• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen HeartGold/SoulSilver Speculation

Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2022
    Well, Nintendo basically has been working on these games since the release of Diamond and Pearl. This year makes it one of the best years to come out with it because it'll be Gold and Silver's 10th anniversary. Plus, Gamfreak did earn a lot of money from DPPt, but now they are looking for more all the while and probably whether we know it or not in the works of their next generation already.

As for the remark on having all three starters, either the one matching you Trainer ID will be the one to follow, or the starter up in front first.
    The games haven't literally been worked on since Diamond and Pearl. Sellers tend to exaggerate the truth.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    Exaggeration or not, you can tell these games have been in thought for sometime, seeing as how deeply implemented DPPt was with old Johto hints.

Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2022
    Exaggeration or not, you can tell these games have been in thought for sometime, seeing as how deeply implemented DPPt was with old Johto hints.
    Surely, the idea has been conceived for a long time, but DPPt was not "deeply implemented with hints"; there were but a few small references, and Hoenn and Kanto had references too. References =/= hints.

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    Curious, where were the Hoenn & Kanto "hints"? You could consider the references they made as hints, because I don't remember seeing anything about Hoenn/Kanto. But even if so Kanto could be in the remake thus adding to the "hints".

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    Red Gyarados, Mysterious White Rock, Jasmine, Secret Potion, and so many more. I think there were quite a few references or hints [whichever] in DPPt applying to a GSDS remake. It is more than what they've done in previous games that's for sure.

Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2022
    Curious, where were the Hoenn & Kanto "hints"? You could consider the references they made as hints, because I don't remember seeing anything about Hoenn/Kanto. But even if so Kanto could be in the remake thus adding to the "hints".

Not hints. There were multiple references to Hoenn, almost as much as Kanto and Johto. Again, please don't confuse hints with references.

Red Gyarados, Mysterious White Rock, Jasmine, Secret Potion, and so many more. I think there were quite a few references or hints [whichever] in DPPt applying to a GSDS remake. It is more than what they've done in previous games that's for sure.
    https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_cross-generational_references#To_Generation_I_3

An almost equal amount of hints toward all three generations.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Curious, where were the Hoenn & Kanto "hints"? You could consider the references they made as hints, because I don't remember seeing anything about Hoenn/Kanto. But even if so Kanto could be in the remake thus adding to the "hints".
    There are some references to these places, although if I remember correctly, some were only in Platinum.

However, I'd add that in my opinion, they were less noticeable, and plentiful than the numerous references Johto had in D/P/Pt. It was basically a goldmine, really. One can say 'so because they mentioned Hoenn, it means they're making a RSE remake this gen too', which is obviously not true, but fact is, these references are fewer in number compared to the references to Johto and events in GSC - far more specific as well, I might add.

Rather than just general mentions of the region name (e.g. 'I was born in Hoenn!' 'I want to go to Hoenn for my vacation!' which makes up a number of those references listed in that link posted above (and some are vague - foreign dex entries being the same as FR/LG, and choice of Pokemon in PBR seemingly so), they went to Johto-specific events constantly - Red Gyarados, Eggs, Prof. Elm, Whirl Islands, Ragecandybars, a 'Dragon-taming champion' (Lance)... One mention to Kanto also doubled as a reference to GSC - mentions of Clefairys dancing at Mt Moon is one, as the Clefairy dance only occured in GSC. They also play more of a part in the game, making them more noticeable (Red Gyarados show in the intro of DP, the SecretPotion a necessary Key Item, etc, etc), as opposed to people just saying 'I came from here blah blah blah').

Such a number of references were hardly necessary (heck - why would they have Jasmine give you Waterfall when anyone else could have done it, for instance?), so I say it's fair for some people to take it as hints, really.

Not that references meant they were making it then already (this was an argument made many a time before the games were announced), but it does show they considered it, if you also took note of the in-game coding, allowing Pokemon to say in their status screen that they came from Johto, even though this is impossible until the release of the GS remakes here. (And the fact Jasmine had a sprite already).

Apparently, according to articles they've been working on this game for at least its 3rd year now, so one can't say they were really already working on the during DP's release, but they certainly had considered it, and already had taken measures then for it, during its development.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    Not hints. There were multiple references to Hoenn, almost as much as Kanto and Johto. Again, please don't confuse hints with references.
    I do believe I had hints, in quotes. Therefore I wasn't stating that they were actual hints, just that people can be lead to believe that they are infact hints. ANd that fact that they had so many references, more so than Hoenn and Kanto could lead to believe that they are hints. And who's to say they're not?

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    Basically, they chose to use a larger perspective on Johto events like stated before over other regional references. Red Gyarados being one of them. Plus, keeping Sinnoh during the same timeline as Johto has a sort of connection to the game leading up to what is happening now, a Generation II remake.

