directly cause an ice age? Natural climate change yes but not warming.

Incidentally there are also within the long cycles, shorter cycles of a few hundred years causing mini ice ages and warmer periods, for example in the last mini ice age the Thames used to freeze, something unheard of today.

We are merely experiencing the combining effects of both a long and short term warm period.

PikaPi123

Pikachu Power!!!
    Years
    Last year I did a science project on Global Warming and I won 1st place. Let's just say Global Warming is not a good thing. If nobody does anything about it our world will go to an end way earlier than we expected. If everyone pitched in and stop polluting and wasting we can stop Global Warming. Did anybody see "An Innocovient Truth"? That movie made me very concerned about our world.

Sgt. Custard

Novice Hacker
    Years
    As I said above, the inconvenient truth moved the two graphs of temperature and CO2 levels so they fitted, in reality, the CO2 rise came on average 800 AFTER the temperature rise and vice versa because the deep oceans take so long to warm up or cool down, so their temperatures lag behind air temperature by that amount and when water is warm it releases dissolved CO2 and more if even warmer, but if it is cool, CO2 is dissolved and none is released and more is absorbed if it is cooler.

Gabri

m8
    Years
    Why should global warming directly cause an ice age?

It can, because I heard of some ocean currents that crosses all the Atlantic Ocean and keeps warm water moving through the Atlantic. But with the Global Warming and the iceberg meltdowns, the sea keeps freezing on some zones and breaks that current, causing an Ice Age. At least is what I heard somewhere, if it is wrong tell me please.

Erimgard

Rocket's Revenge
    Years
    hate to repeat myself, but I'm going to once again point to the fact that ice is constantly melting and refreezing all over. some icebergs are getting larger, some smaller. Antarctica and Iceland are actually gaining ice. but the reporters don't tell you that. they tell you "the antarcic peninsula is melting" this is true. but they DONT say that the Antarctic peninsula is TWO PERCENT of antarctica, and that the majority of antarctica is actually getting colder.

Last year I did a science project on Global Warming and I won 1st place. Let's just say Global Warming is not a good thing. If nobody does anything about it our world will go to an end way earlier than we expected. If everyone pitched in and stop polluting and wasting we can stop Global Warming. Did anybody see "An Innocovient Truth"? That movie made me very concerned about our world.

could you show me some statistics/points you used? I'd be interested to see them

Kylie-chan

[span="background:#000; padding: 2px 10px;"][color
    Years
    Global Warming is a load of rubbish. The Earth has been warming up ever since the last Ice Age. It's natural.

It's not supposed to be warming up this fast at all. It's that attitude, that refusal to take responsibility, that is responsible for this in the first place. Humans are so selfish. No other life form lays such waste to its habitat. It's just plain stupid.

Gunn

horror resident
    Years
    Incidentally there are also within the long cycles, shorter cycles of a few hundred years causing mini ice ages and warmer periods, for example in the last mini ice age the Thames used to freeze, something unheard of today.

Yes, but the last mini ice age has no current evidence that it was a natural process. Not that I'm countering your statement here. Russian scientists actually predict that there maybe another Ice Age in the 50 years, based on solar cycles. I'm not really sure if this is somehow related to the current increase of global temperature.

Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2009
    Well, we are due for a new ice age any time now, but what will global warming do to the ice age? What if the Ice Age is weakened by the effects of Global Warming? But in any case, most cars's fuel would freeze, and power plants would be shut down. And since most of the northern hemisphere would be likely to freeze, there would me mass evacuations and crowding of southern cities.

But, anyway as far as Global Warming is concerned, Hurricanes are getting MUCH stronger every year,( which doesn't affect me very much, cuz of where I live( but it's still scary ))I'm afraid it won't snow this year, because we've been getting less and less of it that sticks to the ground every year....

....I wanted to go door-to-door shoveling people's property for money....:(

@ gaz-is-the-best: Then Earth does infact heat up after every ice age, but it has never heated up as fast as it is now.

Sgt. Custard

Novice Hacker
    Years
    Yes, but the last mini ice age has no current evidence that it was a natural process.

The last mini ice-age was well before the industrial revolution, so unless humans were having some as yet unpublicised impact on global climate before then, it is definitely a natural process.

You have to imagine the regualar cycles in climate like a sine graph. On the short-term cycles, troughs cause mini ice ages and peaks cause warm periods. On the long-term cycles, troughs cause full blown ice ages and peaks very much warmer periods.

The climate has, overall, been slowly climbing for a long time due to the long term cycle. The climate today can easily be explained by the short-term cycles as the climate during the medieval warm period was the same if not hotter than today. The relatively fast rate of warming is accounted for by the fact that we are also, as well as being on an assent in the short-term cycle, on a very steep part of the long-term graph.

Hurricanes are getting MUCH stronger every year,( which doesn't affect me very much, cuz of where I live

They really aren't... we've had far fewer hurricanes this season than we have for years and years for this time of year.

Cross

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2008
    One thing though. How can weather too cold and weather too hot both be "global warming"?
    It's called nature. It's weather goes to-and-fro all the time. It's not supposed to stay the same temperature all the time. If global warming we're to cause any REAL problems, it would be like Hawaii weathers getting under 39 and Alaska weather getting over 80. But it's always just a new record of temperature these people freak about.

Sgt. Custard

Novice Hacker
    Years
    Hear, hear heatran!

Oh and something I heard on the radio today. Apparently people have been going on about the fact that solar activity slowed considerably down about ten years ago, but what they didn't notice is that temperatures also levelled out since 1998 and actually cooled a little. That's data from all over the globe, plus sea temperatures and even low orbit-satellites + weather balloons!

Hear, hear heatran!

Oh and something I heard on the radio today. Apparently people have been going on about the fact that solar activity slowed considerably down about ten years ago, but what they didn't notice is that temperatures also levelled out since 1998 and actually cooled a little. That's data from all over the globe, plus sea temperatures and even low orbit-satellites + weather balloons

Last edited:

Gabri

m8
    Years
    Global Warming is reducing now, thank God we are reducing pollution.

As someone said before, allexlew...

Global Warming is a natural process.

Global Warming at the current rate isn't
    . We release too much CO2 and other gases into the atmosphere.

jonsploder

Teh SHPLODAR
    Years
    llok if you guys need to understand what to do the look at it from the start to the end.

*The start* Without humans the world was fine...

*The middle* Humans create cabon dioxide, the world turns unstable.

*The end* I shoot everyone with my machine gun here *pats machine gun* and the world turns back to normal.

Other conclusion; Humans stop doing whatever they were doing and the world is happy and is back to normal.
    Either way the outcome is good:laugh:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back