Akira Uchiha

Akatsuki Shinobi! ^^
    Years
  • O.o what happened? LOL I left for a few days and the thread size is like doubled?! XDDDD Why is everyone arguing about if "hints is the right term for the references though? -.- does it even matter ehat people call it? ^^ Also, when did they mention Prof. Elm, Whirl Islands, Ragecandybars, a Dragon-taming champion, or Clefairies in DP?? I never saw it... was it in Platinum instead?

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    O.o what happened? LOL I left for a few days and the thread size is like doubled?! XDDDD Why is everyone arguing about if "hints is the right term for the references though? -.- does it even matter ehat people call it? ^^ Also, when did they mention Prof. Elm, Whirl Islands, Ragecandybars, a Dragon-taming champion, or Clefairies in DP?? I never saw it... was it in Platinum instead?

Because we SPECULATE a lot. ^^;
    It's more about if the references could be referred to as hints. But it's not that important anyway. I think those "references" are in Platinum I didn't look at the very top of the page so I don't know for sure.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • O.o what happened? LOL I left for a few days and the thread size is like doubled?! XDDDD Why is everyone arguing about if "hints is the right term for the references though? -.- does it even matter ehat people call it? ^^ Also, when did they mention Prof. Elm, Whirl Islands, Ragecandybars, a Dragon-taming champion, or Clefairies in DP?? I never saw it... was it in Platinum instead?
    Eh, gotta talk about something, I guess. =P But know, it doesn't matter anymore as such as the remakes are confirmed now. But before it was quite mentioned.

As for those things you mentioned:
    - Prof Elm I believe was hinted at in D/P when you got the Happini egg, but in Platinum, the guy who used to give you it talks about Prof Elm more now, having seemingly known him and all.
    - Whirl Islands were mention in D/P/Pt - an old man in a house in that hotel-like place (west of Sunnyshore City, south of the Lake that was blown up by Galactic) will talk about the Whirl Islands, amogonst other things (his dialogue can be a number of things - kepp talking to him until he says it).
    - Clefairys at Mt Moon - same guy above talks about them dancing in Mt Moon. - Dragon taming champion - some Dragon tamer trainer mentions this, I believe.
    - Ragecandybars - Platinum only - the Dept. Store in Veilstone has a bottom floor now, and with it two people talking about that item, as an item (one says he'd be selling them if he hadn't run out).

Or, just look at the link someone posted already: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_cross-generational_references#To_Generation_I_3
    Or better yet - here, listing all references to Johto and GSC, I believe: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokémon_Gold_and_Silver_remake_speculation#Generation_IV

Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2016
    If they limit it only to Johto Pokémon, then that wouldn't be so overwhelming for me, I'd prefer they do it to other Gen Pokémon too.
    I don't think so...
    They are the star of Hg/Ss, it's only natural that they can have this exclusive feature.

Many people said that Pokemon like Goldeen can't follow the trainer,
    but I think no, they could follow us when we're surfing... :)

Eh, gotta talk about something, I guess. =P But know, it doesn't matter anymore as such as the remakes are confirmed now. But before it was quite mentioned.

As for those things you mentioned:
    - Prof Elm I believe was hinted at in D/P when you got the Happini egg, but in Platinum, the guy who used to give you it talks about Prof Elm more now, having seemingly known him and all.
    - Whirl Islands were mention in D/P/Pt - an old man in a house in that hotel-like place (west of Sunnyshore City, south of the Lake that was blown up by Galactic) will talk about the Whirl Islands, amogonst other things (his dialogue can be a number of things - kepp talking to him until he says it).
    - Clefairys at Mt Moon - same guy above talks about them dancing in Mt Moon. - Dragon taming champion - some Dragon tamer trainer mentions this, I believe.
    - Ragecandybars - Platinum only - the Dept. Store in Veilstone has a bottom floor now, and with it two people talking about that item, as an item (one says he'd be selling them if he hadn't run out).

Or, just look at the link someone posted already: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_cross-generational_references#To_Generation_I_3
    Or better yet - here, listing all references to Johto and GSC, I believe: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Gold_and_Silver_remake_speculation#Generation_IV

Actually there are some hints on Fr/Lg too...
    -Celio metioned that Bill lives in Goldenrod.
    -Lance had a cousin who lives faraway.
    -Lance said that he would bring (Leaf or Red) to his hometown(Blackthorn) one day.

Anyway Platinum was the fast best selling games for a week...
    So I'm kinda wondering Hg/Ss's case - maybe Hg/Ss will be sold out for a day... lol

Last edited:

Ash987

Pokemon Trainer
    Years
  • I don't know whether this has been mentioned but, I wonder if they will have the Trick House in this game as well as if it will have contests and how they will work. I also wonder whether they will have a GTS and where it will be. Same with the battle tower considering it was only in Crystal.
    I think Kanto will have to be in (for all people thinking otherwise) or you wouldn't be able to get they other bird's item(eg: Rainbow wing to see Ho-oh on SoulSilver) from the guy in Pewter City. If they use the Plat. movesets which I think they will, how will the "original" Pokemon cope with their new evolutions? What will stop a Yanma learning Ancient power and evolving? If there is nothing to stop it evolving that will that mean a change in the Jhoto dex?

Another hint towards a remake was the fact that mass amounts of non-game specific legendaries that were capturable, but not the "Dogs".

Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2016
    I don't know whether this has been mentioned but, I wonder if they will have the Trick House in this game as well as if it will have contests and how they will work. I also wonder whether they will have a GTS and where it will be. Same with the battle tower considering it was only in Crystal.
    I think Kanto will have to be in (for all people thinking otherwise) or you wouldn't be able to get they other bird's item(eg: Rainbow wing to see Ho-oh on SoulSilver) from the guy in Pewter City. If they use the Plat. movesets which I think they will, how will the "original" Pokemon cope with their new evolutions? What will stop a Yanma learning Ancient power and evolving? If there is nothing to stop it evolving that will that mean a change in the Jhoto dex?

Another hint towards a remake was the fact that mass amounts of non-game specific legendaries that were capturable, but not the "Dogs".
    Trick House? O_o"
    That thing's from Hoenn, maybe you've play too much ShinyGold? O_o"
    GTS? Maybe it will build on One Island - The Pokemon Net Center might change into Pokemon GTS Center, or build on some additional places?
    Of course it is obvious that Kanto will reappear, BUT if it does not then the story will have a slight change...
    Yanma will NOT stop learning the move, but if the Johto-dex is not change...
    There are some possibilties:
    - Yanma can still evolve into Yanmega. But Yanmega will not be counted as Johto Pokemon.
    - Yanma will evolve, and Yanmega will be counted as Johto Pokemon - means Johto-dex will have revamp.
    - Yanma will not evolve, even he/she had AncientPower. Means the situation will be the same to Fr/Lg, as Chansey, Gloom, Onix, Poliwhirl and Scyther can not evolve into 2nd-Gen Pokemon.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    I'd want them to stop evolution to the next generation, because if they revamp the dex to allow some of the new Generation Pokémon that means everyone will be able trade with DPPt earlier and a lot of people will want some of their 4th Gen Pokémon to be engaged on their teams, making it less like how the originals had been. So for me, I'm hoping Pokémon like Yanma, Piloswine, and the others will randomly start to evolve, but then stop, just until after the National PokéDex is obtained.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I'd want them to stop evolution to the next generation, because if they revamp the dex to allow some of the new Generation Pokémon that means everyone will be able trade with DPPt earlier and a lot of people will want some of their 4th Gen Pokémon to be engaged on their teams, making it less like how the originals had been. So for me, I'm hoping Pokémon like Yanma, Piloswine, and the others will randomly start to evolve, but then stop, just until after the National PokéDex is obtained.
    Ofcourse they wont evolve,beside they can only evolve in D/P(Cause of the attacks and places)

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    I think it's ridiculous to purposely stop Pokemon evolving into later-Gen evolutions. I can see the logic behind not including 3-4th Gen Pokemon in the wild, or even among trainers, but it seems silly to stop evolutions of 1-2nd Gen mons. If you don't want to evolve them, you don't have to.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    It's not that people don't want them to evolve, it is just that they're keeping the PokéDex within line during the main plots of the game. Seeing as the game is a remake, it is like thinking Sinnoh and Hoenn never existed like before, therefore we're not allowed to obtain or have any Johto or Kanto Pokémon evolve into a later Gen stages, until after you get the National Dex, which is when Hoenn and Sinnoh kind of then are noticed in the game, allowing the new Pokémon to be allowed in afterwards. Basically, it'll probabaly keep the same set up like what they put in FRLG, and if they do, I won't blame them because having the newer Generation Pokémon put in so early will be like traveling in Sinnoh or Hoenn again except you're in Johto, but with new Pokémon, unlike how it was in GSC.

Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2016
    It's not that people don't want them to evolve, it is just that they're keeping the PokéDex within line during the main plots of the game. Seeing as the game is a remake, it is like thinking Sinnoh and Hoenn never existed like before, therefore we're not allowed to obtain or have any Johto or Kanto Pokémon evolve into a later Gen stages, until after you get the National Dex, which is when Hoenn and Sinnoh kind of then are noticed in the game, allowing the new Pokémon to be allowed in afterwards. Basically, it'll probabaly keep the same set up like what they put in FRLG, and if they do, I won't blame them because having the newer Generation Pokémon put in so early will be like traveling in Sinnoh or Hoenn again except you're in Johto, but with new Pokémon, unlike how it was in GSC.
    They could limit which 3rd, 4th-gen Pokemon will or will not trad-able.
    I think they should only include these Pokemon in Hg/Ss from 3rd, 4th gen:
    Spoiler:

And of course drop out some Kanto Pokemon in Hg/Ss.

Back